61 replies to this topic

DomoSapien #21 Posted May 01 2018 - 21:03

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 13235 battles
  • [WGA] WGA

View Postdnaman, on May 01 2018 - 12:10, said:

How about Dragon Ridge and Pearl River?  

What about them? Are you asking if they're coming back? Check out this video below. Anton Pankov mentions some maps, new and old, in the video. He specifically mentions Dragon Ridge and says it's probably not coming back. We are working on bringing back Port, so who knows? Maybe Pearl River will make a comeback as well. If we can balance Port, of all maps, we might be able to balance Pearl River. 

View PostIron_Soul_Stealer, on May 01 2018 - 13:37, said:

This is what I was informed of recently:

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/576035-four-or-more-maps-removed/page__st__20__pid__11612052#entry11612052
Spoiler

Apparently, this poster {Drone157} is well informed of WG's intentions of bringing back Mittengard. So, what say you Mr. Sapien..? Is this poster providing me with misleading and false information..?

And again, I know some players out there do not appreciate the special brawling nuances of Mittengard, and that's too bad. I think it's a lot more fun to play than that 'campfest' of a map called Province. Furthermore, I loved using Mittengard as a map for my mid-tier training room battles. It was always fast, furious, and fun! I used to get a full house of players in my Mittengard battle rooms. We played all kinds of tiers and tanks, and everyone always had a great time. And I'd like to see it brought back.

Well my initial response to Mr. (or Ms.) Drone is this: 

Jokes aside, with different departments, offices etc. I'm not always 100% up to speed on upcoming content, unless it's releasing soon or I need to plan for it. I try to keep an ear out for any and all rumors, but that's not always possible.

I haven't heard anything, but that isn't to say it's off the table. I'll do my best to confirm one way or another for you fine folks, but as of right now it's safe to operate under the assumption that it is on the backburner, at the very least.

My personal opinion: arguably, Mittengard is not conducive to the new-player experience because it fits such a specific niche of close-quarters brawling. But it has its merits, at times, like for 1v1 tournaments etc. Whether it's reworked in HD? We'll just have to wait and see, for now.

_Gungrave_ #22 Posted May 01 2018 - 21:18

Major

• Players
  • 40712 battles

View PostIron_Soul_Stealer, on May 01 2018 - 20:37, said:

This is what I was informed of recently:

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/576035-four-or-more-maps-removed/page__st__20__pid__11612052#entry11612052
Spoiler

Apparently, this poster {Drone157} is well informed of WG's intentions of bringing back Mittengard. So, what say you Mr. Sapien..? Is this poster providing me with misleading and false information..?

And again, I know some players out there do not appreciate the special brawling nuances of Mittengard, and that's too bad. I think it's a lot more fun to play than that 'campfest' of a map called Province. Furthermore, I loved using Mittengard as a map for my mid-tier training room battles. It was always fast, furious, and fun! I used to get a full house of players in my Mittengard battle rooms. We played all kinds of tiers and tanks, and everyone always had a great time. And I'd like to see it brought back.

If he doesn't cite his sources then hes full of crap. WG would be crazy to bring it back anyway because as I said before its a crap map and most players I've seen agree on that.

Iron_Soul_Stealer #23 Posted May 01 2018 - 21:23

Major

• Players
  • 3183 battles

View PostDomoSapien, on May 01 2018 - 15:03, said:

I'll do my best to confirm one way or another for you fine folks, but as of right now it's safe to operate under the assumption that it is on the backburner, at the very least.

Thank you for your speedy response, Domo...:rolleyes:

Like I said, I am sincerely looking forward to seeing Mittengard brought back at your earliest convenience. Thanks.

CynicalDutchie #24 Posted May 01 2018 - 21:42

Major

• Players
  • 38863 battles

View PostDomoSapien, on May 01 2018 - 21:03, said:

What about them? Are you asking if they're coming back? Check out this video below. Anton Pankov mentions some maps, new and old, in the video. He specifically mentions Dragon Ridge and says it's probably not coming back. We are working on bringing back Port, so who knows? Maybe Pearl River will make a comeback as well. If we can balance Port, of all maps, we might be able to balance Pearl River. 

Port is an easy fix, just turn it into a full city map without the idiotic railroad middle part. Those railroads ruined the entire map really. The north and south part allowed for some nice flanking and maneuvering but in classic WG style it they forced people into funnels.

Maps, and this game in general, would be a lot better if Minsk stopped catering to the absolute brain dead.

DomoSapien #25 Posted May 02 2018 - 00:02

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 13235 battles
  • [WGA] WGA

View PostCynicalDutchie, on May 01 2018 - 14:42, said:

Port is an easy fix, just turn it into a full city map without the idiotic railroad middle part. Those railroads ruined the entire map really. The north and south part allowed for some nice flanking and maneuvering but in classic WG style it they forced people into funnels.

Maps, and this game in general, would be a lot better if Minsk stopped catering to the absolute brain dead.

