Jump to content


Toxicity in Gaming - Where are YOU WG?


  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
135 replies to this topic

WaywardChild #21 Posted Mar 25 2018 - 14:32

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 31867 battles
  • 717
  • [_RUF_] _RUF_
  • Member since:
    11-27-2013
I always think it's funny how the people that scream "I have the right to my opinion" are usually the first one to scream out their unrequested opinion and then scream louder that you don't have the right to your opinion in response to the screamed opinion that they blurted out in the first place. I know that was one big, long sentence but hey, it's the internet not English Class.  

Smoked_Maple_Bacon #22 Posted Mar 25 2018 - 14:40

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 14214 battles
  • 133
  • Member since:
    05-10-2012


WaywardChild #23 Posted Mar 25 2018 - 14:46

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 31867 battles
  • 717
  • [_RUF_] _RUF_
  • Member since:
    11-27-2013

View Postldiot, on Mar 25 2018 - 05:29, said:

 

Its quite apparent you don't get it..but I ask you. What good does it do for someone who is obviously pretty good at the game to berate someone who makes a mistake while trying to get better?

 

Not that you really care, but I actually had a good bit of respect for you until I read how you feel about things.. now I don't have any respect for you nor those who you associate yourself with.. that would be your clan.. because they must be just like you.. not that you or they care.. its quite obvious you don't. 

 

Besides, paste doesn't taste all that bad.

 

 

 

 

​Alt. account much? I don't get it and I'm starting to call People out on it. Lets see, <700 games and <10 posts yet you "Had a good bit of respect" for this other player. Then you attack that Players Clan. In a Forum Thread related to "Toxicity" isn't that hypocritical? And if this is an "Alt. Account" your posting on, why are you hiding? It's the Internet, who really cares who you are and what you say? I'm here for entertainment and interaction, nothing more. If it isn't either, I turn it off. 

Whisky_A_Go_Go #24 Posted Mar 25 2018 - 14:51

    Major

  • Players
  • 9940 battles
  • 2,170
  • Member since:
    12-24-2011

View PostKliphie, on Mar 25 2018 - 08:14, said:

 

 ​Citation?

 

There are already a host of wrongful death lawsuits and criminal charges ongoing. Google it. Quit being lazy.

 

What's more, several laws against bullying have been passed. There is a 13 year old that was handcuffed and jailed and is facing 3 felony charges for threats he made on the internet where I live. A girl was jailed a couple of months ago for telling someone to kill themselves.

 

It is, at present, against the law to do in public what is done every day on the internet. The only reason people do it on the internet is they THINK they can get away with it.

 

Up until recently, they were right. But more and more the hammer is coming down and it's coming down hard.

 

So keep up your behavior any way you wish. If you get a knock on the door one day and get carted off to jail, remember this conversation.



Kliphie #25 Posted Mar 25 2018 - 14:54

    Major

  • Players
  • 30516 battles
  • 3,029
  • [IOC] IOC
  • Member since:
    07-20-2012

View PostWhisky_A_Go_Go, on Mar 25 2018 - 08:51, said:

 

There are already a host of wrongful death lawsuits and criminal charges ongoing. Google it. Quit being lazy.

 

What's more, several laws against bullying have been passed. There is a 13 year old that was handcuffed and jailed and is facing 3 felony charges for threats he made on the internet where I live. A girl was jailed a couple of months ago for telling someone to kill themselves.

 

It is, at present, against the law to do in public what is done every day on the internet. The only reason people do it on the internet is they THINK they can get away with it.

 

Up until recently, they were right. But more and more the hammer is coming down and it's coming down hard.

 

So keep up your behavior any way you wish. If you get a knock on the door one day and get carted off to jail, remember this conversation.

 

What does any of that have to do with a publishers responsibility for toxicity in their products?  

gunsnob #26 Posted Mar 25 2018 - 14:56

    Corporal

  • -Players-
  • 2414 battles
  • 19
  • [I-131] I-131
  • Member since:
    09-13-2013
I love this game... I try to say good luck before every match and say something cheeky and funny to get the team ready... or to at least respond likewise.  There are the usual trolling guys who call me noob and to quit and send me hate mail.  I think it is funny.  Anyway, the pc is 1000% more immersive and intense than console...  

dnaman #27 Posted Mar 25 2018 - 15:00

    Captain

  • Players
  • 29838 battles
  • 1,282
  • [_EOS_] _EOS_
  • Member since:
    06-09-2013

Unless they are threatening you, deal with it.  In the US, we have this little thing called the First Amendment.  It is there for a darn good reason. When government or anyone else starts deciding what is acceptable speech and what is not, we lose our rights.  Remember that the political power swings both ways.  Guaranteed rights matter.  

 

Now if people are shooting you in game from your side, then WG should do something about that.



Bogart1943 #28 Posted Mar 25 2018 - 15:07

    Major

  • Players
  • 29740 battles
  • 2,037
  • [DHO6] DHO6
  • Member since:
    07-05-2013

View PostWhisky_A_Go_Go, on Mar 25 2018 - 04:53, said:

 

Actually, according to all those massive companies, it's YOU that they aren't catering to anymore. It's YOU that the internet is no longer made for.

