Clear the Cap

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Desert_Faux #1 Posted Mar 13 2018 - 15:12

Major

• Players
  • 5083 battles
  • [-DTOM] -DTOM

Awhile back (month or so ago) I got to see a fairly decent player on my team play arty (I use XVM... So I anticipate some hate...). 

The arty asked everyone at the start of the match to destroy as many buildings as they could on their way to deploy where they were going. We all had fun making sure to hit various buildings on our way and clear a small radius around the cap.

It came in handy a little bit later on when the enemy tried to cap.  Our arty was better shot on the offending enemy tank.

Should one make it a habit to destroy what they can on their way leaving the cap? I rarely see it done or requested but it seems like it would have some benefits for the team later on. Assuming one just destroys what is on their way to where they are going and they don't make a special trip(s) to clear the cap instead of going where they were needed that is.

It just seems that most don't even bother trying to knock over a few buildings by cap when they leave. 

Good idea? waste of time?

DeathbyGMaC #2 Posted Mar 13 2018 - 15:22

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 29769 battles
  • [_RUF_] _RUF_
Good idea in my view and I try to do it every time. It gives the Reds nothing to hide behind when you have to come back to defend your cap.

BattlecryGWJ #3 Posted Mar 13 2018 - 15:24

Major

• Players
  • 34793 battles
  • [RSRDD] RSRDD

Its always seemed to me that clearing out anything destructible from around cap is a good idea.  You don't need to keep the enemy from getting to cap, you just need to keep them from getting enough points to cap out so if you've got a lemming train or have simply had one side fall then you just defend cap from the strong side.

The benefit of letting the enemy get to cap is that many times they'll have difficulty making up their minds if they should try to sit on cap or keep pushing, so you can use that time to your advantage and its easier to keep their cap points suppressed if you've already made sure that they don't have any cover.

dunniteowl #4 Posted Mar 13 2018 - 15:31

Major

• -Players-
  • 20403 battles

Generally speaking this is a good and sound idea.  You don't want ANYTHING to protect enemy units in YOUR cap circle.  Any arguments that say this also removes your ability to defend the cap are falsities disguised as reason.  You should NEVER defend your cap from within it's confines EVER.

Destroy what you wish in the area of the cap circle whenever convenient.  Don't waste time doing it, although if you can, do so.  Plus it IS fun to do.

OvO approves

power_Donky #5 Posted Mar 13 2018 - 16:00

Major

• Players
  • 24035 battles
  • [HAVOK] HAVOK
I always do it 

dnaman #6 Posted Mar 13 2018 - 16:22

Captain

• Players
  • 28364 battles
  • [_EOS_] _EOS_
I frequently take our destroyable cover on my way out for the reasons stated above.  It’s just smart to not allow the enemy cover for when you may need to reset.

Mojo_Riesing #7 Posted Mar 13 2018 - 16:25

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 17424 battles
  • [R8DER] R8DER

Edited by Mojo_Riesing, Jun 07 2018 - 16:15.

dos_poptarts #8 Posted Mar 13 2018 - 16:29

Private

• -Players-
  • 4358 battles
Highway north spawn - I always drive through bldgs/sheds on my way to the town.

legolion17 #9 Posted Mar 13 2018 - 16:32

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 6700 battles
I just knock down trees

Nunya_000 #10 Posted Mar 13 2018 - 16:39

Major

• Players
  • 20959 battles
  • [PACNW] PACNW

But remember, if you destroy the supplies in the middle of your cap circle, it allows the red team to cap faster.  :trollface:

Lonewolfpj #11 Posted Mar 13 2018 - 16:44

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 3762 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY
It’s a good move. I only usually do it during clan events.

xrays_ #12 Posted Mar 13 2018 - 17:26

Major

• Players
  • 46184 battles
  • [FELOW] FELOW

On the map, Airfield, there could be two trains of thought on this concept. First, knock down all the buildings (which will take a bit of time) so there's nothing for the enemy tanks to hide behind, giving your team easier sights and shots if and when it's needed later in the match. Second, don't touch anything, because (as an artillery player) the enemy tanks will likely knock something down while getting on to your base allowing the artillery a chance to guess at at least one blind shot for resets.

Generally, the rule of thumb is to knock down stuff as you're passing by, but not waste any time doing it (please, do not shoot Premium rounds at buildings, for obvious reasons). This is something that is grilled into us during Clan Wars, as nobody wants any structures for the enemy team to hide behind if they attempt a fast cap. Remember that HE shells (typically used for resetting the timer) are absorbed by structures, including the generic tower and crates that appear in every cap circle.

In random battles, it is not as important to follow these rules, but it is still a handy thing to do.

x.

the_Deadly_Bulb #13 Posted Mar 13 2018 - 17:31

Major

• Players
  • 20999 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

Make the destructible items into ruins.

I have used the barn on the south spawn of Highway many times to hide in while I cap that base out.

