Jump to content


M4A3 with 105mm, how common?


  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Lert #1 Posted Mar 11 2018 - 21:20

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 44292 battles
  • 25,712
  • Member since:
    09-02-2010

I'm looking to get this particular Sherman model:

It will be 1/16 scale, and R/C.

 

My question is: How common was the 105mm howitzer on M4A3 models?

 

Another option I have would be to make it look like Oddball's Sherman from Kelly's Heroes:

 

Which looks like an M4A3 with a tube over the gun to make it look bigger, a large loud speaker on the side of the turret and various bits and bobs of stowage all over the tank. Should be doable - the loud speaker would be the trickiest bit to scratchbuild.



Karl__Childers #2 Posted Mar 11 2018 - 21:58

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 11001 battles
  • 696
  • Member since:
    02-04-2014
That speaker looks like a sewing thimble, depending on scale could be a start...

Lert #3 Posted Mar 11 2018 - 22:13

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 44292 battles
  • 25,712
  • Member since:
    09-02-2010

View PostKarl__Childers, on Mar 11 2018 - 20:58, said:

sewing thimble

 

Way too small. At 1/16 scale the tank is a foot and a half long.

Edited by Lert, Mar 11 2018 - 23:21.


Isola_di_Fano #4 Posted Mar 11 2018 - 22:24

    Major

  • Players
  • 21072 battles
  • 3,328
  • Member since:
    11-05-2012

View PostLert, on Mar 11 2018 - 15:20, said:

 

My question is: How common was the 105mm howitzer on M4A3 models?

 

 

It seems 3,039 were built with the 105 out of 12,596 M4E3, more than I expected actually !

Still they account for under 7% of total M4 production

http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/weapons_medium_tank_M4A3_105.html

 

 


Edited by Isola_di_Fano, Mar 11 2018 - 22:25.


Gothraul #5 Posted Mar 11 2018 - 23:07

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 2016 battles
  • 4,442
  • Member since:
    11-17-2014
Long time no see and glad that you are back.

Lert #6 Posted Mar 11 2018 - 23:21

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 44292 battles
  • 25,712
  • Member since:
    09-02-2010

View PostIsola_di_Fano, on Mar 11 2018 - 21:24, said:

It seems 3,039 were built with the 105 out of 12,596 M4E3, more than I expected actually !

 

That would actually be enough for me to consider it as a build, but I'm going to see if I can make Oddball's Sherman first.

PrimarchRogalDorn #7 Posted Mar 11 2018 - 23:36

    Captain

  • -Players-
  • 25 battles
  • 1,389
  • Member since:
    01-03-2017

View PostIsola_di_Fano, on Mar 11 2018 - 16:24, said:

 

It seems 3,039 were built with the 105 out of 12,596 M4E3, more than I expected actually !

Still they account for under 7% of total M4 production

http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/weapons_medium_tank_M4A3_105.html

 

 

 

A further split would be 500 built with VVSS, and the remaining 2,539 with HVSS. In addition, 1,641 M4 (105)'s were built, split nearly evenly between VVSS and HVSS (800 and 841).

Life_In_Black #8 Posted Mar 12 2018 - 00:09

    Major

  • Players
  • 25289 battles
  • 11,211
  • [KGS] KGS
  • Member since:
    10-29-2011

The actual model of Oddball's Sherman is an M4A3E4, which was a 75mm M4A3 upgunned with the 76mm in the same turret.



The_Chieftain #9 Posted Mar 13 2018 - 18:48

    Military Specialist

  • Administrator
  • 10907 battles
  • 9,773
  • [WGA] WGA
  • Member since:
    09-08-2011
The 105mm Shermans were issued as the assault guns in a tank battalion. The standard unit of issue was one 105mm in each company headquarters, and an assault gun platoon of tanks at the battalion level. So that's actually about one in six.

Dirizon #10 Posted Mar 14 2018 - 02:27

    Major

  • Players
  • 27277 battles
  • 4,688
  • [THUGZ] THUGZ
  • Member since:
    06-05-2011

View PostThe_Chieftain, on Mar 13 2018 - 13:18, said:

The 105mm Shermans were issued as the assault guns in a tank battalion. The standard unit of issue was one 105mm in each company headquarters, and an assault gun platoon of tanks at the battalion level. So that's actually about one in six.

 

Is  that the same with M8 Scott to Stuart?

Blackhorse_One_ #11 Posted Mar 14 2018 - 05:51

    Captain

  • -Players-
  • 3390 battles
  • 1,387
  • [HHT] HHT
  • Member since:
    12-30-2017

View PostThe_Chieftain, on Mar 13 2018 - 12:48, said:

The 105mm Shermans were issued as the assault guns in a tank battalion. The standard unit of issue was one 105mm in each company headquarters, and an assault gun platoon of tanks at the battalion level. So that's actually about one in six.

 

And how long did it take to achieve that TO&E ?

LAV25OG #12 Posted Mar 14 2018 - 08:02

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 81037 battles
  • 249
  • [LOAD] LOAD
  • Member since:
    01-21-2013

I expect the Marines would have enjoyed having them on the Pacific island slog, but were still using tanks that fought as long as they could be hosed out and repaired after battle long after they shoulda been replaced. The Marines didn't have the flame shermans at ​Oki either. They were a army tank unit that parceled them out. Thrower went through the gun tube and had VVSS. The ones with a second "barrel" where the coax would be were all HVSS and postwar used in Korea.

The 105 Sherman would have been great for digging out Bunkers and caves. 



Blackgunner #13 Posted Mar 15 2018 - 17:24

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 13420 battles
  • 2,954
  • [JMO-H] JMO-H
  • Member since:
    01-12-2011

View PostLert, on Mar 11 2018 - 15:20, said:

I'm looking to get this particular Sherman model:

It will be 1/16 scale, and R/C.

 

My question is: How common was the 105mm howitzer on M4A3 models?

 

Another option I have would be to make it look like Oddball's Sherman from Kelly's Heroes:

 

Which looks like an M4A3 with a tube over the gun to make it look bigger, a large loud speaker on the side of the turret and various bits and bobs of stowage all over the tank. Should be doable - the loud speaker would be the trickiest bit to scratchbuild.

 

​The tube over the barrel is quoted by Oddball to be a demoralizing factor.  "Makes them think we got a 90".

Lert #14 Posted Mar 16 2018 - 23:39

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 44292 battles
  • 25,712
  • Member since:
    09-02-2010

View PostBlackgunner, on Mar 15 2018 - 16:24, said:

​The tube over the barrel is quoted by Oddball to be a demoralizing factor.  "Makes them think we got a 90".

 

They never actually use it during the movie though. So if I were to do Oddball's Sherman I'd have to replace the 105mm barrel and mantlet with a 76mm barrel and mantlet.

Mad_Dog_Seabee #15 Posted Mar 19 2018 - 01:21

    Captain

  • -Players-
  • 13019 battles
  • 1,502
  • [-SW-] -SW-
  • Member since:
    10-07-2015

View PostPrimarchRogalDorn, on Mar 11 2018 - 15:36, said:

 

A further split would be 500 built with VVSS, and the remaining 2,539 with HVSS. In addition, 1,641 M4 (105)'s were built, split nearly evenly between VVSS and HVSS (800 and 841).

 

The Emperor Protects!

Pongo #16 Posted Apr 27 2018 - 16:50

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 23718 battles
  • 2,247
  • Member since:
    08-06-2010
they were common.




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users