Tips for TD's?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

Fukinay #1 Posted Mar 10 2018 - 04:11

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 4613 battles
I've gotten over the weird feeling of fully casemated tanks and I have to say I quite like them.  Trouble is I don't think I'm playing them correctly.  I feel like I have to contribute and strike out with the rest of the mediums or lights but then hang back because I'm slow and can't see everywhere like in a turreted tank.  Other times I just dig in not too far from base or by a known avenue and try to ambush the red guys when they come through.  Sometimes I go a whole match without firing a shot, but this is becoming more of a rarity.
They're also hard to spot with.

megatronx10 #2 Posted Mar 10 2018 - 05:32

Corporal

• Players
  • 59618 battles
  • [STEED] STEED

Generally, your TD's are used in the "sniper" mode, whereby you take up a decent covered position( and arty safe.. hopefully ). Await the unsuspecting "red devils" and unleash your devastating firepower on them...sounds easy, right ??

Hehehe.... not always the way it goes tho..............as far as spotting with them, make use of the bino's ( not the coated optics ), you get a 25% boost in view range with the noc's verses 10% with the coated. Also make sure your radioman has signal boosting, situational awareness, and relay perks. Your Commander should have "recon" as well, these perks work in conjunction with each other, and go quite a ways in "boosting" your spotting abilities.

Good luck & Happy Hunting OP.........:)

megatronx10 #3 Posted Mar 10 2018 - 05:39

Corporal

• Players
  • 59618 battles
  • [STEED] STEED
I forgot to mention the BIA perks for "all" crew members..upon 100% it adds a significant boost to all your crew members Major qualifications ( radioman !! ) Also the "vent" equipment adds a good boost as well.

Fukinay #4 Posted Mar 10 2018 - 06:01

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 4613 battles
Ah.  Yeah that's one aspect of this game I've never figured out, the whole crew training thing.  I have no idea how to go about it.  My MO has been get a tank, grind it and the crew.  That's it.  I know it's not the most efficient way to get to higher tiers but that's always the way I've done it.  When I sell off a tank to make room in the garage I also dismiss the crew.  I tried transferring crew I think like once and it just didn't work out.
I can deal with the mechanics of the game but when it comes to strategizing with crew, forget it.  I have tanks with crew at 110% but the commander is only at like 96 and has been forever. 

IllusiveTanker #5 Posted Mar 10 2018 - 06:15

Corporal

• Players
  • 3962 battles
  • [STMRT] STMRT
The best advice I can give you watch your replays.  You can learn where you went wrong, what you should have done that might've changed the situation, etc.

Okay, so, no two vehicles are the same.  You wouldn't say a Ferdinand plays like a UDES 03 after all, right?  So, with the faster or less-well-armoured TD's, a camo net and binocs are definitely a solid choice.  Spot, fire, relocate, set up your camo and binos, spot..rinse and repeat.  And that only applies if you're too close to an enemy and are at risk of getting spotted.  A way around that is sitting in a bush, setting up camo and binos, and then pulling back behind the bush to take your shot.  When the bush isn't see-through anymore, you're moderately safe to take a shot.

However, with slower and bigger TD's, that isn't always viable.  T95, Ferdinand, Jagd. Tiger, etc.  Camo net and binos may be usable, but it tends to be something that those TD's aren't benefiting so much from because of their lackluster camo values.  For those, you may be better off switching out the binos and camo net for something like vents and coated optics.  You'll be spending more time on the move, because it takes longer to get into position, and this setup will prooobably be of more use in that case.

Now, on to crew training.  You're probably better off just recruiting a new crew for lower tier vehicles and not bothering to retrain the crew.  Tier 5 is where you start to train a crew for the next vehicle (in my experience; you may not agree with me).

The basics are this, and this applies to all vehicles; if you get a crew member to 100% but don't immediately start training a skill?  You can use that accrued experience in the retraining of that crew member for the next vehicle.  Since you could argue that this tactic doesn't give you a good advantage and causes you to miss out on a lot of benefits that skills can give you, there's another much more common way to do training.  

