why is my ping gradually increasing?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
71 replies to this topic

DrWho_ #41 Posted Apr 07 2018 - 23:47

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 13287 battles

View PostAsassian7, on Apr 06 2018 - 00:06, said:

heres my pingplotter to the actual game server. (different to login server according to support) Its going through tokyo :-/

Which means your ISP's traffic is being routed through there to get to the US, looks like something changed with your ISP traffic then if you had half decent ping before.

As you can see it's the hop from Japan to LA that takes you over the edge, once you're in the US your ping hardly increases at all

Guess you need to contact your ISP and ask them, or did you perhaps change ISP in the last couple of months because different ISP route their traffic differently

WhineMaker #42 Posted Apr 07 2018 - 23:53

Major

• Players
  • 33672 battles

View PostAsassian7, on Apr 05 2018 - 15:06, said:

heres my pingplotter to the actual game server. (different to login server according to support) Its going through tokyo :-/

But for some reason, looks like you are trying to blame WG for the Tokyo hop. That's your ISP, not WG... 

But if you need to blame WG, you need to stomp your feet harder, swing your fists wildly and scream at the top of your lungs, when you throw your tantrum... :child:

spud_tuber #43 Posted Apr 08 2018 - 00:36

Major

• Players
  • 51097 battles
It's probably not his ISP, but rather someone in the middle between his ISP and WG.  Either way, contacting his ISP is a better bet than trying to get WG to do anything about it.  Firstly because it almost certainly isn't WG or their ISP, and secondly because they won't even do anything when it is their ISP.

Chameleon_1999 #44 Posted Apr 08 2018 - 00:44

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 28544 battles
  • [DBDM] DBDM

Not sure if this helps, but I had ping issues a while back. It was from my ROgers cable guy. He said our area is outdated. Gave my the max for a decent deal tho and still can run 50 fps in good times. The ping is random tho. Get used to it.

Asassian7 #45 Posted Apr 08 2018 - 00:46

Major

• Players
  • 24859 battles
  • [YOUJO] YOUJO

View PostDrWho_, on Apr 08 2018 - 10:47, said:

Which means your ISP's traffic is being routed through there to get to the US, looks like something changed with your ISP traffic then if you had half decent ping before.

As you can see it's the hop from Japan to LA that takes you over the edge, once you're in the US your ping hardly increases at all

Guess you need to contact your ISP and ask them, or did you perhaps change ISP in the last couple of months because different ISP route their traffic differently

yup. I've done pingplotters before and its been routed normally.

Spoiler

these are the undersea cables, and I have seen it being routed through hawaii before. in fact sometimes its even gone direct to LA. so idk what the change is. 

DrWho_ #46 Posted Apr 08 2018 - 03:34

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 13287 battles

View PostAsassian7, on Apr 08 2018 - 00:46, said:

yup. I've done pingplotters before and its been routed normally.

Spoiler

these are the undersea cables, and I have seen it being routed through hawaii before. in fact sometimes its even gone direct to LA. so idk what the change is. 

Your ISP has traffic agreements with the backbone providers, maybe they changed something there

Izgoy0899 #47 Posted Apr 08 2018 - 04:24

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 143 battles

View PostAsassian7, on Apr 05 2018 - 03:30, said:

Please tell me Im not the only one with this issue.

when the central server was released, my ping was 200. yes, New Zealand. etc etc etc that doesn't matter. but, since the release of the central server, my ping has gradually increased, up to 230, then to 250, then to 280, now its 300! and today, for some bizzare reason, its Motherhecking 430????? I restarted the client and its 470? WHY?

FYI, ping from NZ to any server in the USA should not be going over 250-260ish. I get 320 ping to EU servers, which is on the other side of the planet. I should not be getting ping this high to a server that is closer both geographically and via internet cables, than European servers.

my internet hasn't changed. in fact, my internet is actually a good 30mbps FASTER than it was when the central server went live. (70/30 up/down to 100/50 up down - and more stable connection) so why is my ping to the WoT server, and ONLY the WoT server (no other games are effected, not even WoWS NA) increasing so much? 200 is playable, 250 is even playable (it was my ping to NA east) but 300 is nearly unplayable (can't hit moving targets) let alone 400. 

how can I fix this?

edit: forgot to mention, this is just a stable ping. its not packet lossy or laggy or anything like that. its just a stable 400+ ping. 

I'm American, but work in Vietnam and I'm pulling about 230-250 when I play on NA.  I have had an increase in lag spikes at times though while trying to do the recent event, which is why I bounced back to the SEA server for a while....as much as I hate the SEA server. 

