map monday map guide maps map guide fjords strategy strat hd

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

DomoSapien #1 Posted Apr 23 2018 - 23:37

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 13385 battles
  • [WGA] WGA

Well, you asked for it, so this week's map is Fjords!
Check out last week's Map Monday guide here: Glacier

Fjords has been in World of Tanks for as long as I can remember, but it has received a pretty substantial overhaul during the HD-treatment. Hit the play button on the music video below to go on a journey across this stunning Scandinavian landscape, and channel your inner viking conqueror while we talk strategy.

We'll start off this week's discussion with an absolutely fantastic write-up by our NA Community's very own AirG_Guerrillas! AirG is one of your friendly neighborhood WoT Streamers; He is oh so kind, and oh so patient. I highly recommend any tankers, both new and veteran, check out his livestream on Twitch, weekdays from 1pm-5pm EST (That's 12-4 Central or 10-2 Pacific)

AirG_Guerrillas

With the new changes to Fjords, the map has gotten better in regards to overall balance and tank role placements.

Tank Roles: Anything with decent mobility (mediums, heaviums, lights, TDs) will generally want to either focus on center map engagements, kiddy-pool control/map vision for artillery support, and north brawling/fall-back defensives.

Stuck in a super structured heavy or TD? feel free to continue to the South J-hook and brawl it out, or stall it out if you're confident in your team's comp.(composition) to take and control the North side. Since this position is completely isolated from the rest of the map, teamwork and sharing Hit-points is CRUCIAL in winning this flank.

General Strategy/successful snowball wins: The map plays out with 3 general flanks in mind, The North(waterfall), Middle/kiddy-pool, and the J-hook (as I like to call them), and creating successful crossfires through different angles using the middle of the map. The Middle is a key position and is always going to have allies waiting for either North Waterfall or South J-hook to win so they can shoot the butt of tanks positioned at Middle, thus creating a crossfire!

Find yourself in a flank that's losing? retreat! fall-back! it's always smarter to keep your gun alive, and alert your teammates positioned in middle to get ready to defend against a push.

Hope this helps! And as always, GLHF tankers! o7o7

I couldn't have said it better myself. Map control is vital to success on Fjords, with the most substantial changes having been made to the map in the North Field and central tower area by the kiddie pool. There are plenty of avenues to fire through from most positions on Fjords, however minimap awareness and avoiding tunnel-vision are must-haves if you want to avoid wasting hitpoints on inefficient trades.

General Visual Guide
(Shoutout again to Strat Sketch for the awesome visual guide tool!)

Map Key/Legend: 

The Field
This side has undergone the most drastic changes in the redesign. The middle has been flattened quite a bit, with a big sprawling expanse covering the majority of the middle. Several areas of trees and rocks in the middle have been removed, and the entire middle area now stretches splitting two areas of heavy foliage cover. What was previously a mess of firing lanes has been separated into two distinct "bunker" areas on the Northwest and Southeast end of the field, respectively.

Offering some opportunities for high-risk-high-reward spotting up the road on the east side of the field, the team spawning in the Southeast has the advantage of field visibility, whereas the Northwest has the advantage of additional supporting fire up the Northeast corridor (or the Northeast Slugfest, as I like to call it.)

Expand

The Northeast Slugfest

I call it a "slugfest" because this is the flank where you, well, slug it out. It's a hard-won flank, since there are so many places for each team to fall back and receive covering fire (moreso the Northwest spawn, but to a degree the Southeast as well). This flank should last a while, but when it falls it falls quickly. The Northwest team bottlenecks along the ridgeline in the Northeast side, since it's protected from the Southeast field by hard cover, spotting targets for supporting fire from TD's along the field and near the kiddie pool. The Southeast team loops around the hill in the north, and groups up around either side of the bottleneck to utilize hard cover for hulldown tactics.

Expand

"The Kiddie Pool"/ Middle Area

I should start by mentioning something important which isn't visually represented here: The spotting tower. With the redesign it's possible for both sides to access the spotting tower (The elevated chunk of land around E5 and E6) and potentially light up TD's lurking in the bunkers with heavy foliage cover. However approaching the spotting tower is a risky play as slower vehicles will get torn to shreds before they make it all the way up.

