Ban XVM in battle?

• Please log in to reply
208 replies to this topic

Poll: Online Petition to ban XVM? (294 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 100 battles in order to participate this poll.

Online Petition to ban XVM in battle?

1. Yes, kill it with fire (156 votes [51.83%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 51.83%

2. No, we need it (explain below) (96 votes [31.89%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 31.89%

3. indifferent (bacon) (49 votes [16.28%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.28%

Vote Hide poll

__WarChild__ #21 Posted Mar 28 2018 - 19:56

Captain

• -Players-
  • 15069 battles
  • [FGTVE] FGTVE

How can you ban it when it's a mod that someone else produces off of stats that Wargaming publishes?

I guess I would be in favor of removing it, but I like having it.  I don't like wasting time trying as hard as I do to win when the cause is hopeless.  Yes, 1 out of 100 times a hopeless game can be won, but I just don't have the time for that.  I'm glad some of you do.

QuicksilverJPR #22 Posted Mar 28 2018 - 19:57

Major

• Players
  • 24073 battles
  • [RPG] RPG

View PostBlackhorse_One_, on Mar 28 2018 - 13:56, said:

I read yesterday that it isn't anymore ... it's all automated ... no vids accepted

I read that too, yet I keep sending them in.  A couple guys on my in game list haven't played for a while, so is it chance?  Or is it still working?

Devildog8 #23 Posted Mar 28 2018 - 19:58

Major

• Players
  • 9752 battles
  • [XILES] XILES

View Post__WarChild__, on Mar 28 2018 - 12:56, said:

How can you ban it when it's a mod that someone else produces off of stats that Wargaming publishes?

I guess I would be in favor of removing it, but I like having it.  I don't like wasting time trying as hard as I do to win when the cause is hopeless.  Yes, 1 out of 100 times a hopeless game can be won, but I just don't have the time for that.  I'm glad some of you do.

I think your more making their point then arguing it bud 

dominator_98 #24 Posted Mar 28 2018 - 19:58

Major

• -Players-
  • 18734 battles
  • [NUFFS] NUFFS

View PostDa_Vinci, on Mar 28 2018 - 12:42, said:

I use it to forecast how much I have to tryhard to win a game.

I enjoy having people who are new or not very great at the game - it just means I can get away with more things, and kill more tanks.

If you are truly a good player, xvm targeting will not affect you significantly. All the good players I know or I've fought were really good at avoiding shots and focusing.

If you don't like using xvm, just uninstall it. It's an optional feature.

1. You should be tryharding every game, whether you're going for stats, MoE, or just grinding xp/credits.

2. Streamers like Foch and Circon seem to get artied about twice as much as I do. They still do well, but I can't help thinking they'd do better without getting focused because of a third-party mod.

3. Personally not using XVM doesn't mean it won't affect me. The Lorraine that drowned himself because of XVM cost me a win when we lost to two 1-shot tanks. Every time I get shot by arty instead of the easier-to-hit target affects my gameplay.

XVM stats are not an "optional feature." The toxicity they cause in the team chat caused me to turn it off, and the drowning/focusing occurs regardless of whether or not I'm using XVM.

LoneEagleFive #25 Posted Mar 28 2018 - 19:58

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 4493 battles

PRO (and basically the only reason I use XVM, but haven't got it since the last patch):

When some tool starts raging at the team for being bad, at you for being bad, and being a jerk in general, it's nice to know immediately if he is a sub 50% win rate fool so you can point out that he does not, in fact, know what he's doing, and he should probably shut up and start taking notes.

QuicksilverJPR #26 Posted Mar 28 2018 - 19:59

Major

• Players
  • 24073 battles
  • [RPG] RPG

View Post__WarChild__, on Mar 28 2018 - 13:56, said:

My personality does not allow me to (naturally, anyway) just give up.  I can enter an altered state with some fine bourbon and not give a damn, however...  :teethhappy:

RNG_is_Magic #27 Posted Mar 28 2018 - 19:59

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 10553 battles
  • [HSOLO] HSOLO
You need to make it so people can vote for more then 1 option.  The obvious answer is bacon so you are unable to vote yes or no.

dominator_98 #28 Posted Mar 28 2018 - 20:00

Major

• -Players-
  • 18734 battles
  • [NUFFS] NUFFS

View PostBlackhorse_One_, on Mar 28 2018 - 12:52, said:

Higher-stat players telling lower-stat players to "scout" for the higher-stat player under the premise that such scouting is being done "for the team"

Pushing lower-stat players out of "my position"

False bot reporting

The first two happen regardless of stats, and the third doesn't matter because WG doesn't ban bots.

