60 replies to this topic

DomoSapien #1 Posted Apr 17 2018 - 01:12

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 13723 battles
  • [WGA] WGA

Hey Tankers! Welcome to Map Monday.
Our Map for the Week: Glacier!

This map Features a large frozen body of water, with a small snowbank forming a ridgeline for hull-down play in the center,a warship graveyard in the North for close-quarters brawling, as well as a frozen field featuring a scenic mountain road flanking route in the South.

Check out the music video featuring Glacier's majestic Orchestral Score and enjoy some frigid scenery below.

So let's talk strategy.

The North

As a general rule of thumb, your close-range brawlers will typically gravitate towards the North, to fight around the carrier and the shipwrecks to the North, which offer plenty of cover and opportunities for sidescraping.
Eyes on your minimap! This is a risky flank as each firing lane will leave you exposed to enemy fire from other lanes.

About the Aircraft Carrier: 

A bold play up the Aircraft Carrier will favor vehicles with better mobility and hull-down characteristics, as the steep incline will leave vehicles with even the strongest Gun Depression struggling to find shots. Driving up the carrier is a high-risk play with a potentially low return, depending on whether you will be able to spot targets once you get there.

North Side Firing Lanes

The Middle

Glacier offers a good variety of flex play for Lights and Mediums. Both sides can push the middle and contest the main snowbank, however keep in mind that you do not have the view range to completely spot all the TD’s which may be lurking behind cover near the enemy spawn; unless you have excellent view range and mobility, think twice before pushing up the snowbank!

That said however, the occasional bold play up to the rock on the Southeast side of the snowbank does offer coverage of virtually the entire southeast side

Spotting Opportunities in the Middle

The South

If you are in a close-range brawler such as a Heavy, Assault TD, or Hulldown Medium, it’s possible to slow push the mountain road in the Southeast, at the risk of exposing your flank to enemy fire from the village and lower defilade on the South side. The mountain road is situationally viable for Stealthy TD’s as well, since it offers quite a few sniping locations with ample hard cover + foliage.

Keep in mind, you are in a corner of the map! The maximum render range will only allow you to see about halfway up the snowbank in the middle of the map!

As you approach the bottom of the road on either side, you have to cross a big open field of doom to reach the enemy cap. One will often see a successful initial push crumble when reaching the last leg of the journey to the cap circle, as the spawn points are littered with bushes and potential sniper’s nests where Snipers (TD’s, Support Heavies) can set up for a surprise attack.

Southeast Firing Lanes

Defending Base:

If you’re going to defend base: Keep in mind that not all cover spots in spawn are as useful as they may appear. Several locations will not present you with any opportunities to fire at enemy targets until lategame.

As a rule of thumb, deploying in a way where you will not be able to make a difference until after you lose a flank is planning for failure. Instead of waiting for a flank to crumble, take an aggressive early location but fall back early! That way you can keep firing until they’re pushing your base. The longer you stay alive, the more influence you can have on the course of the game.

Potential Base-Defense pitfalls:

Finally, some tips from the community:

JunkersHiryu’s first impressions of Glacier (paraphrased from memory. Correct me if I’m wrong on anything, Junkers!)

JunkersHiryu

The North Flank seems like a fool’s push. You’re exposed to a lot of enemy fire from spawn after turning either corner of the Aircraft Carrier. This seems more like a flank that you send tanks to hold, rather than a flank where you should be committing your main push.

You’ll probably almost always want to stay out of the middle. There’s not much you can do from the ice, and you can take fire from so many different locations.
For the most part, the mountain road seems to be the most effective place to bunker down and snipe enemy targets from behind all that foliage. Pushing will likely be along the South Flank in general, but take care when pushing cap as you are exposed to sniper fire when approaching the Cap Circle on either side, from every lane.

For more strategies, guides, vehicle reviews, and general tanking info, tune into JunkersHiryu's Twitch Stream (Typically starting at 2PM PT on Weekdays, also streaming on the Wargaming NA Twitch Channel on Saturdays)

Visual General Map Guide

MAP KEY/LEGEND

Big thanks to u/Playmorekv1 on Reddit for inspiring this visual representation! A few small tweaks were made by me in hopes of clarity, but many of these locations are taken directly from u/Playmorekv1’s map guides. You can check out some more of their map guides here and here!

