Toxicity in Gaming - Where are YOU WG?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
135 replies to this topic

Zeedox #1 Posted Mar 25 2018 - 12:48

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 16654 battles
  • [TESTE] TESTE
"It's no secret that online games like OverwatchLeague of Legends, and many others suffer from toxic communities. From raging over sub-optimal team compositions or under-performing teammates to slinging insults steeped in racism, sexism, and homophobia, it's a problem that has plagued gaming pretty much as long as we've been connecting our computers to play with and against each other online. 

Now, more than 30 major gaming companies, including Blizzard, Riot, CCP, Twitch, Discord and Epic are teaming up to tackle the problem collectively through an organization called the Fair Play Alliance. .."

https://www.pcgamer....city-in-gaming/

Where are YOU, wg?

Lethalhavoc #2 Posted Mar 25 2018 - 12:51

Major

• Players
  • 38720 battles
WG just chat/forum bans them and then they're not toxic at all.

DieselDog79 #3 Posted Mar 25 2018 - 12:57

Captain

• Players
  • 31243 battles
oh no someone hurt my feelings online :(  grow some thick skin or turn chat off

Panzerwoody #4 Posted Mar 25 2018 - 13:02

Sergeant

• Players
  • 44315 battles
  • [ASSA] ASSA

#METOGII

Whisky_A_Go_Go #5 Posted Mar 25 2018 - 13:24

Major

• Players
  • 9940 battles

View PostDieselDog79, on Mar 25 2018 - 06:57, said:

It's that ridiculous line of thinking that started this entire issue to begin with.

Excusing bullying, insults, racism, homophobia by simply saying "grow a thicker skin" is usually the hallmark of a bully who does it. After all, how on earth can anybody excuse that kind of behavior by anybody else unless of course they enjoy taking part in it?

It's like saying, "Gun violence. Meh. Grow a thicker skin, bury your child and go buy a gun."

Panzerwoody #6 Posted Mar 25 2018 - 13:42

Sergeant

• Players
  • 44315 battles
  • [ASSA] ASSA

View PostWhisky_A_Go_Go, on Mar 25 2018 - 12:24, said:

It's that ridiculous line of thinking that started this entire issue to begin with.

Excusing bullying, insults, racism, homophobia by simply saying "grow a thicker skin" is usually the hallmark of a bully who does it. After all, how on earth can anybody excuse that kind of behavior by anybody else unless of course they enjoy taking part in it?

It's like saying, "Gun violence. Meh. Grow a thicker skin, bury your child and go buy a gun."

No. Nothing like that.

Knagar #7 Posted Mar 25 2018 - 13:45

Captain

• Players
  • 20321 battles

View PostZeedox, on Mar 25 2018 - 06:48, said:

"It's no secret that online games like OverwatchLeague of Legends, and many others suffer from toxic communities.

Go Away. Take your sad and hurt feelings and find some other safe space. This is the internet, if some salty language bothers you, then this is REALLY not the place for you.

WG has more than enough measures in place to keep your feelings safe. They have a curse filter, the ability to turn chat off, the ability to block users and messages.

It's time you kids grow up, tuck in your skirt, and learn how to deal with things in a manner other than cry to someone that somebody called you a bad word.

More companies need to stop listening to the snowflakes, maybe actively start banning them for crying so much. If it's not a threat of physical harm, then ignore it.

And for people who think my way of thinking is the problem, well I'm sorry, but it's not. People aren't here to keep your feelings safe, we're not here to coddle you. Kids now days get more than enough of that in places where they should be learning to be adults and deal with things in an adult way. Instead they cry, when they cry, things happen. So they learn that if they keep crying more and more things happen. Then we start this vicious cycle of every time someone doesn't like something, they cry, and it gets changed. That's a slippery slope the start going down because it has no end. It will get to the point where just posting on the forums about what a good day you had will hurt someone's feelings, be classed as racist, or any other asinine thing the snowflakes can think of.

Weapon_of_Proliferation #8 Posted Mar 25 2018 - 13:52

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 25384 battles

Toxic players have been stopped in their tracks by taking away all-chat.

Without all-chat, all toxic players were instantly silenced.

Get with the program.

Whisky_A_Go_Go #9 Posted Mar 25 2018 - 13:53

Major

• Players
  • 9940 battles

View PostKnagar, on Mar 25 2018 - 07:45, said:

Go Away. Take your sad and hurt feelings and find some other safe space. This is the internet, if some salty language bothers you, then this is REALLY not the place for you.

Actually, according to all those massive companies, it's YOU that they aren't catering to anymore. It's YOU that the internet is no longer made for.

Qualm #10 Posted Mar 25 2018 - 13:53

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 18049 battles
Fair Play Alliance?  You mean, the brief perception of doing something about an issue which is guaranteed to get media attention periodically, but that doesn't require any significant commitment of resources on the part of member companies?  Oh yeah, that'll make a difference.

mohawkdriver #11 Posted Mar 25 2018 - 13:55

Captain

• Players
  • 20760 battles
  • [_RTF_] _RTF_
Inb4lock

Kliphie #12 Posted Mar 25 2018 - 13:55

Major

• Players
  • 30455 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View PostWhisky_A_Go_Go, on Mar 25 2018 - 07:53, said:

Actually, according to all those massive companies, it's YOU that they aren't catering to anymore. It's YOU that the internet is no longer made for.

