Mod: enemy gun direction on mini map, is it legal?

Mod

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

Fractured_Raptor #21 Posted Apr 25 2018 - 16:56

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 18553 battles
  • [-RISK] -RISK

View Posto4kill, on Apr 25 2018 - 10:55, said:

Unless you have hardware or dexterity issues that make holding right click impossible.

This is true. if you lost a couple of your last fingers, or have something wrong with them, then it's difficult or impossible for you. In those cases I'd fully support a mod like that. It evens the playing field.

nuclearguy931 #22 Posted Apr 25 2018 - 17:00

Major

• Players
  • 73374 battles
  • [UMM] UMM
Look at it this way. There is an enemy tank hiding behind a building and he is lit by others, you know he's there. You're charging the building from the opposite side, you can't see which way his gun is pointing so it's a 50/50 guess which side you come around. Now you have that mod installed, you know which way his gun is facing so now you know which way to go around the building. You have therefore gained an unfair advantage using that mod, it's illegal.

Blaze_terror #23 Posted Apr 25 2018 - 17:09

Captain

• Players
  • 14179 battles
  • [N0RAD] N0RAD

View Postnuclearguy931, on Apr 25 2018 - 10:00, said:

Look at it this way. There is an enemy tank hiding behind a building and he is lit by others, you know he's there. You're charging the building from the opposite side, you can't see which way his gun is pointing so it's a 50/50 guess which side you come around. Now you have that mod installed, you know which way his gun is facing so now you know which way to go around the building. You have therefore gained an unfair advantage using that mod, it's illegal.

And some how some do not think it's an advantage lol.      It is and should be illegal through their unfair Advantage policy

o4kill #24 Posted Apr 25 2018 - 17:12

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 7933 battles
  • [-RIPT] -RIPT

Ah, discussing realism are we? How about the fact that you'd have to be at least 12 feet away from the building in order to have your gun pointed at the corner, because two solid objects cant occupy the same space?

dave_292 #25 Posted Apr 25 2018 - 17:15

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 23947 battles
  • [SBW] SBW
The last i heard it is an illegal mod. I seem to remember this mod was talked about when they did a Q&A, when they changed the Fair play rules.

Realign #26 Posted Apr 25 2018 - 17:18

Captain

• Players
  • 27849 battles
  • [RS] RS
Its apparently legal.... today...  WG is notorious for being unable to decide if things like that are or are not allowed.  There is some safety that its on the mod hub, but there is the risk of getting used to it then it going away.  This is one of only 2-3 legitimate 'advantages' available now via legal mods and should either be added to vanilla game client or disallowed.  The other two I've seen on streams is hp displayed for tanks on minimap via a little circle around the tank icons and some absurd laser tracers that should absolutely be illegal (though the laser tracers I saw a while ago and hopefully isn't a thing anymore).

MFGrant #27 Posted Apr 25 2018 - 17:19

Captain

• -Players-
  • 10820 battles
  • [DVAB] DVAB

Except for the fact this is using available game data based on the fact that at least one other friendly tank is spotting him.   That means that tanks radio operator could be sending info to your radio operator telling him what direction the turret is facing. 

Sgt__Guffy #28 Posted Apr 25 2018 - 17:21

Captain

• -Players-
  • 3128 battles
Ban all modifiers, remove all doubt.

nuclearguy931 #29 Posted Apr 25 2018 - 17:22

Major

• Players
  • 73374 battles
  • [UMM] UMM

View PostMFGrant, on Apr 25 2018 - 11:19, said:

Except for the fact this is using available game data based on the fact that at least one other friendly tank is spotting him.   That means that tanks radio operator could be sending info to your radio operator telling him what direction the turret is facing. 

​Key phrase is 'could be sending', but at this time in the game the radio operator from the other tank(s) are only sending you the tank position, not the turret/gun direction, unless you have that tank lit in your sights then it's something that's not in the game, therefore illegal.

Blaze_terror #30 Posted Apr 25 2018 - 17:25

Captain

• Players
  • 14179 battles
  • [N0RAD] N0RAD

View PostMFGrant, on Apr 25 2018 - 10:19, said:

Ok then why is the gun directions laser mod illegal and you seem to think the turret one is not it only being seen when a teammate spots them is not a good argument.  Information given through the radio takes time these mods are real time . You could make the same argument with the Enemy reload counter that your teammates radio operator could tell you when they fired and how long it's been. But that mod is also illegal

Blackgunner #31 Posted Apr 25 2018 - 17:32

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 13379 battles
  • [JMO-H] JMO-H
The last time I delved into the mod scene, turret direction indicators were just as illegal as lasers and whatnot.