Also, if you'd like to make nifty Map Diagrams of your own, check out Strat Sketch, an easy and super-useful utility for visualizing map strategies real-time. Extremely useful for planning out your Clan Wars strategies.

That just about wraps up my take on Glacier, but I'd love to hear everyone's strategies for the map as well. What are some of your favorite spots on Glacier? Any good strategies to pull off in a 2-or-3-tank platoon? Good spots to take my Swedish Siege TD's? Share your screenshots and thoughts below! 

I'd love to hear your feedback on my guide and this post in general as well! Are there any parts you particularly enjoyed and would like to see more of in future guides? Anything that could have been executed better on my end? The idea here is to get some useful information out for new and intermediate players at the get-go, which will be easy to understand. 

And in the comments below, we can share useful strategies and advanced tips so hopefully even the most skilled tankers can pick up something useful from the discussion.

Edited by DomoSapien, Apr 18 2018 - 19:35.
formatting

__WarChild__ #2 Posted Apr 17 2018 - 01:37

Major

• -Players-
  • 20831 battles
  • [Y0L0] Y0L0

OMG, who are you people and what have you done with the Wargaming NA employees?

+1

__WarChild__

LeaveIT2Beaver #3 Posted Apr 17 2018 - 02:18

Major

• -Players-
  • 31704 battles
  • [J4F] J4F

View Post__WarChild__, on Apr 16 2018 - 19:37, said:

+1

__WarChild__

__WarChild__ #4 Posted Apr 17 2018 - 02:35

Major

• -Players-
  • 20831 battles
  • [Y0L0] Y0L0

View PostLeaveIT2Beaver, on Apr 16 2018 - 19:18, said:

I honestly can't believe how this Forum is oblivious to all these Wargaming posts, explanations & answers.  This is like the best thing ever yet we're all asleep.  Strange.

Over the weekend, I was thinking to myself that I probably need to spend some time trying to figure Glacier out because I'm not liking where I'm going.  Then I see this post with maps, diagrams, background, video, etc.  Couldn't be more thankful to Wargaming right now.  Good stuff!

:great:

__WarChild__

Cognitive_Dissonance #5 Posted Apr 17 2018 - 14:18

Major

• Players
  • 39587 battles
  • [ANASS] ANASS
Great write up, nothing to add. Agree with your synopsis and Junkers.

dnaman #6 Posted Apr 17 2018 - 14:34

Captain

• Players
  • 30167 battles
  • [DBLTG] DBLTG

The route around the carrier can work well late game once the TDs are defending.  I did this last night from the north and had 6000+ damage at the end and a win because I was able to push the edge of the map and keep out of spotting until I was at the slopes near enemy cap.  My teams TDs were able to hit a few from the other side as I played peek a boom with their TDs in and around their cap.  Worked out well. 

boysenbeary #7 Posted Apr 17 2018 - 16:21

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 21257 battles
  • [-P-] -P-
Nice stuff

sleeper_agent #8 Posted Apr 17 2018 - 16:23

Major

• -Players-
  • 21317 battles

Good analysis

I learned my lesson on the risky spotting bridge too many times. When arty is in the picture its a no go zone!

DomoSapien #9 Posted Apr 17 2018 - 16:28

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 13723 battles
  • [WGA] WGA

View Post__WarChild__, on Apr 16 2018 - 18:37, said:

+1

__WarChild__

We have taken them captive. If you ever want to see your WGA staff alive again, send cookies. :izmena:

View PostCognitive_Dissonance, on Apr 17 2018 - 07:18, said:

Great write up, nothing to add. Agree with your synopsis and Junkers.

Awesome, glad we covered all the important points! 

View Postdnaman, on Apr 17 2018 - 07:34, said:

The route around the carrier can work well late game once the TDs are defending.  I did this last night from the north and had 6000+ damage at the end and a win because I was able to push the edge of the map and keep out of spotting until I was at the slopes near enemy cap.  My teams TDs were able to hit a few from the other side as I played peek a boom with their TDs in and around their cap.  Worked out well. 

Certainly, perhaps I didn't do the best job of explaining that the push can definitely be won, but only once dominance of the middle and North flanks is established. I've pushed around that corner with confidence all-too-many times with a Deathstar waiting for me on the ridge. Thanks for contributing to the discussion! :) 

I appreciate everyone chiming in. 

Nunatak73 #10 Posted Apr 17 2018 - 16:36

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 10495 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

I appreciate the effort. Gives me a few more things to think about for other tank classes that I don't frequently play.

