Best WW2 Country? (Poll)

ww2 world war two tank poll best world of tanks country

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

Poll: Best WW2 Country (155 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 100 battles in order to participate this poll.

Which is the best WW2 Country?

1. France (That B1 Tho) (4 votes [2.58%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.58%

2. Germany (Panzers, Tigers, Hetzers, etc.) (66 votes [42.58%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 42.58%

3. America (All hail the Sherman (and the M3 Lee)) (36 votes [23.23%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.23%

4. Britain (Matilda, Churchill, Grant, Sherman III) (4 votes [2.58%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.58%

5. Russia (KV-1, JS-3, T-34) (42 votes [27.10%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.10%

6. Japan (Chi-He, Chi-Ro, Chi-To, Chucky Chi) (1 vote [0.65%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 0.65%

7. Italy (Carro Pesante and other paper armor tanks) (2 votes [1.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.29%

Vote Hide poll

Red_Ensign #21 Posted Apr 16 2018 - 10:27

Major

• Players
  • 7328 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View Post_Red_Saaryn_, on Apr 15 2018 - 23:04, said:

to me is germany, good tanks, they outsmarted all nations, there was an ace tanker who drove a tiger and could take out convoys of any nation by snipping at them, taking out the first tank of the line then the last one. It wasn't a matter of he using a tiger because he did it with a stug as well and was amazing, people even today try to claim that their nation took him out the f**** cowards could only kill him with a huge ambush from all sides, planes, tanks and artillery...they didn't had the balls to go hand to hand with him. 

You will not see any other ace tanker like him 

he drove across an open field like a noob.  his last words were probably 'it's rigged'.

I_QQ_4_U #22 Posted Apr 16 2018 - 12:51

Major

• -Players-
  • 18692 battles

I assume you mean in reality?

The best tank of the war was the M4. Mobile, effective armour and armament, low cost manufacture, dependable, easy to maintain and could take on 95% of the enemy tanks if needed. Remeber they had to move these tanks across an ocean in mass quantities, have fun doing that with something the size of a Tiger. Plus the allies were mostly on the offensive, they needed mobile tanks, not slow moving pilllboxes like, the Germans needed due to be on the defensive. The 'Ronson' nickname is over exaggerated, they actually didn't light on fire very often due to gas fires, it was the ammo racks going off that was the problem and that was reduced greatly by the introduction of wet stowage. M3's were actually appreciated, especially by the Brits in Africa for having the 75mm, M5's and M24's were excellent light tanks, the M10, M18 and M36 were effective enough but the concept of TD's was a dead end and of course the M26 would have likely had an excellent record if it had been in combat for very long.

T34 was close but it was poorly manufactured so was unreliable as well as not as easy to work on in the field, pretty much the same for every Russian tank, they made up for it in quantity and suicide tactics. Crew space was very cramped as well, Russian crews really liked the Sherman for being relatively roomy.

Most of the German tranks were crap, they just knew how to use them well, the standouts would be variants of the panzer 3 and 4, the Stugs and Panther even though it had reliability issues. The Tigers were a waste of resources, completely unreliable and difficult to support, they could have built 4 Pz.IV's for every Tiger.

French tanks at the beginning of the war were by far the best in the field at the time but they had no idea how to use them. They were scattered about as support units.

Some of the Italian tanks actually were not that bad, at least early in the war.

Czech tanks were also pretty good though limited.

TankFullOfBourbon #23 Posted Apr 16 2018 - 13:01

Major

• Players
  • 27059 battles
  • [DHO6] DHO6
Bacon

I_QQ_4_U #24 Posted Apr 16 2018 - 13:02

Major

• -Players-
  • 18692 battles

View Post_Red_Saaryn_, on Apr 16 2018 - 06:04, said:

to me is germany, good tanks, they outsmarted all nations, there was an ace tanker who drove a tiger and could take out convoys of any nation by snipping at them, taking out the first tank of the line then the last one. It wasn't a matter of he using a tiger because he did it with a stug as well and was amazing, people even today try to claim that their nation took him out the f**** cowards could only kill him with a huge ambush from all sides, planes, tanks and artillery...they didn't had the balls to go hand to hand with him. 

You will not see any other ace tanker like him 

You obviously have NO idea about actual history. You do realize your Nazi hero primarily used ambush tactics just like every else? Even a Tiger tank wouldn't last long if it wasn't hidden.  By the way no planes or artillery were involved in his death, he rushed to counter attack in the open and got caught between to tank units.

