• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

Ta_Hun_Kwai #21 Posted Mar 27 2018 - 00:05

Captain

• -Players-
  • 15975 battles
  • [PLAA] PLAA

View Post__WarChild__, on Mar 26 2018 - 12:43, said:

1) Who truthfully intends on buying a Tog II* and, if so, why?

2) Is a Tog II* even remotely competitive?

- If it is competitive, then how should it be used?

3) Anything else that would educate me on the Tog II*

you answered yourself

1)collectors historens and people wanting to lol

2)no it's not competitive

3)the tanks is just for lols and wow factor like the Pz.II.J, Type 59 or 59-Patton

FrozenKemp #22 Posted Mar 27 2018 - 00:05

Major

• Players
  • 50739 battles

The TOG is a very silly tank but as others have pointed out its not completely useless.  I should try sidescraping in mine... Does one do that in reverse?

It also trains a LOT of crew so it is handy to have two other British heavies to pull guys from. 

Edit: I bought mine in October and use it to train my crews along with... My two other British premium heavies.  I don't actually regret the purchase. 

__WarChild__ #23 Posted Mar 27 2018 - 02:19

Major

• -Players-
  • 26907 battles

View PostFrozenKemp, on Mar 26 2018 - 17:05, said:

The TOG is a very silly tank but as others have pointed out its not completely useless.  I should try sidescraping in mine... Does one do that in reverse?

It also trains a LOT of crew so it is handy to have two other British heavies to pull guys from. 

Edit: I bought mine in October and use it to train my crews along with... My two other British premium heavies.  I don't actually regret the purchase. 

Crew Training might be its only redeeming quality to me.  The Excelsior sucks so bad as a tank, it hurts me to have to take it out.  Bought it when it was 1/2 off but even that was a ripoff to me.  Thx

FrozenKemp #24 Posted Mar 27 2018 - 03:37

Major

• Players
  • 50739 battles

View Post__WarChild__, on Mar 26 2018 - 20:19, said:

Crew Training might be its only redeeming quality to me.  The Excelsior sucks so bad as a tank, it hurts me to have to take it out.  Bought it when it was 1/2 off but even that was a ripoff to me.  Thx

Honestly, if that's the case I'd just save your money and put it towards... well, the FV201 or the Caernarvon Action X if that ever becomes available, I guess.  I mean, the TOG is much slower than the Matilda BP

Edited by FrozenKemp, Mar 27 2018 - 03:37.

_Tsavo_ #25 Posted Mar 27 2018 - 03:41

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 44469 battles
  • [BRVE] BRVE

The TOG II has a solid gun, solid DPM, and a large chunk of HP for the tier it is in.

However, all of that cannot be brought to bear in such a way as to dictate the pace of combat.  In this game, you are either acting or reacting.  It is best to act and make the enemy react to you.  If you're reacting, you're already on the back foot.  In the TOG II, you are not acting, you are always reacting.  The TOG II is a net negative to the team it is on.  It is too slow to flex or challenge for map control during the early and crucial moments of a game, making it a heavily team reliant vehicle.  Being teams are composed of players, most of whom aren't that grand, a team reliant vehicle is not a good thing.

As such, I never take mine into battle except for the very rare "Because lol" platoon.

the_dude_76 #26 Posted Mar 27 2018 - 16:01

Major

• Players
  • 33105 battles
  • [GSRM] GSRM

View Post__WarChild__, on Mar 26 2018 - 22:03, said:

Personally, I have seen this 3 or 4 times and it has never worked (for the win). But the 3 doing it have a blast.

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that it was a winning strategy. Being focused by every tank on the other team, especially arty who will move out into the open for a chance at a three TOG platoon, they don't last long. But woe be to those few tanks who get in their way, lol!

Block Quote

The Excelsior sucks so bad as a tank, it hurts me to have to take it out.

Really?? I kind of like mine. It's basically a T14 with better gold ammo. And with pref MM I rarely struggle in it.

Edited by the_dude_76, Mar 27 2018 - 16:04.

__WarChild__ #27 Posted Mar 27 2018 - 18:20

Major

• -Players-
  • 26907 battles

View Postthe_dude_76, on Mar 27 2018 - 09:01, said:

Really?? I kind of like mine. It's basically a T14 with better gold ammo. And with pref MM I rarely struggle in it.

I do much better in my T14 and Church III than the Excelsior.  I don't seem to bounce as many shots in the Exc.  Could just be me. Probably is just me.  Okay, it's all me.

*I have NEVER contemplated getting the Tog, even when I earned it for free in this last Tank Rewards (went for the Gold instead).  Even if I was given one for free, it is unlikely I would play it more than 2-3 times total.  Slow moving destruction is not my idea of good LOLs 

;)

THANKS AGAIN to everyone who's responded.  I've enjoyed reading this thread.  Have a great rest of the week.

YANKEE137 #28 Posted Mar 27 2018 - 18:45

Major

• -Players-
  • 12660 battles
  • [6-ACR] 6-ACR
TOG in randoms is like a cow trying to swim with Piranhas .

FrozenKemp #29 Posted Mar 28 2018 - 02:13

Major

• Players
  • 50739 battles

Thrill-a-minute TOG II* action in Paris!

The following does not represent optimal performance. High speed maneuvers not included.

Vehicles destroyed:

M6 (614 dmg), Pz IV (finished off), O-I (finished off)

http://wotreplays.eu/site/4259060#paris-frozenkemp-tog_ii

Cravus #30 Posted Mar 30 2018 - 22:33

Corporal

• Players
  • 9408 battles
  • [-KWH-] -KWH-

I like to play "The last farewell" by Roger Whittaker and regal the team about how the British Navy is here to save them.