__WarChild__ #29 Posted Mar 28 2018 - 20:00

Captain

• -Players-
  • 15069 battles
  • [FGTVE] FGTVE

View PostMacDaddyMatty, on Mar 28 2018 - 12:33, said:

JUST re-did the poll and title to better reflect after some feedback.

Reset votes.

Lots of passion on this topic.

I don't use it, but I feel its effects when some twit says "Well we lose" at the start of the match.

Pros:

- Can show you who to follow and who not to follow in a match by indicating the players WN8.

- That's all I can think of. Add more and I will edit this portion.

Cons:

- Causes "XVM sniping"

- Causes player dissatisfaction when they are on the team with more "tomatoes" and less "Smurfs" on their team.

- Add more and I will edit this portion.

So...

Should we start an online petition to get WG to ban XVM?

Don't forget it promotes TK'ing your team's purple light tank that is camping the back line on Prohovrovka (sp?) or Fiery Salient!  :playing:

Hold on, did I just say that out loud?  :deer:

PS - Shooting HE does NOT prevent the 1 Hour Ban...or so I've heard :confused:

BattlecryGWJ #30 Posted Mar 28 2018 - 20:00

Major

• Players
  • 34740 battles
  • [RSRDD] RSRDD

*shrug*

I pretty much look at it like this: XVM is pretty meaningless.  People who give up at the start of a match because XVM says they have a low chance to win were generally looking for a reason to not play a match and would probably find some other reason (we're on the wrong side of this imbalanced map, they've got more heavies, they've got more mediums, they've got more OP tanks), so getting rid of XVM probably won't effect that much.  Similarly with griefing players, XVM is merely a tool used by those who do it and if someone is going to do it, they'll justify it through whatever they feel they need to, so again, getting rid of XVM isn't actually addressing the problem.  About the only thing I see this making a significant impact with is XVM sniping, as it is a thing, though there is certainly debate around how much of a thing it is.

For the most part it seems like XVM is merely a justification for players behavior rather than the actual cause of that behavior, so getting rid of XVM won't get rid of the behavior.

Blackhorse_One_ #31 Posted Mar 28 2018 - 20:01

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 2095 battles
  • [HHT] HHT

View Postdominator_98, on Mar 28 2018 - 14:00, said:

The first two happen regardless of stats, and the third doesn't matter because WG doesn't ban bots.

That doesn't invalidate the point

dominator_98 #32 Posted Mar 28 2018 - 20:01

Major

• -Players-
  • 18734 battles
  • [NUFFS] NUFFS

View Post__WarChild__, on Mar 28 2018 - 12:56, said:

You make it sound like you suicide in a bad matchup instead of trying to do your best anyways. This attitude is exactly why XVM should be removed.

Devildog8 #33 Posted Mar 28 2018 - 20:02

Major

• Players
  • 9752 battles
  • [XILES] XILES

View PostBattlecryGWJ, on Mar 28 2018 - 13:00, said:

*shrug*

I pretty much look at it like this: XVM is pretty meaningless.  People who give up at the start of a match because XVM says they have a low chance to win were generally looking for a reason to not play a match and would probably find some other reason (we're on the wrong side of this imbalanced map, they've got more heavies, they've got more mediums, they've got more OP tanks), so getting rid of XVM probably won't effect that much.  Similarly with griefing players, XVM is merely a tool used by those who do it and if someone is going to do it, they'll justify it through whatever they feel they need to, so again, getting rid of XVM isn't actually addressing the problem.  About the only thing I see this making a significant impact with is XVM sniping, as it is a thing, though there is certainly debate around how much of a thing it is.

For the most part it seems like XVM is merely a justification for players behavior rather than the actual cause of that behavior, so getting rid of XVM won't get rid of the behavior.

well said

the_Deadly_Bulb #34 Posted Mar 28 2018 - 20:02

Major

• Players
  • 20960 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

Blaming XVM for players giving up is pointless.

