Will WoT Update 1.0 continue to be Mac compatible? (Part 3)

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

stalkervision #21 Posted Mar 12 2018 - 21:23

Major

• Players
  • 58349 battles
War gaming has jumped through hoops to try to makes these old crates work with the new update and I commend them for this but wasting resources for the entitled few not so much.

black_colt #22 Posted Mar 12 2018 - 21:23

Major

• -Players-
  • 3704 battles

View Poststalkervision, on Mar 12 2018 - 12:17, said:

You know I see so many people here worried that there poor antiquated machines that they have no way to upgrade or buy another and then I see a 5000dollar Mac user crying his machine won't be compatable. This is the very definition of the word entitled.

The original poster was not talking about any particular Mac.

I do not recall any poster to this Forum complaining that their USD 5000 Mac will not be compatible - please provide that post.

You keep moving the talking points so I will take that as you concede that my previous points are valid and correct.

Well a lot of those [many people here worried that there poor antiquated machines that they have no way to upgrade or buy another] are MS Windows users if the posts to the other Forums are accurate.

black_colt #23 Posted Mar 12 2018 - 21:27

Major

• -Players-
  • 3704 battles

View Poststalkervision, on Mar 12 2018 - 12:23, said:

War gaming has jumped through hoops to try to makes these old crates work with the new update and I commend them for this but wasting resources for the entitled few not so much.

If Wargaming planned/laid out their future roadmap well then they would not have to jump through hoops to implement changes to the game.

Again you are entitled to your opinion as am I and the other Mac users.

stalkervision #24 Posted Mar 12 2018 - 21:30

Major

• Players
  • 58349 battles

View Postblack_colt, on Mar 12 2018 - 15:17, said:

So what - that is Wargaming choice - not yours.  I seriously doubt that Wargaming chose to spend those funds out of the goodness of their hearts - they probably see a value in doing so.

Perhaps macOS users spend more legal tender as a percentage than MS Windows users?  Again only Wargaming know why.

If you feel you can do a better job than Wargaming - then create your own company and compete with them.

Imo they are doing it on the squeaky wheel principle and to say they support these users because other games do. If one would look at the number of Mac users this is the only logical explaination. If they want to throw out money away it will not not them in the end.

stalkervision #25 Posted Mar 12 2018 - 21:36

Major

• Players
  • 58349 battles
Thanks for the five thousand dollar pc remark.That was precious.You should go on the Russian server and see how many of these guys has one of these!:-D 

black_colt #26 Posted Mar 12 2018 - 21:37

Major

• -Players-
  • 3704 battles

View Poststalkervision, on Mar 12 2018 - 12:30, said:

Imo they are doing it on the squeaky wheel principle and to say they support these users because other games do. If one would look at the number of Mac users this is the only logical explaination. If they want to throw out money away it will not them in the end.

I seriously doubt that Wargaming is providing a means of macOS users that ability to play the game:

simply because macOS users are a [squeaky wheel].

to say they support these users

There must be something more.  Perhaps the data gleaned from the WoT Mac Wrapper helped them improve the performance of the native MS Windows game.  Again only Wargaming knows why they did.

black_colt #27 Posted Mar 12 2018 - 21:43

Major

• -Players-
  • 3704 battles

View Poststalkervision, on Mar 12 2018 - 12:36, said:

Thanks for the five thousand dollar pc remark.That was precious.You should go on the Russian server and see how many of these guys has one of these!:-D 

Just a reminder - you brought that Mac hardware was overpriced - I just used the iMac Pro as an example that it was not and backed it up with a statement from PC Gaming.

You to date have not provided any examples of a preassembled all-in-one regardless of cost.

stalkervision #28 Posted Mar 12 2018 - 22:17

Major

• Players
  • 58349 battles

View Postblack_colt, on Mar 12 2018 - 15:37, said:

I seriously doubt that Wargaming is providing a means of macOS users that ability to play the game:

simply because macOS users are a [squeaky wheel].

to say they support these users

There must be something more.  Perhaps the data gleaned from the WoT Mac Wrapper helped them improve the performance of the native MS Windows game.  Again only Wargaming knows why they did.