Though I have no connection issues with WoWs or WoWp. 

Izgoy0899 #48 Posted Apr 08 2018 - 04:26

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 143 battles

View PostKamahl1234, on Apr 05 2018 - 03:53, said:

Isn't the LATAM server geographically closer to you than Central?

That doesn't matter.  Again I'm in Vietnam, but get a MUCH better connection to USC at 230-250 than I do to the ANZ server that will be over 300. 

Edited by medoyehd, Apr 08 2018 - 04:40.

Izgoy0899 #49 Posted Apr 08 2018 - 04:35

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 143 battles

View PostSpectreHD, on Apr 05 2018 - 07:35, said:

Ah right. Connections from here would most certainly go to Singapore and then Japan then to the US if my ping plotter from a couple years back are still the same.

As for why I didn't transfer, most of my WoT friends and Clan are in NA. Plus I heard stories of bias against ANZ players early on in the Asia server. Also the fact that they changed the name of the server from originally Oceania to Asia.

Plus I can't read squares. ;) Despite being from SEA, I have less of a language barrier on the NA server then I would with the Asia server.

So all I lost was better ping and the chance to get the Valkyria Chronicle tanks. The latter annoys me the most because it is so stupid that there are server exclusive content.

Don't worry, SEA got screwed on the X-mas gift boxes (lowered chance of a T8 tank and no decorations) and after waiting several days for the AMX 1357 to be sold on the server the lowest cost bundle was 2x as high as the lowest cost bundle on NA and EU, selling at $52.39.  It is like SEA waits to see what happens on NA and EU and then adjusts to make the most profit. 

SpectreHD #50 Posted Apr 08 2018 - 04:45

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 16530 battles
  • [TT] TT

View Postmedoyehd, on Apr 08 2018 - 11:35, said:

Don't worry, SEA got screwed on the X-mas gift boxes (lowered chance of a T8 tank and no decorations) and after waiting several days for the AMX 1357 to be sold on the server the lowest cost bundle was 2x as high as the lowest cost bundle on NA and EU, selling at $52.39.  It is like SEA waits to see what happens on NA and EU and then adjusts to make the most profit. 

What I find most stupid is they charge NA prices. You would think they'd charge lower considering the lower income levels of the region. Just because there are some countries with higher income levels, doesn't mean everyone else should pay more.

Although I am a bit wary about the lowered chance for T8 tanks on the X-mas boxes. It is very hard to be sure without actual concrete evidence.

Asassian7 #51 Posted Apr 08 2018 - 05:07

Major

• Players
  • 24859 battles
  • [YOUJO] YOUJO

View Postmedoyehd, on Apr 08 2018 - 15:35, said:

Thats another reason, yes. Also, Valkyrie chronical tanks. pleasegodno.

SpectreHD #52 Posted Apr 08 2018 - 05:19

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 16530 battles
  • [TT] TT

View PostAsassian7, on Apr 08 2018 - 12:07, said:

Yes you mean.

Izgoy0899 #53 Posted Apr 08 2018 - 10:50

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 143 battles

View PostAsassian7, on Apr 08 2018 - 05:07, said:

Valkyrie tanks seem to be slightly more used than the Chrysler K, which I have only seen a total of 3 in game.  Meaning I see the Nameless played a few times, but not that much. 

Whisky_A_Go_Go #54 Posted Apr 08 2018 - 13:02

Major

• Players
  • 9940 battles

View PostAsassian7, on Apr 07 2018 - 17:23, said:

200 ping to NA central WHEN IT WAS RELEASED.

Doesn't matter. Totally irrelevant. They WARNED YOU that it COULD POTENTIALLY BECOME UNPLAYABLE.

They offered you options 4 times to PREVENT THAT FROM HAPPENING.

You passed on the offers every single time.

You have nobody to blame but yourself.

This is no different than a cop saying, "If you speed, I'll give you a ticket."

So you speed anyway on Monday. They you speed again on Tuesday. Then you speed again on Wednesday and you get pulled over and given a ticket but you blame the cop and say it's not your fault because he didn't ticket you on Monday or Tuesday so you assumed it was OK to speed forever.

Same exact thing.

Grow up. Put your man underwear on and stop blaming Wargaming for your mistake and block-headedness.

Asassian7 #55 Posted Apr 08 2018 - 13:03

Major

• Players
  • 24859 battles
  • [YOUJO] YOUJO

View PostWhisky_A_Go_Go, on Apr 09 2018 - 00:02, said:

Doesn't matter. Totally irrelevant. They WARNED YOU that it COULD POTENTIALLY BECOME UNPLAYABLE.