Some players will give up for no other reason than being bottom tier.

You can't fix stupid.

XVM is fine. I have no issues with it.

Fluffy_Kittens #35 Posted Mar 28 2018 - 20:06

Major

• Players
  • 42289 battles
  • [F0CUS] F0CUS

View PostFluffy_Kittens, on Mar 28 2018 - 18:55, said:

i wish WG would have a vanilla option where we can see the PR rating of our teamates,

XVM is very very handy to see who on my team are windowlickers and can not be counted upon to do anythign right.

this is especially important when driving a support vehicle. arty or a TD etc, cause if you are planning on supporting a flank, and then just watch the failtards in front of you die in an instant, i would have definitly set up somewhere else. making me a factor in the game

View PostQuicksilverJPR, on Mar 28 2018 - 18:56, said:

Yeah, but PR can be artificially inflated by number of games played (at lea.st to a point).  That makes it a bad metric right off the bat for single usage.

yeah, but all in all its what WG uses, and padding your PR ias no different than padding win8, in fact i find its easier to fluff up the win8.

the inflated PR is not much different than a non inflated one anyways.

Nunatak73 #36 Posted Mar 28 2018 - 20:07

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 10050 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

XVM is a powerful tool, and I love everything it does...except the well documented negative behaviours it causes in games.

Simply blocking the ability for XVM to display while in an active match should not be a difficult task.

The question becomes, does WG have a reason that they want it displayed during an active match?

I can't see any benefit to WG, that they wouldn't already capture for XVM stats outside of active matches.

MacDaddyMatty #37 Posted Mar 28 2018 - 20:08

Major

• -Players-
  • 22927 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

All - thanks you for the civility so far.

Good comments as well.

+1s all around.

Wow - small sample size but I expected the poll to be very lopsided.

Its neck-n-neck at the moment.

the_Deadly_Bulb #38 Posted Mar 28 2018 - 20:08

Major

• Players
  • 20960 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostNunatak73, on Mar 28 2018 - 11:07, said:

XVM is a powerful tool, and I love everything it does...except the well documented negative behaviours it causes in games.

Simply blocking the ability for XVM to display while in an active match should not be a difficult task.

The question becomes, does WG have a reason that they want it displayed during an active match?

I can't see any benefit to WG, that they wouldn't already capture for XVM stats outside of active matches.

WG has NOTHING to do with XVM.

Its a 3rd party mod.

If they blocked the API it uses then it wouldn't display stats. If they did that XVM would die entirely and then you'd have PR. Its also possible to have PR displayed in game as a mod along with WR so what would be the difference?

Funny how so many players want to wear their XVM stats like their favourite shirt, but apparently they DONT want anyone to see that shirt when the ball drops. All fine and dandy to parade your stats here and anywhere else where you wnt it knows\n, but in the game where you earned them, my oh my no, can't have that!

As to XVM sniping, do you players who bemoan XVM sniping REALLY believe everyone is running around the map looking for you? The reason you get destroyed is the same reason everyone else from tomatoes to unicorns get destroyed, you ventured out in front of an opponents gun. XVM or purple stats won't make it any more difficult to pen your tank when you make a fatal error. It had precious little to do with XVM, but if it makes you feel better go ahead and believe it.

Edited by the_Deadly_Bulb, Mar 28 2018 - 20:15.

Devildog8 #39 Posted Mar 28 2018 - 20:10

Major

• Players
  • 9752 battles
  • [XILES] XILES
Removing XVM for sure wont fix the XVM snipe issue, if ppl see others wearing a -G- tag or Mahou or Otter you think they wont try and snipe them even without XVM? Its a tactical error not to kill the best players on the other side first and as fast as you can. sorry your so good you get targeted, must suck to be good, sometimes being good at something comes with a price good or bad

Nunatak73 #40 Posted Mar 28 2018 - 20:12

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 10050 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

View Postthe_Deadly_Bulb, on Mar 28 2018 - 15:08, said:

WG has NOTHING to do with XVM.

Its a 3rd party mod.

I'm sorry, I didn't think I said they were responsible for the mod. 

But are the using it themselves for statistics, since the work has already been done and is readily available.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users