The Kiddie Pool area offers the Southeast team a firing line across the Heavy Push going South on the West side, and offers the Northwest team a firing line across the Heavy Push going down the eastern road to the J-hook on the cape in the South side. This is an important flank to hold, as ignoring this area will allow the enemy team to take an aggressive flanking position from which your team will almost never recover.

Expand

The South/ The "J-Hook"/ The Cape/ The Peninsula
This part of the map stays relatively unchanged, with the exception of a couple features: The team that approaches from the Northwest spawn has a little bit more of a flat incline on which they can hull-down on the Southern bank. There is an extra rock along the southern edge of the ridge that lines the road, blocking some of the initial visibility along the southeast bank for the defending side. This means that you will not be able to hull-down as reliably as on the hold version if you're taking this location, so you will need to either push up and expose yourself to enemy fire or wait for the enemy team to push past the rock so your TD's at spawn can dish out some serious damage.

Expand

And that about covers it, more or less! What do y'all think? Any spots I missed? What areas of the map do you prefer, depending where you spawn? Any vehicles in particular that tend to shine on certain areas of Fjords? Share your thoughts below!

FlakKnight #2 Posted Apr 23 2018 - 23:39

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 12776 battles
It's pretty bad now tbh

BigWoolyMammoth #3 Posted Apr 23 2018 - 23:52

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 31563 battles
  • [W--W] W--W

Another map that needs to fixed, also you incorrectly named camping zones as bunkers. Most everyone thinks this map is not good in 1.0. Sigh... well at least it still exists unlike a lot of maps you threw away.

DieselDog79 #4 Posted Apr 23 2018 - 23:57

Captain

• Players
  • 31243 battles
The middle is now a unplayable kill zone

simba90 #5 Posted Apr 24 2018 - 00:12

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 15388 battles
  • [FD_UP] FD_UP

E4/5 is unplayable for the west spawn. 

The north hill can snipe them with impunity. and the only spot that is safe from the north gets you shot from the town.

DomoSapien #6 Posted Apr 24 2018 - 00:23

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 13385 battles
  • [WGA] WGA

View Postsimba90, on Apr 23 2018 - 17:12, said:

The north hill can snipe them with impunity. and the only spot that is safe from the north gets you shot from the town.

Good to know! Admittedly I'm not super-familiar with this area, since I prefer to flex play along the Northeast ridge and kiddie pool in my LT's for the most part. Seemed viable when I drove up there in training rooms but hard to tell without enemy tanks shooting at you!

View PostBigWoolyMammoth, on Apr 23 2018 - 16:52, said:

Another map that needs to fixed, also you incorrectly named camping zones as bunkers. Most everyone thinks this map is not good in 1.0. Sigh... well at least it still exists unlike a lot of maps you threw away.

Check out the Common Test! There are some more maps that aren't currently in rotation, including Province. 

Baby steps, man. Baby steps. We'll get there.

Drone157 #7 Posted Apr 24 2018 - 00:37

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 21002 battles
  • [GBOTS] GBOTS

The west cannot take the middle, because of this the east gains tremendous position advantage.

the west cannot fight in the northeast, because the east can shoot them in the back from the middle, because of this the easy must abandon that spot, giving the east more control of the map.

the west is forced to defend the entire match. I hate spawning there.

AirG #8 Posted Apr 24 2018 - 00:42

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 45088 battles
  • [-G-] -G-

View PostDieselDog79, on Apr 23 2018 - 23:57, said:

The middle is now a unplayable kill zone

It sure is!

View Postsimba90, on Apr 24 2018 - 00:12, said:

e4/e5 Is best explained as just a starting position to get early damage/spotting for your team.

As I've said before, retreat! fall back! If you see your team collapsing from the North flank, use these tools called bushes and hard cover! 

Food for thought :)

Edited by AirG, Apr 24 2018 - 00:43.

Silver_ReBangBang_Wow #9 Posted Apr 24 2018 - 00:50

Captain

• Players
  • 36267 battles
  • [REL2] REL2
Air_G wheres your 3 marked bc huehuehuehue.