Of course they support the game but their numbers are very very limited so is it worth it in actuality ? Other game developers support it so its the follow the lemming principle. You see in in this game all the time.

stalkervision #29 Posted Mar 12 2018 - 22:21

Major

• Players
  • 58349 battles

View Postblack_colt, on Mar 12 2018 - 15:43, said:

Just a reminder - you brought that Mac hardware was overpriced - I just used the iMac Pro as an example that it was not and backed it up with a statement from PC Gaming.

You to date have not provided any examples of a preassembled all-in-one regardless of cost.

I took your example but I see your backtracking on this now.  Now you want ME to furnish the price of a cheaper Mac ? Why I would never ever buy one for gaming and ask WG to make it work when it doesn't.

black_colt #30 Posted Mar 12 2018 - 22:36

Major

• -Players-
  • 3704 battles

View Poststalkervision, on Mar 12 2018 - 13:17, said:

Of course they support the game but their numbers are very very limited so is it worth it in actuality ? Other game developers support it so its the follow the lemming principle. You see in in this game all the time.

That is their choice.  And they have their reasons for it.

Perhaps, and I have no data on this, macOS users spend much more per person than MS Windows users which pays for any development of the client and creates a profit between clients.

Again if you feel you can do a better job than Wargaming in their decisions, then create your own company and compete directly against Wargaming.

black_colt #31 Posted Mar 12 2018 - 22:52

Major

• -Players-
  • 3704 battles

View Poststalkervision, on Mar 12 2018 - 13:21, said:

I took your example but I see your backtracking on this now.  Now you want ME to furnish the price of a cheaper Mac ? Why I would never ever buy one for gaming and ask WG to make it work when it doesn't.

Just a reminder - here is my challenge to you - remember you made the blanket statement that Macs are overpriced and did not define overpriced so I provided documentation to counter that blanket statement of being overpriced [charge too high a price for]:

Have a small exercise for you.  Provide me with a exact or better spec'd 27-inch preassembled all-in-one machine running MS Windows that is cheaper than the current 27-inch iMac 5K Retina.

I see that you have yet to respond to this and I see that you have yet to respond to disproving that the iMac Pro is overpriced.

Just so you know - you cannot provide an exact or better spec'd 27-inch preassembled all-in-one machine running MS Windows that is cheaper than the current 27-inch iMac 5K Retina.  

There are some that have better video cards but lower resolution monitors, there are some with equal resolution monitors but lower spec'd video cards. Dell does have a fairly good 4K machine - but because it does not have a 5K screen they cannot be compared.  Some boutique builders make bigger screen and higher spec'd video cards but they are lower resolution [either 1920x1080 or 2560x1440] so they cannot be compared.

Here is another quote from the PC Gaming article to further my counter to your blanket statement:

So if we're comparing builders, Apple's actually a deal!

I never asked you to buy one nor was the discussion about you buying one.

R1S100 #32 Posted Mar 13 2018 - 01:36

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 12891 battles

I know this ain't my rodeo, but, dang boys cool it. My concerns about Mac users and their playing time/game quality doesn't warrant this kind of arguing. 

Crappy Arguement-Mediator Logic Inbound...

stalkervision, you may have a valid point, but you MUST realize that you're dealing with a person who has superior knowledge and proof to back up his claims? You should stop wasting your time arguing with black_colt (who, I'll add, has been extremely helpful and comforting in my time of possible unfortunate loss), and spend more of it on better things like playing with Barbie or building a pine bookshelf or something.

Since we're all using big words here and since we all seem to sound old and advanced in years, I would've assumed at first that ya'll would've recognized that there's no point in bickering with those who aren't willing to change their perspective/point of view. 

But that's just my two bits on it.

Eh, R1S100 again.

SamIAmPHX #33 Posted Mar 15 2018 - 04:18

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 24743 battles
  • [FILOX] FILOX

Just to throw my 2 cents in on this one. When it comes to the computer people use, you have to look at why they bought it in the first place, i.e. was it for gaming or something else.