Something to keep in mind is that your opinion of good and bad might not be the same as that of others. It's impossible to please everyone, which is why we do our best to please as many as we can. Doesn't always pan out in practice, but that to quote a famous cartoon scientist "Sometimes science is more of an art than a science".

My experiences with Port were typically negative. Spawning in the south, felt like I would always clump underneath the overpass in the North and inevitably get clipped-down by a T57 lurking behind a destructible brick wall. I just avoided the tracks in general, or rushed up/down across them. I'm cautiously optimistic about the changes to Port, although I have no idea what they may be. 

enjineer #26 Posted May 02 2018 - 01:58

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 43684 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP
Why do your developers insist in making 600-800m maps, while having tanks capable of view ranges near to more than half the map?  1000m is already small when tanks have view ranges near 500m.

Kamahl1234 #27 Posted May 02 2018 - 02:06

Major

• Players
  • 18390 battles

View Postenjineer, on May 02 2018 - 00:58, said:

Why do your developers insist in making 600-800m maps, while having tanks capable of view ranges near to more than half the map?  1000m is already small when tanks have view ranges near 500m.

But they haven't made a map that small in a while, isn't that the case?

IIRC this Province is a 1000m map.

This map size is adequate as otherwise you run into issues for slow tanks, and it pushes the view-range needs even higher than it currently is. 

enjineer #28 Posted May 02 2018 - 04:23

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 43684 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP

View PostDomoSapien, on May 01 2018 - 11:06, said:

Going off of memory here from the latest Dev Diaries video but if I recall, 850m? 

View PostKamahl1234, on May 01 2018 - 20:06, said:

This map size is adequate as otherwise you run into issues for slow tanks, and it pushes the view-range needs even higher than it currently is. 

CynicalDutchie #29 Posted May 02 2018 - 07:04

Major

• Players
  • 38863 battles

View PostKamahl1234, on May 02 2018 - 02:06, said:

Province is 850x850 which is just not enough for high tiers. To be honest, even 1000x1000 is too small for high tiers.

View PostDomoSapien, on May 02 2018 - 00:02, said:

Something to keep in mind is that your opinion of good and bad might not be the same as that of others. It's impossible to please everyone, which is why we do our best to please as many as we can. Doesn't always pan out in practice, but that to quote a famous cartoon scientist "Sometimes science is more of an art than a science".

My experiences with Port were typically negative. Spawning in the south, felt like I would always clump underneath the overpass in the North and inevitably get clipped-down by a T57 lurking behind a destructible brick wall. I just avoided the tracks in general, or rushed up/down across them. I'm cautiously optimistic about the changes to Port, although I have no idea what they may be. 

In my opinion this game has some of the worst map design I've ever seen. Not only are maps too small for high tiers the space that is there is poorly used and either obstructed by impassable object like mountains, water or city blocks or they just have a giant open kill zone in the middle of the map for no reason.

Take Lakeville valley for example, there is easily enough room on the map to turn this 1 lane slugfest into something that would allow for more maneuvering and flanking but instead we get a huge mountain and a giant lake obstructing over half the map. Not to mention that trying to go city in a slow tank is often suicide because LTs and MTs like to rush the middle for spots.

Or take the 2 giant city blocks on ruinberg that again, obstruct half the map. Why haven't these been opened up to allow for more lanes of attack? if I recall correctly Minks once mentioned that they didn't want to make it too complicated for players. The planned changes for Kharkov also show us that Minsk thinks we're all idiots since they removed all flanking opportunities and increased the map size only to add a huge kill zone in the north west.

cloudwalkr #30 Posted May 02 2018 - 16:46

Major

• Players
  • 53844 battles
  • [TYPE5] TYPE5

View PostDomoSapien, on May 02 2018 - 00:02, said:

With respect, Domo, most players I know think that the majority of maps in this game are trash.  They were made even more trash with the 1.0 update where you guys flattened out and made more funnels on most every map.  

Yes, everyone's opinion is different, but I've heard and seen enough different people of all skill ranges complain about how bad the map design is in this game that it's safe to say it's an actual problem.  Why would WG have removed sooooo many maps if it weren't the case?  Why change pretty much every map with the 1.0 update if the maps were solid?  Bottom line is WG could, and should, do much better with the overall map designs going on but give the perception that they (WG) don't care about overall game play anymore and only really care about putting out new cash grab tanks or OP tank lines.

Speaking of which, how on earth did the 268v4 make it through testing if WG were worried about putting out broken tanks meant to incite cash grabs?

_Gungrave_ #31 Posted May 02 2018 - 17:25

Major

• Players
  • 40712 battles

Just saw their patch review video and this map is going to be for tiers 4 to tier 10.

https://youtu.be/_3fYcCrhFnA?t=466

ThePigSheFlies #32 Posted May 02 2018 - 18:01

Major

• Players
  • 62526 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP

View PostDomoSapien, on Apr 30 2018 - 21:13, said:

Let's hear your thoughts on Province! Are you excited to check out the reworked version? Have you had a chance to play Province on Common Test?

