Windows Updates Break my Game

update crashing startup windows bug

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Fjords #1 Posted Apr 03 2018 - 08:40

Corporal

• Players
  • 8764 battles

Okay so at this point I'm a bit stumped and annoyed. 

I have run into this issue three times now on two different computers and it's starting to get old. Three separate occasions now, I have gone through the Windows Creator updates and had the issue where upon starting up the game after an update, my game stops working.

-I'll open up the launcher.

-Press Launch/Play.

-The world of tanks client window will start up and either be 'Not responding' or normal.

-Within two seconds of the window opening, it will close or crash without any error message or indication of issues.

The first time this happened (on my desktop), I fixed it by asking a Windows technician to rollback my windows update. The next update then rolled around a week later and everything was fine.

The second time (on my laptop), I had the same issue but didn't fix it because I was too lazy to. Eventually after a couple updates, it fixed itself.

The third time (now, on my desktop), I updated a day or two ago and opened up my WOT for the first time in about half a week. What do you know, I have that same problem. 

I don't have mods. I have tried running this as administrator and in safe mode. I've cleared the cache and data. I have tried verifying the integrity of the files. I have tried updating AND rolling back my NVidia drivers. I've restarted my computer many times. Last time I had this issue, reinstalling didn't fix it, though I'm currently trying that again right now (I should have it installed by tomorrow). I'm SOL and I wanna play some WOT.

Anyone have any answers or solutions?

rich73 #2 Posted Apr 03 2018 - 11:02

Major

• Players
  • 55645 battles
Lots of peeps having issues as well with the new update.That could add to the confusion.Some peeps are having success rolling back their vid drivers is only other thing I can think of for help  but then again ,it could be the issue you were having before.

Ed_the_Baker #3 Posted Apr 03 2018 - 11:58

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 9521 battles
have your windows tech change windows update so it won't update drivers...(there's a windows setting for that)

xXx_Dead_Zombie_xXx #4 Posted Apr 03 2018 - 14:31

Major

• Players
  • 41383 battles
  • [SUX] SUX

View PostFjords, on Apr 03 2018 - 01:40, said:

Okay so at this point I'm a bit stumped and annoyed. 

I have run into this issue three times now on two different computers and it's starting to get old. Three separate occasions now, I have gone through the Windows Creator updates and had the issue where upon starting up the game after an update, my game stops working.

-I'll open up the launcher.

-Press Launch/Play.

-The world of tanks client window will start up and either be 'Not responding' or normal.

-Within two seconds of the window opening, it will close or crash without any error message or indication of issues.

The first time this happened (on my desktop), I fixed it by asking a Windows technician to rollback my windows update. The next update then rolled around a week later and everything was fine.

The second time (on my laptop), I had the same issue but didn't fix it because I was too lazy to. Eventually after a couple updates, it fixed itself.

The third time (now, on my desktop), I updated a day or two ago and opened up my WOT for the first time in about half a week. What do you know, I have that same problem. 

I don't have mods. I have tried running this as administrator and in safe mode. I've cleared the cache and data. I have tried verifying the integrity of the files. I have tried updating AND rolling back my NVidia drivers. I've restarted my computer many times. Last time I had this issue, reinstalling didn't fix it, though I'm currently trying that again right now (I should have it installed by tomorrow). I'm SOL and I wanna play some WOT.

Anyone have any answers or solutions?

remember to delete the wargaming.net folder after u uninstall the game, and before u reinstall.. it will be in the APPdata folder which is a hidden folder.

Fjords #5 Posted Apr 03 2018 - 17:43

Corporal

• Players
  • 8764 battles

View PostKnuckle_Dragin_Drooler, on Apr 03 2018 - 05:31, said:

remember to delete the wargaming.net folder after u uninstall the game, and before u reinstall.. it will be in the APPdata folder which is a hidden folder.

okay, I'll uninstall again and make sure to do that this time.

View PostEd_the_Baker, on Apr 03 2018 - 02:58, said:

have your windows tech change windows update so it won't update drivers...(there's a windows setting for that)

thanks, I had no idea this was an option. I'll get on this.

View Postrich73, on Apr 03 2018 - 02:02, said:

Lots of peeps having issues as well with the new update.That could add to the confusion.Some peeps are having success rolling back their vid drivers is only other thing I can think of for help  but then again ,it could be the issue you were having before.

I haven't tried rolling back the video drivers individually. Do you know which versions specifically?

Fjords #6 Posted Apr 04 2018 - 16:10

Corporal

• Players
  • 8764 battles

Just an update:

I tried rolling back my driver... didn't work.