They offered you options 4 times to PREVENT THAT FROM HAPPENING.

You passed on the offers every single time.

You have nobody to blame but yourself.

This is no different than a cop saying, "If you speed, I'll give you a ticket."

So you speed anyway on Monday. They you speed again on Tuesday. Then you speed again on Wednesday and you get pulled over and given a ticket but you blame the cop and say it's not your fault because he didn't ticket you on Monday or Tuesday so you assumed it was OK to speed forever.

Same exact thing.

so what about literally the entire rest of that post you quoted as other reasons unrelated to ping? Until you figure out there are reasons besides ping on my choice, you really have no say in this.

or is your only argument "you far away, you no complain, hurr durr herpaderpadurp"

Whisky_A_Go_Go #56 Posted Apr 08 2018 - 13:07

Major

• Players
  • 9940 battles

View PostAsassian7, on Apr 08 2018 - 07:03, said:

so what about literally the entire rest of that post you quoted as other reasons unrelated to ping?

or is your only argument "you far away, you no complain, hurr durr herpaderpadurp"

You were told it would not be good and could potentially become unplayable.

You were offered 4 chances to change servers. You refused all of them because of "your little buddies".

Hundreds of others made the move and have no problems at all.

You are the only one here crying because now your ISP routes you all the way to freaking Japan (which, bye the bye, is farther away than both the Austrailian and SEA servers) before it even bothers to head to the U.S.

Again, Wargaming foresaw things like that happening and warned you about it.

That's all on you and nobody else. If you're so narrow minded or dim witted that you can't guess that not all data centers will remain in operation, or that some will reroute your signal to other stations to maximize THEIR traffic and not yours, then you deserved exactly what happened to you.

Asassian7 #57 Posted Apr 08 2018 - 13:20

Major

• Players
  • 24859 battles
  • [YOUJO] YOUJO

View PostWhisky_A_Go_Go, on Apr 09 2018 - 00:07, said:

You were told it would not be good and could potentially become unplayable.

You were offered 4 chances to change servers. You refused all of them because of "your little buddies".

Hundreds of others made the move and have no problems at all.

You are the only one here crying because now your ISP routes you all the way to freaking Japan (which, bye the bye, is farther away than both the Austrailian and SEA servers) before it even bothers to head to the U.S.

Again, Wargaming foresaw things like that happening and warned you about it.

That's all on you and nobody else. If you're so narrow minded or dim witted that you can't guess that not all data centers will remain in operation, or that some will reroute your signal to other stations to maximize THEIR traffic and not yours, then you deserved exactly what happened to you.

So you're saying I should of moved to a server with no friends, contacts, or clans. With worse population, worse timezones, and the same ping. For... What reason? 

And we're back to the "far away, is bad. Hurr durr"

In 6 odd years, ping to NA east and west didnt change. Heck, both actually improved over time. So forgive me for assuming that a server between east and west, with 200 ping, staying on 200 ping. Until just the last couple months, would stay at 200 ping. Servers dont gradually move location.

Heck, this might even just be a temporary issue because one of the trans atlantic cables are down. 

Kliphie #58 Posted Apr 08 2018 - 13:35

Major

• Players
  • 30516 battles
  • [IOC] IOC
WAGG, why are you so passionate about a player having issues on a game you haven't played in over 2 weeks?

Whisky_A_Go_Go #59 Posted Apr 08 2018 - 13:39

Major

• Players
  • 9940 battles

View PostAsassian7, on Apr 08 2018 - 07:20, said:

So you're saying I should of moved to a server with no friends, contacts, or clans.

If you wanted stable game play, yes. If your friends are more important than the game play, then suck it up and stop crying. Fact is, it's not Wargaming's problem. It's yours.

And we're back to the "far away, is bad. Hurr durr"

Yes, it is. Because the farther away you are, the worse your ping has the potential to be. It's called logistics. Let's review for the learning impaired:

• the farther away you are, the more likely you will need multiple connections to get to your destination. It's like flying. Not all flights are non-stop.
  • each time you make a connection, you run the risk of not having as good a transfer in and out of that connection. Back to the flying analogy - just because your flight left your home airport on schedule does not mean your connecting flight will leave on time. You may have a 6 hour layover...or only 2.
  • the more connections you make, the more likely you are to have those "layover" problems.
  • the longer the distance and the larger the number of connections, the more likely those connections are to change without notice at any given time to other connections with, once again, no guarantee at all of connection speed.

