• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

TankFullOfBourbon #41 Posted Mar 13 2018 - 18:27

Major

• Players
  • 24794 battles
  • [DHO6] DHO6

View PostCheesehead1964, on Mar 13 2018 - 16:48, said:

Right now I'm playing the Challenger, AT-8 (moving up to AT-7 soon), WS-131G FT (moving up to Tier VII Chinese TD soon), Jagdpanther, Ikv 90 B, ISU-122S, and T25 AT. Stats wise I'm playing them all green or at least yellow WN8 except the T25 AT which is orange. BUT I don't have a ton of games in the T25 AT yet and it does seem like a great TD. I suck in the pew pew E25.

EDIT: all of those are casemates except the Challenger, which is really underrated (and buffed not long ago I think)....

The T25 AT comes, as many other tanks, to its' own right when it's fully upgraded, so if you are playing it stock or partially upgraded it can explain why you're not there yet. With the 105mm and the top engine it's an awesome tank. Tier 7 has a few good TDs, personally I have a hard time deciding if I think the ISU-122S or the T25 AT is the best.

Cheesehead1964 #42 Posted Mar 13 2018 - 18:29

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 7299 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostTankFullOfBourbon, on Mar 13 2018 - 18:27, said:

The T25 AT comes, as many other tanks, to its' own right when it's fully upgraded, so if you are playing it stock or partially upgraded it can explain why you're not there yet. With the 105mm and the top engine it's an awesome tank. Tier 7 has a few good TDs, personally I have a hard time deciding if I think the ISU-122S or the T25 AT is the best.

I play everything fully upgraded. It seems pretty great - just haven't had a monster game in it yet.

oddbal1 #43 Posted Mar 13 2018 - 18:49

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 39849 battles
  • [N1NJA] N1NJA

The definitive Unicum guide to TDs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fxJmPUnbZY

Capt_Nixon #44 Posted Mar 13 2018 - 18:50

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 12153 battles
  • [FLARE] FLARE

View PostCheesehead1964, on Mar 13 2018 - 11:29, said:

I play everything fully upgraded. It seems pretty great - just haven't had a monster game in it yet.

​I have had only one monster game in it ... I don't think it's a 'monster game' type vehicle.

But, I feel supremely confident before every single battle start that I will be able to make a positive contribution to my team and do some significant damage, regardless of tier mixes, matchmaking, map, etc. And I can't say that about any other vehicle in my garage.

scottie_ #45 Posted Mar 15 2018 - 10:58

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 13231 battles
  • [T-GBU] T-GBU

View PostTankFullOfBourbon, on Mar 13 2018 - 12:25, said:

There s actually no evidence that turreted TDs are better than non-turreted. According to Vbaddict.net, tier by tier the TDs with most winrates are casemate TDs.

Tier 5: S35 CA

Tier 6: AT8

Tier 7: E25 (follwed by SU-100M1)

Tier 8: SU-101

Tier 9: Obj.263

Tier 10: Obj.268 v4

The T25/2 turreted TD is one percent lower in win rate than its' brother the casemate T25 AT.

Fresh from vbaddict.net

Yeah, I don't doubt the figures, like many players I'm simply bias to a playstyle that involves a turret, I find them more fun.  I just don't find the casemate TD's to be fun, generally they lack gun depression and are slow.  Those Russian TD's on your list would be the exception to being slow, especially tier 9/10.  There are exceptions for me, the E-25 is fun I'm fairly good with it, 52.5 WR, 1500+ WN8, but the T25/2 I have a 65% WR in 86 games.  I guess my general rule on playing a casemate TD is that it must have another redeeming quality beside a big gun and armor, i.e. - speed, gun depression, etc.

I just sold the T25/2 and bought the T28 p so it will be interesting to see how much that 65% WR dips when I get in mainly tier 10 battles.

TankFullOfBourbon #46 Posted Mar 16 2018 - 08:28

Major

• Players
  • 24794 battles
  • [DHO6] DHO6

View Postscottie_, on Mar 15 2018 - 10:58, said:

Yeah, I don't doubt the figures, like many players I'm simply bias to a playstyle that involves a turret, I find them more fun.  I just don't find the casemate TD's to be fun, generally they lack gun depression and are slow.  Those Russian TD's on your list would be the exception to being slow, especially tier 9/10.  There are exceptions for me, the E-25 is fun I'm fairly good with it, 52.5 WR, 1500+ WN8, but the T25/2 I have a 65% WR in 86 games.  I guess my general rule on playing a casemate TD is that it must have another redeeming quality beside a big gun and armor, i.e. - speed, gun depression, etc.