I tried reinstalling... didn't work.

Sooo

I tried rolling back like last time and apparently my files got corrupt in the process and now I'm stuck in a boot-loop that neither hardware nor software techs could fix. So tomorrow I plan to format my PC.

Duke_Nuke_Em_Cammando #7 Posted Apr 04 2018 - 16:24

Corporal

• Players
  • 7212 battles
  • [BOTZ] BOTZ

View PostFjords, on Apr 04 2018 - 15:10, said:

Just an update:

I tried rolling back my driver... didn't work.

I tried reinstalling... didn't work.

Sooo

I tried rolling back like last time and apparently my files got corrupt in the process and now I'm stuck in a boot-loop that neither hardware nor software techs could fix. So tomorrow I plan to format my PC.

lol with a shotgun right

Griffon327327 #8 Posted Apr 05 2018 - 05:35

Captain

• Players
  • 89011 battles
  • [NVRDY] NVRDY

tuned of windows update about 14 years ago ... absolutely nothing good comes from windows update this is how the make your system unstable and go out and buy the latest version of windows

they been doing this since day one and reason Microsoft is on top

only update when you have no other choice .. went from perfectly fine windows XP to windows 7 ultimate only because had no other choice

and by the way ..never once had an issue with windows 7 64 bit ever

StrachwitzPzGraf #9 Posted Apr 10 2018 - 18:27

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 41274 battles

Many -- including myself -- have had this problem.   It seems ​to be related to rel. 1709 items in Win10... if you look at your update history you will probably notice that all the updates have the "version 1709" in the string.

I had this problem late last year when this version first appeared.  I rolled back and my system (Laptop) worked fine.

Later on I applied the update with a new set of NVidia drivers and -- by pure luck -- WoT worked again.  That was 9.21, 9.22, and 1.0.0.

At no time did my desktop system have any of these issues.

The last few weeks my laptop was again updated (automagically March 23 - April 7) with 8 different Version 1709 items -- and once again I get the exact issue you describe in your initial post.   
As far as I know no amount of reinstallation, "Safe Mode", Game Bar/Mode (a Win10 thing that some think is the issue), changes in settings (on the initial WoT client screen), and or messing with video drivers will help.   At some point whatever the issue with Win10, NVidia, and WoT is gets sorted out and it all starts to work again with the Version 1709 releases.

Your frustration is shared... not that that helps much.  I'd roll things back -- but with 8 updates that could get messy.

ImaKillYou #10 Posted Apr 10 2018 - 19:53

Captain

• Players
  • 27437 battles
  • [-GENT] -GENT

Windows 10 1709 is a bane to gamers, and the way Microcrap issues updates and fixes is just asinine. There are 8+ versions of win 10 out, and if you are unlucky enough to be on 1709, you may not have the "fixed" 1709.  Some people got the fixes, some haven't yet. Check your updates for kb4048955.

I did a post about 1709 and some "fixes" back in November.  http://forum.worldof...9-breaks-games/

Best solution: roll back windows to 1703 or try to get on Insider and skip 1709.

I got lucky, and got on the Windows Insider Program, skipped ahead to 1804 and haven't had any of the problems from 1709.

Edited by ImaKillYou, Apr 10 2018 - 20:16.

Fjords #11 Posted Apr 14 2018 - 09:34

Corporal

• Players
  • 8764 battles

Hey everyone, this is my last update on the situation:

Thanks for all the help and input you guys provided. I actually formatted my PC about a week ago but only had time to come back to this now. Of course the formatting worked for solving this problem, in fact my PC runs better than ever. Shame I lost a bunch of my files in the process (was too lazy to transfer to an SSD) but hey in the end all is good. The only thing is while I waiting to format my PC, the grand extravaganza ended and I couldn't log on. Is there a way I can submit a ticket about me not getting the camo? It's a meh camo though so it's not like I really need it.

largeelvis #12 Posted Apr 16 2018 - 22:33

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 19793 battles
I have the new spring creators update. Game still worked before this latest micropatch. Kind of awesome when a x5 weekend passes with all the discounts and I cant even use my mouse after launching the game. At least WOT support is on the ball. /s

Fjords #13 Posted Apr 20 2018 - 20:09

Corporal

• Players
  • 8764 battles

View Postlargeelvis, on Apr 16 2018 - 13:33, said:

I have the new spring creators update. Game still worked before this latest micropatch. Kind of awesome when a x5 weekend passes with all the discounts and I cant even use my mouse after launching the game. At least WOT support is on the ball. /s

So yours isn't working? 

Also tagged with update, crashing, startup, windows, bug

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users