Sniper badge suggestion

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

savage29 #1 Posted Sep 02 2011 - 12:15

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
Because of the limited conditions in which this medal is obtained, it is very situational and not accurately given, therefore I propose it becomes a personal medal with a specific condition, my suggestion being it given to a player if they achieve a 100% hit rate in a match.

There are a few reasons for this, the first being that in order to get sniper, a minimum of 10 shots must be fired, which is not always possible to actually do for any tank in a match. This medal is very biased towards medium tanks generally so it is unfair to give such a specific condition when heavy tanks and artillery have vastly slower firing rates.

Another reason being that because of the nature of random battles, noone can accurately predict where enemies will be, therefore it becomes even harder for people to obtain.

And lastly, what about the people that stay near base to defend from others, who often don't get a chance to fire at anything at all?

Thanks for taking this into consideration if you do.

Cheers!

ionviol2 #2 Posted Sep 02 2011 - 12:20

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
All achievements are situational, that's the underlying premise of 'achieving': make the best out of a difficult situation.

One shell fired to hit a target for 100% accuracy is not much of an achievement.

Be the guy with the most XP gain on your team, a 85% hit ratio out of a minimum 11 shots fired with a minimum of 1k damage dealt. Now that's an achievement.

savage29 #3 Posted Sep 02 2011 - 12:42

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles

View Postionviol2, on Sep 02 2011 - 12:20, said:

All achievements are situational, that's the underlying premise of 'achieving': make the best out of a difficult situation.

One shell fired to hit a target for 100% accuracy is not much of an achievement.

Be the guy with the most XP gain on your team, a 85% hit ratio out of a minimum 11 shots fired with a minimum of 1k damage dealt. Now that's an achievement.

Did you even read my whole post? It seems like you didn't. I'll make it clearer for you ok? This badge is *TOO* situational and for some, unobtainable.
I suggest you actually think further into things before you read the first line of a post and instantly respond. As for you saying one shell fired in a match for 100%, I guess I didn't make myself clear enough, I didn't say other conditions couldn't be added. Think about when (if you own one) a Maus. How many shots per match on average do you take? Think about an E-50 (again, if you own one). How many shots per match on average do you take? I'm sure it would be much more (if you actually play your tank for the purpose it was intended).

ForcestormX #4 Posted Sep 02 2011 - 12:53

Major

• Wiki Staff
  • 0 battles
Heavy tanks not get it? I have 11 in my Lowe, most out of all my tanks, including mediums. Most XP wins it, so the extra damage heavies do can flip that equation quick.

Sniper is practically guaranteed at higher tiers each battle as it is. 1000 damage is the harder cap threshold to cross rather than number of shots, esp before Tier VI guns. If you want to get it as a Arty, lol good luck. Better off trying for Confederate or Top Gun.

It's easy enough to know where to go: get yourself into the thick of things, or try again next match. Learn the lanes. Wanna know how to get at least 10 accurate shots in? All the usual survival tactics, be smart, and work with your team. About half of my sniper medals occurred because I went and flanked the current snarl, then potshot the crap out of them. But then, you can't do that without working with your team. Sniper isn't always an individual medal...

When you get it at low tiers, take pride and show off, not complain about how hard it is to achieve otherwise.

Saga #5 Posted Sep 02 2011 - 12:53

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
You seem to be angry about a lot of things this morning.  I hope you find some peace and start to have fun while playing the game.  Ionviol2 made a valid point.  There's no reason to jump down his throat.  Your response changed your post from 'consider this' to 'accept my point or go to hell' pretty quickly. . .and you probably won't find anyone to support you now.

GRB_Duck #6 Posted Sep 02 2011 - 12:54

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles

View Postsavage29, on Sep 02 2011 - 12:15, said:

Because of the limited conditions in which this medal is obtained, it is very situational and not accurately given, therefore I propose it becomes a personal medal with a specific condition, my suggestion being it given to a player if they achieve a 100% hit rate in a match.