1mp0ster #25 Posted Apr 16 2018 - 13:10

Captain

• -Players-
  • 37282 battles
  • [NVRDI] NVRDI
USA because we won

_Red_Saaryn_ #26 Posted Apr 16 2018 - 16:12

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 16405 battles
  • [-IKR-] -IKR-

View PostThEHaChA, on Apr 16 2018 - 08:41, said:

the b1 was a beast in real life, that armor was insane and the gun on the front of the tank(which is useless ingame) oh boi

Anyone remembers gustav?  He is back! In the shape of memes! 

Edited by _Red_Saaryn_, Apr 16 2018 - 16:14.

hardicon #27 Posted Apr 16 2018 - 16:39

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 53037 battles
  • [NUFFS] NUFFS
United States because we won.

24cups #28 Posted Apr 16 2018 - 16:41

Major

• Players
  • 23190 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY
Switzerland. They managed to stay out of it while being right in the middle of it.

Duqe #29 Posted Apr 16 2018 - 16:45

Major

• Players
  • 26223 battles
  • [BE_ER] BE_ER

View Posthardicon, on Apr 16 2018 - 16:39, said:

United States because we won.

Way to take all the credit for a cooperative effort.

OEFArmy #30 Posted Apr 16 2018 - 17:20

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 31695 battles
  • [FUSON] FUSON
The people in this thread don't get the fact that the Soviets had the IS-3 in numbers at the end of WWII.  It it wasn't for the US developing the nukes, USSR would have steamrolled Europe, most likely.  The IS-3s armor was about 20 years ahead of its time.

Edited by OEFArmy, Apr 16 2018 - 17:20.

BillT #31 Posted Apr 16 2018 - 17:24

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 27034 battles
  • [F-3] F-3

View Postboysenbeary, on Apr 15 2018 - 22:25, said:

America would've had the M26 Pershing heavy tank as well, if not for the nay-say of some ground commanders

And that tank is a beast

In the game, yes.  In reality, not so much.  For various reasons it turned out to be a turkey - especially its mobility (same engine as the M4A3, but ten tons heavier) and (as I understand it) ergonomics were a problem.   That's why they quickly upgraded and replaced with the up-engined M46 in 1948; basically just an M26 with improved engine, but with so many other changes they decided a new designation was needed.  This was purely a short-term solution pending an all-new design (the T42).  But when the Korean conflict started in 1950, it was clear the T42 would take too long to put into production, so they put its new turret on the M46 hull and called it the M47 -- another stopgap. When they started building M47s in 1951, they were already designing the M48, a completely new design which entered production in 1953.  As soon as the M48 entered production we started replacing the M47.

So basically, the M26, M46, and M47 all had very short production spans - all three only lasted from 1945 to 1953 and they were never seen as "the tank the army really needs."  Considering their contemporaries included the Centurion and T-54, they really weren't "good" tanks.

In 1950 we sent M26s, Shermans, and Chaffees to Korea, and the Shermans actually performed better because of mobility.   By 1951 all the M26s were withdrawn and replaced with M46s.. The M47 apparently never went to Korea, but was deployed instead to Europe, so it has no combat history in US hands.

FestersQuest #32 Posted Apr 16 2018 - 17:35

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 2714 battles

Best Tanks: USA

The M4 Sherman was the best tank of the war if we are talking about reliability, production value, maintenance, and durability.

Best WW2 Country: USA

If Europe was the only theater of war my vote would most definitely have been for the UK. However, the USA was a key player in both Theaters of war and while they played a smaller part in the EU, their efforts in the Pacific is what really tipped the balance for me. 

I can't say Germany/USSR as being close to "best" since their war-time ethics were deplorable and I can't support genocide. But they were certainly the two Biggest players.

OEFArmy #33 Posted Apr 16 2018 - 17:41

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 31695 battles
  • [FUSON] FUSON

View PostFestersQuest, on Apr 16 2018 - 17:35, said:

Best Tanks: USA

The M4 Sherman was the best tank of the war if we are talking about reliability, production value, maintenance, and durability.

Best WW2 Country: USA

If Europe was the only theater of war my vote would most definitely have been for the UK. However, the USA was a key player in both Theaters of war and while they played a smaller part in the EU, their efforts in the Pacific is what really tipped the balance for me. 

I can't say Germany/USSR as being close to "best" since their war-time ethics were deplorable and I can't support genocide. But they were certainly the two Biggest players.

LOL at this whole post(to the point that even providing counter-arguments is a waste of time with this particular specimen).  The American school system and MSM propaganda at its best.

