Arty Artillery

• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

KilIingblow #1 Posted Apr 03 2018 - 22:24

Private

• Players
  • 8726 battles
  • [BTPU] BTPU

First off let me say 1.0 is awesome. Love the music, love the new maps, love the physics, you almost hit this out of the park but one thing is left to adjust in my opinion....Artillery...

I just watched my son try artillery today and I was surprised at how well they can see and shoot without having to reposition during a game. Just to clarify, I have (2) sons 18, 20, and they each have their own accounts. and we have a computer room/office in our house and we can easily watch each other play the game

I want to maneuver with strategy not worry about getting triple shot from above by something I cannot see or stop. As a tanker we have to move, pivot, scrape, aim, wait, pull back, and then reposition constantly but as an artillery player you can sit still most of the game and fire without fear on all the tanks in the field. until the very end of course if you lose. This makes me stay away from artillery as much as possible.

I have several suggestions:

• Only allow the arty to see Hvy, Md, Lt, At, and tank location with a symbol.
  • Don't allow arty to shoot outside its line of sight (yellow line) and only allow artillery to target "lighted tanks" 
  • The new fire mode is way to powerful. Allow sniper mode only (arial mode).
  • Or make the arty have to close the distance if it wants to fire in the new fire mode.
  • Do not allow more than (1 or 2) arty in a game. (3) is just over the top and can be a hindrance depending on how the game rolls.
  • Have an option for arty to switch to a light or medium back-up tank on city maps. 

I have only played a small handful of artillery games. I don't mind arty but too much is too much. Something needs to be adjusted to balance the fun of the game from the tanker perspective.

Thanks for any consideration,

Steve H.

Aka: KillingBlow - an below average tanker but still has lots of fun.

Edited by KilIingblow, Jun 07 2018 - 15:37.

Gang_Starr #2 Posted Apr 03 2018 - 22:25

Major

• Players
  • 14884 battles
Needs to be removed*

gamerdavid771 #3 Posted Apr 03 2018 - 22:29

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 6294 battles
  • [T_T_B] T_T_B

stop your whining you big babies...

if you cant handle a little bit of arty why are you playing a game that has them?

switch to blitz...

many people love playing arties and it would ruin the game if WoT got rid of them...

xrays_ #4 Posted Apr 03 2018 - 22:34

Major

• Players
  • 46271 battles
  • [FELOW] FELOW

View PostKilIingblow, on Apr 03 2018 - 16:24, said:

Something needs to be adjusted to balance the fun of the game from the tanker perspective.

Why can't they balance the game to be fun for artillery players, too?

The sooner you learn to play with artillery (use your own team's artillery, stop thinking only about the enemy's tanks), the sooner you'll enjoy the game again.

x.

Zugh #5 Posted Apr 03 2018 - 22:39

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 8776 battles
  • [FKXX] FKXX
This isn't the first post about problems with arty and it won't be the last!  Although I will never love arty I've played a lot to get through missions and there are two things the OP said that I agree with: cap total arty in a game at one or two players and remove them from city maps.  I'm on a fun streak of loading into Himmelsdorf in my GW Panther, and while you can make arty work there with some difficulty it seems my team would prefer another medium instead.

Kenshin2kx #6 Posted Apr 03 2018 - 22:43

Major

• -Players-
  • 17552 battles

View Postxrays_, on Apr 03 2018 - 11:34, said:

Why can't they balance the game to be fun for artillery players, too?

<Kenshin2kx>  ... actually WG did ... from everything I can gather, WG intentionally made the targeting mode to be significantly more fun than real life artillery.  Problem with this, is that they had to introduce some real awkward compromises in the form of super gravity, dynamic top down view, contrived blindness within a LOS context and a truly awkward damage mechanism for direct hits and near misses.  So, while no vehicle in Wot is truly 'balanced' or absolutely realistic ... artillery has some fairly standout traits that raise it above the pack in terms of 'contrived' fit of a square peg into a round hole.  The shame here IMHO, is that artillery was and is an integral part of actual warfare ... I just find how WG designed it to be ... almost a recipe to create player division and degrees of alienation.

The sooner you learn to play with artillery (use your own team's artillery, stop thinking only about the enemy's tanks), the sooner you'll enjoy the game again.

x.

Edited by Kenshin2kx, Apr 03 2018 - 22:47.

The_Iron_Bullet #7 Posted Apr 03 2018 - 22:52

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 15174 battles
  • [ARKAM] ARKAM

• Don't allow arty to shoot outside its line of sight (yellow line)

I would love to see this in place.