Then the free market will decide if they made the correct business choice.  

Whisky_A_Go_Go #13 Posted Mar 25 2018 - 14:03

Major

• Players
  • 9940 battles

View PostKliphie, on Mar 25 2018 - 07:55, said:

Then the free market will decide if they made the correct business choice.  

Actually, it's the criminal justice system and the legal system that is doing that for them.

GenPanzer #14 Posted Mar 25 2018 - 14:05

Major

• Players
  • 39345 battles

View PostDieselDog79, on Mar 25 2018 - 06:57, said:

Oh no, not everyone is the same, mentally.

View PostKnagar, on Mar 25 2018 - 07:45, said:

WG has more than enough measures in place to keep your feelings safe. They have a curse filter, the ability to turn chat off, the ability to block users and messages.

It's time you kids grow up, tuck in your skirt, and learn how to deal with things in a manner other than cry to someone that somebody called you a bad word.

More companies need to stop listening to the snowflakes, maybe actively start banning them for crying so much. If it's not a threat of physical harm, then ignore it.

And for people who think my way of thinking is the problem, well I'm sorry, but it's not. People aren't here to keep your feelings safe, we're not here to coddle you. Kids now days get more than enough of that in places where they should be learning to be adults and deal with things in an adult way. Instead they cry, when they cry, things happen. So they learn that if they keep crying more and more things happen. Then we start this vicious cycle of every time someone doesn't like something, they cry, and it gets changed. That's a slippery slope the start going down because it has no end. It will get to the point where just posting on the forums about what a good day you had will hurt someone's feelings, be classed as racist, or any other asinine thing the snowflakes can think of.

While I agree to a point. You have to ask yourself if it's too much to ask everyone to act cordial and polite. You say the cry babies need to find a safer place. Well maybe, just maybe the bullies, the racists, the rude, the mean, and the downright inhuman need to go find their rightful place. Why can't the shoe be on the other foot?

I don't think anyone wants everyone to treat them like a flower. I don't think anyone would be butthurt if someone told them they suck at the game. I don't think these complaints are because someone told them to uninstall. I think these issues are a few pegs higher on your asinine scale.

Remember what your parents used to say? If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. This way nobody gets hurt.

FluffyBadBad #15 Posted Mar 25 2018 - 14:07

Captain

• Players
  • 28542 battles

if it bothers you that much turn chat off.

forums are patrolled rather heavily. you can test it if you like.

LeaveIT2Beaver #16 Posted Mar 25 2018 - 14:11

Major

• -Players-
  • 31341 battles
  • [J4F] J4F

View PostF0R_M07H3R_RU5514, on Mar 25 2018 - 07:36, said:

Candidly: I don't get it.  Paste eaters, window lickers, and borderline zombies can consistently platoon at tier 10, but somehow folks who actively call them out for incompetence are the ones with the problem?  They deserve to be trolled mercilessly.  

Speaking of toxicity :sceptic:   

How most internet bigmouths look

Edited by LeaveIT2Beaver, Mar 25 2018 - 14:21.

Kliphie #17 Posted Mar 25 2018 - 14:14

Major

• Players
  • 30455 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View PostWhisky_A_Go_Go, on Mar 25 2018 - 08:03, said:

Actually, it's the criminal justice system and the legal system that is doing that for them.

​Citation?

Guido1212 #18 Posted Mar 25 2018 - 14:14

Major

• Players
  • 76670 battles
  • [CARTL] CARTL
In my experience things with titles like "Fair Play Alliance" made up of large companies that control the majority of some service or industry provide the exact opposite of what they say they want.

ldiot #19 Posted Mar 25 2018 - 14:29

Corporal

• Players
  • 668 battles

View PostF0R_M07H3R_RU5514, on Mar 25 2018 - 12:36, said:

Candidly: I don't get it.  Paste eaters, window lickers, and borderline zombies can consistently platoon at tier 10, but somehow folks who actively call them out for incompetence are the ones with the problem?  They deserve to be trolled mercilessly.  

Its quite apparent you don't get it..but I ask you. What good does it do for someone who is obviously pretty good at the game to berate someone who makes a mistake while trying to get better?

Not that you really care, but I actually had a good bit of respect for you until I read how you feel about things.. now I don't have any respect for you nor those who you associate yourself with.. that would be your clan.. because they must be just like you.. not that you or they care.. its quite obvious you don't. 

Besides, paste doesn't taste all that bad.

Boxhawk #20 Posted Mar 25 2018 - 14:31

Major

• Players
  • 29345 battles

View PostWhisky_A_Go_Go, on Mar 25 2018 - 07:24, said:

Except it is not like that at all.  Nice false equivalence though, the hallmark of a shallow thinker.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users