AirG #10 Posted Apr 24 2018 - 00:51

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 45088 battles
  • [-G-] -G-

View PostSilver_ReBangBang_Wow, on Apr 24 2018 - 00:50, said:

Air_G wheres your 3 marked bc huehuehuehue.

i'm terrible in the batchat D: I actually do only play it for fun. I'm not fond of the gun handling.

simba90 #11 Posted Apr 24 2018 - 00:52

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 15388 battles
  • [FD_UP] FD_UP

View PostAirG, on Apr 23 2018 - 23:42, said:

Food for thought :)

Thanks. is it possible for a couple or three replays of you playing this area? 

I've tried to play the E4/5 area a handful of time since 1.0 dropped and I get wrecked by the north or the town as soon as I'm spotted. Once i'm there i'm not really sure about the safe way to get out once more than 2 minutes has passed and people are in position. I've taken to not pushing past D4 until I know where the enemy is. Its seems too reactive rather than proactive for my liking.

Silver_ReBangBang_Wow #12 Posted Apr 24 2018 - 00:53

Captain

• Players
  • 36267 battles
  • [REL2] REL2

View PostAirG, on Apr 23 2018 - 23:51, said:

i'm terrible in the batchat D: I actually do only play it for fun. I'm not fond of the gun handling.

Feelsbadman who knew i would have something in common with g player ;-;

AirG #13 Posted Apr 24 2018 - 01:02

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 45088 battles
  • [-G-] -G-

View Postsimba90, on Apr 24 2018 - 00:52, said:

Thanks. is it possible for a couple or three replays of you playing this area? 

I've tried to play the E4/5 area a handful of time since 1.0 dropped and I get wrecked by the north or the town as soon as I'm spotted. Once i'm there i'm not really sure about the safe way to get out once more than 2 minutes has passed and people are in position. I've taken to not pushing past D4 until I know where the enemy is. Its seems too reactive rather than proactive for my liking.

sure! i'll try to get them if I can!

DomoSapien #14 Posted Apr 24 2018 - 01:05

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 13385 battles
  • [WGA] WGA

View PostAirG, on Apr 23 2018 - 18:02, said:

You da man, AirG! Thanks for helping out with my guide and participating in the discussion <3 

simba90 #15 Posted Apr 24 2018 - 01:19

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 15388 battles
  • [FD_UP] FD_UP

View PostAirG, on Apr 24 2018 - 00:02, said:

Awesome! thank you in advance.

My gameplay on this map has been suffering from west spawn.

thandiflight #16 Posted Apr 24 2018 - 04:53

Major

• Players
  • 77532 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP
This map is now terrible. The SE spawn has a decided advantage. It should be removed rather than you providing a guide.

CynicalDutchie #17 Posted Apr 24 2018 - 07:07

Major

• Players
  • 39098 battles
Fjords is extremely biased towards east spawn now. This map along with Erlenberg and Fisherman's bay have become a lot worse since the 1.0 update.

ThePigSheFlies #18 Posted Apr 24 2018 - 13:00

Major

• Players
  • 63104 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP

View PostDomoSapien, on Apr 23 2018 - 18:23, said:

Good to know! Admittedly I'm not super-familiar with this area, since I prefer to flex play along the Northeast ridge and kiddie pool in my LT's for the most part. Seemed viable when I drove up there in training rooms but hard to tell without enemy tanks shooting at you!

Check out the Common Test! There are some more maps that aren't currently in rotation, including Province. 

Baby steps, man. Baby steps. We'll get there.

Province was a bad map, and it's worse on common test.  you literally clear cut the lower bowl/field, and the elevations on the ridges are high enough, that one cannot proxy spot them from below anyway.

as for fjords, similarly the result of flattening out that giant upper plateau means that the central hill/high ground is now as important as it is on Mines.  generally speaking, the team that commits to the central high point , and the north wins.  j-hook in the south is almost completely useless.