HOTA_CHATON #8 Posted Apr 03 2018 - 22:56

Major

• Players
  • 12341 battles
  • [KOFJ] KOFJ

View PostGang_Starr, on Apr 03 2018 - 15:25, said:

Needs to be removed*

We need to remove the tiddie babies that keep whining about it needing to be removed.

wkcw1 #9 Posted Apr 03 2018 - 23:00

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 14061 battles
  • [GGNKR] GGNKR
Some maps like mines are not as arty friendly anymore. I reckon this is the way WG will deal with the arty issue in the future.

Kenshin2kx #10 Posted Apr 03 2018 - 23:08

Major

• -Players-
  • 17552 battles

View Postwkcw1, on Apr 03 2018 - 12:00, said:

Some maps like mines are not as arty friendly anymore. I reckon this is the way WG will deal with the arty issue in the future.

Hmmm ... this makes sense ... its not as intrusive as a more direct circumvention ... IIRC - Paris as another example.

Dirizon #11 Posted Apr 03 2018 - 23:11

Major

• Players
  • 27063 battles
  • [THUGZ] THUGZ

Arty needs balancing, alright. By balancing, I mean help and buffs.

l find artillery, and really what people produce in them, as insignificant and underwhelming. Against heavier superheavy vehicles, arty like M53M55, obj 261, Bat Chats arty  -  can appear very slighting, causing extremely low damage. There are times, where stun time means very little, damage needs to be dealt. And arty can’t do it. Large splashing zones also, are very likely to only cause moderate stun times, as splash ranges damage done drops off hugely against armoured tanks and their spaced armour + track belts 

Arty shells, need a general five to ten % damage buff increase, and see how that goes

Realign #12 Posted Apr 03 2018 - 23:12

Captain

• Players
  • 27851 battles
  • [RS] RS

• Only allow the arty to see Hvy, Md, Lt, At, and tank location with a symbol. Bad idea.  Arty is already very simplistic.  It needs depth and a higher skill cap.  Just clicking near emblems would be awful.
  • Don't allow arty to shoot outside its line of sight (yellow line) and only allow artillery to target "lighted tanks"  This doesn't even really make sense. 
  • The new fire mode is way to powerful. Allow sniper mode only (arial mode).  Meh.  With the removal of AP rounds, the sniper view is only useful in select situations.
  • Or make the arty have to close the distance if it wants to fire in the new fire mode. Again sniper view is a nominal issue.
  • Do not allow more than (1 or 2) arty in a game. (3) is just over the top and can be a hindrance depending on how the game rolls. 1-2 based on map would improve game play.  With SPGs less likely to get Ensk (limited to 1), and more likely to get open maps I believe the quality of life improvement FOR the SPG player would be worth a nominal increase in queue time.  Worst case if the queue was backed up it could be programmed to dump a 3 SPG game still but making it less common.
  • Have an option for arty to switch to a light or medium back-up tank on city maps.  I would suggest that 'bad' arty maps (small/city maps) just get limited to 1 SPG.  This would make SPG players see them less often increasing their quality of life.  Its also not good to see 3 SPGs on Ensk as a heavy tank for example, because thats a lot less HP on the board to share across the team.  Unless it resulted in a significant queue increase I don't know why SPG players would rather see 3 SPG games instead of a decrease in likelihood to get bad arty maps and an increase in getting good arty maps.

Kenshin2kx #13 Posted Apr 03 2018 - 23:15

Major

• -Players-
  • 17552 battles

View PostDirizon, on Apr 03 2018 - 12:11, said:

Arty needs balancing, alright. By balancing, I mean help and buffs.

l find artillery, and really what people produce in them, as insignificant and underwhelming. Against heavier superheavy vehicles, arty like M53M55, obj 261, Bat Chats arty  -  can appear very slighting, causing extremely low damage. There are times, where stun time means very little, damage needs to be dealt. And arty can’t do it. Large splashing zones also, are very likely to only cause moderate stun times, as splash ranges damage done drops off hugely against armoured tanks and their spaced armour + track belts 

Arty shells, need a general five to ten % damage buff increase, and see how that goes

Guessing at a certain basic formulaic give and take ... I see WG considering such an increase, but also adding 'balance mitigation' in the form of fewer artillery per game ... unfortunately, WG has painted itself into an ackward corner ... 

KilIingblow #14 Posted Apr 03 2018 - 23:18

Private

• Players
  • 8726 battles
  • [BTPU] BTPU

This was a the feedback section of the WOT web site. I am not mad or angry and I don't think arty needs to be removed just adjusted.

There has to be one or two of my suggestions that makes sense. example having vision over the entire map is too powerful when no other tank has that capability.

Maybe you link to a tank at the beginning of the game and use his visual to shoot at tanks.

Some buffs to arty would be welcome if it made the play less sit and click.... 

Edited by KilIingblow, Apr 03 2018 - 23:20.

