Tier 8-10 = Frustrating

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

BuckSparkles #1 Posted Mar 15 2018 - 07:36

Sergeant

• Players
  • 10450 battles

Maybe this isn't the right place, but I have about 6k battles with a 49.65% winrate overall. Tiers 1-7 felt pretty straight forward. Some tanks have stronger armor but they have weakspots that are easy to remember and you can at least hope to pen them.

I have a stock 110, a full tiger 2, and a panther 8.8 as my three tier 3's atm and I feel so frustrated and discouraged every 8,9,10 game. Every enemy tank feels immune to my shots (unless of course they expose their sides or back in plain sight.) And it feels like frontal weakspots do not exist. I am not a believer in gold rounds either. They make me feel dirty and don't feel like they improve me as a player since essentially it's ignoring a key concept of the game and that is armor and weakspots.

Meanwhile, I feel like a piece of paper. Sure it doesn't help that I feel like 80% of players 8/9/10 fling ONLY gold, but at the same time, it still escapes me how people seem to bounce everything. Or how they can snapshot across a field away and hit me and wound 2 crew and harm some parts...from a front shot and meanwhile I can shoot them 100 times and feel like the only thing I may harm is a track.

Tried angling and wiggling, but even still it doen't seem to do much. Or of course the high ranked players don't play with the "armor" mechanic and just fling gold.

I don't know...I feel 6-7 and 8 at most is managable and I do enjoy my games, but being bottom tier in a high tier match makes me feel like the most I can do is track people (which I do often). Or in my tier 7 light tank passive scout.

Any advice? Maybe I just shouldn't get so intimidated by higher tiers.

Edited by BuckSparkles, Mar 15 2018 - 07:40.

Ethereal_Slim_Shady #2 Posted Mar 15 2018 - 07:37

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 21 battles

As a long-time unicum, this game is getting worse and worse. More frustrating and less interesting. I'm not enjoying playing WOT anymore, almost at all, and it sucks.

Probably be moving on to a game where the company actually cares about their content.

BuckSparkles #3 Posted Mar 15 2018 - 07:44

Sergeant

• Players
  • 10450 battles

View PostEthereal_Slim_Shady, on Mar 15 2018 - 06:37, said:

As a long-time unicum, this game is getting worse and worse. More frustrating and less interesting. I'm not enjoying playing WOT anymore, almost at all, and it sucks.

Probably be moving on to a game where the company actually cares about their content.

What makes you say that? And is it just high tier games or overall?

Zapp__Brannigan #4 Posted Mar 15 2018 - 07:47

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 7900 battles
  • [PERCH] PERCH
Honestly, at your stats and battles played, you simply are not ready for tier 8+. I'm guessing you are playing your Tiger 2 as a brawling tank because its a heavy which is horrifically wrong. The Panther 8.8 and Tigers play a lot alike, you are support tanks, hang back and use the insane German accuracy to your advantage. You can not believe in gold rounds all you want, but there are times when you WILL need some to swing the battle in your teams favor (btw frontal weakspots on tier 8+ are generally viewports and cupolas and lower plates, you wont penetrate much else) German armor in specific isnt really built (the Maus line aside) to be front line brawlers, so naturally people with higher tier tanks then you are going to shred your armor. If you are tracking people often, you need to aim a bit higher for the weaker sideplates instead of just doing track damage.... try uploading a few videos and I can give you more specific pointers. 

Zapp__Brannigan #5 Posted Mar 15 2018 - 07:48

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 7900 battles
  • [PERCH] PERCH

View PostEthereal_Slim_Shady, on Mar 15 2018 - 07:37, said:

Yet here you are...running your mouth on an alt account......

BuckSparkles #6 Posted Mar 15 2018 - 08:03

Sergeant

• Players
  • 10450 battles

View PostZapp__Brannigan, on Mar 15 2018 - 06:47, said:

Honestly, at your stats and battles played, you simply are not ready for tier 8+. I'm guessing you are playing your Tiger 2 as a brawling tank because its a heavy which is horrifically wrong. The Panther 8.8 and Tigers play a lot alike, you are support tanks, hang back and use the insane German accuracy to your advantage. You can not believe in gold rounds all you want, but there are times when you WILL need some to swing the battle in your teams favor (btw frontal weakspots on tier 8+ are generally viewports and cupolas and lower plates, you wont penetrate much else) German armor in specific isnt really built (the Maus line aside) to be front line brawlers, so naturally people with higher tier tanks then you are going to shred your armor. If you are tracking people often, you need to aim a bit higher for the weaker sideplates instead of just doing track damage.... try uploading a few videos and I can give you more specific pointers. 