There are a few reasons for this, the first being that in order to get sniper, a minimum of 10 shots must be fired, which is not always possible to actually do for any tank in a match. This medal is very biased towards medium tanks generally so it is unfair to give such a specific condition when heavy tanks and artillery have vastly slower firing rates.

Another reason being that because of the nature of random battles, noone can accurately predict where enemies will be, therefore it becomes even harder for people to obtain.

And lastly, what about the people that stay near base to defend from others, who often don't get a chance to fire at anything at all?

Thanks for taking this into consideration if you do.

Cheers!

I'm a little stunned that anyone actually CARES about these things.

ionviol2 #7 Posted Sep 02 2011 - 12:55

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostSaga, on Sep 02 2011 - 12:53, said:

You seem to be angry about a lot of things this morning.  I hope you find some peace and start to have fun while playing the game.  Ionviol2 made a valid point.  There's no reason to jump down his throat.  Your response changed your post from 'consider this' to 'accept my point or go to hell' pretty quickly. . .and you probably won't find anyone to support you now.

Nail to the head.

View Postsavage29, on Sep 02 2011 - 12:42, said:

Did you even read my whole post? It seems like you didn't. I'll make it clearer for you ok? This badge is *TOO* situational and for some, unobtainable.
I suggest you actually think further into things before you read the first line of a post and instantly respond. As for you saying one shell fired in a match for 100%, I guess I didn't make myself clear enough, I didn't say other conditions couldn't be added. Think about when (if you own one) a Maus. How many shots per match on average do you take? Think about an E-50 (again, if you own one). How many shots per match on average do you take? I'm sure it would be much more (if you actually play your tank for the purpose it was intended).

Yes I did. No need to throw a tantrum.

The underlying problem of your suggestion is that you wish to make as such everyone and their dog can get it without breaking a sweat.

This badge is incredibly easy to obtain already. Even with an SPG. If anything, the requirements for it should be increased, not decreased.

Your attitude leaves a lot to be desired.

Have a nice day.

Mankoi #8 Posted Sep 02 2011 - 13:06

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
I dont see that its more likely a heavy to obtain it , most of mine is from heavy tanks and especially the ones with lower fire rate where you try to make every shot count and you take time to aim better.

The one thing that will make this reward more "real " and more apropriate ( not sure of the spelling) to its name is to take in account the distance of the shots.

You cant be called a sniper with a 152 derp gun KV which only finds target at 20-50 meters away only.

ionviol2 #9 Posted Sep 02 2011 - 13:14

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostMankoi, on Sep 02 2011 - 13:06, said:

I dont see that its more likely a heavy to obtain it , most of mine is from heavy tanks and especially the ones with lower fire rate where you try to make every shot count and you take time to aim better.

The one thing that will make this reward more "real " and more apropriate ( not sure of the spelling) to its name is to take in account the distance of the shots.

You cant be called a sniper with a 152 derp gun KV which only finds target at 20-50 meters away only.

QFT

The average distance at which you've hit your targets to be outside of a certain radius around your tank, coupled with a minimum number of shots fired and a YY% hit ratio.

Conversely, add a brawler badge, where the requirement would be for the distance between you and any targets you've hit to be within a certain radius around your tank.

savage29 #10 Posted Sep 02 2011 - 13:16

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles

The underlying problem of your suggestion is that you wish to make as such everyone and their dog can get it without breaking a sweat.

As opposed to a Maus getting steel wall virtually every match they survive, with zero effort required?

Sniper is practically guaranteed at higher tiers each battle as it is.

Guaranteed to who out of 30 players in a match?

It's easy enough to know where to go: get yourself into the thick of things, or try again next match. Learn the lanes. Wanna know how to get at least 10 accurate shots in? All the usual survival tactics, be smart, and work with your team. About half of my sniper medals occurred because I went and flanked the current snarl, then potshot the crap out of them. But then, you can't do that without working with your team. Sniper isn't always an individual medal...

