Japanese superheavies comparison by tier (O-I Exp. and O-I)

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

guynodens #1 Posted Apr 13 2018 - 05:05

Corporal

• Players
  • 10132 battles

Hey all,

I'm working my way up the Japanese heavy tree and I'm comparing them as I go. So right now, I'm looking at the O-I Exp. vs. the O-I. I never got the chance to play the O-I Exp. before the nerf, so this is just the current version.

Does anyone else get the feeling that, tier-for-tier, the O-I Exp. is better? I'm enjoying playing the O-I, but I feel like it's worse in many ways. The bad mobility is even worse, the slow turret traverse is even worse. Honestly, it feels like 900 hp at tier 6 is less than 700 at tier 5, and the same goes for the armor. I feel that the 125 mm or so the O-I Exp. gets at tier 5 is a lot scarier to tier 5 and 4 opponents than the 150mm the O-I gets is to tier 6 opponents, and forget tier 7 and 8. While I've had games pretty frequently with the O-I where I block damage well, i feel like I die much faster in it than I did in the O-I Exp. Just for comparison, I feel like the "good" penetration that a lot of tanks had at tier 5 was around 125mm, which kind of struggles to pen the O-I exp. Comparatively, the 170 or so penetration common at tier 6 pens the O-I more easily.

In terms of guns I think the O-I is definitely more adaptable. The O-I Exp. felt like it needed the howitzer, while i do think that the O-I can work well with either gun it gets. The 7.5 cm guns on the O-I Exp. felt like they needed a more mobile tank that could use terrain and track targets faster. However, I still feel like the O-I Exp. is better, because I feel like the howitzer it gets is a better gun for the tier. Its reload isn't too killer and the tank's better depression and traverse speeds mean it can brawl more effectively. With the O-I's howitzer, its reload is so slow that i have a hard time dealing with threats on my own, given how long i have to wait between shots. The O-I Exp. definitely feels like it handles solo situations a lot better.

Back to the adaptability though, to the O-I's credit its 10 cm gun is a lot more flexible than the O-I Exp. with the howitzer. I'm actually able to hit moving targets, I can fight outside of 100m range, etc. This is a nice change, as I did have plenty of games in the O-I Exp. where I'd die before I could do much, the howitzer being incapable of hitting tanks that were far away and/or peeking for a second at a time. The O-I can hit those hill-climbers and corner-peekers that the O-I Exp. couldn't due to it's slow shell velocity.

The howitzer on the O-I is fun, but I always feel like it makes me depend on allies and luck much more. The trade-off is the big gun can splash tier 7 and 8's much better, but then the O-I Exp. never had to face tier 8's, which I feel are scarier to the O-I than tier 7's are to the O-I Exp.

Overall I feel conflicted because I feel like O-I SHOULD be just as good if not better, but I'm not getting it yet. Thoughts or comments?

Edited by guynodens, Apr 13 2018 - 05:22.

OLDIRTYBOMBER #2 Posted Apr 13 2018 - 05:13

Captain

• Players
  • 13145 battles
  • [DONKY] DONKY

The oi exp used to be good/OP. now its garbage. Not even worth playing after the nerf.

The O I is good/keeper. I haven't tried the derp on it yet.

guynodens #3 Posted Apr 13 2018 - 05:23

Corporal

• Players
  • 10132 battles
Edited with more bits about armor.

SkaerKrow #4 Posted Apr 13 2018 - 05:37

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 17407 battles
Neither tank is good, at this point. The O-I Exp. gets easier matchmaking, but is abysmal when uptiered. The O-I can at least fall back on derp memes, but honestly the KV-2 still seems to be a better platform for that. 

TornadoADV #5 Posted Apr 13 2018 - 05:39

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 28980 battles
  • [ESC] ESC
The O-I Exp lost it's worth when they took away it's 100mm gun and 20mm of butt armor, not to mention it can no longer see Tier 3s. O-I is where it's at.

DarlingInTheTanxxUwU #6 Posted Apr 13 2018 - 05:46

Major

• Players
  • 28991 battles
  • [SNPAI] SNPAI

How to play jap heavies, especially at tier 7+ where the derp guns get pretty accurate (works at low tiers too):

Run the derp gun, and trade shots 1 for 1. Your ability to do damage with every shot regardless of whether they are sidescraping or not means you should do decent damage if you can drag the fight out over two minutes. You make the fight last this long by picking a rock/building to sidescrape off of that is a decent distance away so the enemy won't rush you. Also try to have teammates (so the enemy won't rush you). The fact that half of the shots that hit you will bounce, and the fact that you can do damage to sidescraping superheavies +2 tiers means that if you can make a 1:1 shot trading brawl last 2-3 minutes before being rushed or killing everything, you'll have done pretty well in regard to damage.

Also, be sure to focus things you can pen like Skorpion G's and light tanks. Doing 900 instead of ~400 really boosts the damage numbers.

Side note: With a 100% crew and rammer, the 20 second reload on the O-I should be just fine if you keep cover and/or an ally nearby. Worth it for the ability to 1-shot lots of tier 6 and some tier 7 tanks.