_Gungrave_ #11 Posted Apr 17 2018 - 16:37

Major

• Players
  • 42202 battles
  • [X-OUT] X-OUT

I laughed when I saw that "Brawlers hold the line" in the northwest.

I rarely see brawlers go there as too often they go south, camp base, or needlessly sit in mid.

DomoSapien #12 Posted Apr 17 2018 - 17:14

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 13723 battles
  • [WGA] WGA

View Post_Gungrave_, on Apr 17 2018 - 09:37, said:

I laughed when I saw that "Brawlers hold the line" in the northwest.

I rarely see brawlers go there as too often they go south, camp base, or needlessly sit in mid.

Lol well my idea with that choice of words was to try and articulate that North tends to be an area to be held, rather than to be pushed. As dnaman mentioned, it's certainly possible to win that flank and successfully push base, but it definitely requires a substantial amount of map coverage. 

One of our players made a bunch of really funny songs about WoT, your comment makes this one come to mind :)

sleeper_agent #13 Posted Apr 17 2018 - 17:18

Major

• -Players-
  • 21317 battles

Do you think more battles on this map are won in the north west or south east?

Having played on both spawn sides a few times I cant really say one side has an advantage over the other so its pretty good that way!

_Gungrave_ #14 Posted Apr 17 2018 - 17:18

Major

• Players
  • 42202 battles
  • [X-OUT] X-OUT

View Post__WarChild__, on Apr 17 2018 - 02:35, said:

I honestly can't believe how this Forum is oblivious to all these Wargaming posts, explanations & answers.  This is like the best thing ever yet we're all asleep.  Strange.

Over the weekend, I was thinking to myself that I probably need to spend some time trying to figure Glacier out because I'm not liking where I'm going.  Then I see this post with maps, diagrams, background, video, etc.  Couldn't be more thankful to Wargaming right now.  Good stuff!

:great:

__WarChild__

Glacier isn't a hard map to figure out but its certainly not a fun map either.

Kevlar1972 #15 Posted Apr 17 2018 - 18:30

Major

• Players
  • 21357 battles
It plays almost identically to steppes and arctic.

Heavies have a corner, meds and lights have a corner,  middle is worthless except for some poking for spotters, tds camp base.

spud_tuber #16 Posted Apr 17 2018 - 19:09

Major

• Players
  • 51851 battles
I wish the mountain roads were wider so it was easier to share HP and engage with more than one gun at a time.  The roads are so narrow its very difficult.to even change out lead vehcile, let alone try to create local over matches.

Da_Craw #17 Posted Apr 17 2018 - 20:04

Major

• -Players-
  • 25878 battles
  • [DOG5] DOG5

View PostDomoSapien, on Apr 17 2018 - 10:14, said:

Lol well my idea with that choice of words was to try and articulate that North tends to be an area to be held, rather than to be pushed. As dnaman mentioned, it's certainly possible to win that flank and successfully push base, but it definitely requires a substantial amount of map coverage. 

One of our players made a bunch of really funny songs about WoT, your comment makes this one come to mind :)

You said there were a bunch of them?  This was great!  Where are the others?

_Gungrave_ #18 Posted Apr 17 2018 - 20:08

Major

• Players
  • 42202 battles
  • [X-OUT] X-OUT

View Postspud_tuber, on Apr 17 2018 - 19:09, said:

I wish the mountain roads were wider so it was easier to share HP and engage with more than one gun at a time.  The roads are so narrow its very difficult.to even change out lead vehcile, let alone try to create local over matches.

Its likely made that way so you don't have tons of heavies going there...not that they don't already go there anyway.

spud_tuber #19 Posted Apr 17 2018 - 20:18

Major

• Players
  • 51851 battles

View Post_Gungrave_, on Apr 17 2018 - 13:08, said:

Its likely made that way so you don't have tons of heavies going there...not that they don't already go there anyway.

So? Open it up and let the heavies chosse where to go.  The ship graveyard is boring and of little value.

_Gungrave_ #20 Posted Apr 17 2018 - 20:24

Major

• Players
  • 42202 battles
  • [X-OUT] X-OUT

View Postspud_tuber, on Apr 17 2018 - 20:18, said:

So? Open it up and let the heavies chosse where to go.  The ship graveyard is boring and of little value.

Most of the map is boring and of little value.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users