Kenshin2kx #15 Posted Apr 03 2018 - 23:25

Major

• -Players-
  • 17552 battles

View PostKilIingblow, on Apr 03 2018 - 12:18, said:

This was a the feedback section of the WOT web site. I am not mad or angry and I don't think arty needs to be removed just adjusted.

There has to be one or two of my suggestions that makes sense. example having vision over the entire map is too powerful when no other tank has that capability.

<Kenshin2kx>  He is the problem in a nutshell ... WG wanted/needed to 'sell' arty to the gaming public, so it made it fun and less confrontational (i.e. top down dynamic view)  They did this intentionally, otherwise much fewer would likely play with say an artillery that uses map coordinates as a basis for coordinated blind fire area denial.  The problem is that WG intended, endorsed and supported the class to the point that some pay/paid real money to play it ... so the real question IF you want equity ... what can WG do in light of their intentional and premeditated marketing campaign to to promote the class?   

Now don't get me wrong, I am in the significantly adjust arty segment ... but even I can see the difficulties for WG in terms of major change to any class of vehicle.

Maybe you link to a tank at the beginning of the game and use his visual to shoot at tanks. 

pickpocket293 #16 Posted Apr 03 2018 - 23:32

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 26200 battles
  • [FD_UP] FD_UP
Limit to 1 per team, problem solved.

Kenshin2kx #17 Posted Apr 03 2018 - 23:35

Major

• -Players-
  • 17552 battles

View Postpickpocket293, on Apr 03 2018 - 12:32, said:

Limit to 1 per team, problem solved.

Going by my <best guess> formula ... 1 arty would then be mitigated with significantly higher dpm globally speaking ... more damaging, accurate, faster firing and possibly more durable ... consider the present formula with up to 3 artillery, now condense it down to a max of 1 ...

KilIingblow #18 Posted Apr 03 2018 - 23:35

Private

• Players
  • 8726 battles
  • [BTPU] BTPU

I know this is not something easily fixed and that there are arty players who have lots of time and $$ into the game and want more for the future as well.

What do arty players think should happen in the game?  Kenshin answered before I posted..lol

Going by my <best guess> formula ... 1 arty would then be mitigated with significantly higher dpm globally speaking ... more damaging, accurate, faster firing and possibly more durable ... consider the present formula with up to 3 artillery, now condense it down to a max of 1 ...

I would say this is the simplest answer / solution and I would be good with it.

Edited by KilIingblow, Apr 03 2018 - 23:38.

IVilKilU #19 Posted Apr 03 2018 - 23:36

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 22543 battles
  • [BS_BS] BS_BS
Everything every time is Artie's fault. OP says he let his son play on his account. How old? How often? You whiners think Players giving the logins and controls of their accounts over to the10 year olds might be why your team is a super failure? Not arty.

IVilKilU #20 Posted Apr 03 2018 - 23:44

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 22543 battles
  • [BS_BS] BS_BS

View PostKilIingblow, on Apr 03 2018 - 15:24, said:

First off let me say 1.0 is awesome. Love the music, love the new maps, love the physics, you almost hit this out of the park but one thing is left to adjust in my opinion....Artillery...

I just watched my son try artillery today and I was surprised at how well they can see and shoot without having to reposition during a game.

I want to maneuver with strategy not worry about getting triple shot from above by something I cannot see or stop. As a tanker we have to move, pivot, scrape, aim, wait, pull back, and then reposition constantly but as an artillery player you can sit still most of the game and fire without fear on all the tanks in the field. until the very end of course if you lose. This makes me stay away from artillery as much as possible.

• Only allow the arty to see Hvy, Md, Lt, At, and tank location with a symbol.
  • Don't allow arty to shoot outside its line of sight (yellow line) and only allow artillery to target "lighted tanks" 
  • The new fire mode is way to powerful. Allow sniper mode only (arial mode).
  • Or make the arty have to close the distance if it wants to fire in the new fire mode.
  • Do not allow more than (1 or 2) arty in a game. (3) is just over the top and can be a hindrance depending on how the game rolls.
  • Have an option for arty to switch to a light or medium back-up tank on city maps. 

I have only played a small handful of artillery games. I don't mind arty but too much is too much. Something needs to be adjusted to balance the fun of the game from the tanker perspective.

Thanks for any consideration,

Steve H.

Aka: KillingBlow - an below average tanker but still has lots of fun.

What arty was your son playing? I play tier 8 and 9 arties. I have to shoot and move a lot. At times I end the game by being forced to go as a TD. This is hard to take when before arty was nerfed. I got top gun in at that time my Grille. Carried the game, won the game. Then however, we could load with AP if we had to turn TD. I see your attempt here as the common same old ant-arty rant. Which interpreted says, Please WG, take out everything that is a hurdle I have to jump to win a game. Enough said.

Also tagged with Arty, Artillery

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users