I didn't buy my Apple iMac for gaming. I bought it to do Graphic Design and Audio/Video editing. I'm not a hipster, nor am I rich. But my iMac gives me a living. It MAKES me money. So even at $5K, it pays for itself. Most in the creative professions use Macs. Not because of the prestige of having the Apple brand, but because it works so much better with the programs we need to use (i.e. Adobe products, FCP, Logic, Pro Tools, Audacity, etc.). And just an FYI, a base 27" iMac starts at $1800, a pretty good deal if you are starting out in the creative world. Just like the money spent by full-time Twitch streamers on their computer setups, it's an investment that pays back.

If I wanted a computer that was primarily for gaming, I would build a PC. But, why would I do that if I don't have to? Sure, I could run Win on basecamp on it, but if I don't have to, I'd prefer not to. And I would rather not have to shut everything down to restart it in that OS. Sometimes I do a little work, play a game or two for a break, then back to work again. With games that run on Mac, I can do that. A little Warships, a little tanks, maybe some Subnautica, or a little Borderlands 2... All while working on a 256 pg publication that will pay the rent for 3 months. Not a bad balance i think.

And, if Codeweavers doesn't release a WOT Mac Wrapper, I'm not going to cry about it. Sure it would suck for me, but don't I and those who use Macs have a right to be disappointed? We play the game, we are part of the community. We became players because WG advertises the game can be played on Mac OS and hosts links on their website to the installer. They have a forum area specifically for Macs/Mac OS. So when something like WOT 1.0 comes down the pipe and those who are on those Mac users are suddenly left without definitive answers on WOTs future on Mac OS, isn't it a reasonable expectation that we may want to voice concern? Having the attitude of "why are you complaining, you choose to buy a computer that gaming developers don't prioritize" doesn't lessen our wishes to continue to play the game and be a part of the community.

Well, that's enough from me... I tend to go on. Back to work, I mean gaming... or both :D

PS - Thanks for all you do on these forums black_colt! :honoring:

black_colt #34 Posted Mar 15 2018 - 20:55

Major

• -Players-
  • 3704 battles

View PostSamIAmPHX, on Mar 14 2018 - 19:18, said:

Just to throw my 2 cents in on this one. When it comes to the computer people use, you have to look at why they bought it in the first place, i.e. was it for gaming or something else.

I didn't buy my Apple iMac for gaming. I bought it to do Graphic Design and Audio/Video editing. I'm not a hipster, nor am I rich. But my iMac gives me a living. It MAKES me money. So even at $5K, it pays for itself. Most in the creative professions use Macs. Not because of the prestige of having the Apple brand, but because it works so much better with the programs we need to use (i.e. Adobe products, FCP, Logic, Pro Tools, Audacity, etc.). And just an FYI, a base 27" iMac starts at $1800, a pretty good deal if you are starting out in the creative world. Just like the money spent by full-time Twitch streamers on their computer setups, it's an investment that pays back.

If I wanted a computer that was primarily for gaming, I would build a PC. But, why would I do that if I don't have to? Sure, I could run Win on basecamp on it, but if I don't have to, I'd prefer not to. And I would rather not have to shut everything down to restart it in that OS. Sometimes I do a little work, play a game or two for a break, then back to work again. With games that run on Mac, I can do that. A little Warships, a little tanks, maybe some Subnautica, or a little Borderlands 2... All while working on a 256 pg publication that will pay the rent for 3 months. Not a bad balance i think.

And, if Codeweavers doesn't release a WOT Mac Wrapper, I'm not going to cry about it. Sure it would suck for me, but don't I and those who use Macs have a right to be disappointed? We play the game, we are part of the community. We became players because WG advertises the game can be played on Mac OS and hosts links on their website to the installer. They have a forum area specifically for Macs/Mac OS. So when something like WOT 1.0 comes down the pipe and those who are on those Mac users are suddenly left without definitive answers on WOTs future on Mac OS, isn't it a reasonable expectation that we may want to voice concern? Having the attitude of "why are you complaining, you choose to buy a computer that gaming developers don't prioritize" doesn't lessen our wishes to continue to play the game and be a part of the community.

