ARTY SPG

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

Bryukov #1 Posted Apr 30 2018 - 23:23

Sergeant

• Players
  • 45465 battles
  • [GYB] GYB

First of all the Alpha damage is about 1/3 the "advertised" DMG of the gun.

So if advertised as 1100 damage, it hits for about 400 on average, ASSUMING IT HITS.

Sometimes 320, sometimes 520, sometimes a real disaster with slash damage < 100 (yes, we have those RNG days as well).

AND SOMETIMES A MISS! Yes, just like you whiners, it glances off and I get an x2 Critical Hit and no DMG.

Occasionally we hit the BIGGIE, when a shell lands on the engine compartment or top of the turret.

Here, what matters is the PEN (which they CRIPPLED to < 50-60% of the original).

Hitting an engine deck with 50mm armor with a 42 pen, maybe... Hit it with 53 pen and ABUDANZA! (just like real life)

So doing 350-450 is the equivalent of a 390 DMG heavy gun, and noticeably LESS than the 750's dealt out by TDs (where's the complaint there?) , SO not big deal on the DMG...Please stow the "from afar" argument, it's only IF WE CAN SEE YOU, (not all the time) AND HIT YOU (even when you are moving).

And the reciprocal is we can no longer defend ourselves (which I used to be D*MN good at...lol).

As for the "stun effect", when playing heavies I barely notice it unless I am driving at speed or turning the turret, etc.

Stunned in a brawl just doesn't seem to matter in Himmeldorf, the Sand River, and other brawl areas.

So I don't have to hide from them anymore!!! I'm absolutely brazen, get hit/splashed by an M53/M55, he dings for 135 HP and I laugh and wonder why the whiners don't mention all the arty hits and misses that BARELY SCRATCH THEM. Oh right, you forget those 10 and only remember bitterly the -960 when your engine compartment got penned.

So there are lots of so-so arty jockeys, same as there are lots of so-so tank jockeys.

They splatter it around and for the most part you do not really notice the small losses over time.

Then you cross paths with a good one, who doesn't waste shells on a MAUS or E-100, finds unusual, non-standard places to shoot from (with different angles than you are NOT used to defending against), with HIT RATES in the 46-53% range (yes, I said HIT RATES, not splash), and you get CREAMED in your MT or TD.

Check his stats after the battle (have you EVER done that? truthfully? of course not...). Sometimes you will find you were picked out by someone special...lol.

vyle02 #2 Posted Apr 30 2018 - 23:26

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 28081 battles
  • [HARM] HARM
lol

Creeper_Peaper_Reeper #3 Posted Apr 30 2018 - 23:28

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 9918 battles
  • [TURK_] TURK_
I still have not figured out arty. Just not my style. Sucks because of the campaign missions.

KanataKonoe #4 Posted Apr 30 2018 - 23:40

Major

• -Players-
  • 18796 battles
  • [-L-L-] -L-L-
Arty is still dreadfully boring to play though....

airsoft_man #5 Posted Apr 30 2018 - 23:42

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 13861 battles
  • [ST_RM] ST_RM
Its not the damage i hate.. its when you get stunned for more than 20 sec even when your behind a rock and they just "splash" you

Bryukov #6 Posted Apr 30 2018 - 23:55

Sergeant

• Players
  • 45465 battles
  • [GYB] GYB

View PostCreeper_Peaper_Reeper, on Apr 30 2018 - 17:28, said:

I still have not figured out arty. Just not my style. Sucks because of the campaign missions.

Two most common mistakes are: 1) wait until the reticle is ALL WAY CLOSED - you will see a "lock" bump. Any open reticle can lead to a big miss OUTSIDE of it...and 2) NEVER shoot at a target you cannot hit, especially if it disappears. Bite the bullet, curse the gods, and save the shell.

-  BIA, vents, 6th sense and a ton of camo (except for the top 2 tiers where it's useless - check WOTINFO) are mandatory. BIA REALLY improves performance AND accuracy.

