Glacier Backstory... what happened here?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

_Gungrave_ #21 Posted Apr 17 2018 - 06:21

Major

• Players
  • 42920 battles
  • [X-OUT] X-OUT

View PostMelancholic_Ghost, on Apr 17 2018 - 05:32, said:

Yes, you're right... It could also be Bismarck. Or maybe the Tirpitz?

If the map was underwater it would make sense.

FlakKnight #22 Posted Apr 17 2018 - 06:56

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 12781 battles
Glacier is an alternate future for WoWS where they add submarines, the artillery of the sea.

TankFullOfBourbon #23 Posted Apr 17 2018 - 07:23

Major

• Players
  • 27059 battles
  • [DHO6] DHO6

View PostEricmopar, on Apr 17 2018 - 06:01, said:

Have you driven over to the back side of that map?

I think you need to be more specific. The map is a square. North is up. West is the left side. South is down. And East is the right side. I don't know where the back side of the map is unless you mean the other side of the map, and if that's the case I haven't driven there because I don't know how to flip the map over so I can get to the other universe.

TankFullOfBourbon #24 Posted Apr 17 2018 - 07:42

Major

• Players
  • 27059 battles
  • [DHO6] DHO6

The map is post-apocalyptic where old battle ships have frozen into the ice after being washed ashore in the nuclear blast. Oddly, the place must be very cold but still abundant with forest, most likely the radiation has played topsy-turvy with mother nature as the most logical thing would be that the place itself also would have been burned to bits by the blast.

Another backstory could be that we are looking at one of the Russian navy's ship scuttling places. The russians have a bad habit of scuttling their ships on islands along the Arctic Ocean, from the Barents Sea in the west to the East Sibirian Sea to the east. Places like Novaya Zemlya and the Kola peninsula are riddled with cold-war burial grounds for military vessels. However, the nature in this part of the world does not match with that on the map Glacier, as we are talking about barren land where only small arctic birch trees can grow.

So, OP, no. This is not a real map of a real place based on a real event. We are still, thank God, pre-apocalyptic, and the ice cold conditions in the map's eastern part where the ships are and the fairly moderate cold found in the map's forested southern, western and northern parts are climatically impossible.

_Red_Saaryn_ #25 Posted Apr 17 2018 - 07:47

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 16405 battles
  • [-IKR-] -IKR-

View Post_Gungrave_, on Apr 17 2018 - 03:47, said:

Story is...the map sucks

The End.

No it doesnt, well. At least not if you are a light tank and manage to reach the vag first, the womb is where you fight other lights for the supremacy, if you survive you get to climb the falopian lubes and spot the entire enemy base (if you have a good light with good crew) if not you can snipe from there just right~ 

BillT #26 Posted Apr 17 2018 - 18:28

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 27034 battles
  • [F-3] F-3

This map was a collaboration between WOT, World of Warships, and Disney.  The backstory is an alternate ending to "Frozen", where instead of thawing Anna and saving her life, Elsa watches her sister shatter into a thousand pieces, and in her grief all of northern Europe freezes in a great Fimbulwinter.  This happened in 1944 during an epic battle between the US navy and German ships off the northern coast of Norway., trapping the ships in a sheet of ice that pushed them up onto the rocky shores.

Now comes Ragnarok and the time for the first of many great battles on the ice sheet!  Will the brave heroes of Valhalla carry the day, or will victory go to Loki and his army of undead cowards?

BillT #27 Posted Apr 17 2018 - 18:35

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 27034 battles
  • [F-3] F-3

View PostMajorRenegade, on Apr 16 2018 - 23:15, said:

View PostMelancholic_Ghost, on Apr 16 2018 - 23:04, said:

Is it just me, or does the ship look like the Gneisenau?

i thought it was Bismarck

They had similar lines.  IIRC the ship on the map has 2-gun turrets, so it's probably the Bismarck or Tirpitz (the latter of which spent its career in Norway).  But if it has only one stern turret, it could be the post-conversion Gneisenau.  (After he was damaged in the Channel Dash, the Germans decided to remove Gneisenau's triple 11" (28 cm) gun turrets and replace them with twin 15" (38 cm) turrets like the Bismarck's.   The work was never complete, but Gneisenau's turrets were removed and installed elsewhere as shore batteries (one of which can still be seen in Norway).