Edited by OEFArmy, Apr 16 2018 - 17:43.

ThEHaChA #34 Posted Apr 16 2018 - 18:45

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 1241 battles

View Post_Red_Saaryn_, on Apr 16 2018 - 18:42, said:

Anyone remembers gustav?  He is back! In the shape of memes! 

and what does this meme has to do with my comment about the b1

_Gungrave_ #35 Posted Apr 16 2018 - 18:47

Major

• Players
  • 42920 battles
  • [X-OUT] X-OUT

View PostThEHaChA, on Apr 16 2018 - 18:45, said:

and what does this meme has to do with my comment about the b1

Nothing, memes don't need context to post them.

Verblonde #36 Posted Apr 16 2018 - 18:58

Major

• -Players-
  • 17996 battles
  • [FUNTB] FUNTB

Best tank: T-34, with Sherman a close second; in both cases, they were easy for their respective nations to produce in serious quantity (and they did), and straightforward to update as conditions changed. T-34 gets it because it was fundamentally a better design, despite being clunkingly basic in a lot of respects.

Everyone will have their own personal favourites, but the T-34 and Sherman were the tank designs that won the war; yeah, Centurion was one-on-one miles better than both, but never saw combat (as far as I know), Pershing was irrelevant to the outcome of the war, ditto IS3, Panther was great on paper, but as we all know, lack of materials etc knackered that design... and so on ad infinitum.

Duqe #37 Posted Apr 16 2018 - 19:27

Major

• Players
  • 26223 battles
  • [BE_ER] BE_ER

View PostVerblonde, on Apr 16 2018 - 18:58, said:

Best tank: T-34

First time anyone in history has said this, and nobody credible to this point.

The T-34 was as dangerous to the people just sitting inside it, as it was to anyone being shot by that gun.

Verblonde #38 Posted Apr 16 2018 - 19:44

Major

• -Players-
  • 17996 battles
  • [FUNTB] FUNTB

View PostDuqe, on Apr 16 2018 - 13:27, said:

First time anyone in history has said this, and nobody credible to this point.

The T-34 was as dangerous to the people just sitting inside it, as it was to anyone being shot by that gun.

That'll be why the German army (clearly notable incompetents in matters pertaining to panzers) simply requested that they be given a clone of the T-34; they never made the same request of the Sherman (as far as I know).

There was plenty wrong with the T-34 (no radios in most of the early ones, for example), but they were reliable, very easy to produce in massive quantities, and anyone (more or less) could drive one, especially when a lot of your recruits are from an agricultural background; throw in a good gun (for the time), and sloped armour, and you have something pretty remarkable.

I take the term 'best tank' to mean the one most likely to win you the war (or did win you the war in this case) as an overall package; in which case, it's the T-34, with the Sherman a reasonably close second. The war in Europe was essentially won and lost on the Eastern front, with the T-34 the most significant design in any army.

If you want to get into the 'best' individual design of WW2, it's probably the Centurion, but that was worthless by the first definition (none of them saw combat)...

ThEHaChA #39 Posted Apr 16 2018 - 20:03

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 1241 battles

View Post_Gungrave_, on Apr 16 2018 - 21:17, said:

Nothing, memes don't need context to post them.

no, because that will be sh*tpost

Blackstone #40 Posted Apr 16 2018 - 20:12

Captain

• -Players-
  • 17352 battles
  • [-IGC-] -IGC-

View PostDuqe, on Apr 16 2018 - 02:15, said:

By that definition, the M1 Abrams is a garbage tank, since its engine is redundantly complex (even though the idea is simple) and unnecessary, and the cause of the majority of breakdowns.

I can tell you from being a former tank crewman, our M1s were rarely down. When the first production M1s came out, they were having break downs because the training on the daily and weekly maintenance was poor. Clean out the air filters every few days, check the fluid levels, and the tracks (tension, worn pads, etc) and you're good to go. The big one is the air filters. M1 has a gas turbine engine, not a diesel or gas. It sucks up alot of dust, so the filters must be cleaned every couple of days or so, depending on the conditions. In eight years of being a tanker, I only had one go down due a transmission problem (wouldn't engage), but nothing engine related. As far as the transmission...ugh. We had to get a wrecker out to tow us and sit in the landing zone for two days while they removed the engine pack. Even that was form what I understand was very rare. All in all,M1 is very reliable from a maintenance standpoint. Now the Soviet tanks....lol!

Also tagged with ww2, world, war, two, tank, poll, best, world of tanks, country

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users