When you transfer a crewmember from one tank to another, don't do it when he's at 100%.  Instead, let whatever skill you're training for the crewman get to roughly 50% training before you transfer.  That way, even if you don't use any silver to reset the crewman or any silver to retrain the crewman for the next tank, you still have your tanker close to 100% in the next vehicle.

Let me know if my post doesn't make sense, I'll either edit this one or just make a new post to go over what I mean in more detail.

Edited by IllusiveTanker, Mar 10 2018 - 06:18.

Fukinay #6 Posted Mar 10 2018 - 06:24

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 4613 battles

I need to figure out crew training I think.  For example, I'm just realizing that "crew" is different from "commander."  And I think that skills are different from...experience?  Training?  I have no idea what to do with any of this.  Like I mentioned, I tried to transfer crew once and they got lost or when I transferred them they all went back to something like 75%, and I could have just spent credits on that instead, it was a waste.

dominator_98 #7 Posted Mar 10 2018 - 06:24

Major

• -Players-
  • 18950 battles
  • [NUFFS] NUFFS
Learn crew training, especially transferring from tank to tank, or it will come back to haunt you later.

Fukinay #8 Posted Mar 10 2018 - 06:30

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 4613 battles

Something tells me I can't just "grind" crew training.  There has to be a tutorial somewhere.

Capt_Nixon #9 Posted Mar 10 2018 - 07:39

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 11182 battles
  • [FLARE] FLARE

View PostFukinay, on Mar 09 2018 - 23:30, said:

Something tells me I can't just "grind" crew training.  There has to be a tutorial somewhere.

​I learned it first by reading about crew training in Wot Wiki and then by searching this forum for 'crew training' and reading every post in every thread I could find. 

Here's the deal ... crew training is *really* important to be effective above Tier 5. 

The very basics:

- Crews are most efficiently retrained to the same class of vehicle, so plan accordingly.

- Two ways to train your crews most efficiently: 1) Elited vehicles; 2) Premium vehicles.

- Once you 'Elite' a vehicle, tick the box 'Accelerate crew training'. This allocates an XP bonus to the least trained crew member every battle.

- Premium vehicles are already 'Elite', so you get the above-mentioned bonus for the least trained crew member AND an additional XP bonus for the entire crew.

- Crews trained to any non-Premium vehicle can be moved in to a Premium vehicle without penalty as long as that vehicle is of the same class. So it follows that it is very valuable to have a Premium vehicle in Tiers 4-8 for a line you want to grind. Some nations' lines' don't have premiums available until very expensive Tier 8...  One of the reasons the Russian heavy line is so popular is because the IS line is very noob-friendly, the KV-1 is a great Tier 5 trainer, and the Churchill III is a great Premium Tier 5 heavy crew trainer. So you can get a KV-1, elite it, and play its crew in both the KV-1 and the Church III to train the crew up to 3rd or even 4th skills quickly before moving that crew up and retraining it to the higher tier tanks you unlock in the IS-line. 

- So, the best way to train a crew quickly is to have them trained to an Elite non-premium vehicle, have them get their first victory for the 2x or 3x XP bonus for that day, and then move the crew in to a Premium vehicle of the same class for the rest of the day's battles to maximize Crew XP earnings.

- After you get each crewmember trained to 100%, you can choose to begin training their first general or role-specific skill or perk. ALWAYS choose a skill, because these come into effect as XP is gained, while perks only come in to effect once the training for that perk reaches 100%.

- A very common strategy by many players is to choose Mentor as first skill for Commander, and Camouflage for all other crew members (Repairs instead of Camo for heavies and brawling mediums). The mentor skill increases the XP earned by the rest of the crew, so it trains the crew even faster.