- this reduces reloads down to 16-28 seconds for most except the "bigger boys" in the 31-35s range. Yes, I have a 16s reload on an M44.

- in a few cases, the smaller gun is better (GW Tiger (p), etc.) you want to KILL things so pick targets you can finish off FIRST, and shoot faster.

- they reduced dispersion by about 15%, so .76m became .65m PER 100 METERS DISTANCE. That means MOVE UP! Moving 200-250m CLOSER significantly increases your accuracy. Arties that live on the back row and in the corners and the "usual" spots are...well, let's say not optimal players.

- MOVE after every shot, especially on mid and high tier maps where everyone "knows" where the arties are. And counter-battery those turkeys...lol.

Play like a tank - remove key support from a brawl area, shoot the weakest HP target first (same as ground forces concentrating fire on the weak target first), Go where you are need! You have a perspective of the entire battle. Oh, and notice that they covered the maps with fences, stone walls, and other things that divide the countryside. WATCH THEM EARLY ON! The enemy creates a road map of where they are going as you watch them knock down the dividers. Good for middle and end game recon as well...

Happy Shooting!

Dirizon #7 Posted May 01 2018 - 00:07

Major

• Players
  • 27352 battles

Artillery damage is not even 1/3rd advertised these days. Not with all these super heavy tanks.

I would say generally 1/4 or 1/5. It was like that finishing my FV385 grind. Sometimes you do 1/3 but many times less than fifty damage. Yes that is right, nine hundred HE getting lowered to fifty or even zero.....like hitting a JagPzE or Type heavy. Most are 15-25%

Which makes arty have extremely low lethality

Dirizon #8 Posted May 01 2018 - 00:12

Major

• Players
  • 27352 battles
I mean, my KV2 in skirmishes does on avg one-fifty   --   two hundred splash hits to T one-fifty or .oi. heavy. And she damage is listed nine hundred ten....Nice. KV2 and .oi.  are really only feared because they rape Type 64 if they hit.

RECON_RANGER #9 Posted May 01 2018 - 00:15

Captain

• Players
  • 37066 battles

WG never nerfed arty.  Arty needs severely nerfed.  Arty is anti-infantry, but why is it in a TANK GAME?

Arty takes the LEAST SKILL to play.  You just sit and click.  You don't have to drive, move, go hull down, side scrape, peekaboom, NOPE.  In arty, u just sit and click.  The only think you have to have to be a good arty player is the ability to anticipate where the enemy tank will move, but this is not a "skill."  Arty are the hardest tanks to 3-Mark because they have the lowest skill level.  Everybody who plays arty all gets around the same damage so a good player does not get any separation because skill does not apply to arty.  

The ONLY reason I played arty was for the missions, but even then having never played arty before I was able to breeze through all the missions through the T55A all pretty easily because there is no skill involved.  U just sit and click. 

Edited by RECON_RANGER, May 01 2018 - 00:17.

Wingnuttz33 #10 Posted May 01 2018 - 00:32

Sergeant

• Players
  • 19878 battles
  • [SCRUU] SCRUU

View PostBryukov, on Apr 30 2018 - 17:55, said:

Two most common mistakes are: 1) wait until the reticle is ALL WAY CLOSED - you will see a "lock" bump. Any open reticle can lead to a big miss OUTSIDE of it...and 2) NEVER shoot at a target you cannot hit, especially if it disappears. Bite the bullet, curse the gods, and save the shell.

-  BIA, vents, 6th sense and a ton of camo (except for the top 2 tiers where it's useless - check WOTINFO) are mandatory. BIA REALLY improves performance AND accuracy.

- this reduces reloads down to 16-28 seconds for most except the "bigger boys" in the 31-35s range. Yes, I have a 16s reload on an M44.

- in a few cases, the smaller gun is better (GW Tiger (p), etc.) you want to KILL things so pick targets you can finish off FIRST, and shoot faster.

- they reduced dispersion by about 15%, so .76m became .65m PER 100 METERS DISTANCE. That means MOVE UP! Moving 200-250m CLOSER significantly increases your accuracy. Arties that live on the back row and in the corners and the "usual" spots are...well, let's say not optimal players.

