Jump to content


Map Mondays: Province

Map Mondays Map guide maps map guide strategy

  • Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

DomoSapien #41 Posted May 04 2018 - 18:21

    Community Coordinator

  • Administrator
  • 13738 battles
  • 541
  • [WGA] WGA
  • Member since:
    12-28-2012
Thanks for participating in the discussion, everyone! 

Any maps in particular you'd like to see featured in next week's guide? 

Also: any feedback about the guides themselves? Anything I should do more? Less? The screenshots take a really long time to edit, so if y'all aren't particularly benefiting from them I wouldn't mind making them a bit less detailed.

Staz211 #42 Posted May 05 2018 - 08:31

    Major

  • Players
  • 26027 battles
  • 3,648
  • Member since:
    06-11-2012

I've played on Province several times now since the patch.

 

The map is still absolutely terrible, particularly at high tiers. 

 

Please, for the love of God, remove it.



Rothbardian #43 Posted May 05 2018 - 14:19

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 43515 battles
  • 36
  • [-P-] -P-
  • Member since:
    10-27-2012
Just played Province in a Tier 9. Absolutely ridiculous. Machine gun fight in an elevator.

Iron_Soul_Stealer #44 Posted May 05 2018 - 23:23

    Major

  • Players
  • 3183 battles
  • 9,682
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View PostDomoSapien, on May 01 2018 - 15:03, said:

What about them? Are you asking if they're coming back? Check out this video below. Anton Pankov mentions some maps, new and old, in the video. He specifically mentions Dragon Ridge and says it's probably not coming back. We are working on bringing back Port, so who knows? Maybe Pearl River will make a comeback as well. If we can balance Port, of all maps, we might be able to balance Pearl River. 


Well my initial response to Mr. (or Ms.) Drone is this: 

Jokes aside, with different departments, offices etc. I'm not always 100% up to speed on upcoming content, unless it's releasing soon or I need to plan for it. I try to keep an ear out for any and all rumors, but that's not always possible.

 

 I haven't heard anything, but that isn't to say it's off the table. I'll do my best to confirm one way or another for you fine folks, but as of right now it's safe to operate under the assumption that it is on the backburner, at the very least.

 

My personal opinion: arguably, Mittengard is not conducive to the new-player experience because it fits such a specific niche of close-quarters brawling. But it has its merits, at times, like for 1v1 tournaments etc. Whether it's reworked in HD? We'll just have to wait and see, for now.

 

That's not a bad idea. I'd be willing to meet you WG folks halfway, here:

 

*If you would return Mittengard to us, you don't even have to put it in the random battle map rotation. Just let us use it in the training room section. It's a fun little brawling map. And right now, the smallest map we have to use for 1v1 / close quarters brawling is 'Mines'...and that gets incredibly boring very quickly. Oh, and since you took Ghost Town away from us, the least you could do is give us back Mittengard. I think that's fair.

 

View PostDomoSapien, on May 04 2018 - 12:21, said:

Thanks for participating in the discussion, everyone! 

Any maps in particular you'd like to see featured in next week's guide? 

Also: any feedback about the guides themselves? Anything I should do more? Less? The screenshots take a really long time to edit, so if y'all aren't particularly benefiting from them I wouldn't mind making them a bit less detailed.

 

Yes. Mittengard, please. :)

And as I suggested, you don't even need to put it in the random battle map rotation {*see above}.

 

 



madogthefirst #45 Posted May 06 2018 - 05:43

    Major

  • Players
  • 23349 battles
  • 8,420
  • [ZEUS] ZEUS
  • Member since:
    12-28-2011

View PostDomoSapien, on May 04 2018 - 09:21, said:

Thanks for participating in the discussion, everyone! 

Any maps in particular you'd like to see featured in next week's guide? 

Also: any feedback about the guides themselves? Anything I should do more? Less? The screenshots take a really long time to edit, so if y'all aren't particularly benefiting from them I wouldn't mind making them a bit less detailed.

Just a crazy thought but we should have one of the map designers come in and tell us how they envisioned the maps would be played out so we can laugh at them. 

 

I have yet to have the misfortune of having this map today and to be honest I hope I never do. This is one of those maps that should have stayed in the scrap pile. I suspect the new map designers were huge fans of old El Halluf and it is getting a little weird.



_Gungrave_ #46 Posted May 06 2018 - 10:36

    Major

  • Players
  • 42205 battles
  • 16,299
  • [X-OUT] X-OUT
  • Member since:
    12-07-2011

View Postmadogthefirst, on May 06 2018 - 05:43, said:

Just a crazy thought but we should have one of the map designers come in and tell us how they envisioned the maps would be played out so we can laugh at them. 

 

I have yet to have the misfortune of having this map today and to be honest I hope I never do. This is one of those maps that should have stayed in the scrap pile. I suspect the new map designers were huge fans of old El Halluf and it is getting a little weird.

 

Some days I feel like this is how their map designers operate...

Spoiler

 


Edited by _Gungrave_, May 06 2018 - 10:37.


Nonamanadus #47 Posted May 07 2018 - 02:41

    Major

  • Players
  • 28856 battles
  • 3,782
  • [HBG] HBG
  • Member since:
    02-02-2013

Providence is a camping stagnant map that should be removed, like seriously might as well put a lake in the middle.

 

P.S. tell the developers that they really borked ths Erlinburg map, they might as well have changed the name.

 

 

 

 



Iron_Soul_Stealer #48 Posted May 07 2018 - 22:22

    Major

  • Players
  • 3183 battles
  • 9,682
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View PostStaz211, on May 05 2018 - 02:31, said:

I've played on Province several times now since the patch.