Then I charge forward at a dignified pace and eventually get focused by every enemy in range.

My personal belief is that I take the reds attention away from my team long enough for a random group of Allies to win the match...

Or, I just do it for lulz...

Gang_Starr #31 Posted Mar 30 2018 - 22:35

Major

• Players
  • 15957 battles
it's a meme, that is its only purpose.

LovePrevails #32 Posted Mar 31 2018 - 00:51

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 8387 battles

Statistically, average players tend to do alright in this tank. It is actually slightly over performing at low-to-average skill levels.

EU win curves:

Spoiler

NA win curves:

Spoiler

RU win curves:

Spoiler

The TOG II is essentially playable but painful.

Map awareness and tactical projections can compensate for the lack of mobility, so that's not a problem. The armor profile isn't very good but as with most tanks it can still bounce the odd shot if you side scrape. HP works. Firepower is good - the DPM serves it well in close combat but it also has the accuracy and shell velocity for long range shooting - the gun handling and low movement speed are actually quite synergistic and allow the TOG II to fire on the move somewhat reliably.

The real issue is arta. The TOG II is simply irresistible as a target and any fun it might have provided is quickly lost to perma-stun and the rapid depletion of its hit point pool.

sleeper_agent #33 Posted Apr 12 2018 - 14:46

Major

• -Players-
  • 25932 battles

When I see a TOG II on the battlefield, I think of a free meal...like street meat.

It almost seems sad to see them slinking along seemingly begging to be ground down to ash without a whimper of objection.

I really dont know what purpose they serve.

Frostblitz20 #34 Posted Apr 12 2018 - 22:09

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 3344 battles
  • [VAHLA] VAHLA
Going to sound really dumb but if I know I’m going to die due to arty is wearing me down and I’m at a key spot with teammates I turn my take to make a good wall for my team to take cover behind before I die.

sleeper_agent #35 Posted Apr 13 2018 - 15:00

Major

• -Players-
  • 25932 battles

View PostFrostblitz20, on Apr 12 2018 - 16:09, said:

Going to sound really dumb but if I know I’m going to die due to arty is wearing me down and I’m at a key spot with teammates I turn my take to make a good wall for my team to take cover behind before I die.

I have seen TOGs create a barrier wall on Fjords south heavy fight path near the tip. That essentially makes it a dead zone for pushing. That can wither buy your team time or allow a regroup further north at the next pass that you can defend with reinforcements.

wylleEcoyote #36 Posted May 07 2018 - 08:18

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 21656 battles
  • [ARMED] ARMED
Funny thing about the TOGII platoon meme machine...

It works with the Tiger 131 as well. 

Yes you have half the combined hp pool. But that just means your platoon has as much HP as a Maus in teir 6.
And unlike Tog you have enough mobility to bring the party wherever you want.
Mind you its Mobility you need to use because the gun doesnt really have the penetration for head to head shooting above its tier.
Yet it is enough for shooting flanks. especially when all three of you pop around a corner and double track that O-Ho.

And you get even more DPM.  with the right skills and equipment your platoon can dish out 660 avg damage every 5.5 seconds.
That translates into 33 88mm rounds a minute. 

On a good game you hear someone's 88 going off every 2 seconds.

As long as your platoon is good about focus firing, staying mobile, and constantly changing positions so that the tank with the highest HP goes first ...

ScumbagCOS #37 Posted May 29 2018 - 04:24

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 21011 battles

Take a look at this replay...

http://wotreplays.eu/site/4376786#mines-scumbagcos-tog_ii

...and that's all I have to say about that...

Edited by ScumbagCOS, May 29 2018 - 04:31.

Sventex #38 Posted May 30 2018 - 10:47

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 4479 battles

View Post__WarChild__, on Mar 26 2018 - 21:43, said:

Howdy Tankers,

I have seen Togs in game before and have watched some videos of people platooning with 3 of them.  However, it always seems to be like a joke to have 3 Togs together, etc. with people laughing and not giving the win/loss any consideration.  From my limited perspective, the Tog II* is a collector's tank and has significant historical value but gameplay is just a really good gun on a massive, slow moving footlong hotdog.

With this week's Tiger 131 & Tog II* sale starting, I have to wonder:

1) Who truthfully intends on buying a Tog II* and, if so, why?

2) Is a Tog II* even remotely competitive?

- If it is competitive, then how should it be used?

3) Anything else that would educate me on the Tog II*?

I hope my inquiries don't offend any of you Tog II* fans out there.  If I do, please feel free to curse me out in a PM and I'll take it like a man.  If you have something constructive to say or would like to provide me with your thoughts (neg or pos), I'd really appreciate those in this thread.

I hope all of you are enjoying some Happy Tanking!

Thank you.

__WarChild__

Those Togs are fantastic for letting us low tiers finish on 15th Campaign missions with those large damage requirements.

LordCorellon #39 Posted May 31 2018 - 02:23

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 6063 battles
TOGII is the line breaker. It is a shell magnet that makes the enemy burn their shots so your team mates can rush them while they are reloading. But then again, with the games Ive played lately, your team will just sit back and watch you die instead of using that lump of fat 6 inches above their shoulders and rushing the now reloading enemy

1lt_wert #40 Posted May 31 2018 - 04:55

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 29795 battles
  • [KGR] KGR

I played as support and used the DPM for best result. This is not my first Ace tanker and I already have one MOE.

Edited by 1lt_wert, May 31 2018 - 04:58.

Also tagged with Tog II

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users