I just sold the T25/2 and bought the T28 p so it will be interesting to see how much that 65% WR dips when I get in mainly tier 10 battles.

Never sell a tank that you are great in and that you enjoy playing, that's my motto. I have used my T25 AT as my US TD trainer for three additional crews (I refused to get the Scorpion wafer TD and the T28 HMC is a reward I'll never get). The T28 Prot. is a slow lumbering turd with a monster gun and a monster turret. Totally different playstyle from the T25/2 but overall probably a better tank, even taking the tier difference into account.

But back to the main discussion. There's no doubt that turreted TDs are easier to play, especially for newer players. Besides being able to rotate your gun to where the enemy tank is without having to traverse the hull, you also do not give up you camo cover in the process which is a huge plus. But I also feel turreted tanks prevents players from learning how to properly play casemate TDs as it offers an easy way out.

Yes, there is a learning curve involved with playing casemate TDs, this is obvious. You suddenly realize the importance of the Clutch Breaking skill, just to name one thing. Another thing you start appreciating is the camo of casemates, as most of them have a low silhouette and thus a better camo rating than most turreted tanks who are taller thanks to the turret. Positioning on the map and in relation to the direction you're aiming at becomes critical, as you need to take your horizontal gun arc limitations into count. Many casemate TDs have big gun mantlets and this is your frontal protection, so you need to learn how to wiggle the tank when shot at so to maximize the possibility that the enemy hits the mantlet instead. The front of the casemate TDs are often angled, so using that in relation to ground's ups and down will help you maximize the efficiency of the armor by angling further.

What is fun is obviously a personal matter, but there is fun in the challenge that the casemate TDs offer and when you master it, then I don't think the turreted TDs are better at all. They just have different advantages and disadvantages.

Edited by TankFullOfBourbon, Mar 16 2018 - 08:31.

firekitty #47 Posted Mar 16 2018 - 19:13

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 38493 battles
  • [IMWAR] IMWAR

View PostTankFullOfBourbon, on Mar 13 2018 - 01:20, said:

To be honest, I fail to see what was so special with your game. Yes, you do have a very good start of the game, getting that Ru very early was important as it removed some of their "eyes" on the west flank and when you then took out that M41 90GF the WZ-111G FT was totally isolated and the west side was in principle won at that point. And you played the Prot well to ridge line snipe, only exposing that near-impenetrable turret. But what were you doing driving out in the open letting the WZ get you. Had the game not been so tense on the east side, any awake arty would have targeted you. 

Yes, you are using the your render range to max in this game and all your damage was long range, beyond 300 meters, but you are forgetting who is providing you that view range. The T49 and the Bulldog gave you the view to the tanks you killed, and I think you forget that. In the game at Cliff you did, the vision of enemy tanks are provided by those fighting and spotting in front of you. If you don't protect them you are blind. And in this game, the battles was fought and won on the east side. Most of your teammates realized that when the Leo PTA and the Putz went there, leaving the west flank all to the Ru, the Blackdog and the WZ. 

So no, I don't think this game is worth stopping the presses for. You played well, that's all. I think you may have a too high opinion of yourself? And whats with the size of your map - please make it twice the size bigger.

EXACTLY,

What I showed was what was asked by the OP- some basic tips on TD play. What I showed was nothing special simply because some basics need to be learned before a stellar performance usually. I showed a few simple things do produce results, that is what the OP was seeking.

TankFullOfBourbon #48 Posted Mar 16 2018 - 19:34

Major

• Players
  • 24794 battles
  • [DHO6] DHO6

View Postfirekitty, on Mar 16 2018 - 19:13, said:

EXACTLY,

What I showed was what was asked by the OP- some basic tips on TD play. What I showed was nothing special simply because some basics need to be learned before a stellar performance usually. I showed a few simple things do produce results, that is what the OP was seeking.

I don't want to start a fight here, so forgive me if I am persistent, but for a new player your advise is bad. He doesn't have a crew with 3-4 skills, nor will he have a T28 Prot. And he will not have a crystal ball in the tank that tells him in advance that the team will cave in.

He needs advise that does not include sitting in the back, sniping from camp or relying on stellar view range sitting in the open. He needs to understand about where to move on the map, where to sit to have good views and good protection. He needs to understand that the TDs place is near, but not too near, where the chokepoints are or where the breakthrough will take place. None of your videos showed that. They showed two good games from your part.

__NovaTankers__ #49 Posted Mar 16 2018 - 23:10

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 15397 battles
  • [INVIL] INVIL
It depends on which class you are going down. Also if you want survivability or speed or just in the middle. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users