XVM

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

FluffyBadBad #21 Posted Apr 24 2018 - 20:35

Captain

• Players
  • 27949 battles

View Postnuclearguy931, on Apr 23 2018 - 00:10, said:

XVM + arty makes for a fun evening of WoT.

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

Kenshin2kx #22 Posted Apr 24 2018 - 20:38

Major

• -Players-
  • 17514 battles

View PostNumerius_Titurius_Sophus, on Apr 22 2018 - 13:28, said:

I once kept track of about 200 games and ran a correlation with W/L.  It was about .75 ish IIRC...a strong but not infallible predictor.

Well that is something  ... I think though, the bigger problem is getting to a accustomed to the stats ... to the point where folk don't question them over much ... and of course the temptation for stat sniping.

Anublister #23 Posted Apr 24 2018 - 20:39

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 62784 battles
  • [--T--] --T--

View Post24_inch_pythons, on Apr 22 2018 - 22:04, said:

It can be a way to ground yourself in a little reality, a way to see that which cannot be seen. Not many people use it that way, probably, but maybe more should start. Here's what I mean. I know I am a better than average player, meaning that at the very least I as an individual increase my team's chance to win. So, if I see that I'm on team after team after team after team that has a less than 50% chance to win I know that the MM is out to get me today. But what to do? The worst is the people who suicide or yolo or AFK. If you are pulling up your team's chance to win and you take yourself out you are guaranteeing a loss. In other words if XVM says you have a 40% chance to win the game and you suicide you aren't going to win that battle 40 of 100 times, maybe gonna win it say 20 of 100 times instead. So you're just throwing away 20 wins out of 100 games you play. Instead play your best to try and beat the odds then enjoy the satisfaction when you do. That's where XVM can be used positively. I can see that the teams today were horrible, just horrible. Nine games played only two of them had a better than 50% chance to win, overall I should have had a 44% win rate but my actual win rate was 56%. I can see from XVM that I beat the odds and I can feel good about that. So, instead of throwing your hands up and quitting because XVM said your team is terrible, use XVM to see how much you can beat the odds by today.

Stop focusing on winning and shift to damage/exp.  Win rate does not equal skill. It's a fake stat that encourages players to play OP tanks. The thing is you have 14 other players on your team. What is missing is a skill matched battle system. All you can do on a bad matchup is find how you can maximize your damage/exp until the enemy wipes you out or you get very lucky. You can spawn on a "bad" team but if the teams have equal "bad" players you still have a good chance as long as you play within your expected skill level. If only WG would balance all random matches with equal numbers of good and bad players all it would take for you to enjoy the battle would be to do better than you think you should. e.g. if you were an orange player and you beat another orange player or above you "won" the contest. You might lose the battle to a green or purple player, but you weren't expected to win that because he has an advantage over you in some way. (He has played more perhaps with better knowledge of the map and your tanks abilities. He has better crew skills, he knows how to angle his tank, he has a friend helping, he has longer view range, etc.)

Your goal is to finish in the top 5 of the team your on. If not that your goal should be to finish as far from the bottom as possible in exp. Still this is hard to achieve in all tank types so adjust it accordingly (see arty).

You think of yourself as better than average, but if mm matches you up against elite players you aren't going to help increase your team's chances. It's a range of skills you have to match up against as well as tank types, and sometimes you really don't have a realistic chance at all.

Also remember players aren't usually good in all tank types. In fact many with good stats only focus on a few types such as medium and heavy tanks. Others with good stats achieve them with the help of others who platoon with them.

I'm confident you can improve your skills with time, but I'm not as confident you won't still be stuck in bad matchups. Remember even Mauses fall quickly to packs of Panthers that work together.

Flarvin #24 Posted Apr 24 2018 - 22:06

Major

• Players
  • 50180 battles

View PostNumerius_Titurius_Sophus, on Apr 24 2018 - 13:54, said:

Well, it is trivial but if you won or loss that would be the dependent.  Chance to win would be a predictor (independent).  It is trivial because we are not trying to build a model and only have one predictor.  If you wanted to actually try to build a model and we had the info, this gets somewhat into the realm of what I did for 25 years.  Going down that path is too far because all I am saying is that CTW is a decent predictor.

Win chance is not an independent variable. Win chance is not even a variable, it’s the result. 

Do you actually understand what an independent variable is? Based on how you are using it, no. 

The numbers and operators you type into a calculator are independent variables. And they predict the result the calculator will show. 

Numerius_Titurius_Sophus #25 Posted Apr 24 2018 - 22:13

Captain

• -Players-
  • 12081 battles
  • [EOR] EOR

View PostFlarvin, on Apr 24 2018 - 22:06, said:

Win chance is not an independent variable. Win chance is not even a variable, it’s the result. 

Do you actually understand what an independent variable is? Based on how you are using it, no. 

The numbers and operators you type into a calculator are independent variables. And they predict the result the calculator will show. 

Dude.  Seriously.  Win chance is an independent variable.  DO you even understand what an independent variable is?!

Do you not understand that nearly any variable can be independent in some circumstances and dependent in others depending on what you are trying to do?  Are you that innumerate?

The overconfidence people have in their knowledge when it is mainly theoretical in insulting someone who did this for 25 years making over a quarter of a million a year is...funny actually.  