When I spawn there I always wreck it. You can hide 3 tanks in that thing!

Removing concealment at your cap is always a good idea IMO. :great:

Edited by the_Deadly_Bulb, Mar 13 2018 - 17:35.

BlumpKenDo #14 Posted Mar 13 2018 - 20:15

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 0 battles
I like having a few billdings around cap to hide behind if I stay behind for gaurd duty when i play in the LT's. 

the_Deadly_Bulb #15 Posted Mar 13 2018 - 20:31

Major

• Players
  • 20999 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View Postdunniteowl, on Mar 13 2018 - 06:31, said:

Generally speaking this is a good and sound idea.  You don't want ANYTHING to protect enemy units in YOUR cap circle.  Any arguments that say this also removes your ability to defend the cap are falsities disguised as reason.  You should NEVER defend your cap from within it's confines EVER.

Destroy what you wish in the area of the cap circle whenever convenient.  Don't waste time doing it, although if you can, do so.  Plus it IS fun to do.

OvO approves

View PostBlumpKenDo, on Mar 13 2018 - 11:15, said:

I like having a few billdings around cap to hide behind if I stay behind for gaurd duty when i play in the LT's.

I'll give this one to the owl.

Sorry Blump but "guarding the cap" is NOT the duty of the LT.

IMO that is a terrible waste of a LT.

BlumpKenDo #16 Posted Mar 13 2018 - 20:36

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 0 battles

View Postthe_Deadly_Bulb, on Mar 13 2018 - 20:31, said:

I'll give this one to the owl.

Sorry Blump but "guarding the cap" is NOT the duty of the LT.

IMO that is a terrible waste of a LT.

It takes an LT to fight an LT raiding cap looking for arty to kill. I like to stay behind to protect arty becuase they are the heavy hitters .

the_Deadly_Bulb #17 Posted Mar 13 2018 - 20:41

Major

• Players
  • 20999 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostBlumpKenDo, on Mar 13 2018 - 11:36, said:

It takes an LT to fight an LT raiding cap looking for arty to kill. I like to stay behind to protect arty becuase they are the heavy hitters .

LTs are the teams eyes. By sitting in cap you make the team shortsighted. This is a waste of an LT IMO.

Want to 'guard' cap? Bring a TD. :honoring:

dunniteowl #18 Posted Mar 13 2018 - 21:01

Major

• -Players-
  • 20403 battles

View PostBlumpKenDo, on Mar 13 2018 - 13:36, said:

There is no reasonable argument you can make that would justify taking out an LT to 'guard cap' at the start of the match.  As an LT you have the prototypical greater chance to outrun, outspot and outmaneuver most of what you meet at tier and even slightly above.  Sitting in the cap circle waiting for the other team to come is nothing more than waiting for your team to lose and shoot it out at the OK Corral at the end.  There is nothing tactically or strategically useful to remove a gun that is so mobile from the game for this purpose.  You can always come running back, at worst, with three on cap, you have about 47 seconds to get back there.

That's PLENTY of time to get a reset on cap and that's all you need.  Please don't be one of those Maroons (colorwise as well as Looney-Tunes-wise) that 'guards cap' in case the enemy team gets by the rest of your team.  If you put yourself in a place to block that from happening, you'd be a darn sight more useful to your team from the get-go.

OvO

GL, HF & HSYBF

the_Deadly_Bulb #19 Posted Mar 13 2018 - 21:07

Major

• Players
  • 20999 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View Postdunniteowl, on Mar 13 2018 - 12:01, said:

There is no reasonable argument you can make that would justify taking out an LT to 'guard cap' at the start of the match.  As an LT you have the prototypical greater chance to outrun, outspot and outmaneuver most of what you meet at tier and even slightly above.  Sitting in the cap circle waiting for the other team to come is nothing more than waiting for your team to lose and shoot it out at the OK Corral at the end.  There is nothing tactically or strategically useful to remove a gun that is so mobile from the game for this purpose.  You can always come running back, at worst, with three on cap, you have about 47 seconds to get back there.

That's PLENTY of time to get a reset on cap and that's all you need.  Please don't be one of those Maroons (colorwise as well as Looney-Tunes-wise) that 'guards cap' in case the enemy team gets by the rest of your team.  If you put yourself in a place to block that from happening, you'd be a darn sight more useful to your team from the get-go.

OvO

GL, HF & HSYBF

LOL!

He said "Maroon". :D

Bugs is great!

Mel was too! :great:

Oh and the rest of the owl's post was bang on too.

Don't camp cap in a LT. It makes your team into Mr Magoo

Edited by the_Deadly_Bulb, Mar 13 2018 - 21:10.

BlumpKenDo #20 Posted Mar 13 2018 - 21:07

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 0 battles

View Postdunniteowl, on Mar 13 2018 - 21:01, said:

OvO

GL, HF & HSYBF

But then who will safeguard the Arty?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users