Both the tiger 2 and 110 atm I feel like every game even if we win with premium is just a credit loss. Just don't feel like I can pen anything, especially on the 110 with that god awful 175 pen stock gun. Only things I feel I can safely pen are light tanks. But almost all heavies and most mediums just feel pointless to shoot.

And yeah I know the panther 8.8  should be treated more like a sniper, but what is the point if the 203 pen gun can't pen anything unless it's facing the wrong way. If my panther or tiger 2 is top tier it's very easy to bully and smack things even a tier below, since I feel I can actually pen somebody and not just watch endless bounces.

I actually get excited at bounces since they happen so rarely.

Edited by BuckSparkles, Mar 15 2018 - 08:06.

Viper69 #7 Posted Mar 15 2018 - 10:54

Major

• Players
  • 7528 battles

View PostEthereal_Slim_Shady, on Mar 15 2018 - 01:37, said:

hahaha 21 battles I would hope your win rate is high. 

Awestryker #8 Posted Mar 15 2018 - 12:24

Major

• Players
  • 25861 battles

Tiers 8+ should get rid of 3/5/7 MM, and only use 5/10 or 15...

Boxhawk #9 Posted Mar 15 2018 - 13:12

Major

• Players
  • 31190 battles
Stick to tiers 5-7 and get those crews up to 4+ skills.  When you are going up against people with20, 30 70 thousand battles they are much better crewed than you are, and know every nook and cranny of every map.

dont_ping_me #10 Posted Mar 15 2018 - 13:12

Major

• Players
  • 80770 battles

I really feel sorry for you as a relatively new player. You are trying to play with three poorly performing tanks atm mainly due to the krappy new MM system and power creeping.

175 pen on the 110 is not really viable on a tier 8 these days. Many of the pref premimums have 175 pen, and they are struggling even with their preferential MM status. With the new MM, and being bottom tier most of the time, and not firing gold, I'm surprised you have not quit the fame altogether. The armor on the 110 is sub-par too.

The Panther 88 is well known for being a terrible tank. Sorry you wasted your money on it.

The Tiger 2 never had great armor, but it does have a nice gun. However, it has been power-crept and nerfed by the new MM.

To help improve things, you either have to get a better gun on the 110 or sling gold.

Don't play the tiger like a heavy unless you happen to be top tier. That doesn't mean play like a TD, but you do need to stay back a way behind the other heavies and act as support rather than pushing.

For the panther, again you need to be very cautious in this tank and play it almost like a TD.

VooDooKobra #11 Posted Mar 15 2018 - 13:52

Major

• Players
  • 9052 battles
  • [MOVE] MOVE

View PostAwestryker, on Mar 15 2018 - 04:24, said:

Tiers 8+ should get rid of 3/5/7 MM, and only use 5/10 or 15...

if a person knows that it will be even tier all the time the majority of the population would take the now OP premium tanks and the game will have now truely become pay to win.  personally i think it should be tier 10, even tier, tier 9 5/10 and leave tier 8 at 3/5/7 but fix the 357 percentage of top middle and bottom tier.  the 357 was not a horrible idea because it addressed the complaints people had before that format was done.  it just needs balancing

CapPhrases #12 Posted Mar 15 2018 - 14:10

Major

• -Players-
  • 7280 battles

it's like looking at myself

OK OP I hate to tell you but yeah you need to stick with tiers 6-7 (though 6 isn't having much luck at the moment either thanks 3/5/7 :/ ). you can train up crew skills/free xp there before going into the powercreeped, unbalanced FUBAR that is tiers 8-10. WG knows there are problems and will get to them.....

eventually

someday

maybe

Georgietheprincess #13 Posted Mar 15 2018 - 14:24

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 38397 battles
  • [WOAH7] WOAH7

Tier 8 is just awful because tier 8 mm is awful. It is absolutely the hardest tier to play through right now. 

Taking aside the awful mm tier 8 gets, tier 8 is also where this game begins to change. You need to know how to use and abuse certain game mechanics reliably or you won't perform. Starting at tier 8 is when you will really get punished for for vision control, map awareness, positioning, etc...