Edited by Numerius_Titurius_Sophus, Apr 24 2018 - 22:16.

Flarvin #26 Posted Apr 24 2018 - 22:22

Major

• Players
  • 50180 battles

View PostNumerius_Titurius_Sophus, on Apr 24 2018 - 16:13, said:

Dude.  Seriously.  Win chance is an independent variable.  DO you even understand what an independent variable is?!

Do you not understand that nearly any variable can be independent in some circumstances and dependent in others depending on what you are trying to do?  Are you that innumerate?

The overconfidence people have in their knowledge when it is mainly theoretical in insulting someone who did this for 25 years making over a quarter of a million a year is...funny actually.  

Dude. Seriously. DO you even understand what a variable is? 

The only way win chance is a variable, is in how the player that uses that mod plays.

Without any players using mods, win chances has zero impact and is not a variable. 

Funny thing is, I gave you an example of what an independent variable is in last my post.  lol

Apache1990 #27 Posted Apr 25 2018 - 01:44

Major

• Players
  • 34762 battles

View PostSays, on Apr 23 2018 - 14:19, said:

For every 1 player who uses the information in XVM logically there are 100 that will type "LOSS" 5 seconds into the countdown.  Then go AFK or drive off a cliff.  IMO the game is 100x more enjoyable without it.

IMO the game is more enjoyable without those 100 players in it to begin with.  If people don't try to win every match they're in, why play?

I can accept someone being bad, or playing with a troll loadout for fun, but at least make an attempt.

JOSEPHINEISH #28 Posted Apr 25 2018 - 03:35

Captain

• -Players-
  • 22916 battles
  • [TBOOM] TBOOM
I like it better when a team mate has it and I can just ask him what the deal is lol.

EmperorJuliusCaesar #29 Posted Apr 25 2018 - 05:06

Major

• Players
  • 25811 battles
  • [EOR] EOR

View Post24_inch_pythons, on Apr 22 2018 - 14:04, said:

It can be a way to ground yourself in a little reality, a way to see that which cannot be seen. Not many people use it that way, probably, but maybe more should start. Here's what I mean. I know I am a better than average player, meaning that at the very least I as an individual increase my team's chance to win. So, if I see that I'm on team after team after team after team that has a less than 50% chance to win I know that the MM is out to get me today. But what to do? The worst is the people who suicide or yolo or AFK. If you are pulling up your team's chance to win and you take yourself out you are guaranteeing a loss. In other words if XVM says you have a 40% chance to win the game and you suicide you aren't going to win that battle 40 of 100 times, maybe gonna win it say 20 of 100 times instead. So you're just throwing away 20 wins out of 100 games you play. Instead play your best to try and beat the odds then enjoy the satisfaction when you do. That's where XVM can be used positively. I can see that the teams today were horrible, just horrible. Nine games played only two of them had a better than 50% chance to win, overall I should have had a 44% win rate but my actual win rate was 56%. I can see from XVM that I beat the odds and I can feel good about that. So, instead of throwing your hands up and quitting because XVM said your team is terrible, use XVM to see how much you can beat the odds by today.

Here's my games played today, all in the HWK 12

42%   L
37%   L
44% W
44% W
34%   L
55% W
47%   L
45% W
52% W

XVM is just a tool.  It's a combination of crap slot-machine based MM and a toxic playerbase that is the issue. 

EmperorJuliusCaesar #30 Posted Apr 25 2018 - 05:07

Major

• Players
  • 25811 battles
  • [EOR] EOR

View PostSgt__Guffy, on Apr 23 2018 - 08:54, said:

XVM is an abomination and should be banned from the game along with all other modifiers. Modifiers are not required to play the game!

WG learned from another companies mistakes about removing mods......the result.....many don't want to play the game.  There's just too much missing in the stock client.

Numerius_Titurius_Sophus #31 Posted Apr 27 2018 - 21:44

Captain

• -Players-
  • 12081 battles
  • [EOR] EOR

View PostFlarvin, on Apr 24 2018 - 22:22, said:

Dude. Seriously. DO you even understand what a variable is? 

The only way win chance is a variable, is in how the player that uses that mod plays.

Without any players using mods, win chances has zero impact and is not a variable. 

Funny thing is, I gave you an example of what an independent variable is in last my post.  lol

Keep talking.  You are funny.  I am going to have to follow the age old wisdom of not arguing with fools.

Edited by Numerius_Titurius_Sophus, Apr 27 2018 - 21:45.

Flarvin #32 Posted Apr 27 2018 - 22:12

Major

• Players
  • 50180 battles

View PostNumerius_Titurius_Sophus, on Apr 27 2018 - 15:44, said:

Keep talking.  You are funny.  I am going to have to follow the age old wisdom of not arguing with fools.

At least this fool knows what a variable is. lol

DatastreamCowboy #33 Posted Apr 27 2018 - 22:19

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 41 battles
  • [BTB] BTB

View Postnuclearguy931, on Apr 23 2018 - 00:10, said:

XVM + arty makes for a fun evening of WoT.

Doesn't it tho! Wargaming should allow players to hide their stats from XVM. If a sheriff account and a promotional account can have it blocked then they should allow for regular players to opt out as well

Also tagged with XVM

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users