DarlingInTheTanxxUwU #7 Posted Apr 13 2018 - 05:52

Major

• Players
  • 28991 battles
  • [SNPAI] SNPAI

View PostTornadoADV, on Apr 12 2018 - 22:39, said:

The O-I Exp lost it's worth when they took away it's 100mm gun and 20mm of butt armor, not to mention it can no longer see Tier 3s. O-I is where it's at.

The thing that made the O-I EXP so strong was the fact that it could meet tier 3, 1-shot them, and few tier 3s could pen it anywhere. Taking away seeing tier 3 was a big nerf, not to mention the actual nerf. I get why they did it, now the playstyle fits the line, but it would have been nice to keep either the speed or the gun. Not that I would have kept playing it without the gun.

guynodens #8 Posted Apr 13 2018 - 07:04

Corporal

• Players
  • 10132 battles

View Postdominator_98, on Apr 13 2018 - 05:46, said:

How to play jap heavies, especially at tier 7+ where the derp guns get pretty accurate (works at low tiers too):

Run the derp gun, and trade shots 1 for 1. Your ability to do damage with every shot regardless of whether they are sidescraping or not means you should do decent damage if you can drag the fight out over two minutes. You make the fight last this long by picking a rock/building to sidescrape off of that is a decent distance away so the enemy won't rush you. Also try to have teammates (so the enemy won't rush you). The fact that half of the shots that hit you will bounce, and the fact that you can do damage to sidescraping superheavies +2 tiers means that if you can make a 1:1 shot trading brawl last 2-3 minutes before being rushed or killing everything, you'll have done pretty well in regard to damage.

Also, be sure to focus things you can pen like Skorpion G's and light tanks. Doing 900 instead of ~400 really boosts the damage numbers.

Side note: With a 100% crew and rammer, the 20 second reload on the O-I should be just fine if you keep cover and/or an ally nearby. Worth it for the ability to 1-shot lots of tier 6 and some tier 7 tanks.

That's pretty much the strategy I used on the O-I Exp. I just feel that because the O-I Exp. has a much shorter reload and better maneuverability, it's better at it.

scottie_ #9 Posted Apr 13 2018 - 09:40

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 33645 battles
  • [-54-] -54-

View PostSkaerKrow, on Apr 13 2018 - 04:37, said:

Neither tank is good, at this point. The O-I Exp. gets easier matchmaking, but is abysmal when uptiered. The O-I can at least fall back on derp memes, but honestly the KV-2 still seems to be a better platform for that.

I stopped grinding the O-I last year after getting frustrated with the speed of the tank, too many games where I never made it to the battle.

For the O-I experimental I preferred the top gun since it worked for sniping and brawling.  Haven't tried the O-I in 1.0  meta, maybe I should try it again.

Edited by scottie_, Apr 13 2018 - 09:41.

sleeper_agent #10 Posted Apr 13 2018 - 15:54

Major

• Players
  • 42282 battles

All great info for when I try my hand with Japanese tanks.

keep it comin'

Hurk #11 Posted Apr 13 2018 - 17:40

Major

• Players
  • 59973 battles
  • [KGR] KGR

View PostOLDIRTYBOMBER, on Apr 12 2018 - 21:13, said:

The oi exp used to be good/OP. now its garbage. Not even worth playing after the nerf.

The O I is good/keeper. I haven't tried the derp on it yet.

View PostSkaerKrow, on Apr 12 2018 - 21:37, said:

if these are your ideas of garbage tanks, you must both be exclusive maus/T67 players. 

both are still OP, even post nerf. no they arent the stupid OP tanks they once were, and thats good, but they need more nerfs to be balanced. 

Gtraxeman #12 Posted Apr 13 2018 - 18:19

Captain

• Players
  • 44407 battles
  • [DHO6] DHO6
Great post by dominator_98, but usually in the OI, its all or nothing. You will have a very good game for every three not so good games.
The OI is much better than OIexp tier for tier. The derp is fun, when you can shoot more than a few times in a game.

QuicksilverJPR #13 Posted Apr 13 2018 - 20:57

Major

• Players
  • 30256 battles
  • [RPG] RPG

I liked playing the O-I plenty.

Was actually a fun overall tank.

Trauglodyte #14 Posted Apr 13 2018 - 21:08

Major

• Players
  • 28690 battles
  • [GSH] GSH
I loved the O-I Experimental but, now, it is just garbage.  Though, I can't stand the O-I now either.  I hated the Mauschen, because of the lack of speed.  So, why do that with a derpy gun?

Jrbn1106 #15 Posted Apr 20 2018 - 20:24

Private

• Players
  • 19987 battles
The O-1 Exp was over nerfed. I do believe that it was over powered but the degree it was nerfed makes it so unplayable. 1 its now slow so forget it if there are hills on the map. 2 MM put you in mainly tier 7 games so the armour on it sucks having to be in  higher tier battles and with having mainly being stuck in tier 7 battles 3. the only gun you can use is the 7.5 type 5 due to not being able to get out of an open field at the start of the game. I wish they would take another look at it and at least add more speed so you can get into an area that you can use the 12 in a close quarter fight and not get killed 15 seconds in from being scouted in the open trying to get to a place where heavies are supposed to be fighting.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users