Moving Crews Around From Premium Tanks

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

xPALEHORSEx #1 Posted Apr 15 2018 - 20:11

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 2473 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

The info I see seems somewhat ambiguous, so if possible maybe some of the community can clarify for me.

I have a premium tank with a crew I'm training right now,. I have the crew trained with two skills perks each.

From what I understand, I can move this crew in and out other premium tanks within the same class without any penalty whatsoever. But what about other tanks within the same country and same class? Can I move the crew from a Pz. T25 into say a  VK 30.01 (D) AND back to the Pz. T25 without penalty?

I'm busting my tail trying to grind a crew or two and I saw a video that stated you could move premium crew from tank to tank in order to take advantage things like 5X XP weekend and he mentioned moving them from premium tank to tech tree tanks but wasn't real clear if there is a penalty.

If there is a penalty for moving it back to the premium what is it??

Blackhorse_One_ #2 Posted Apr 15 2018 - 20:16

Captain

• -Players-
  • 3763 battles
  • [HHT] HHT

You can freely move crews back & forth between Premium tanks of the same class, and back & forth between a Premium tank and a Grinder of the same class.

You cannot move assigned crews back & forth between Grinders of any class without a penalty for not having been trained for the vehicle they land in.

Savvy ?

Edited by Blackhorse_One_, Apr 15 2018 - 20:24.

xPALEHORSEx #3 Posted Apr 15 2018 - 20:22

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 2473 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostBlackhorse_One_, on Apr 15 2018 - 13:16, said:

You can freely move crews back and forth between Premium tanks of the same class, and to from a Grinder of the same class, so long as the Grinder crew operates it's own vehicle, ie, you cannot move a crew between Grinders in the same class.

Now see here is where it gets ambiguous to me. Are you saying that you can move a crew from a premium tank to a grinder (I'm assuming a tank from the tree) and back to the premium tank without penalty, but the crew from the grinder can't operate another vehicle while the premium crew is in the grinder tank?

Vardeman #4 Posted Apr 15 2018 - 20:23

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 42584 battles
  • [56TH] 56TH

View PostxPALEHORSEx, on Apr 15 2018 - 14:11, said:

The info I see seems somewhat ambiguous, so if possible maybe some of the community can clarify for me.

I have a premium tank with a crew I'm training right now,. I have the crew trained with two skills perks each.

From what I understand, I can move this crew in and out other premium tanks within the same class without any penalty whatsoever. But what about other tanks within the same country and same class? Can I move the crew from a Pz. T25 into say a  VK 30.01 (D) AND back to the Pz. T25 without penalty?

I'm busting my tail trying to grind a crew or two and I saw a video that stated you could move premium crew from tank to tank in order to take advantage things like 5X XP weekend and he mentioned moving them from premium tank to tech tree tanks but wasn't real clear if there is a penalty.

If there is a penalty for moving it back to the premium what is it??

What you do is:

1. Train the crew to a tech-tree tank.

2. Move the crew to the barracks.

3. Move the crew to your premium tank.

4.Fight with them in the premium tank.

5. Move the crew back to the tech-tree tank via the barracks (or there's a mod that lets you auto-move the crew back and forth).

6. Fight with them in the tech-tree tank.

7. Lather/Rinse/Repeat.

This can be done with the same crew in multiple premium tanks.  Just keep them trained for the tech-tree tank.  When you sell that tech-tree tank, make sure you keep the crew in the barracks and retrain them for the next tank in the tech-tree.

Happy tanking!

General_Lee_Miserable #5 Posted Apr 15 2018 - 20:24

Major

• -Players-
  • 9872 battles

View PostBlackhorse_One_, on Apr 15 2018 - 20:16, said:

You can freely move crews back and forth between Premium tanks of the same class, and to from a Grinder of the same class, so long as the Grinder crew operates it's own vehicle, ie, you cannot move a crew between Grinders in the same class.

This.

For example. Lets say you have the French Amx 13 105 tier 10 tech tree light tank, the Amx 13 57 premium, and the Amx ELC EVEN 90 premium. As long as the crew is trained to the tech tree tank, the crew can move freely between all 3 as much as you want. BUT, you cannot move the crew to the tier 9 AMX 13 90, without penalty, because it's a tech tree tank and the crew is not trained to that vehicle. 

WG is on record saying they are going to revamp how this works. 

Edited by General_Lee_Miserable, Apr 15 2018 - 20:26.

xPALEHORSEx #6 Posted Apr 15 2018 - 20:29

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 2473 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostVardeman, on Apr 15 2018 - 13:23, said:

What you do is:

1. Train the crew to a tech-tree tank.

2. Move the crew to the barracks.

3. Move the crew to your premium tank.

4.Fight with them in the premium tank.

5. Move the crew back to the tech-tree tank via the barracks (or there's a mod that lets you auto-move the crew back and forth).

