Update 1.0 - In-Game Crashes, Graphics Anomalies, Unable to Connect/Load

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

CaptFlak #21 Posted May 13 2018 - 00:33

Private

• -Players-
  • 22313 battles

View PostJack_Sweeney_1, on Apr 06 2018 - 12:58, said:

Received the same reply from CodeWeavers.

Have reduced graphics to medium, now get 3-4 games before crash, freeze or green triangles for ground instead of 1 or 2 games.

iMac 27 inch mid 2011, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7,16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3,AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2 GB running OS High Sierra 10.13.4 and WoT client 2.0.21.

Waiting patiently for 64-bit port.

I was locking up every 1-3 battles on my iMac having to force quit and then restart in time to get back into the battle before I get killed. I have now dropped my resolution from 2560X1440 to 2048X1152 and went to Low Graphic Quality and I have play over a dozen missions and haven't locked up yet. The other improvement is i've gone from a 30-60 FPS to 70-140 FPS  I'll try the medium quality and see how that works. I have a 27inch 2014 iMac with 32GB RAM and RAdeaon M295 with 4 Gigs.   I am eager to have the memory leak addressed so I can go back to higher quality and higher resolution.   

black_colt #22 Posted May 14 2018 - 15:28

Major

• -Players-
  • 3722 battles

View PostCaptFlak, on May 12 2018 - 15:33, said:

I was locking up every 1-3 battles on my iMac having to force quit and then restart in time to get back into the battle before I get killed. I have now dropped my resolution from 2560X1440 to 2048X1152 and went to Low Graphic Quality and I have play over a dozen missions and haven't locked up yet. The other improvement is i've gone from a 30-60 FPS to 70-140 FPS  I'll try the medium quality and see how that works. I have a 27inch 2014 iMac with 32GB RAM and RAdeaon M295 with 4 Gigs.   I am eager to have the memory leak addressed so I can go back to higher quality and higher resolution.   

Thanks for the update especially what settings worked.

Yes it would be nice if Wargaming would allow the updated wrapper to be released.

Leoflyer02 #23 Posted May 28 2018 - 04:05

Private

• -Players-
  • 17731 battles

Well, this could be the end of the line for WoT.  I've been playing WoT for years, but it's become unplayable lately.

My Hack system is a ASUS i7 2700K 3.41 GHz - 24GB with an Nvidia GeForce 970/4GB - 2560x1440

The crashing started after WoT updated to the 1.0 release. In the beginning, it happened every few games. Over time, it's become more frequent, crashing nearly every game. In a long running battle, I might be able to crash and restart a few times.  The trick is to always stay under cover, avoid detection, and then rely on a solid state drive for a quick reboot. Hopefully you're back in the game before someone kills you. If the game ends quickly before you can reconnect, you'll get a nasty warning from WoT about leaving the game early (as if you voluntarily pulled the plug).

Based on the online advice seen in other threads, I've lowered my quality down to medium. That didn't help. I though it might be a thermal problem, so I removed the video card and made sure the fan and heatsink were clean and operational. That didn't help.

Then I tried de-installing WoT with the 'Studly' utility and performing a full reinstall of both the Mac Wrapper and the WoT client. I had to do this twice, since I accidentally used the European wrapper version instead of the North American version. They otherwise look identical, but the former only allows you to logon to euro servers, and my account is on a North American server. 

With a fresh install , I tried it again with no success. Now crashing happens every game and even when sitting in the garage. Based on this thread I tried again with a lower screen resolution set to 2048x1152. The game will crash after only a minute or so of gameplay. It's a hard crash with the screen going blank and the motherboard resetting/restarting, just the same as if you toggled the power off and on.

black_colt #24 Posted May 29 2018 - 05:21

Major

• -Players-
  • 3722 battles

View PostLeoflyer02, on May 27 2018 - 19:05, said:

Well, this could be the end of the line for WoT.  I've been playing WoT for years, but it's become unplayable lately.

My Hack system is a ASUS i7 2700K 3.41 GHz - 24GB with an Nvidia GeForce 970/4GB - 2560x1440

The crashing started after WoT updated to the 1.0 release. In the beginning, it happened every few games. Over time, it's become more frequent, crashing nearly every game. In a long running battle, I might be able to crash and restart a few times.  The trick is to always stay under cover, avoid detection, and then rely on a solid state drive for a quick reboot. Hopefully you're back in the game before someone kills you. If the game ends quickly before you can reconnect, you'll get a nasty warning from WoT about leaving the game early (as if you voluntarily pulled the plug).

Based on the online advice seen in other threads, I've lowered my quality down to medium. That didn't help. I though it might be a thermal problem, so I removed the video card and made sure the fan and heatsink were clean and operational. That didn't help.

Then I tried de-installing WoT with the 'Studly' utility and performing a full reinstall of both the Mac Wrapper and the WoT client. I had to do this twice, since I accidentally used the European wrapper version instead of the North American version. They otherwise look identical, but the former only allows you to logon to euro servers, and my account is on a North American server. 

With a fresh install , I tried it again with no success. Now crashing happens every game and even when sitting in the garage. Based on this thread I tried again with a lower screen resolution set to 2048x1152. The game will crash after only a minute or so of gameplay. It's a hard crash with the screen going blank and the motherboard resetting/restarting, just the same as if you toggled the power off and on.

How do you know that the issues are not related to your use of non-Apple branded hardware with macOS?