- MOVE after every shot, especially on mid and high tier maps where everyone "knows" where the arties are. And counter-battery those turkeys...lol.

Play like a tank - remove key support from a brawl area, shoot the weakest HP target first (same as ground forces concentrating fire on the weak target first), Go where you are need! You have a perspective of the entire battle. Oh, and notice that they covered the maps with fences, stone walls, and other things that divide the countryside. WATCH THEM EARLY ON! The enemy creates a road map of where they are going as you watch them knock down the dividers. Good for middle and end game recon as well...

Happy Shooting!

PLUS, you need to know the right "Clicker" food for your Arty.

With such A long reload time on the American tier 10 arty, you can eat a 2 handed sloppy burger like a Wendie's or a Whooper.

Frosted mug of beer, canned beer, your favorite Shots,,,, OK

Lower tiers with faster reloads i would suggest one handed food, like a buritto, regular cheeseburger (dollar menu), hot dog, PP&J. etc. Or a salad for you weight watchers.

Now your Leafblower tier 5 fires so fast i suggest pretzels or chips, something you can cram into your mouth in seconds.

You can wash this down with all the beverages mentioned in tier 10, but i suggest a straw!

Take it from me I play arty ALOT!

Don't be a "clicker food noob" and think you can eat a pasta and meatball dinner while playing lower tier Arty.

Trust me you can't, and I have 3 old keyboards that will prove my expertise on this subject

Bryukov #11 Posted May 01 2018 - 00:34

Sergeant

• Players
  • 45465 battles
  • [GYB] GYB

View PostRECON_RANGER, on Apr 30 2018 - 18:15, said:

WG never nerfed arty.  Arty needs severely nerfed.  Arty is anti-infantry, but why is it in a TANK GAME?

Arty takes the LEAST SKILL to play.  You just sit and click.  You don't have to drive, move, go hull down, side scrape, peekaboom, NOPE.  In arty, u just sit and click.  The only think you have to have to be a good arty player is the ability to anticipate where the enemy tank will move, but this is not a "skill."  Arty are the hardest tanks to 3-Mark because they have the lowest skill level.  Everybody who plays arty all gets around the same damage so a good player does not get any separation because skill does not apply to arty.  

The ONLY reason I played arty was for the missions, but even then having never played arty before I was able to breeze through all the missions through the T55A all pretty easily because there is no skill involved.  U just sit and click. 

The "skill" applies to where to go and who to shoot at. In a completely RANDOM "team game" where strategy is near non-existent, arty is the only individual that can exercise enough strategic sense to actually make a difference. Considering that you have fantastic stats, and only about 1000 games in arty (with rather weak stats), it is obvious you were unable to develop or recognize the skill it does require. Which pretty much explains the source of your comments...lol.

SacherMasoc #12 Posted May 01 2018 - 00:59

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 8548 battles

View PostCreeper_Peaper_Reeper, on May 01 2018 - 10:28, said:

You can get through all four sets by playing four of the five classes. There is no reason to play artillery. I'm a few missions away from the T-55 A without playing a single arty battle.

Dirizon #13 Posted May 01 2018 - 01:01

Major

• Players
  • 27352 battles

View PostBryukov, on Apr 30 2018 - 19:04, said:

The "skill" applies to where to go and who to shoot at. In a completely RANDOM "team game" where strategy is near non-existent, arty is the only individual that can exercise enough strategic sense to actually make a difference. Considering that you have fantastic stats, and only about 1000 games in arty (with rather weak stats), it is obvious you were unable to develop or recognize the skill it does require. Which pretty much explains the source of your comments...lol.

Arty has no apparent skill or strategy. IF ANY, it is the slimy bottom of the barrel crud of the skill world, that isn't hard to get. A monkey could understand. Skill such as spots and locations, which most arty cannot get to except French ones, 261, M53/M55 as the rest are cows in size and mobility. Who to shoot at, how to properly outfit your arty and crew, and knowing she'll velocity and loop. Etc. Very little skill.