6. Fight with them in the tech-tree tank.

7. Lather/Rinse/Repeat.

This can be done with the same crew in multiple premium tanks.  Just keep them trained for the tech-tree tank.  When you sell that tech-tree tank, make sure you keep the crew in the barracks and retrain them for the next tank in the tech-tree.

Happy tanking!

Okay so you're saying that the crew you want to grind should/must be a crew from a tech-tree tank?

Blackhorse_One_ #7 Posted Apr 15 2018 - 20:30

Captain

• -Players-
  • 3763 battles
  • [HHT] HHT

View PostxPALEHORSEx, on Apr 15 2018 - 14:22, said:

Are you saying that you can move a crew from a premium tank to a grinder (I'm assuming a tank from the tree) and back to the premium tank without penalty ...
YES
but the crew from the grinder can't operate another vehicle while the premium crew is in the grinder tank?
They cannot operate another Grinder without a penalty for not being trained for that vehicle.
However, they CAN operate another Premium of the same class.

After gaining some experience with the training aspect of Premium tanks, many players buy their Premium tanks without crews whenever they can.

Then they simply rotate same-class Grinder crews through them.

Edited by Blackhorse_One_, Apr 15 2018 - 20:50.

xPALEHORSEx #8 Posted Apr 15 2018 - 20:41

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 2473 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostBlackhorse_One_, on Apr 15 2018 - 13:30, said:

After gaining some experience with the training aspect, many players don't buy crews for their Premium tanks  - they simply rotate same-class Grinder crews through them.

Okay, this leads me to two other questions.

What about people who buy the premium tanks with the BIA crews? What do they do to grind them? Do they just swap them from premium tank to premium tank until the train to the level they want? And what about if the want to stick that crew into a tech-tree tank after they are trained to your satisfaction?

Second what happens if you do they wrong thing, what is a penalty? Lets say I move it from one tank to another, and I want to move it back but I can't without a penalty, Do I lose my skills/perks or do I just have to use gold to retrain them back to the original tank?

Blackhorse_One_ #9 Posted Apr 15 2018 - 20:56

Captain

• -Players-
  • 3763 battles
  • [HHT] HHT

View PostxPALEHORSEx, on Apr 15 2018 - 14:41, said:

What about people who buy the premium tanks with the BIA crews? What do they do to grind them?

Typically, most players leave those crews in the Premium tank, drive the hell outta the tank to develop the crew, then transfer the crew to another, newly procured Grinder, usually of equal or higher tier. At that point, the crew is retrained for the new vehicle. Some folks train the crew for the wanted tank before they actually obtain it. Most players pay GOLD to retrain the base-levels of training to 100% for each crewman, though some may settle for lower-quality unit-level training paid for with CREDITS.

Do they just swap them from premium tank to premium tank until the train to the level they want?

There is no need to have them hop from one Premium tank to another unless you're going to change that crew's tank-class.

And what about if they want to stick that crew into a tech-tree tank after they are trained to your satisfaction?

As long as the crew is trained for the Grinder you intend to put them in, there is no problem or penalty.

You can swap them back & forth between the same-class Premium tank and the Grinder as often as you like.

Second what happens if you do they wrong thing, what is a penalty? Lets say I move it from one tank to another, and I want to move it back but I can't without a penalty, Do I lose my skills/perks or do I just have to use gold to retrain them back to the original tank?

No - all your Skills & Perks are retained at the current levels of progress. What does change is the base-qualification of each crewman while slotted in the "wrong" vehicle. When slotted in the assigned vehicle (the one he's actually trained for), each crewman's level of training will be displayed in a GOLD-colored percentage. If you trained a crewman for the "wrong" tank, then yes, he will have to trained again for the "right" tank. You can train him to 100% by paying 200 Gold for Academy-level training, or you can settle for one of two lower levels of training paid for with game credits. 

When slotted in a vehicle for which the crewman is NOT trained, his level of training will be displayed in RED, and the level of training will be reduced from the GOLD-colored percentage displayed when slotted in the vehicle for which he is actually trained. In this situation, the crewman can operate the vehicle, but it's not wise to gimp his base-level of training by sticking him in a tank for which he is not trained. IIRC, Skills & Perks DO NOT WORK in this situation.

Premium tanks are typically used to train Grinder crews at an accelerated pace and generally earn more credits and crew XP than the Grinder tanks. So, you can freely move a Grinder crew to a same-class Premium tank with no penalty other than a reduced base-level of training because they are not now operating the SPECIFIC MODEL of tank to which they are usually slotted to. When a Grinder crew is slotted in a Premium tank of the same class, their base-levels of training will be displayed in RED, but Skills & Perks DO apply, and do progress towards completion.