The tell-tale sign would be if you can see the ship's stern.  If it carries two turrets it's definitely Tirpitz or Bismarck.  If it only has one stern turret, it's got to be Gneisenau.

ISNomads #28 Posted Apr 17 2018 - 18:47

Major

• Players
  • 35497 battles
  • [WHAMO] WHAMO

Glacier, the map that jumped the shark in terms of anything close to a WW2 battle. At least the other maps are fairly realistic (even though the implied countries are not always realistic).

They should troll people by randomly generating soft spots in the ice that tanks could fall through.

MajorRenegade #29 Posted Apr 17 2018 - 19:03

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 29162 battles

View PostMelancholic_Ghost, on Apr 16 2018 - 23:32, said:

Yes, you're right... It could also be Bismarck. Or maybe the Tirpitz?

View PostBillT, on Apr 17 2018 - 12:35, said:

They had similar lines.  IIRC the ship on the map has 2-gun turrets, so it's probably the Bismarck or Tirpitz (the latter of which spent its career in Norway).  But if it has only one stern turret, it could be the post-conversion Gneisenau.  (After he was damaged in the Channel Dash, the Germans decided to remove Gneisenau's triple 11" (28 cm) gun turrets and replace them with twin 15" (38 cm) turrets like the Bismarck's.   The work was never complete, but Gneisenau's turrets were removed and installed elsewhere as shore batteries (one of which can still be seen in Norway).

The tell-tale sign would be if you can see the ship's stern.  If it carries two turrets it's definitely Tirpitz or Bismarck.  If it only has one stern turret, it's got to be Gneisenau.

The one showed on Glacier map have a 4 turret layout

Spoiler

while Gneisenau only have 3 turrets(2 forward and 1 back)

Spoiler

brianc53 #30 Posted Apr 17 2018 - 19:31

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 18322 battles

View PostISNomads, on Apr 17 2018 - 18:47, said:

They should troll people by randomly generating soft spots in the ice that tanks could fall through.

The first few times I played it I was actually reluctant to drive into the “ice” for fear of exactly that. 

Necrophore #31 Posted Apr 17 2018 - 19:55

Major

• Players
  • 30138 battles
  • [LONER] LONER

View PostMajorRenegade, on Apr 17 2018 - 10:03, said:

The one showed on Glacier map have a 4 turret layout

Spoiler

With that smokestack, that looks a lot like the Tirpitz. The bow looks too sharp for a Revenge-class.

TankFullOfBourbon #32 Posted Apr 17 2018 - 20:18

Major

• Players
  • 27059 battles
  • [DHO6] DHO6

View PostBillT, on Apr 17 2018 - 18:28, said:

This map was a collaboration between WOT, World of Warships, and Disney.  The backstory is an alternate ending to "Frozen", where instead of thawing Anna and saving her life, Elsa watches her sister shatter into a thousand pieces, and in her grief all of northern Europe freezes in a great Fimbulwinter.  This happened in 1944 during an epic battle between the US navy and German ships off the northern coast of Norway., trapping the ships in a sheet of ice that pushed them up onto the rocky shores.

Now comes Ragnarok and the time for the first of many great battles on the ice sheet!  Will the brave heroes of Valhalla carry the day, or will victory go to Loki and his army of undead cowards?

Since my family comes from the north of Norway, I can assure you that there are no icebergs like that, nor any forests like that. The arctic is barren.

_Gungrave_ #33 Posted Apr 17 2018 - 20:25

Major

• Players
  • 42920 battles
  • [X-OUT] X-OUT

View Post_Red_Saaryn_, on Apr 17 2018 - 07:47, said:

No it doesnt, well. At least not if you are a light tank and manage to reach the vag first, the womb is where you fight other lights for the supremacy, if you survive you get to climb the falopian lubes and spot the entire enemy base (if you have a good light with good crew) if not you can snipe from there just right~ 

Just because its fun in one class doesn't mean its a good map and besides there are quite a few maps with vantage points where you can spot the enemy base.