- After you complete first skills, choose a second skill to begin training ... Camo or Repairs or Recon for Commander, and then Repairs for all other crewmembers (or Camo, if Repairs was chosen as first skill for heavies and brawling mediums) ... if you choose Recon for Commander, it makes sense to choose Situational Awareness for Radio Operator at the same time as these a very complementary skills.

- Once you reach 40% training on a second skill, you should reset skills and perks using 20k credits for each crewmember, and choose a valuable perk as a 'first skill' for relevant crew members. Sixth Sense for Commander is required, while perks for other crewmembers depends on the type of tank you're driving and your style of play ... many choices here, and this is where crew training becomes complicated and you need to do some research. The reason you wait until 40% is that there is a cost for resetting skills/perks, and 40% is the level where a reset takes you back to 100% of the previous skill level, and because perks don't come in to effect until training is 100%, you want to make sure you will be at 100% when you reset. Here's a general guide as a resource: https://worldoftanks...rks-and-skills/  

Brothers-In-Arms is a great perk, but is much more useful once you have other skills trained, so most experienced players wait until they've reached 40% on 4th or even 5th skills for all crew members to reset and choose BIA as a 3rd or 4th skill.

That should get you started.

Edited by Capt_Nixon, Mar 10 2018 - 07:47.

the_Deadly_Bulb #10 Posted Mar 10 2018 - 19:26

Major

• Players
  • 20999 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

OP, I play casement TDs much more than turreted. I prefer the Soviet lines, but have TDs from several lines.

TDs come in 2 flavours, ambush and assault.

The ambush TDs are more fragile, think T-67.

The assault TDs are more robust.

Assault TDs need to be just far enough behind the advance that they can provide support and keep up with the advance. Use that high alpha gun to punish mistakes by the OPFOR. Stay with the group, a lone casement TD is wolf food. Stay arty safe. When your doing some big time harm to OPFOR you know they will be requesting their arty send you some shells. Most assault TDs are not quick or nimble, so be arty safe or be arty dead. Most TDs have pretty bad VR now as compared to once upon a time long ago. You will need to be provided with targets if you are a long range sniper type TD. If you're a casement assault TD you should always have targets if you stay the correct distance to the front line push.

As pointed out by Capt Nixon, do yourself and your teams a favour and consider not bringing tanks with green crews into the tiers beyond V.

I find myself in complete agrgeement with his statement "Here's the deal ... crew training is *really* important to be effective above Tier 5. "

I will no longer play a tank above T-VI without at least a 2 skill crew in it. I want 3 or more by T-VIII.

TankFullOfBourbon #11 Posted Mar 10 2018 - 20:04

Major

• Players
  • 24662 battles
  • [DHO6] DHO6

TD's are difficult. Casemate TDs are difficult. So don't beat yourself up about it.

Situational awareness, map knowledge and timing are the the most important skills when playing TD's. Casemate TD's should never be in the open but they should never be too far away from the front either. Shadowing your heavies and taking up a sweet spot a few hundred clicks from the battleground is where you want to be. Understanding the camo mechanics are essential, double bushing and all that. Knowing when to advance or fall back, knowing what enemy tank to target etc are so important.

Casemate TDs require crews with camo, drivers with Clutch breaking skill and commander with sixth sense to be efficient. Always camo on the tank. And camo net and binos.

the_Deadly_Bulb #12 Posted Mar 10 2018 - 21:00

Major

• Players
  • 20999 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostTankFullOfBourbon, on Mar 10 2018 - 11:04, said:

TD's are difficult. Casemate TDs are difficult. So don't beat yourself up about it.

Situational awareness, map knowledge and timing are the the most important skills when playing TD's. Casemate TD's should never be in the open but they should never be too far away from the front either. Shadowing your heavies and taking up a sweet spot a few hundred clicks from the battleground is where you want to be. Understanding the camo mechanics are essential, double bushing and all that. Knowing when to advance or fall back, knowing what enemy tank to target etc are so important.

Casemate TDs require crews with camo, drivers with Clutch breaking skill and commander with sixth sense to be efficient. Always camo on the tank. And camo net and binos.