Well, that's enough from me... I tend to go on. Back to work, I mean gaming... or both :D

PS - Thanks for all you do on these forums black_colt! :honoring:

Exactly - When it comes to the computer people use, you have to look at why they bought it in the first place...

The computing needs for each individual is individual - what a shocking idea ...

I like you I purchased my CTO late 2015 27-inch iMac 5K Retina so that I could run macOS - absolutely love the Retina screen.  Hooking up an Apple Thunderbolt Display required nothing except powering it up - no looking for drivers, etc.  And my Thunderbolt 2 RAID enclosure was just plug and play. Getting ZFS to run was as simple as downloading software and installing. And it is just icing on the cake that I can run MS Windows/Linux legally for the times that I need/want to run those apps.

Individuals must truly feel insecure about their choices if they need to come to a different town and start calling the residents names for their choice of lifestyle - OR - they are just plain bigots. What frustrates me the most is when MS Windows bigots come to this Forum and start putting spouting falsehoods, lies, etc.

Hopefully this Forum can remain a place for civilized, cogent, concise, and relevant discussion for WoT Mac Wrapper users since Wargaming has decided not to directly support us.  But it can also be a place to challenge falsehoods, lies, etc. about macOS made by bigoted individuals.

Yes - Wargaming has done a outright terrible job communicating support for the WoT Mac Wrapper and IMHO should directly support as they do for MS Windows users.  But right now there is nothing we can do about that except support fellow WoT Mac Wrapper users in this Forum as best we can through sharing our knowledge, insights, and questions.

Welcome - just trying to do my best to help users of the WoT Mac Wrapper enjoy, what I consider, a great game on the OS of their choice.

R1S100 #35 Posted Mar 20 2018 - 03:30

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 12891 battles

Well like I've been reminded countless times, the update will be released very, very shortly -  a week or two here folks. Let's see how this plays out. 

Thanks again for the help. If a Mac Wrapper is released right away, I'm going to post some kind of spam celebratory message on the Mac Forum to let thousands of people know that my frustration has been relieved haha :)

Mountain_Raider #36 Posted Mar 21 2018 - 04:26

Corporal

• Players
  • 19924 battles
  • [BE] BE

I'll chime in here....

I've been a Mac user since the late '80s.  (Yes, I'm old.)  I currently do all of my business (video, photo, and consulting) on a 12-core Mac Pro (cylinder) with 32 GB RAM and the dual AMD Firepro D500 graphic card.  I've worked with Hollywood stars, the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and even Sesame Street.  I've directed live EMMY shows and TED talks.  And, I happen to really enjoy playing World of Tanks.

Perhaps I'm an entitled wallet warrior?  According to my 2017 year-end credit card summary, I spent almost $600 (~$50/mo) with Wargaming.  That sounds like a lot (and it is), but how much does the average person spend on entertainment and treats (i.e. movies, going out, getting Starbucks, etc)?  My vice is WoT.  I hardly engage in any other pursuit of personal entertainment.  (Ok.... so I'm old AND boring.)  And so, WoT is where the majority of my discretionary dollars get spent.  If someone out there complains that Mac users suck away resources from the game, I'd ask in return how much that person has spent of their own money to support said game.  If the answer is little to none, then it is actually I who am paying to support the non-paying players.  I have no data to back this up, but I suspect that the comparatively small demographic of Mac players has a higher average spend per capita than the PC population.

For my part, I have absolutely no desire to own a PC or even to install Windows on my Mac.  If WG were to discontinue support of the Mac OS, I would not go out and buy a PC.  I would simply find a new recipient of my discretionary entertainment dollars.  It is likely that other Mac users would do the same.  And, WG would lose out on what is certainly thousands or tens of thousands of dollars of revenue.

A Russian computer programmer's median salary ranges from 1M to 1.5M Rubles ($17K to $27K USD).  The median pay for a programmer in the US is $80K.  It is not unreasonable to believe that the global Mac user population is at least capable of paying for the time required to maintain the wrapper.  In fact, our payments to Wargaming probably help fund the ongoing development that PC users are so fond of claiming as their own.

I get the 'Mac vs. PC' debate and have readily participated in good-natured arguments and poking fun at friends who use PC's.  And, I'd caution anyone who trolls in and casts aspersions on those that likely help keep the game alive.

