Pz III E. vs Pz III J

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Perdikkas #1 Posted Apr 09 2018 - 08:52

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 16599 battles

hi,

I understand the IIIJ is a slightly  improved tank.   but is there  really any reason to buy it over the IIIE?  ( I enjoy the E).  Is is that much better or just a step as you march up the tiers to better lights.

thanks

_T_H_U_N_D_E_R_ #2 Posted Apr 09 2018 - 11:46

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 37941 battles
  • [RDDT6] RDDT6
In my opinion the Pz III J is way better. I love my Pz III J, The dpm on it is brutal (I have 2.06 sec reload on the 5cm with BIA, gun rammer and vents.) It's one of my fav tier 4 tanks and it is worth getting it.

heavymetal1967 #3 Posted Apr 09 2018 - 12:27

Major

• Players
  • 72574 battles
  • [HSOLO] HSOLO

OP from a tank vs. tank argument many, likely most, would argue that the III J is the better tank.

And to be honest you're comparing apples and oranges in a sense.

Main differences besides that one is a light and the other a med is that the 3 E at tier three gets one tier MM whereas the 3 J gets two tier MM.

And IF they don't spare tier threes from the preferred MM changes tier three tanks will go back to seeing a two tier spread.

But to your question. 

If you like the 3 E then keep it and keep playing it. 

Nothing says you have to move up any line or get out of any tank for the next tank in the line.

It's your game and if you enjoy playing it then have fun.

Something to consider.  Get the III J and keep the III E with its crew and put a new crew in the tier four and see how you like it.

Merc_Scar #4 Posted Apr 09 2018 - 12:29

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 16234 battles

Exactly that it's just an improved version of the Pz III. But there a few points to note that set it aside from the predecessor.

The Pz III J features two sets of spaced armor plates one on the front hull plate and the upgraded turret has spaced armor gun mantlet this with your actual hull plates can allow you you bounce to just out right eat shots at times.

The Pz III J also features the ability to mount the 7.5cm L/24, it in itself is a niche gun, I've had some fun with it, but really don't expect these grand results.

Now onto why I love the everlasting hell out of this tank and why I use it as a stress relief tank.

This thing can be run like a fat scout. It has great speed, fine acceleration and good mobility. All this allows you to keep up/close too/ or in front of your teams light/scout tanks, it also allows you to quickly get from one flank to another. Speaking of, your ability to get around makes this tank ideal to getting on the sides of the enemy and plant rounds into them, and if you mount the 5cm L/60 you'll have a rapid firing, fairly accurate machine that can make short work of enemies.

Ideally you'd blitz out to a corner area where you can peak out and get first picks, and then pull back if safe, if your team hasn't caught up with you yet. Then you'd play a sort of support, lobbing out a couple of shots then take cover again, when the opportunity presents itself, get out there onto the enemies flank and harass them, or if you notice another area is faltering, you can quickly get over there and try and plug it up.

Also it's fun as hell to go full speed into that cheeky light tank who got past everyone and is casually doing stuff at the rear of the lines not really paying attention as a heavier tank than it comes at it with comparable speed and total runs it into paste (do note you will still take a good chunk of damage, your not like a heavy ramming down hill, but this is still fun).

On to armor. Now like many tanks down in the low tiers, don't think your armor makes you god, you'll quickly get body slammed by everyone and their mother. However as I stated above, this machine features two sets of space armor plates, the first is a plate which covers the entire frontal plate. Normally your front plate would be 50mm thick, this extra plate boost it up to 70mm thick flat on, mind you people can still aim for the driver and MG ports, where it will still be 50mm thick. The second plate comes with the upgraded turret, where if you use any of the guns bar the 7.5cm L/24, you will have another 20mm thick plate placed over the gun mantlet. Now everything head on will be at least 70mm thick, bar your lower plate which still sits at 50mm. Angle your self like a diamond against tier 3's and 4's, you actually have a good chance at winning fights head to head, your tracks will eat shots, and you can bounce our eat shots.

That being said don't trust your armor to save you from bigger gun totting tanks at your tier and up, like TD's and longer barreled 75's found on the likes of the M3 Lee.

Now guns. You've got two end choices realistically.