MFGrant #32 Posted Apr 25 2018 - 17:32

Captain

• -Players-
  • 10820 battles
  • [DVAB] DVAB

View Postnuclearguy931, on Apr 25 2018 - 10:22, said:

​The radio operator from the other tank(s) are sending you the tank's position, not the turret/gun direction, unless you have that tank lit in your sights then it's something that's not in the game, therefore illegal.

Well, since the game mechanics tell us that any spotting information relayed to you by a friendly tank will light a tank up as if you were spotting it yourself I am going with the assumption that part of that information relayed is turret direction.   To me this would explain why we see player movements from those spotted tanks and not simply a stationary representation of that tank.

nuclearguy931 #33 Posted Apr 25 2018 - 17:35

Major

• Players
  • 73374 battles
  • [UMM] UMM

View PostMFGrant, on Apr 25 2018 - 11:32, said:

Well, since the game mechanics tell us that any spotting information relayed to you by a friendly tank will light a tank up as if you were spotting it yourself I am going with the assumption that part of that information relayed is turret direction.   To me this would explain why we see player movements from those spotted tanks and not simply a stationary representation of that tank.

​Why chance using it, send a message to Wargaming and ask them.

MFGrant #34 Posted Apr 25 2018 - 17:39

Captain

• -Players-
  • 10820 battles
  • [DVAB] DVAB

View PostBlaze_terror, on Apr 25 2018 - 10:25, said:

Ok then why is the gun directions laser mod illegal and you seem to think the turret one is not it only being seen when a teammate spots them is not a good argument.  Information given through the radio takes time these mods are real time . You could make the same argument with the Enemy reload counter that your teammates radio operator could tell you when they fired and how long it's been. But that mod is also illegal

Outside of this specific thread I know nothing about either mod.   Laser mod sounds to me like it's actually displaying a laser sight across the map showing exactly where a tank is aiming.   Turret direction is only telling me where the gun is facing.   It's not telling me if he's aiming at anything.

Blaze_terror #35 Posted Apr 25 2018 - 17:41

Captain

• Players
  • 14179 battles
  • [N0RAD] N0RAD

View PostMFGrant, on Apr 25 2018 - 10:32, said:

Your now trying to use a game mechanic that is part of the game . Lol

MFGrant #36 Posted Apr 25 2018 - 17:44

Captain

• -Players-
  • 10820 battles
  • [DVAB] DVAB

View PostBlaze_terror, on Apr 25 2018 - 10:41, said:

Your now trying to use a game mechanic that is part of the game . Lol

Yes, you are correct.  I'm using that to explain why I would believe WG does not see this as an illegal mod.   I'm sure it's how they determine all mods submitted are legal for use.  Unless they just put them in a hat and pull them out randomly.

Blaze_terror #37 Posted Apr 25 2018 - 17:49

Captain

• Players
  • 14179 battles
  • [N0RAD] N0RAD
Knowing where a tank is located and knowing in real time where their gun is focused  is a big difference . And a large advantage over the other  

MFGrant #38 Posted Apr 25 2018 - 17:54

Captain

• -Players-
  • 10820 battles
  • [DVAB] DVAB

View PostBlaze_terror, on Apr 25 2018 - 10:49, said:

Knowing where a tank is located and knowing in real time where their gun is focused  is a big difference . And a large advantage over the other

Assuming you're not spotted and he doesn't know where your turret is facing

Also, let's not look past the fact that this is a game and not real life tanking.  There's nothing wrong with allowing that information to be shared between tanks and the amount of times a turrets direction is going to affect my game play are minimal.

Edited by MFGrant, Apr 25 2018 - 17:59.

Mak0n #39 Posted Apr 25 2018 - 17:55

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 16610 battles

View PostSgt__Guffy, on Apr 25 2018 - 17:21, said:

Ban all modifiers, remove all doubt.

^This.

The game is plenty enjoyable and quite configurable in its vanilla state.

BillT #40 Posted Apr 25 2018 - 17:58

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 26406 battles
  • [FADES] FADES

I looked at the mod.  It seems  to show turret directions for enemies that are both spotted and within your max view range circle.  If the enemy's outside that circle or not currently spotting, you get no info.

This sort of mod used to be explicitly illegal.   But I can no longer find that old list (which was from ca. 2016).  The "Fair Play Policy" is useless because it doesn't link to any list of prohibited mods.  It does explain that in general, mods that give you an advantage are banned, but  some are allowed if they "provide a gameplay advantage in what we believe to be a positive way".  So in short, there's no way to judge whether this mod is now legal.

And I don't think you can rely on the fact it's on the official WOT website.  Just after that site was created there were many claims that people  got banned for using mods they downloaded from there.  WG refused to discuss it, hiding it under the blanket excuse "We don't discuss disciplinary action on the forums."

So I personally would not risk it.  It is, in any case, a very cheesy mod; even if it's legal, it's not sporting.

Also tagged with Mod

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users