Will WoT Update 1.0 continue to be Mac compatible? (Part 3)

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

R1S100 #1 Posted Mar 12 2018 - 16:48

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 12567 battles

Sorry all to keep posting about this, but I got all riled up again the other day when I received my first premium tank from tanrewards.com, the T-28E with F-30. I'm worried that when the update is released this month (March 21st or something like that???), they won't have their Mac Wrapper ready, and then it'll all go down the drain. 

I know that posting another message on an old forum post doesn't let anyone know that I'm still asking questions, so I decided to make a "part 3" to my question string. Seeing as 1.0 is less than a month to go, does anyone have any more information about what's coming up? Anything on some kind of "leaked" websites, or possibly someone has seen a message from a developer or employee about the matter?

Like your stereotypical homeless chap, anything helps!

Thanks,

R1

black_colt #2 Posted Mar 12 2018 - 17:00

Major

• -Players-
  • 3641 battles

No.

Again it is unlikely that CodeWeavers has not already tested the WoT Mac Wrapper with the World of Tanks 1.0 client.

You will have to wait until release just like everyone else for the WoT Mac Wrapper.

If you are concerned about not being able to run the WoT Mac Wrapper then I suggest you research how to install MS Windows on your Apple-branded Intel-based hardware [it really quite simple and painless] so you can boot into MS Windows and run the native game.

stalkervision #3 Posted Mar 12 2018 - 17:09

Major

• Players
  • 56487 battles
Does anyone even own one anymore or are you Last of the Mohegan? :teethhappy: 

AndrewSledge #4 Posted Mar 12 2018 - 17:20

Captain

• -Players-
  • 29498 battles
I haven't heard anything, but I expect Codeweavers to keep maintaining the wrapper.

black_colt #5 Posted Mar 12 2018 - 18:01

Major

• -Players-
  • 3641 battles

View Poststalkervision, on Mar 12 2018 - 08:09, said:

Does anyone even own one anymore or are you Last of the Mohegan? :teethhappy: 

​If you have anything positive to contribute to the Forum - please do so.

stalkervision #6 Posted Mar 12 2018 - 19:30

Major

• Players
  • 56487 battles

View Postblack_colt, on Mar 12 2018 - 12:01, said:

​If you have anything positive to contribute to the Forum - please do so.

It was very positive in that the mac isn't exactly on any game developers update priority. I was trying to be nice telling you this. :) 

Is the mac a very good computer? Indeed it is.

stalkervision #7 Posted Mar 12 2018 - 20:00

Major

• Players
  • 56487 battles
The Mac is a great computer but has never been a priority for pc gamers development teams.Sorry but this is the truth and I can not spin it otherwise because you don't want to hear this.

black_colt #8 Posted Mar 12 2018 - 20:06

Major

• -Players-
  • 3641 battles

View Poststalkervision, on Mar 12 2018 - 10:30, said:

It was very positive in that the mac isn't exactly on any game developers update priority. I was trying to be nice telling you this. :) 

Is the mac a very good computer? Indeed it is.

Actually inability to play games using DirectX natively on macOS and other POSIX-compliant OS[es] is the fault of Microsoft and game developers who chose to use DirectX, not Apple, since Microsoft will not release DirectX for any other OS besides Windows.

Actually the Mac [Apple-branded Intel-based hardware and macOS] is positioned very well as it can leverage Wine to run MS Windows apps without emulation or virtualization OR run MS Windows legally.  

So please stop with - that it is fault of Apple if a game is not available.  It is the fault of Microsoft and the game developers who chose to use DirectX.

Market share does not automatically translated to higher revenue - just ask the mobile OS providers as while iOS does not have the largest market share, but according to many industry reporters, has the highest revenue.

Hopefully game developers take that consideration in mind if they are going to base their game solely on DirectX ...

The Wine team has done a stellar job of reverse-engineering the DirectX calls and other MS Windows APIs so the POSIX-compliant OS[es] can run MS Windows app including games on those OS[es].