The 5cm L/60, an all round decent gun, it's got good enough pen, accuracy and RoF and be comparable to an auto cannon. At your tier and below you can pin people full of holes, at tier 5 and up you either have to be shooting MG ports, their sides, or use APCR (I carry about 20 in the times I get screwed into a fight with say a KV or something). If you do get flanking shots in , if kitted right you can get at least 3-4 shots in before they turn to face you, if on their rear proper, you might even kill them before they can get their own gun bearing on you.

There is also the 7.5cm L/24. This gun, like the others mounted on Pz IV's and StuG's is a howitzer, you can have some fun cracking open paper tanks, but again, if you get dragged into the upper tier fights, you'll be slinging HE for negligible damage, or enough HEAT to bankrupt Switzerland. On the flip side of the coin I've had some luck with the gun, especially during the time that I ran the D.W II (which I actually enjoyed, despite it constantly fighting up the ladder). Thinly armor tanks and side armor can be suspectable to this one, however, once you come across someone with even a moderate amount of armor (relatively speaking for the low tier) once your AP starts plinking, it'll be HE/HEAT all the way

I'd still strongly recommend using the 5cm, the gun itself, with the spaced armor provided by the upgraded turret just outweigh the 7.5cm as a general purpose gun, and lack of extra turret armor.

After that you've got the extra stuff, crew, equipment, all that good stuff. (Mind you this stuff following is if you intend to keep the tank and want some random blokes opinion)

Crew personally I run to improve mobility and firepower.

First run through.

Commander - Mentor (anything to hurry this along).

Gunner - Snap Shot (For flanking and when running loops close quarter style).

Driver - Clutch braking (Same as snap shot, also when you hit the hand brake you can slide around corners at high speeds).

Radio Op. - Sit. Awareness (More sight, better chance getting first shots off).

Loader - Repairs (Inevitably someones gonna track you, and your kit will be on cool down).

Second run through once you get a bit on second skill/perks.

Retrain everyone to Brothers in Arms then repeat the same set as above.

Equipment wise.

Rammer - more shots = better chance to kill stuff.

Vents - Better overall performance.

Coated optics - Like Sit. Awareness, better sight, better chance to see the enemy first.

Consumable wise, player preference.

So personally.

Large Repair kit.

Large Med. kit.

105 Octane gas - Because this tank thrives with mobility.

Overall I find this tank fun as hell to run, no matter the occasion and grab it anytime any games at other tiers are just going terribly bad, this tank always comes through for a good time.

Have fun.

Edited by Merc_Scar, Apr 09 2018 - 12:50.

Not_Connery #5 Posted Apr 09 2018 - 13:49

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 7583 battles

View PostMerc_Scar, on Apr 09 2018 - 12:29, said:

Exactly that it's just an improved version of the Pz III. But there a few points to note that set it aside from the predecessor.

The Pz III J features two sets of spaced armor plates one on the front hull plate and the upgraded turret has spaced armor gun mantlet this with your actual hull plates can allow you you bounce to just out right eat shots at times.

The Pz III J also features the ability to mount the 7.5cm L/24, it in itself is a niche gun, I've had some fun with it, but really don't expect these grand results.

Now onto why I love the everlasting hell out of this tank and why I use it as a stress relief tank.

This thing can be run like a fat scout. It has great speed, fine acceleration and good mobility. All this allows you to keep up/close too/ or in front of your teams light/scout tanks, it also allows you to quickly get from one flank to another. Speaking of, your ability to get around makes this tank ideal to getting on the sides of the enemy and plant rounds into them, and if you mount the 5cm L/60 you'll have a rapid firing, fairly accurate machine that can make short work of enemies.

Ideally you'd blitz out to a corner area where you can peak out and get first picks, and then pull back if safe, if your team hasn't caught up with you yet. Then you'd play a sort of support, lobbing out a couple of shots then take cover again, when the opportunity presents itself, get out there onto the enemies flank and harass them, or if you notice another area is faltering, you can quickly get over there and try and plug it up.

Also it's fun as hell to go full speed into that cheeky light tank who got past everyone and is casually doing stuff at the rear of the lines not really paying attention as a heavier tank than it comes at it with comparable speed and total runs it into paste (do note you will still take a good chunk of damage, your not like a heavy ramming down hill, but this is still fun).