Mac Users Unite!  (if you play on a Mac, send me a friend request and perhaps we can platoon sometime)

Crickxus #37 Posted Mar 21 2018 - 13:48

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 5623 battles
  • [LDC] LDC

View Postblack_colt, on Mar 12 2018 - 20:06, said:

Sounds like at least one game developer has made the Mac a priority ...

and blizzard, WoW has had a native client since start in 2004 and still does for most of their games.

so, it's not like it can't be done as long as you want the marketshare and the additional revenue, you need to invest some...

Edited by Crickxus, Mar 21 2018 - 13:50.

TheMadMaxx #38 Posted Mar 21 2018 - 14:48

Private

• -Players-
  • 29942 battles
  • [27PZR] 27PZR
Can we please move the debate over "whose is bigger" to another thread . 

black_colt #39 Posted Mar 21 2018 - 15:54

Major

• -Players-
  • 3704 battles

View PostMountain_Raider, on Mar 20 2018 - 19:26, said:

I'll chime in here....

I've been a Mac user since the late '80s.  (Yes, I'm old.)  I currently do all of my business (video, photo, and consulting) on a 12-core Mac Pro (cylinder) with 32 GB RAM and the dual AMD Firepro D500 graphic card.  I've worked with Hollywood stars, the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and even Sesame Street.  I've directed live EMMY shows and TED talks.  And, I happen to really enjoy playing World of Tanks.

Perhaps I'm an entitled wallet warrior?  According to my 2017 year-end credit card summary, I spent almost $600 (~$50/mo) with Wargaming.  That sounds like a lot (and it is), but how much does the average person spend on entertainment and treats (i.e. movies, going out, getting Starbucks, etc)?  My vice is WoT.  I hardly engage in any other pursuit of personal entertainment.  (Ok.... so I'm old AND boring.)  And so, WoT is where the majority of my discretionary dollars get spent.  If someone out there complains that Mac users suck away resources from the game, I'd ask in return how much that person has spent of their own money to support said game.  If the answer is little to none, then it is actually I who am paying to support the non-paying players.  I have no data to back this up, but I suspect that the comparatively small demographic of Mac players has a higher average spend per capita than the PC population.

For my part, I have absolutely no desire to own a PC or even to install Windows on my Mac.  If WG were to discontinue support of the Mac OS, I would not go out and buy a PC.  I would simply find a new recipient of my discretionary entertainment dollars.  It is likely that other Mac users would do the same.  And, WG would lose out on what is certainly thousands or tens of thousands of dollars of revenue.

A Russian computer programmer's median salary ranges from 1M to 1.5M Rubles ($17K to $27K USD).  The median pay for a programmer in the US is $80K.  It is not unreasonable to believe that the global Mac user population is at least capable of paying for the time required to maintain the wrapper.  In fact, our payments to Wargaming probably help fund the ongoing development that PC users are so fond of claiming as their own.

I get the 'Mac vs. PC' debate and have readily participated in good-natured arguments and poking fun at friends who use PC's.  And, I'd caution anyone who trolls in and casts aspersions on those that likely help keep the game alive.

Mac Users Unite!  (if you play on a Mac, send me a friend request and perhaps we can platoon sometime)

Just because you have disposable income and you chose to spend it on this game does NOT mean you are entitled.

If you like using the Mac - then that is great.  If you like using an MS Windows PC - then that is great as well.

Lets not let MS Windows bigots corrupt the WoT Mac Wrapper Support Forum.  

We, as players of the game, should welcome cogent, concise, and relevant posts from all OS[es] of help - who knows they may provide the critical piece of information that we need to solve the issue.  Also we should actively push back on those who come to the Forum just to make trouble.

This is a Support Forum - I take that as a Forum to support issues with the WoT Mac Wrapper.  

If, the WoT Mac Wrapper Community as a whole agrees, lets mark posts on personal opinions/things we would like clearly in the thread title - e.g. Opinion - Match Maker Needs to Be Changed

Doing so will make it easier for the Community to zero in on support for issues so that WoT Mac Wrapper users can get back to playing the game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users