So much this! ^ :great:

Capt_Nixon #13 Posted Mar 10 2018 - 22:32

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 11182 battles
  • [FLARE] FLARE

View Postthe_Deadly_Bulb, on Mar 10 2018 - 12:26, said:

As pointed out by Capt Nixon, do yourself and your teams a favour and consider not bringing tanks with green crews into the tiers beyond V.

I find myself in complete agrgeement with his statement "Here's the deal ... crew training is *really* important to be effective above Tier 5. "

I will no longer play a tank above T-VI without at least a 2 skill crew in it. I want 3 or more by T-VIII.

Yep, and until last month I took the very good advice of many in this forum and trained my crews to at least close to two full skills before moving in to Tier 6, and it served me well. 

Then I decided I wanted to play the Tier 7 T-29 heavy after unlocking it via the M4A3E2 Jumbo line, and instead of going back and training my first Heavy crew via the Tier 5 T1 and Tier 6 M6, I just jumped right in to the T-29 with an untrained crew. The result? A 38.3% win rate, my worst of any vehicle with at least 40 battles. 

The vets told me so, and they were absolutely right. Ya just gotta have at least semi-decently trained crews above Tier 5.

Edited by Capt_Nixon, Mar 10 2018 - 22:33.

PanzerGruppenstaffe #14 Posted Mar 10 2018 - 22:41

Captain

• Players
  • 45092 battles
Pro Tip: There is not one casement TD that is worth playing. Turreted tanks are superior at every Tier.

Edited by PanzerGruppenstaffe, Mar 10 2018 - 22:42.

Fukinay #15 Posted Mar 10 2018 - 22:44

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 4613 battles
You guys are great. Thanks so much.  What is clutch braking and why do I need it?

Capt_Nixon #16 Posted Mar 10 2018 - 22:48

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 11182 battles
  • [FLARE] FLARE

View PostFukinay, on Mar 10 2018 - 15:44, said:

You guys are great. Thanks so much.  What is clutch braking and why do I need it?

From this link: https://worldoftanks...rks-and-skills/

"Clutch Braking - Skill

This skill increases vehicle rotation speed. Clutch Braking is more effective when combined with Additional Grousers, Lend-Lease Oil, Removed Speed Governor, 100-octane Gasoline, and 105-octane Gasoline.

Recommended for: All"

the_Deadly_Bulb #17 Posted Mar 10 2018 - 22:49

Major

• Players
  • 20999 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostFukinay, on Mar 10 2018 - 13:44, said:

Turretless TDs depend on hull traverse (the rate at which the vehicle can turn the hull) to take aim and respond to flanking threats.

Clutch braking provides a boost to the rate at which your TD can hull traverse.

It adds 5% @ 100%

*  Capt Nixon is a ninja :great:

Edited by the_Deadly_Bulb, Mar 10 2018 - 22:50.

the_Deadly_Bulb #18 Posted Mar 10 2018 - 22:51

Major

• Players
  • 20999 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostPanzerGruppenstaffe, on Mar 10 2018 - 13:41, said:

Pro Tip: There is not one casement TD that is worth playing. Turreted tanks are superior at every Tier.

Which pro said that?

Capt_Nixon #19 Posted Mar 10 2018 - 23:19

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 11182 battles
  • [FLARE] FLARE

View Postthe_Deadly_Bulb, on Mar 10 2018 - 15:49, said:

I really wish this was true. It would make this game much​ less frustrating for me.

Fukinay #20 Posted Mar 11 2018 - 00:33

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 4613 battles

View Postthe_Deadly_Bulb, on Mar 10 2018 - 22:49, said:

Turretless TDs depend on hull traverse (the rate at which the vehicle can turn the hull) to take aim and respond to flanking threats.

Clutch braking provides a boost to the rate at which your TD can hull traverse.

It adds 5% @ 100%

Yeah, I get it now.  I always feel like the wolf at the mercy of a pack of hounds when they close in.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users