On to armor. Now like many tanks down in the low tiers, don't think your armor makes you god, you'll quickly get body slammed by everyone and their mother. However as I stated above, this machine features two sets of space armor plates, the first is a plate which covers the entire frontal plate. Normally your front plate would be 50mm thick, this extra plate boost it up to 70mm thick flat on, mind you people can still aim for the driver and MG ports, where it will still be 50mm thick. The second plate comes with the upgraded turret, where if you use any of the guns bar the 7.5cm L/24, you will have another 20mm thick plate placed over the gun mantlet. Now everything head on will be at least 70mm thick, bar your lower plate which still sits at 50mm. Angle your self like a diamond against tier 3's and 4's, you actually have a good chance at winning fights head to head, your tracks will eat shots, and you can bounce our eat shots.

That being said don't trust your armor to save you from bigger gun totting tanks at your tier and up, like TD's and longer barreled 75's found on the likes of the M3 Lee.

The 5cm L/60, an all round decent gun, it's got good enough pen, accuracy and RoF and be comparable to an auto cannon. At your tier and below you can pin people full of holes, at tier 5 and up you either have to be shooting MG ports, their sides, or use APCR (I carry about 20 in the times I get screwed into a fight with say a KV or something). If you do get flanking shots in , if kitted right you can get at least 3-4 shots in before they turn to face you, if on their rear proper, you might even kill them before they can get their own gun bearing on you.

There is also the 7.5cm L/24. This gun, like the others mounted on Pz IV's and StuG's is a howitzer, you can have some fun cracking open paper tanks, but again, if you get dragged into the upper tier fights, you'll be slinging HE for negligible damage, or enough HEAT to bankrupt Switzerland. On the flip side of the coin I've had some luck with the gun, especially during the time that I ran the D.W II (which I actually enjoyed, despite it constantly fighting up the ladder). Thinly armor tanks and side armor can be suspectable to this one, however, once you come across someone with even a moderate amount of armor (relatively speaking for the low tier) once your AP starts plinking, it'll be HE/HEAT all the way

I'd still strongly recommend using the 5cm, the gun itself, with the spaced armor provided by the upgraded turret just outweigh the 7.5cm as a general purpose gun, and lack of extra turret armor.

After that you've got the extra stuff, crew, equipment, all that good stuff. (Mind you this stuff following is if you intend to keep the tank and want some random blokes opinion)

First run through.

Driver - Clutch braking (Same as snap shot, also when you hit the hand brake you can slide around corners at high speeds).

Loader - Repairs (Inevitably someones gonna track you, and your kit will be on cool down).

Equipment wise.

Coated optics - Like Sit. Awareness, better sight, better chance to see the enemy first.

So personally.

Large Repair kit.

Large Med. kit.

Overall I find this tank fun as hell to run, no matter the occasion and grab it anytime any games at other tiers are just going terribly bad, this tank always comes through for a good time.

Have fun.

You, sir, should start doing reviews here on the forum of tanks that you like.  +1 from me, but only because they only allow one vote per person or you'd be getting a LOT more from me. :great::honoring:

Shortcult #6 Posted Apr 09 2018 - 14:29

Major

• Players
  • 37752 battles
K FTW!

madogthefirst #7 Posted Apr 09 2018 - 14:52

Major

• Players
  • 24624 battles
  • [GFLC] GFLC
The Pz III is in every way but gun better than the IIIE. The only thing making the Pz III a bad tank is that horrible gun pen.

Perdikkas #8 Posted Apr 10 2018 - 18:33

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 16599 battles
Thanks everybody!!

PipeMajor #9 Posted Jun 13 2018 - 21:26

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 22444 battles
Hey Guys!  Keep it quiet!  If WOT hears how good this tank is they'll nerf it.  So, yeah, everybody...  It's a terrible tank!

PanzerGruppenstaffe #10 Posted Aug 26 2018 - 07:13

Captain

• Players
  • 47402 battles

View PostMerc_Scar, on Apr 09 2018 - 12:29, said:

First run through.

Equipment wise.

So personally.

Large Repair kit.

Large Med. kit.

Have fun.

Great write up but, Mentor is useless especially as compared to 6th sense.

Train your crew first on repairs, then go 6th Sense asap for your commander while training repairs again for him and camo for the rest of the crew, imo. Then reset to BIA for everyone after the second skill is complete.

6th Sense will save more newbie lives than anything else.

Edited by PanzerGruppenstaffe, Aug 26 2018 - 16:09.

Trakks #11 Posted Jun 17 2019 - 08:39

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 3801 battles
I only played the III J long enough to unlock all the unique modules then moved to the VK 20.01 D to unlock the Pz. III/IV. It just seemed to work better that way. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users