Upload some replays for people to review if you want specific pointers and watch some streamers. Personally I recommend Nebula and/or lemming rush. Both are wonderful at communicating with their viewers and have an incredible knowledge of the game.

BuckSparkles #14 Posted Mar 15 2018 - 18:12

Sergeant

• Players
  • 10450 battles

View PostGeorgietheprincess, on Mar 15 2018 - 13:24, said:

Tier 8 is just awful because tier 8 mm is awful. It is absolutely the hardest tier to play through right now. 

Taking aside the awful mm tier 8 gets, tier 8 is also where this game begins to change. You need to know how to use and abuse certain game mechanics reliably or you won't perform. Starting at tier 8 is when you will really get punished for for vision control, map awareness, positioning, etc...

Upload some replays for people to review if you want specific pointers and watch some streamers. Personally I recommend Nebula and/or lemming rush. Both are wonderful at communicating with their viewers and have an incredible knowledge of the game.

I have watched Lemming, and while I like some of what he does, he flings gold far too often for my tastes and seems to only play tanks that are recognized as being good tanks. Know any streamers who try to make it work with less popular or powerful tanks? Because playing with high tier tanks (and I mean by capability not by actual tier) can only help somebody so much.

I do feel like my light tank and medium tank gameplay is improving, since I feel like I don't have armor on any tank I play anyways so might as well stick to tanks who have high mobility, reload speed, and can hide easily.

One of the stat tracking sites thinks I play heavies the best which I find amusing since I feel like when I play a heavy I do less damage and take more damage than an average game on a lighter tank. For example I am utterly loving my WZ131 and have learned many ways to effectively passive and active scout.

View PostLesser_Spotted_Panzer, on Mar 15 2018 - 12:12, said:

I really feel sorry for you as a relatively new player. You are trying to play with three poorly performing tanks atm mainly due to the krappy new MM system and power creeping.

175 pen on the 110 is not really viable on a tier 8 these days. Many of the pref premimums have 175 pen, and they are struggling even with their preferential MM status. With the new MM, and being bottom tier most of the time, and not firing gold, I'm surprised you have not quit the fame altogether. The armor on the 110 is sub-par too.

The Panther 88 is well known for being a terrible tank. Sorry you wasted your money on it.

The Tiger 2 never had great armor, but it does have a nice gun. However, it has been power-crept and nerfed by the new MM.

To help improve things, you either have to get a better gun on the 110 or sling gold.

Don't play the tiger like a heavy unless you happen to be top tier. That doesn't mean play like a TD, but you do need to stay back a way behind the other heavies and act as support rather than pushing.

For the panther, again you need to be very cautious in this tank and play it almost like a TD.

110 I am likely going to slowly and painfully free xp my way to the top tier gun which actually looks able to do something.

panther 8.8 yeah I am aware now. 36% win rate for me after 162 battles and abysmal win rate overall for other people. I just wanted a premium tank that could roll in credits. I used to like my churchill 3 but at this point I feel it's just a slow moving target. But hey, least on a good game on a panther 8.8 I do make monstrous amount of credits, not to mention my best trained crew is currently sitting in it.

Edited by BuckSparkles, Mar 15 2018 - 18:16.

oldewolfe #15 Posted Mar 15 2018 - 23:00

Major

• -Players-
  • 21180 battles
  • [1STBN] 1STBN

Tier 8 is essentially where I live....    I use 7's on Occasion, rarely 6's, and generally I don't Dip below 5 if I can help it.....         My 9's and 10's don't get out much because they're Expensive to Maintain and I don't have the Confidence enough in the Teams to put myself thru that....     Tier 8 is Bad enough...

As has been pointed out, Tier 8 is where everything Changes, some Good and Some not so much....       3/5/7 falls under the Not so Much Category.....          Especially when you consider the Number of Tier 10 Tanks in Players Garages and just how Long most of those Players have been at this, Tier 8 just becomes Food for them and their Stat's.....

The Good is you start to get some Good Tanks and Good Experience....        You also get 3 Tiers to work on taking those Tier 10's out because once you make Tier 9, the Footing begins to Equalize some and you can start to Give as good as they can....      The Pace I've noticed begins to Slow and become typically more Structured and, for the most Part, the Teams generally have an Idea where they need to be...     