(and yes, I have won regularly from the west, as well as winning that high point from the west)

FlyingTankRescue2015 #19 Posted Apr 24 2018 - 13:36

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 10031 battles
  • [_RTR_] _RTR_
Recently I have played my AMX 13 75 and if I spawn on the west side I literally like to run up and spot along the slide near the north east brawling area. Sure this is slightly suicidal but it's beneficial towards capturing the flank if I can encourage my teammates to help support me. Then after a few minutes of fidgeting around there I like to push east down the little path filled with bushes to spot any extra tanks that may be lying in wait. Over all I believe this map is much better than it previously was :D. It's definitely more open to more tank classes now with bushes for TD's and lights. Also nice job on the review! It was really informative and i'm sure a lot of people will be able to play more efficiently on this map!

DomoSapien #20 Posted Apr 24 2018 - 17:16

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 13385 battles
  • [WGA] WGA

View PostThePigSheFlies, on Apr 24 2018 - 06:00, said:

Province was a bad map, and it's worse on common test.  you literally clear cut the lower bowl/field, and the elevations on the ridges are high enough, that one cannot proxy spot them from below anyway.

as for fjords, similarly the result of flattening out that giant upper plateau means that the central hill/high ground is now as important as it is on Mines.  generally speaking, the team that commits to the central high point , and the north wins.  j-hook in the south is almost completely useless.

(and yes, I have won regularly from the west, as well as winning that high point from the west)

I don't know, I'd say it's a bit early to say whether or not province is an improvement. Personally I enjoy the fact that your draw distance spans almost the entire map. It makes positioning very important, because you have to be hyper-aware of all the potential firing angles you could be getting hit from. The towns offer lots of different buildings and alleyways for sidescraping. I'm interested in seeing how small-team competitive play will pan out. I think it would be really fun for something like 6v6 heavy tank brawls.

I've only played a few matches on Province so far, however, so..hard to say how it'll play out in randoms on the Live server.  

Silver lining: visually, it's stunning. I love all the destructible objects, archways, pillars, fences, and statues etc

View Postthandiflight, on Apr 23 2018 - 21:53, said:

This map is now terrible. The SE spawn has a decided advantage. It should be removed rather than you providing a guide.

Well, I just wanted to put out some helpful content that some folks might find useful. I have no direct control over map rotation or design since I don't work in that department; just trying to think of ways that I can help contribute to the community. As a seasoned player, you might not benefit from this guide, but a beginner or someone who is returning to WoT after not playing for several years might pick up a bit of knowledge by reading this.

I put a lot of work into the graphics, so do you have any input in that regard? What did you think of the guide in general, despite the fact that you don't like the new version of Fjords? Any suggestions or feedback for next week's guide would be much appreciated :) I appreciate you sharing your opinions about the map changes with us, regardless! 

View PostFlyingTankRescue2015, on Apr 24 2018 - 06:36, said:

Recently I have played my AMX 13 75 and if I spawn on the west side I literally like to run up and spot along the slide near the north east brawling area. Sure this is slightly suicidal but it's beneficial towards capturing the flank if I can encourage my teammates to help support me. Then after a few minutes of fidgeting around there I like to push east down the little path filled with bushes to spot any extra tanks that may be lying in wait. Over all I believe this map is much better than it previously was :D. It's definitely more open to more tank classes now with bushes for TD's and lights. Also nice job on the review! It was really informative and i'm sure a lot of people will be able to play more efficiently on this map!

Actually a couple of my friends mentioned they like to do this as well, since you can use the rocks on that road as cover from enemy LT's and MT's on the spotting tower hill. I tend to prefer TD's and mediums in general, so I like the changes to Fjords as well.

The Strv 103b is one of my favorite tanks in the game, so I always enjoy maps that provide me with cool spots to set up and put that gun depression + low armor profile to work!  I've even managed to pull of some crazy passive scouting by pushing up the road on the east side of the field when spawning on the Southeast side. 

And I've gotta give you a shoutout for having something nice to say about my map guide! I poured my heart into this one so I really appreciate you going easy on me. Glad you enjoyed it <3

Also tagged with map monday, map guide, maps, map, guide, fjords, strategy, strat, hd

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users