Sure it can be strategic, looking at the map and stunning key targets. Blind firing, Etc. But being strategic isn't know loads of strategy, age old argument of strategy vs tactics. Arty has very little skill and tactical use involved. And don't bother checking, I play SPGs enough 

Tahllol #14 Posted May 01 2018 - 01:08

Captain

• -Players-
  • 10826 battles

View Postairsoft_man, on Apr 30 2018 - 23:42, said:

Its not the damage i hate.. its when you get stunned for more than 20 sec even when your behind a rock and they just "splash" you

I cna't think of any Arty that can stun for 20 seconds straight in 1 hit at least not constantly.

Tahllol #15 Posted May 01 2018 - 01:11

Captain

• -Players-
  • 10826 battles

View PostSacherMasoc, on May 01 2018 - 00:59, said:

You can get through all four sets by playing four of the five classes. There is no reason to play artillery. I'm a few missions away from the T-55 A without playing a single arty battle.

BS, as Arty missions require ARTY and you have NONE of the tanks from the missions.

Tahllol #16 Posted May 01 2018 - 01:13

Captain

• -Players-
  • 10826 battles

View PostDirizon, on May 01 2018 - 01:01, said:

Arty has no apparent skill or strategy. IF ANY, it is the slimy bottom of the barrel crud of the skill world, that isn't hard to get. A monkey could understand. Skill such as spots and locations, which most arty cannot get to except French ones, 261, M53/M55 as the rest are cows in size and mobility. Who to shoot at, how to properly outfit your arty and crew, and knowing she'll velocity and loop. Etc. Very little skill.

Sure it can be strategic, looking at the map and stunning key targets. Blind firing, Etc. But being strategic isn't know loads of strategy, age old argument of strategy vs tactics. Arty has very little skill and tactical use involved. And don't bother checking, I play SPGs enough 

Lights don't take a ton of skill and less than arty since they can pen from long range and stay pretty much invisible. You actually have to pick your shots with arty since they take forever to reload and accuracy is usually crapped on by RNG. It actually takes still to help your team as an arty and not just focus on hitting stupid [edited].

SacherMasoc #17 Posted May 01 2018 - 01:18

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 8548 battles

View PostTahllol, on May 01 2018 - 12:11, said:

BS, as Arty missions require ARTY and you have NONE of the tanks from the missions.

Before making a fool of yourself any further, do some research. You don't need to complete the arty missions to progress. You don't see the crappy Stug 4 and crappier T28 HTC in my record because I'll never play them. I hate playing TDs, especially the trash ones. Now hush.

Bryukov #18 Posted May 01 2018 - 01:18

Sergeant

• Players
  • 45465 battles
  • [GYB] GYB
So real skill is drive, point, shoot, wiggle, point shoot, angle, point shoot...got it!

bilzbobaggins #19 Posted May 01 2018 - 01:33

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 41634 battles
  • [GOONZ] GOONZ

View PostBryukov, on Apr 30 2018 - 19:18, said:

So real skill is drive, point, shoot, wiggle, point shoot, angle, point shoot...got it!

I think thats the 268v4 handbook.

LintinPocket #20 Posted May 01 2018 - 02:19

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 456 battles
  • [USAA] USAA

View PostRECON_RANGER, on Apr 30 2018 - 17:15, said:

Common error in both the historical use and the no skill involved comment. For a tank in the game to have a hit rate that arty does, severely reduced damage and to get top gun, top five in damage and assist the team in a win it has to be extremely well played. This is commonly called skill by talking humans. Problem with arty is same with other tanks it isnt played by competent players typically. They "sit and click"......

The other part of your erroneous thinking. I bet Rommel said the same thing at Kasserine Pass...WTH arty doesn't belong in this tank battle damn Patton! Perhaps you could talk to any Sherman crew asking why an 88 anti aircraft gun was doing in a tank battle.

Also tagged with ARTY, SPG

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users