BillT #34 Posted Apr 17 2018 - 20:35

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 27034 battles
  • [F-3] F-3

View PostTankFullOfBourbon, on Apr 17 2018 - 14:18, said:

Since my family comes from the north of Norway, I can assure you that there are no icebergs like that, nor any forests like that. The arctic is barren.

Yet you're oddly silent on the existence of young women with the power to control the cold, Valhalla, and Loki. :-)

BillT #35 Posted Apr 17 2018 - 20:45

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 27034 battles
  • [F-3] F-3

View PostNecrophore, on Apr 17 2018 - 13:55, said:

With that smokestack, that looks a lot like the Tirpitz. The bow looks too sharp for a Revenge-class.

In WWII they came up with a German ship identification guide, cleverly set to the tune of the German folk tune "Schnitzelbank".  I can still remember much of it from memory.

Ist das nicht ein single stack?

Ja das ist ein single stack!

Tall in front, short in back,

that's a Jerry single stack!

Ist das nicht ein tower mast?

Ja das ist ein tower mast!

Short und squat, learning fast,

that's a Jerry tower mast!

Tower mast, single stack

Mast on funnel or in back.

Load der guns und let 'er rip,

Dat's a Jerry battleship!

It went on to describe smaller classes down to light cruisers.  I can't remember them all, but one was:

Ist das nicht ein stein of beer?

Hell, that ain't no stein of beer!

Turret forward, one in rear,

Lutzow or der Admiral Scheer.

Jeez... I can't remember my own phone number, but THIS I've hung on to for 30 years....

MajorRenegade #36 Posted Apr 17 2018 - 21:05

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 29162 battles

View PostNecrophore, on Apr 17 2018 - 13:55, said:

could be, but a lot of people forget that Bismarck and Tirpitz are sister ships. one have torpedoes and other don't:justwait:

Edited by MajorRenegade, Apr 17 2018 - 21:05.

TankFullOfBourbon #37 Posted Apr 17 2018 - 21:07

Major

• Players
  • 27059 battles
  • [DHO6] DHO6

View PostBillT, on Apr 17 2018 - 20:35, said:

Yet you're oddly silent on the existence of young women with the power to control the cold, Valhalla, and Loki. :-)

You are aware that Odd is a quite common man's name in Norway? Am I shying away from the question? ;)

MajorVom #38 Posted Apr 18 2018 - 00:02

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 29037 battles
Why do people keep mentioning Norway? I thought the map was set in Antarctica? Am I wrong?

MajorVom #39 Posted Apr 18 2018 - 00:07

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 29037 battles

View PostBillT, on Apr 17 2018 - 20:45, said:

In WWII they came up with a German ship identification guide, cleverly set to the tune of the German folk tune "Schnitzelbank".  I can still remember much of it from memory.

Its called the Jerry Jingle.

Ist dot nicht ein single-stack?
Ja, dot ist ein single-stack
(High in front, low in back)
Dot's a Jerry SINGLE_STACK!

Ist dot nicht ein battleship?
Nein, dot ain't no battleship.
Stack near foremast, easy seen
Dot's der HIPPER or EUGEN!

Ist dot nicht ein funny schmell?
Yah, das ist ein funny schmell.
Schpindle mast, two stacks as well
Must be Jerry's old CL.

Ist dot nicht ein tower-mast?
Ja, dot ist ein tower-mast
(Short und squat. Learning fast!)
Dot's a Jerry TOWER-MAST!

Ist dot nicht ein stein of beer?
Hell, dot ain't no stein of beer.
Turret forward, one in rear
LÜTZOW or der ADMIRAL SCHEER!

Tower-mast, single-stack,
Mast on funnel or in back
Load der guns and let her rip!
Dot's a Jerry BATTLESHIP!!!

Ist dot nicht ein KREUZER craft?
Sure, dot ist ein KREUZER craft.
Turret forward, und two aft
NÜRNBERG-LEIPZIG KREUZER craft.

Edited by MajorVom, Apr 18 2018 - 00:11.

omi5cron #40 Posted Apr 18 2018 - 01:33

Major

• Players
  • 21316 battles
  • [2323] 2323
its a scene ripped from Crysis Warhead i tells ya! definitely SOME kind of alternate history!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users