Edited by Blackhorse_One_, Apr 16 2018 - 04:12.

xPALEHORSEx #10 Posted Apr 15 2018 - 21:01

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 2473 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostBlackhorse_One_, on Apr 15 2018 - 13:56, said:

I know I was starting to get annoying, I apologize.

Thanks!!

Blackhorse_One_ #11 Posted Apr 15 2018 - 21:03

Captain

• -Players-
  • 3763 battles
  • [HHT] HHT

View PostxPALEHORSEx, on Apr 15 2018 - 15:01, said:

I know I was starting to get annoying, I apologize.

Thanks!!

No sweat - I apologize for the delay - I'm having script problems, so I have to baby-step what I'm trying to accomplish here

xPALEHORSEx #12 Posted Apr 15 2018 - 21:06

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 2473 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

When you do make a move and you have to pay a penalty is it gold?

And do you lose the skills/perks you have accumulated?

stevezaxx #13 Posted Apr 15 2018 - 21:23

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 37639 battles
  • [COD] COD

to MOVE a crew.... there is no penalty.

the PENALTY is in operating a crew on a non-premium tank.

Its crew numbers show in RED when you hover your pointer over them in garage

when you RETRAIN a crew to a new tank they lose points from their PRIMARY skill (commander, gunner etc.) unless you use gold to retrain/\.

however, if you have reset a crewman's skills, then retraining a crew with silver or for free, takes the penalty from their SKILLS/PERKS points

GWyatt #14 Posted Apr 15 2018 - 21:27

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 2729 battles
  • [VAN] VAN

Here's what I've found, if you get a premium tank that does not come with a crew with a skill already (like bia), dump that crew. Dismiss the premium tank crew, they will do you no good as you will still have to pay to retrain them to a tech tree tank later (although you don't lose any of the skills they have, just base experience.)

Some premium tanks crews are special, like Saban crew, don't dismiss them. If you want to use that tank as a trainer, move them to the barracks and move the crew you want to train in to it.

Premiums are good for training crews of tanks in the tech tree, of the same class, of the same nation, without penalty.

HINT: Get on the test server while it is still up and mess around with moving crews around to see exactly what is happening. The test server has everything you had from your account copied over before it went up. Doesn't cost you a dime to play around with crews, that's what I did to see the effects.

An example: I earned a T-34-85M a while back. Dismissed the 50% crew in it. It now has no crew. I move the crew from my T-34 into the T-34-85M for training. After playing a few battles, I can move them back into the tank they came from, the T-34, without having to pay a penalty.

If you do this on a weekend like this, with the x5, you can get the x5 on the T-34, then, if you haven't got the x5 on the T-34-85M yet, move that crew into the T-34-85M and get the x5 there on that same crew.

Edited by GWyatt, Apr 15 2018 - 21:30.

the_Deadly_Bulb #15 Posted Apr 15 2018 - 21:30

Major

• Players
  • 21252 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostxPALEHORSEx, on Apr 15 2018 - 12:06, said:

When you do make a move and you have to pay a penalty is it gold?

And do you lose the skills/perks you have accumulated?

I'll use the Soviet line for my example.

Player has a T-34 Med crew they want to build.

They have a T-34 85M a Rudy and a T-28E F30, as well as a KV-5 and a Churchill III

The crew from the T-34 (crew of 4) can be assigned to fight in the;

T-34 85M,  crew of 4 with the same assignments Perfect fit.

Rudy, most of the T-34 crew. Rudy has no radio OP so the RO from the T-34 can't be used in this tank. In Rudy the Commander is the RO, in the T-34 he is the gunner . Not an ideal fit for the T-34 crew. See note below.

T28E F30, T-34 crew will fit, but you need an additional RO (this tank has 2) and a dedicated Gunner. Good fit, needs extra crew members (these can be from other Soviet earned Mediums)

You can put the T-34 crew into these various Premiums and back to the T-34 again without any gold cost.

You can't put a crew from another Soviet earned tank into the T-34 either.

Crews can only be trained to operate a single earned tank at any given time.

They can be retrained (with gold) to use another earned tank in their nation, including other classes, but this always costs gold.

(edit: unless you're willing to settle for gimping your crew to 80% and regrinding to 100% to get the skills/perks back. If that's OK with you then you can use credits or even go freemium and do it the hard way)

You can put them into the Church III or KV-5 without cost too, but they will not perform well. There is no advantage to doing this. Avoid this practice.

You need to be aware that some tanks of the same class do not always have the same crew configuration. This can be an important consideration when buying Premium tanks.

Note about Rudy.

Rudy comes with a zero skill, BIA crew. This crew arrangement is poor in the lower tier Soviet Meds but will be a perfect fit in some of the higher tier Soviet Mediums.

I saved the crew in the Rudy and played them mostly in the Rudy until I unlocked the T-54. I then retrained the Rudy crew for the T-54 (perfect fit) and now they have both of those to train in.