Wargaming seems to understand the proprietary trap that is DirectX and has released versions of the game that cater to many different OS[es] - too bad other game developers do not.

Also it seems that Wargaming has a good reason to get World of Warships running on macOS as they just released the WoWs Mac Wrapper. Sounds like at least one game developer has made the Mac a priority ...

black_colt #9 Posted Mar 12 2018 - 20:15

Major

• -Players-
  • 3641 battles

View Poststalkervision, on Mar 12 2018 - 11:00, said:

The Mac is a great computer but has never been a priority for pc gamers development teams.Sorry but this is the truth and I can not spin it otherwise because you don't want to hear this.

Wargaming has made it a priority with the release of the WoT Mac Wrapper and the WoWs Mac Wrapper so you cannot use [never been a priority] as all it takes is one to not do so.

You cannot, and unless you are a game developer, speak for game developers on their decisions or priorities.  

You can state that it is your opinion or provide detailed facts - e.g. a quote from multiple game developers that they do not produce games for macOS because of X, X, and X reasons.

stalkervision #10 Posted Mar 12 2018 - 20:26

Major

• Players
  • 56487 battles
Macs are overpriced and have comparability problems with windows. This is because the company choose to produce a product their own way but really didn't take end user gamers into much consideration. It's been a long standing problem. It's nice warming has attempted to make their software comparable but frankly it not that economical considering how many users run macs. Frankly it's putting resources into a long dying market gaming wise. I myself believe that anyone with resources for a Mac should not expect software companies to jump through hoops making it's games comparable with a very very small market.

stalkervision #11 Posted Mar 12 2018 - 20:41

Major

• Players
  • 56487 battles
Frankly war gaming is squandering much needed programmers in a attempt to placate the very few. People no doubt who could buy a much more comparable pc but choose not to.It does my heart well knowing these programmers will not be working on the game proper for the majority of the players so a very few individuals are kept happy running a mac.

black_colt #12 Posted Mar 12 2018 - 20:51

Major

• -Players-
  • 3641 battles

View Poststalkervision, on Mar 12 2018 - 11:26, said:

Macs are overpriced and have comparability problems with windows. This is because the company choose to produce a product their own way but really didn't take end user gamers into much consideration. It's been a long standing problem. It's nice warming has attempted to make their software comparable but frankly it not that economical considering how many users run macs. Frankly it's putting resources into a long dying market gaming wise. I myself believe that anyone with resources for a Mac should not expect software companies to jump through hoops making it's games comparable with a very very small market.

Really overpriced?

Have a small exercise for you.  Provide me with a exact or better spec'd 27-inch preassembled all-in-one machine running MS Windows that is cheaper than the current 27-inch iMac 5K Retina.

And a separate screen and computer case does not count.

PC Gamer - https://www.pcgamer....t-overpriced/ - states the following:

While Apple may have charged a big premium for its computers years ago, it looks like this is no longer the case today.

As for economically

remember that it was the game developers choice to use an API only available on MS Windows not Apple.  Why should Apple consider game developer needs over their own?

As for resource choice ...

Apple seems to be doing very well with their decisions - if you consider profitability, market cap, available cash and cash-equivalents as markers of success.

Why should they devote resources to something when they have companies that will do that [and assume any risk] - e.g. CodeWeavers.

CodeWeavers produced the WoT Mac Wrapper and WoWs Mac Wrapper for Wargaming.

Remember it is the fault of the game developer if they chose a graphics APIs that is not compatible with some OS[es] and it does not run on that OS. They alone bear that burden, not the OS, as they actively chose to exclude a segment of the computer market.