 

View PostWhisky_A_Go_Go, on Mar 25 2018 - 05:03, said:

 

Actually, it's the criminal justice system and the legal system that is doing that for them.

 

​Have you actually stopped and looked around to see the cesspool society has become?  A cesspool that you helped create?  It has become quite a joke, including the criminal justice system. O.J., Kate Steinle, justice?  Not in my world.

 

Censorship and the destruction of the nuclear family, it's a "brave" new world...  Not.

 

Definition of a Nuclear Family. By Melissa Mayntz. The traditional definition of a nuclear family is a family unit that includes two married parents of opposite genders and their biological or adopted children living in the same residence.

 

Oh dear, I just realized that I had an opinion that might have offended someone, somewhere, somehow.

​Llamas in the lobby for the offended.



Mikosah #29 Posted Mar 25 2018 - 15:10

    Major

  • Players
  • 17582 battles
  • 3,919
  • Member since:
    01-24-2013

View PostWhisky_A_Go_Go, on Mar 25 2018 - 06:24, said:

 

It's that ridiculous line of thinking that started this entire issue to begin with.

 

Excusing bullying, insults, racism, homophobia by simply saying "grow a thicker skin" is usually the hallmark of a bully who does it. After all, how on earth can anybody excuse that kind of behavior by anybody else unless of course they enjoy taking part in it?

 

It's like saying, "Gun violence. Meh. Grow a thicker skin, bury your child and go buy a gun."

 

Where is this melodrama coming from? Not so long ago the smack-talk was regarded as part of the gaming experience, and not just in videogames either. Friends called eachother mean names and it was mutually understood that no real harm was intended even if the language itself was outright vicious. Moreover, even if you were playing against someone you had never met and didn't like, it was mutually understood that even if you wanted to cause eachother real harm, there was no practical way to actually do it. The worst that was ever going to happen was that you traded insults online. And so the smack-talk was one of the more lively and fun parts of gaming, so long as you understood the following to be true: "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me."

 

Tragically, that ancient wisdom has been forgotten. And now suddenly all these giants of the industry are bending over backwards for a new breed of autistic children who take everything literally and think that they're constantly under attack. But I'd say its actually a step further than that, all these flippant and frivolous accusations of racism, homophobia, et cetera have gotten the paranoid control-freaks to think: "REEEEEEEE we're ALL under attack! We need to protect everyone at all times from hurt feelings! REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"



FrozenKemp #30 Posted Mar 25 2018 - 15:13

    Major

  • Players
  • 47407 battles
  • 7,503
  • Member since:
    04-24-2011

View PostMikosah, on Mar 25 2018 - 09:10, said:

Where is this melodrama coming from? Not so long ago the smack-talk was regarded as part of the gaming experience, and not just in videogames either. Friends called eachother mean names and it was mutually understood that no real harm was intended even if the language itself was outright vicious. Moreover, even if you were playing against someone you had never met and didn't like, it was mutually understood that even if you wanted to cause eachother real harm, there was no practical way to actually do it. The worst that was ever going to happen was that you traded insults online. And so the smack-talk was one of the more lively and fun parts of gaming, so long as you understood the following to be true: "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me."

 

Tragically, that ancient wisdom has been forgotten. And now suddenly all these giants of the industry are bending over backwards for a new breed of autistic children who take everything literally and think that they're constantly under attack. But I'd say its actually a step further than that, all these flippant and frivolous accusations of racism, homophobia, et cetera have gotten the paranoid control-freaks to think: "REEEEEEEE we're ALL under attack! We need to protect everyone at all times from hurt feelings! REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

 

Well, in between those two things there has been quite a bit of doxxing, death threats, and SWATting, so maybe the problem isn't with the companies. 

Edited by FrozenKemp, Mar 25 2018 - 15:13.


Mustang2209 #31 Posted Mar 25 2018 - 15:20

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 23486 battles
  • 326
  • [HARM] HARM
  • Member since:
    11-25-2013

View PostDieselDog79, on Mar 25 2018 - 12:57, said:

oh no someone hurt my feelings online :(  grow some thick skin or turn chat off

 

^^^^^^^This...turn off chat if you don't like the noise...  If I'm getting trolled, I BL them and report.  Move on....

Gothraul #32 Posted Mar 25 2018 - 15:21

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 2044 battles
  • 4,715
  • Member since:
    11-17-2014
This is only a bandaid solution as the problems are much deeper, some of it has to do with the games where you know no choice but to depend on other players and the other is that people got loads and loads of problems on their own. Handing out bans like they are halloween candy doesn't fix the games nor fix the people and these game companies can do a lot better.

Numerius_Titurius_Sophus #33 Posted Mar 25 2018 - 15:22

    Captain

  • -Players-
  • 12156 battles
  • 1,248
  • Member since:
    05-07-2015

All I want from WG is 2 things.