I also have the members of that crew in the positions they can fill on some of my other Soviet Medium Premiums.

Rudy is a less than ideal low tier Soviet Med trainer, but syncs well with many Soviet Meds beginning in T-VII

Edited by the_Deadly_Bulb, Apr 15 2018 - 22:00.

stevezaxx #16 Posted Apr 15 2018 - 21:41

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 37639 battles
  • [COD] COD

View Postthe_Deadly_Bulb, on Apr 15 2018 - 15:30, said:

They can be retrained (with gold) to use another tank in their nation, including other classes, but this always costs gold.

retraining has THREE options, you can use gold, or silver or even for free....

only changing a crewman's specialization (for example a radioman to a commander) is gold only.

the_Deadly_Bulb #17 Posted Apr 15 2018 - 21:56

Major

• Players
  • 21252 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View Poststevezaxx, on Apr 15 2018 - 12:41, said:

retraining has THREE options, you can use gold, or silver or even for free....

only changing a crewman's specialization (for example a radioman to a commander) is gold only.

True, but you will not be retraining to 100%

You will in effect be downgrading your crew and making that crew perform as if they are green until you grind them back from 80 - 90%.

Seems a bit pointless to move a developed crew into a new tank and then gimp them to only 80% to save the few dollars in gold, but to each their own.

Fixed it for you, more clarity now. :honoring:

Edited by the_Deadly_Bulb, Apr 15 2018 - 22:01.

Grampy #18 Posted Apr 15 2018 - 22:09

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 22909 battles
  • [CS7AO] CS7AO

You can move a grinder crew of a certain type of tank into a premium tank of that same category and that crew will function at 100%, and also earn skill points faster than normal. If you move a premium crew of a certain type of tank (which is trained/dedicated to that premium tank) into a non-premium tank, they will not function at 100% in that tank, nor earn points faster.

Aside from being more profitable, one of the main reasons for having a Premium tank is to build up the Experience, Skills & Perks of grinder crews faster.

For Instance: In my own American medium line, I have an M4A2E4, a RAM II, an M4 Improved, the M4A3E8 Fury, & the M46 Patton KR, all Premium tanks. None of them have their own dedicated crew. (Well, one does, because I messed up. I am keeping those guys in the barracks until I get another American medium grinder to put them in) I have a M4A3E2 Sherman Jumbo grinder with its own crew, and that crew gets circulated among all the premium tanks, which gets them a lot of experience, skills & perks, etc.

In my American light line, I have the Premium T2 Light tank, the T7 Combat Car, the M22 Locust, and then the grinder M24 Chaffee. None of the premium tanks have their own dedicated crew. The Chaffee crew gets circulated amongst all the premium light tanks to enhance their skills & perks. Sometimes you have to mix and match, because some of the crews don't line up right with certain tanks. 

In my German Medium line, I have the Premium Pz.KPFw T25, Pz.KPFw IV Schmalturm, Panther M10. None of them have their own dedicated crew. The crews of the German medium grinder Panther, VK 20.01D, VK 30.02 M and VK30.01P get circulated among the German medium Premium tanks to improve their skills & perks.

In my Russian medium line, I have the T-29, A-32, and Matilda IV premiums. None of them have their own dedicated crews. The Russian medium grinders T-34, T-44, T-54 & T-62A crews get circulated amongst them.

Russian heavy premiums? Churchill III, KV-220-2, & KV-5. None of them have a crew. The crews from my IS-3 & T-150 circulate through them to improve faster.

Hopefully this will help you some. I know it took me forever before the light came on and I understood this concept, and I wasted a couple years moving crews around pointlessly and retraining them when they could have been building up their skill and perk levels much more effectively.

3nr0n #19 Posted Apr 17 2018 - 12:04

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 17169 battles
  • [K-H] K-H

I take my T44 Russian crew and play them in my T44, tech tree tank and I also recently got the T34-85M and I have the T54 proto.  I run the T44 crew in all three tanks so each day they can have training from all three.  There is no penalty to the crew when going from tank to tank since all three are Russian mediums.  AS stated before play tank return crew to barracks put crew in other tank play it and repeat process.  The T44 is the tech tree tank and that is the tank the crew is trained for and when I go up the line then retrain the crew for the new tech tree tank but they can still be used in the premium tanks without suffering a mismatch penalty.

1mp0ster #20 Posted Apr 17 2018 - 15:47

Captain

• -Players-
  • 36452 battles
  • [NVRDI] NVRDI

These people's repiies have horribly ambiguous language. It is probably easiest with an example

A 100% American medium tank Commander can command in any American tank.

He will have 100% on all American medium premium tanks and the specific tank to which he is trained.

He will be 75% on all other American mediums.

He will be 50% for all other American vehicles.

He cannot use other nations' vehicles.

You can change crew members from  one vehicle to another for no gold/credit costs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users