I know what you are trying to say here, and you are so close to being right, honestly. Except you are forgetting that random battles are exactly that. An example would be a map with 2 main areas to push for attack like Abbey. You have the far east line down the trench, and the hills on the west. They both provide ample opportunity to get the enemy base from the side where there is comparatively better cover (somewhat dependent on the tier match). You cannot predict accurately where the thick of things will be, and often, survival tactics rely upon teamwork, but it's extremely hard to garner support in a random match unless you are in a platoon.

I realise that not everyone has the ability to be logical, a good example being people that play tank destroyers. All too often I see them camping in places they cannot shoot from without being shot first because they have no turret.

savage29 #11 Posted Sep 02 2011 - 13:19

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostMankoi, on Sep 02 2011 - 13:06, said:

Indeed, I agree with this entirely!

o7

savage29 #12 Posted Sep 02 2011 - 13:20

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles

View Postionviol2, on Sep 02 2011 - 13:14, said:

QFT

The average distance at which you've hit your targets to be outside of a certain radius around your tank, coupled with a minimum number of shots fired and a YY% hit ratio.

Conversely, add a brawler badge, where the requirement would be for the distance between you and any targets you've hit to be within a certain radius around your tank.

I agree with this as well!

And to add to the entire concept of being a sniper, how about adding a condition that states you must be camouflaged or at least off enemy radar (which I guess brings the distance into effect anyway) when your shots hit?

o7

ionviol2 #13 Posted Sep 02 2011 - 13:24

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View Postsavage29, on Sep 02 2011 - 13:16, said:

words

You do realize this is thread went from the suggestion status to bashing of anyone who has provided a reasonable reply?

I warmly suggest a more open minded approach. See what people have to say before disagreeing. It is not like such changes have a ultrahigh chance to be implemented anyway.

savage29 #14 Posted Sep 02 2011 - 13:26

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles

View Postionviol2, on Sep 02 2011 - 13:24, said:

You do realize this is thread went from the suggestion status to bashing of anyone who has provided a reasonable reply?

I warmly suggest a more open minded approach. See what people have to say before disagreeing. It is not like such changes will have a superhigh chance to be implemented anyway.

You spoke too soon. Two people have offered suggestions to this idea, and I expanded on it myself only moments ago ;)

ionviol2 #15 Posted Sep 02 2011 - 13:27

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View Postsavage29, on Sep 02 2011 - 13:26, said:

You spoke too soon. Two people have offered suggestions to this idea, and I expanded on it myself only moments ago ;)

I saw. :)

savage29 #16 Posted Sep 02 2011 - 13:32

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostSaga, on Sep 02 2011 - 12:53, said:

I'm usually not the type to use adolescent expressions, but.... LMFAO! I have no idea how you perceived my response as being angry, my rebuttal to his reply was based on logical reasoning. And if you are still reading this thread, you will see that two people are supporting my idea. So, the only conclusion I can come to about you is that you have nothing better to do and are trolling to cure your boredom. That's fine by me, I can openly admit I  ignore this type of unjustified garbage, but only after pointing out the flaws ;)

savage29 #17 Posted Sep 02 2011 - 13:33

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles

View Postionviol2, on Sep 02 2011 - 13:27, said:

I saw. :)

So, would you like to offer a suggestion? I have in no way stated that my suggestion was the only way to go, obviously :)

hbofgenuine #18 Posted Dec 23 2011 - 15:57

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
I find sniper medals to be dime a dozen.  Giving sniper medals to those who have 100% hit rate .. well I am not sure is the way to go though...  Oftentimes, there are multiple folks who have 100% Hit ratio with over 10 shots fired...

I personally find myself having more than a few games in a row where I do not miss a shot.. and get snipers 5-8 games (in pubs) in a row in my T8/9 heavies... on the bright side, I'm only a few away from 1000 :) but again that's just me so..

As for heavies with slower reload time- I do not really find it much of a problem so long as you are not playing pub-stupid lulz

Besides, most people couldn't even hit the side of a maus even if it was face hugging them :/