 

An option to automatically blacklist any non friend who sends you a PM and delete the PM without it being shown.  

 

An option to automatically blacklist anyone who pings the map or chats more than 3 times in 30 seconds.

 

I would then be happy  :)


Edited by Numerius_Titurius_Sophus, Mar 25 2018 - 15:25.


Kliphie #34 Posted Mar 25 2018 - 15:26

    Major

  • Players
  • 30516 battles
  • 3,029
  • [IOC] IOC
  • Member since:
    07-20-2012

View PostNumerius_Titurius_Sophus, on Mar 25 2018 - 09:22, said:

An option to automatically blacklist any non friend who sends you a PM and delete the PM without it being shown.  

 

 

What if that PM was congratulations or thanks?  I mean I know that's extremely rare, but it does happen.  

Numerius_Titurius_Sophus #35 Posted Mar 25 2018 - 15:29

    Captain

  • -Players-
  • 12156 battles
  • 1,248
  • Member since:
    05-07-2015

View PostKliphie, on Mar 25 2018 - 15:26, said:

 

What if that PM was congratulations or thanks?  I mean I know that's extremely rare, but it does happen.  

 

HAHAHAHA.  You're funny.

 

The rare occurrence is not worth the hassle.  There is an option to not allow people to send you PMs that are not on your friends list...but I want the automatically blacklist them as well. :)

 

I have seen and been apart of toxic communities, but WOT is the worst I have experienced.  I have never seen a community so incapable of reading and understanding...(i.e. stupid), so incapable of empathy, so elitist as this one.


Edited by Numerius_Titurius_Sophus, Mar 25 2018 - 15:32.


Striker_70 #36 Posted Mar 25 2018 - 15:32

    Major

  • Players
  • 19607 battles
  • 6,426
  • Member since:
    04-02-2013

View PostWhisky_A_Go_Go, on Mar 25 2018 - 06:24, said:

 

It's that ridiculous line of thinking that started this entire issue to begin with.

 

Excusing bullying, insults, racism, homophobia by simply saying "grow a thicker skin" is usually the hallmark of a bully who does it. After all, how on earth can anybody excuse that kind of behavior by anybody else unless of course they enjoy taking part in it?

 

It's like saying, "Gun violence. Meh. Grow a thicker skin, bury your child and go buy a gun."

 

I don't believe toxic chat is good or should be perpetrated, but I think you've gone a bit off the deep end.  Some actually do choose to protect themselves from words.  Just as some actually do choose to protect their families with guns.

 

When chat is involved in competitive games there will be toxicity involved.  It's inevitable.  It will be directed at you at some point.  At the same time, there's nothing that says you have to choose to be its victim.

 

Some people choose to fight back with their own words.  That's just debate.  If someone is attacking you with words, then you do have the choice to retaliate.  You also have the choice to ignore it.  But why choose to become a victim?

 

 The victim mentality itself is just about as bad as the mentality that you should go around attacking people.  Neither are productive.  Neither do anyone any favors.  And neither should be deemed acceptable.

 



Kliphie #37 Posted Mar 25 2018 - 15:32

    Major

  • Players
  • 30516 battles
  • 3,029
  • [IOC] IOC
  • Member since:
    07-20-2012

View PostNumerius_Titurius_Sophus, on Mar 25 2018 - 09:29, said:

 

HAHAHAHA.  You're funny.

 

The rare occurrence is not worth the hassle.  There is an option to not allow people to send you PMs that are not on your friends list...but I want the automatically blacklist them as well. :)

 

Good point.  Clicking on that little X is quite taxing :bajan:

Numerius_Titurius_Sophus #38 Posted Mar 25 2018 - 15:34

    Captain

  • -Players-
  • 12156 battles
  • 1,248
  • Member since:
    05-07-2015

View PostKliphie, on Mar 25 2018 - 15:32, said:

 

Good point.  Clicking on that little X is quite taxing :bajan:

 

I want them to know the message didn't get through and piss em off (which can be done with options now) and I want to know who they are for future 'communication' on the battlefield.

Kliphie #39 Posted Mar 25 2018 - 15:38

    Major

  • Players
  • 30516 battles
  • 3,029
  • [IOC] IOC
  • Member since:
    07-20-2012

View PostNumerius_Titurius_Sophus, on Mar 25 2018 - 09:34, said:

 

I want them to know the message didn't get through and piss em off (which can be done with options now) and I want to know who they are for future 'communication' on the battlefield.

 

 Schadenfreude is a heck of a drug, I guess.  

R_Razor #40 Posted Mar 25 2018 - 15:39

    Captain

  • Players
  • 8042 battles
  • 1,686
  • [_DDM] _DDM
  • Member since:
    08-20-2013

View PostNumerius_Titurius_Sophus, on Mar 25 2018 - 09:34, said:

 

I want them to know the message didn't get through and piss em off (which can be done with options now) and I want to know who they are for future 'communication' on the battlefield.

 

So you want to be a part of the problem and spread more hate and discontent? Typical of the kind I must say. 




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users