You open yourself up to exactly what has happened to you by insisting against all advice to play on the server that is over twice as far away from you as the one they recommended.

In 6 odd years, ping to NA east and west didnt change.

Yes, they did. A lot. People complained about it non stop the entire time. There were threads almost daily about it. But Wargaming being Wargaming, most of those have been deleted.

But here you go just for you:

From 2011:

Block Quote

Yep same had great Game Play at 300ms, then 2 weeks ago it now hovers around 380 - 450 and lags like [edited], it might normalize every now and again. made the game crap to play.

Darwin, Australia

There were post almost daily from people from Australia and New Zealand about lag and packet loss issues. It even started happening on the East coast as well with people from Europe.

It's been going on since day one with you folks that for whatever reason rather than play on the servers built for you, you insist on playing on one the furthest away. You put yourself at the mercy of ISP's who can, at will, change which way your signal routes with absolutely no guarantee of good service.

That is, once again, NOT Wargaming's fault. It's  yours.

Edit to add: I am approximately 900 miles away from the server. I never have connection problems or ping problems. (Packet loss is all I've ever had, and that was pretty rare.)

You on the other hand are approximately 8,200 miles away from the server and you're having all kinds of issues now.

Coincidence? I think not.

Edited by Whisky_A_Go_Go, Apr 08 2018 - 13:46.

Asassian7 #60 Posted Apr 08 2018 - 13:52

Major

• Players
  • 24859 battles
  • [YOUJO] YOUJO

View PostWhisky_A_Go_Go, on Apr 09 2018 - 00:39, said:

If you wanted stable game play, yes. If your friends are more important than the game play, then suck it up and stop crying. Fact is, it's not Wargaming's problem. It's yours.

Yes, it is. Because the farther away you are, the worse your ping has the potential to be. It's called logistics. Let's review for the learning impaired:

• the farther away you are, the more likely you will need multiple connections to get to your destination. It's like flying. Not all flights are non-stop.
  • each time you make a connection, you run the risk of not having as good a transfer in and out of that connection. Back to the flying analogy - just because your flight left your home airport on schedule does not mean your connecting flight will leave on time. You may have a 6 hour layover...or only 2.
  • the more connections you make, the more likely you are to have those "layover" problems.
  • the longer the distance and the larger the number of connections, the more likely those connections are to change without notice at any given time to other connections with, once again, no guarantee at all of connection speed.

You open yourself up to exactly what has happened to you by insisting against all advice to play on the server that is over twice as far away from you as the one they recommended.

Yes, they did. A lot. People complained about it non stop the entire time. There were threads almost daily about it. But Wargaming being Wargaming, most of those have been deleted.

But here you go just for you:

From 2011:

There were post almost daily from people from Australia and New Zealand about lag and packet loss issues. It even started happening on the East coast as well with people from Europe.

It's been going on since day one with you folks that for whatever reason rather than play on the servers built for you, you insist on playing on one the furthest away. You put yourself at the mercy of ISP's who can, at will, change which way your signal routes with absolutely no guarantee of good service.

That is, once again, NOT Wargaming's fault. It's  yours.

Sigh.

Theres no getting through to you.

I had one issue with ping since I began playing this game. That was NA east during the first ranked season being packet lossy. But It wasn't just me, plenty of NA people had the issue as well. (And plenty of kiwis didnt)

I've been on this forum since 2013, havent seen many if any complaints about ping from AUS/NZL players. So i dont know what you're on about. Also, the ASIA server was released in late 2012 I believe. So bringing a post from 2011 up is pointless, doubly pointless because as I pointed out, NA west gave better ping than ASIA for NZ players. It went as low as 120 at dead hours, but was generally around 150. East was 250, 230 at dead hours. ASIA has always been a solid 200 and still is.

NA is the closest avalible server with the best ping for NZ, until the Australian server was released (NOT the ASIA server) so trying to say its "the furthest away" is downright wrong. The ASIA server was much better designed for Australia, not NZ. There almost never is an NZ designed server in games like this. War Thunder and Armoured Warfare are both similar.

I have already covered the fact that the Aussie server is not up 24/7 and is not up at times when I'd be able to play on it. 

So your entire point, as it has been from the second you started commenting, is moot. Its irrelevant to the point of this topic. 

Now, if you have any other points that actually may be benificial to solving the problem outlined by myself, and confirmed by several players IN NA ITSELF, please share. Otherwise, you may have the honour of being the SECOND ever person to grace my forum blacklist. Because im sick of repeating myself.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users