Suggestions and feedback for future guides always welcome!

yes, I played it on common test.

my thoughts?

• a billion times better than existing trash maps like ensk and paris.
    • problem, that's not saying much...
  • major problems that I saw on the map.
    • you guys clear cut the lower bowls.  it's like trying to advance through the Colosseum to have a gladiator battle with your foe, only to have people shooting you from the bleachers
    • the elevation changes, and routes mean lower bowl really isn't even possible to proxy spot some of the sniper areas like one could do at times in the old province
    • impossibly steep stairs, and invisible walls prevent even the novelty of playing in areas that should be accessible

in all honestly, it feels like lakeville without a middle road (or a lake to fall into in the middle), and the valley of fail is just an equal width city corridor on each side

xxBigbacon #33 Posted May 02 2018 - 20:33

Major

• -Players-
  • 7924 battles
  • [-GNZ-] -GNZ-
WHY NO TIER 1, 2 ,3 get to play!!?!?!?!?

xxBigbacon #34 Posted May 02 2018 - 20:35

Major

• -Players-
  • 7924 battles
  • [-GNZ-] -GNZ-

View Postcloudwalkr, on May 02 2018 - 16:46, said:

With respect, Domo, most players I know think that the majority of maps in this game are trash.  They were made even more trash with the 1.0 update where you guys flattened out and made more funnels on most every map.  

Yes, everyone's opinion is different, but I've heard and seen enough different people of all skill ranges complain about how bad the map design is in this game that it's safe to say it's an actual problem.  Why would WG have removed sooooo many maps if it weren't the case?  Why change pretty much every map with the 1.0 update if the maps were solid?  Bottom line is WG could, and should, do much better with the overall map designs going on but give the perception that they (WG) don't care about overall game play anymore and only really care about putting out new cash grab tanks or OP tank lines.

Speaking of which, how on earth did the 268v4 make it through testing if WG were worried about putting out broken tanks meant to incite cash grabs?

according to WG the maps are perfect, they all work to the strengths of soviet tanks.

_Gungrave_ #35 Posted May 02 2018 - 21:19

Major

• Players
  • 40712 battles

View PostxxBigbacon, on May 02 2018 - 20:33, said:

WHY NO TIER 1, 2 ,3 get to play!!?!?!?!?

Because WG thinks this map wasn't a good teaching aide for them about vision mechanics yet they gave new players mittengard which was a disaster and eventually removed.

Edited by _Gungrave_, May 02 2018 - 21:19.

docroberts #36 Posted May 03 2018 - 05:11

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 18718 battles
  • [TONKX] TONKX
https://worldoftanks...1-0-1-province/     Said tier 4 through 10 so I was disappointed its not tier one and two anymore . Low tier tournaments used to be a blast . But wont be my last disappointment in how allot of things have changed over the last couple years . 

_Gungrave_ #37 Posted May 03 2018 - 08:45

Major

• Players
  • 40712 battles

View Postdocroberts, on May 03 2018 - 05:11, said:

https://worldoftanks...1-0-1-province/     Said tier 4 through 10 so I was disappointed its not tier one and two anymore . Low tier tournaments used to be a blast . But wont be my last disappointment in how allot of things have changed over the last couple years . 

_Kradok_ #38 Posted May 03 2018 - 13:52

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 26625 battles
  • [NUFFS] NUFFS
#BringBackSkirmishes

ThePigSheFlies #39 Posted May 03 2018 - 18:47

Major

• Players
  • 62526 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP

View PostKamahl1234, on May 01 2018 - 20:06, said:

province has 150m lopped off each side as unplayable terrain.  add in the death trap that is the lower bowl which might as well be water and it plays a lot smaller than it would suggest.  it's the same trash map design that plagued sacred valley and why folks experimented so much to find fun spots on it via boosting.

it's also the same reason why the "half and half" trash maps like ruinberg, and paris and lakeville at 800m x 800m are so much smaller - huge, gaping areas of each map that are completely inaccessible, or are wide open death zone, or are actual lakes.

heat maps may show that concentrated "areas" on open maps like prok, or steppes, or sand river - the fundamental difference is that in mid/late game stages mediums, light tanks, or even agile heavies and TDs can flex around and either get back to their own base to screen/reset - or even sweep in and help mop up on the opposing flank that stalled.  the above just isn't readily available on the tiny bad corridor maps (if those same agile, paper tanks even live to mid/late game because they were artificially held stagnant in bowling alleys too long)

_P3Z_SNIPING_REAR_ARMOR_ #40 Posted May 04 2018 - 09:31

Sergeant

• Players
  • 11139 battles
  • [D-O-S] D-O-S
Kill this map, I would rather have komarin that this map.

Also tagged with Map Mondays, Map guide, maps, map, guide, strategy

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users