• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

MiddleAgedNoob #1 Posted Apr 10 2018 - 21:35

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 10404 battles
  • [MARV] MARV

Hi All,

I'm a mediocre at best pubbie thinking about trying more organized play.  I don't feel ready to commit to a clan, even if one would have me, so I am thinking about offering myself as a legionnaire at T6.  Any advice before I jump in?  One question off the bat, is discord or ts pretty much required?  I'm playing on a potato that's not set up for it, but might be willing to lash out on a cheap headset if that's what's necessary.

A second would be, what tanks?  At T6, I usually run a Type 64 or a T37 .  I also have a T34-85, a Rudy (will buy the t34-85m when it goes on sale later this month) and B/Cromwells, although the crews aren't great and I don't play them as much.  Working on researching the Easy8.  I've other T6's researched, including both German non-premium TDs, but don't currently own them.

Thanks in advance.

GLHF

dominator_98 #2 Posted Apr 10 2018 - 21:50

Major

• -Players-
  • 18950 battles
  • [NUFFS] NUFFS

Nobody's going to require you to have a mic as a legionairre, but TS and/or Discord is essential depending on what the clan uses. They're both free and require practically no processing power. No reason to not have them both.

For tier 6, the Type 64 will always be the best, no need to buy anything else, although the Cromwell B and 85M are used a lot. For tier 8, all you need is an IS-3, although a Defender or Patriot will earn you more credits.

Recommendations for getting into a good skirmish: Get your PR up. When people pick random legionairres, PR is the only stat that matters. The best way to get that up is increase your average damage per game, which is pretty easy to do just by playing more high tiers. The best time of day would probably be from 6-10 central time, as there are fewer detachments up outside this timeframe, and finding a spot is harder. 

Also, try to join a detachment that's got 2-3 slots open, to improve your odds of getting in. If there's only one spot, odds are good there's a guy with a better PR in there, and if there's more than 3 open spots, it's gonna take a while for them to fill up.

Try to avoid teams that run heavies, because they tend to have slower games (which means less credits per hour) and they also lose more because they can easily be outflanked on the vast majority of maps.

Welcome to the competitive side of World of Tanks!

Maxus_Rennix #3 Posted Apr 10 2018 - 21:50

Sergeant

• Players
  • 22470 battles
  • [VAHLA] VAHLA

TS and Discord are usually required, though some use the ingame voice chat.

Mostly it just comes down to listening to the caller, and doing what they say.

Of course having good crews is important so you might want to grind your crews a bit.

Also might need to make sure you learn key map locations and how to use your tank of choice in those locations.

Past that it's mostly having the tanks the caller wants, and knowing how to use them in a group with your team properly.

xrays_ #4 Posted Apr 10 2018 - 22:19

Major

• Players
  • 46360 battles
  • [FELOW] FELOW

View Postdominator_98, on Apr 10 2018 - 15:50, said:

Nobody's going to require you to have a mic as a legionairre, but TS and/or Discord is essential depending on what the clan uses. They're both free and require practically no processing power. No reason to not have them both.

For tier 6, the Type 64 will always be the best, no need to buy anything else, although the Cromwell B and 85M are used a lot. For tier 8, all you need is an IS-3, although a Defender or Patriot will earn you more credits.

Recommendations for getting into a good skirmish: Get your PR up. When people pick random legionairres, PR is the only stat that matters. The best way to get that up is increase your average damage per game, which is pretty easy to do just by playing more high tiers. The best time of day would probably be from 6-10 central time, as there are fewer detachments up outside this timeframe, and finding a spot is harder. 

Also, try to join a detachment that's got 2-3 slots open, to improve your odds of getting in. If there's only one spot, odds are good there's a guy with a better PR in there, and if there's more than 3 open spots, it's gonna take a while for them to fill up.

Try to avoid teams that run heavies, because they tend to have slower games (which means less credits per hour) and they also lose more because they can easily be outflanked on the vast majority of maps.

All fantastic points, well written!

As to the original post... Try to have some fun. Tier VI Strongholds are really about quick matches and earning some credits. With Clan boosts active, a single player can easily earn over a million in profits for each hour (10-15 matches at Tier VI) of activity, perhaps even more, running Premium tanks. Winning and losing isn't terribly important so just enjoy the experience, and try to learn what it takes to work as a group. If you have a caller, listen and react accordingly. Some groups don't even run calls, they just roll out and swarm naturally. Either way, working as a team focused on the same goal is one of the most entertaining parts of this game.

x.

Bob_5000 #5 Posted Apr 10 2018 - 23:08

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 32632 battles

Yeah you dont need a mic to have TS or Discord. Obviously you wont be able to talk, but not having a mic doesnt mean you cant have either of those 2. And you should also be fine with the type 64, especially if you dont have 6th sense on the cromwell. 

View Postdominator_98, on Apr 10 2018 - 12:50, said:

^Tier 6 btw. Tier 8 and 10 are mix comps. 

Hellsfog #6 Posted Apr 10 2018 - 23:34

Major

• Players
  • 32179 battles
  • [D-O-S] D-O-S
All good points.  The only thing to add is that there are many training clans out there that run T6 strongholds.  Consider one of them to get your feet wet.  

MiddleAgedNoob #7 Posted Apr 11 2018 - 12:32

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 10404 battles
  • [MARV] MARV

Thanks everyone for all the good advice.  I played a few games last night as a legionnaire and it was a good experience.  I found my team mates friendly and encouraging; a nice change from the usual chat. 

TeamSpeak was essential, it was a condition for playing in some detachments.  My Bromwell was more in demand than was my Type 64.  The wait time to be picked up was a bit long, but once accepted, I could often stay in the detachment for the next game, even if other clan members were available.

The game play was very different, obviously a lot more team work and tactics.  The smaller teams made a big difference.  It was very unlike pubbie games.  I just wish that my teams and I had done better,  I am looking forward to doing better next time.

Thanks again.

GLHF

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users