I like Tier 8 for the Challenge, though there are Days it doesn't much care for me but I deal with it Mostly Well....     I was 100% WR the last 2 or 3 Days in my Tiger II even though I only managed about a 20% Survival Rate overall in basically nothing but Tier 9 and 10 Battles....      This AM I finally got a Tier 8 match and we Lost, go Figure.....    I'm about 40K from the E75 being Fully Topped out when you figure in my Free XP, so I know how you feel about the Tiger, it's a Good Tank when Allowed to be by MM and RNG and just another Victim when the Powers that be say Not Today....       It is, at this present time, my Last remaining Tier 8 Grinder with 4 more waiting in the Wings.....

If I feel I need the Break, I do drop to Tier 7 for a Bit or get out the 7/1 and Blow some Credits with the Occasional HESHgasm run....     I find the Lower Tiers more Trouble than the Uppers so I tend to not Stray far...       I hope you find yourself a Middle Ground to go to where you can Enjoy the Game, but so far it sounds like a Break can't hurt...    

Good Luck to you....

Mikosah #16 Posted Mar 15 2018 - 23:26

Major

• Players
  • 17582 battles

Unfortunately that's just the way the high tiers are- the armor meta has gotten to a point where sticking exclusively to regular ammo is an extreme liability. Especially for those in the unfortunate position of playing tier 8s in the era of the 3/5/7 MM template. The reality is that you're going to need gold ammo to be even remotely productive in the high tiers, and that everyone else will have no qualms about doing the same right back to you. It'll be slow-paced, team dependent, and expensive. No way around that. 

That being the case, my honest advice is to find something you like in the middle tiers and play that instead. The game is just so much more functional (and affordable) at tier 7 and below. 

Ethereal_Slim_Shady #17 Posted Mar 15 2018 - 23:38

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 21 battles

View PostBuckSparkles, on Mar 15 2018 - 07:44, said:

What makes you say that? And is it just high tier games or overall?

Probably the fact that I enjoyed WOT as it was two years ago and it's gone downhill ever since.

If your goal is to just drive and shoot tanks and try to win some games, it's a fine game. But it has so much potential and WarGaming, being the awful company they are, is just throwing it away.

High tier games make me a bit saltier than mid tier games because you can carry less. With WG's retarded single tier matches, my tier 10s can't really carry at all. In the mid tiers you see more 5-10 and 3-5-7 matches, where my M4, Cromwell B, KV-2, T20, and T29 can carry, and actually affect the outcome of the game in a greater way.

It's a super simple fix in my opinion to get the game where I personally want it. Yeah, this isn't general opinion, just mine.

Remove arty. It's literally pointless.

Make the MM try it's damndest to make each match 5-10 template.

Aaaaaaand done. Maybe change the dumb HE mechanic tanks, Type 5, FV183, but yeah, almost there.

mrmojo #18 Posted Mar 16 2018 - 00:08

Major

• Players
  • 20247 battles
  • [-LEG-] -LEG-

View PostBuckSparkles, on Mar 16 2018 - 01:12, said:

I have watched Lemming, and while I like some of what he does, he flings gold far too often for my tastes and seems to only play tanks that are recognized as being good tanks. Know any streamers who try to make it work with less popular or powerful tanks? Because playing with high tier tanks (and I mean by capability not by actual tier) can only help somebody so much.

Watch Sirfoch (Channel is TheFochYou) he plays without gold ammo and rages against OP russian tanks etc, very salty but a very good player.

VooDooKobra #19 Posted Mar 16 2018 - 01:47

Major

• Players
  • 9052 battles
  • [MOVE] MOVE

View Postmrmojo, on Mar 15 2018 - 16:08, said:

Watch Sirfoch (Channel is TheFochYou) he plays without gold ammo and rages against OP russian tanks etc, very salty but a very good player.

heck no i work for a living i dont need to watch someone rage away from the job too lol

n00bfarmer #20 Posted Mar 16 2018 - 02:01

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 21 battles
The trend in the past year or so has been to release new tanks that are balanced around premium ammo. The weak spots are much stronger and can bounce premium rounds now and some tanks don't even have true weak spots like weak lower plates or gun ports on the front hull. The old tanks are suffering huge power creep because of this. Also, tier 8 used to be one of the best tiers to play in and got a lot of top tier battles but now it is completely reversed and bottom tier all the time. I just play my tier 6 and 7 premiums now if I want to earn credits or play strongholds.

Edited by n00bfarmer, Mar 16 2018 - 02:01.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users