Edited by black_colt, Mar 12 2018 - 20:56.

stalkervision #13 Posted Mar 12 2018 - 20:54

Major

• Players
  • 56487 battles
Btw I would love to see where war gaming made a Mac wrapper release a priority. I would love to read it. It would explain why do many true priorities never get done.

stalkervision #14 Posted Mar 12 2018 - 21:00

Major

• Players
  • 56487 battles
Seriously you believe five thousand dollars is not overpriced? That everyone has that load of dough to dump into a pc for gaming? I rest my case. ;-) 

black_colt #15 Posted Mar 12 2018 - 21:08

Major

• -Players-
  • 3641 battles

View Poststalkervision, on Mar 12 2018 - 11:41, said:

Frankly war gaming is squandering much needed programmers in a attempt to placate the very few. People no doubt who could buy a much more comparable pc but choose not to.It does my heart well knowing these programmers will not be working on the game proper for the majority of the players so a very few individuals are kept happy running a mac.

Unless you are a Director or higher at Wargaming you do not have knowledge of Wargaming's actions so your first sentence cannot be taken as a truth.  It is an opinion which I do not share.

There must be a reason for expanding the game over many platforms.  I find it a reasonable leap that Wargaming sees an advantage in providing games across multiple platforms - maybe they can get entrenched first and exclude others, maybe because they planned in advance moving the game to another platform is a trivial effort weighted against the potential revenue.

AT&T took a chance with the iPhone, and IIRC many said they would squander any chance of success, and look where it took them.  They were able to leverage the exclusively of the iPhone to their advantage at the expense of the other wireless carriers.

stalkervision #16 Posted Mar 12 2018 - 21:09

Major

• Players
  • 56487 battles
Btw wargaming has to pay codeweavers for this service to the very few and it comes right out of their budget we non Mac get to pay for no doubt.

stalkervision #17 Posted Mar 12 2018 - 21:11

Major

• Players
  • 56487 battles

View Postblack_colt, on Mar 12 2018 - 15:08, said:

Unless you are a Director or higher at Wargaming you do not have knowledge of Wargaming's actions so your first sentence cannot be taken as a truth.  It is an opinion which I do not share.

There must be a reason for expanding the game over many platforms.  I find it a reasonable leap that Wargaming sees an advantage in providing games across multiple platforms - maybe they can get entrenched first and exclude others, maybe because they planned in advance moving the game to another platform is a trivial effort weighted against the potential revenue.

AT&T took a chance with the iPhone, and IIRC many said they would squander any chance of success, and look where it took them.  They were able to leverage the exclusively of the iPhone to their advantage at the expense of the other wireless carriers.

It isn't opinion it's fact. Programming time isn't free. Maybe this explains your position though.

black_colt #18 Posted Mar 12 2018 - 21:14

Major

• -Players-
  • 3641 battles

View Poststalkervision, on Mar 12 2018 - 12:00, said:

Seriously you believe five thousand dollars is not overpriced? That everyone has that load of dough to dump into a pc for gaming? I rest my case. ;-) 

So now you are moving from comparable value - e.g. priced approximately the same - to total price.  Seems you were not able to prove that it was overpriced based on the hardware included.

Actually no - five thousand dollars is not overpriced for the included hardware.

And yes there are individuals that will pay that because they see a value in that hardware/OS combination.  Just like there were individuals that spend tens of thousands for Sun workstations.

stalkervision #19 Posted Mar 12 2018 - 21:17

Major

• Players
  • 56487 battles
You know I see so many people here worried that there poor antiquated machines that they have no way to upgrade or buy another and then I see a 5000dollar Mac user crying his machine won't be compatable. This is the very definition of the word entitled.

black_colt #20 Posted Mar 12 2018 - 21:17

Major

• -Players-
  • 3641 battles

View Poststalkervision, on Mar 12 2018 - 12:09, said:

Btw wargaming has to pay codeweavers for this service to the very few and it comes right out of their budget we non Mac get to pay for no doubt.

So what - that is Wargaming choice - not yours.  I seriously doubt that Wargaming chose to spend those funds out of the goodness of their hearts - they probably see a value in doing so.

Perhaps macOS users spend more legal tender as a percentage than MS Windows users?  Again only Wargaming know why.

If you feel you can do a better job than Wargaming - then create your own company and compete with them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users