Leoflyer02 #25 Posted Jun 04 2018 - 02:08

Private

• -Players-
  • 17731 battles

View Postblack_colt, on May 29 2018 - 05:21, said:

How do you know that the issues are not related to your use of non-Apple branded hardware with macOS?

It's entirely likely. But it's good for both the developers and players to know that the WoT software is changing in ways that make it less resilient. My system ran well for about two years, taking on countless updates without much impact. Over that same time, hardware changes included video card upgrades and a shift to SSD technology.  None of this impacted anything. But the new 1.0 software appears to be more sensitive than it used to be; crashing and instability appear to be more common.

I don't know if I'll be able to play WoT without moving over to a Windows 10 machine. But I have learned that I suddenly have a lot more free time to pursue other hobbies now that WoT isn't readily available.  As the days go by, I'm less and less inclined to want to play.

black_colt #26 Posted Jun 04 2018 - 16:10

Major

• -Players-
  • 3722 battles

View PostLeoflyer02, on Jun 03 2018 - 17:08, said:

It's entirely likely. But it's good for both the developers and players to know that the WoT software is changing in ways that make it less resilient. My system ran well for about two years, taking on countless updates without much impact. Over that same time, hardware changes included video card upgrades and a shift to SSD technology.  None of this impacted anything. But the new 1.0 software appears to be more sensitive than it used to be; crashing and instability appear to be more common.

I don't know if I'll be able to play WoT without moving over to a Windows 10 machine. But I have learned that I suddenly have a lot more free time to pursue other hobbies now that WoT isn't readily available.  As the days go by, I'm less and less inclined to want to play.

If you using a Hackintosh - why would you think that the software developers should give any weight to/focus on any issues of someone who is cracking [DMCA violation], breach of contract, copyright violation, and enabling others to do so?

After all they make their living on others fairly compensating them for their work and expect others to follow the law.

Edited by black_colt, Jun 04 2018 - 17:42.

tangimees #27 Posted Jun 08 2018 - 16:32

Private

• Players
  • 5805 battles
  • [H2O] H2O
Hi.

Im frustrated :P

I did all the uninstalling and deleted those files, reinstalled . . . and it worked. Well atleast for 3 days. Now im stuck again at the loading to garage/syncronizing personal file/ etc. Im not goin to reinstall it again, coz i want decent fix for this. Is theres possible that theres update comin witch fix this all ? Used Studl Utility tho, nothing interesting happened.
Im pretty old player tho, but that crashing lately makes me quit that game.

Thank you, keep on dreamin playin WOT with Mac :P

Edited by tangimees, Jun 08 2018 - 16:34.

black_colt #28 Posted Jun 08 2018 - 17:41

Major

• -Players-
  • 3722 battles

View Posttangimees, on Jun 08 2018 - 07:32, said:

Hi.

Im frustrated :P

I did all the uninstalling and deleted those files, reinstalled . . . and it worked. Well atleast for 3 days. Now im stuck again at the loading to garage/syncronizing personal file/ etc. Im not goin to reinstall it again, coz i want decent fix for this. Is theres possible that theres update comin witch fix this all ? Used Studl Utility tho, nothing interesting happened.
Im pretty old player tho, but that crashing lately makes me quit that game.

Thank you, keep on dreamin playin WOT with Mac :P

What version of the WOT Mac Wrapper are you running? It should be 2.0.21.

Launch the WOT Mac Wrapper and if you are not presented with a dialog box stating the version - go to [World of Tanks] [About World of Tanks] when you see the [PLAY] dialog box.

If not, then remove the game using one of the methods previously mentioned, download the wrapper directly from Wargaming [do not use an 'old' version] and reinstall.

FrozenKemp #29 Posted Jun 14 2018 - 11:07

Major

• Players
  • 48089 battles
Wait, never mind, did a stupid thing.  Forgot to update the wrapper. 

Edited by FrozenKemp, Jun 14 2018 - 11:09.

black_colt #30 Posted Jun 14 2018 - 15:38

Major

• -Players-
  • 3722 battles

View PostFrozenKemp, on Jun 14 2018 - 02:07, said:

Wait, never mind, did a stupid thing.  Forgot to update the wrapper. 

No worries.

Note: You may encounter an issue where the you cannot install the update [even if you clicked on update]. There was an issue several versions back, due to a bug in Sparkle, that the WOT Mac Wrapper would not update past a certain version.  Unfortunately if this is what you are encountering then the only work-around is to uninstall the game [make sure you back-up your Replays folder].

black_colt #31 Posted Jun 14 2018 - 16:50

Major

• -Players-
  • 3722 battles

View Postblack_colt, on Jun 14 2018 - 06:38, said:

No worries.

Note: You may encounter an issue where the you cannot install the update [even if you clicked on update]. There was an issue several versions back, due to a bug in Sparkle, that the WOT Mac Wrapper would not update past a certain version.  Unfortunately if this is what you are encountering then the only work-around is to uninstall the game [make sure you back-up your Replays folder].

I suspect that there is a way to maintain the existing downloaded files but not sure if it is worth the effort - especially since you cannot guarantee that there will not be any spare/obscure bits from the [old] data that will cause issues - e.g. Mods, etc.

I am of the opinion that reinstalling is the best - abate time-consuming since you need to download, install, install Mods - as you are starting from a [clean-slate].

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users