 

The map is still absolutely terrible, particularly at high tiers. 

 

Please, for the love of God, remove it.

I agree...:facepalm:

 

I can't believe they removed Stalingrad, Widepark, and Mittengard, only to replace them with another horrible campfest map. Another "brilliant move", Wargaming.

 

View PostNonamanadus, on May 06 2018 - 20:41, said:

Providence is a camping stagnant map that should be removed, like seriously might as well put a lake in the middle.

.....

 

I agree. I extremely dislike campfest maps. Give me a good brawl any day.

 

But hey, nobody listens to me. So, whatever...

 

 



Iron_Soul_Stealer #49 Posted May 08 2018 - 02:29

    Major

  • Players
  • 3183 battles
  • 9,682
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View PostDomoSapien, on May 04 2018 - 12:21, said:

Thanks for participating in the discussion, everyone! 

Any maps in particular you'd like to see featured in next week's guide? 

Also: any feedback about the guides themselves? Anything I should do more? Less? The screenshots take a really long time to edit, so if y'all aren't particularly benefiting from them I wouldn't mind making them a bit less detailed.
 

On that note...

I've always tried to share honest and respectful feedback when it comes to new changes and additions to the game, because I believe in this game. And I've always tried to be patient and optimistic with WG and their developers. However, it seems that no one from WG really cares what my opinion is. So, in the end, it doesn't really matter what I think, or what I say. And because of that, I've never been more disappointed with this game {and its developers}, than I am right now. Not that it really matters to them. As was stated recently in this forum, I am just a "filthy casual player", and my opinion "whining" is not valid here  ...isn't that right WG..?

 

 

*And apparently... my opinion and feedback is NOT valid here. It is now classified as "whining".

 

So, my apologies, Wargaming. I must be in the wrong place. I thought folks around here could handle a bit of constructive, honest, and respectful feedback. I guess I was wrong. But hey, what do I know, I'm just a "filthy casual player" anyway.

 

 

 



xperiment2g #50 Posted May 08 2018 - 19:03

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 30986 battles
  • 234
  • [DHO-X] DHO-X
  • Member since:
    06-17-2013
These map discussions are really well done. Thanks for putting in the time and effort.  I like these a lot.

Iron_Soul_Stealer #51 Posted May 08 2018 - 19:25

    Major

  • Players
  • 3183 battles
  • 9,682
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

I'd really like for them to discuss Mittengard...:)

 

So, WG... when are we getting it back..?

 

 



DomoSapien #52 Posted May 09 2018 - 18:20

    Community Coordinator

  • Administrator
  • 13738 battles
  • 541
  • [WGA] WGA
  • Member since:
    12-28-2012

View PostIron_Soul_Stealer, on May 07 2018 - 19:29, said:

 

On that note...

I've always tried to share honest and respectful feedback when it comes to new changes and additions to the game, because I believe in this game. And I've always tried to be patient and optimistic with WG and their developers. However, it seems that no one from WG really cares what my opinion is. So, in the end, it doesn't really matter what I think, or what I say. And because of that, I've never been more disappointed with this game {and its developers}, than I am right now. Not that it really matters to them. As was stated recently in this forum, I am just a "filthy casual player", and my opinion "whining" is not valid here  ...isn't that right WG..?

 

 

*And apparently... my opinion and feedback is NOT valid here. It is now classified as "whining".

 

So, my apologies, Wargaming. I must be in the wrong place. I thought folks around here could handle a bit of constructive, honest, and respectful feedback. I guess I was wrong. But hey, what do I know, I'm just a "filthy casual player" anyway.

 

 

 

 

Not really sure what gave you that impression, I'm just trying to streamline this process and make these as informative/useful as possible.

That comment in particular was just asking for feedback on stuff that is in my direct control, (Ie the guide format, which types of graphics you guys find more useful etc. As you can see I've been playing around with different types of illustrations/highlights in the screenshots to indicate positions and firing lines as clearly as I can)  rather than something like map design which I'm not directly involved with. I've been compiling everyone's comments and adding them to our feedback reports, including yours :)



Iron_Soul_Stealer #53 Posted May 10 2018 - 02:26

    Major

  • Players
  • 3183 battles
  • 9,682
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View PostDomoSapien, on May 09 2018 - 12:20, said:

 

Not really sure what gave you that impression, I'm just trying to streamline this process and make these as informative/useful as possible.

That comment in particular was just asking for feedback on stuff that is in my direct control, (Ie the guide format, which types of graphics you guys find more useful etc. As you can see I've been playing around with different types of illustrations/highlights in the screenshots to indicate positions and firing lines as clearly as I can)  rather than something like map design which I'm not directly involved with. I've been compiling everyone's comments and adding them to our feedback reports, including yours :)

 

The map I am interested in {Mittengard}, is already designed, and was functioning perfectly fine. It just needs to be put back in the game. And I would even take it "as is" {in its SD format}.

 

At least give it back to us for use as an optional 'smaller' map for 1v1 /smaller team training battles etc. I don't care if you don't use it in the regular map rotation for random battles, because I usually never play anything under tier 5 anyway. But I would like Mittengard returned to us. So, would you please put that in your feedback report..?

 

*And while you're at it, you should give us back Ghost Town, too. Thanks.

 

 



Rubberband_Man #54 Posted May 10 2018 - 15:32

    Corporal

  • -Players-
  • 10464 battles
  • 18
  • Member since:
    10-05-2015

I have to say that Province is a terrible map at high tiers.  Lots of high tier tanks have really good vision crews.  Sure, the map is bigger, but there are sections on both sides that are not usable, thus shrinking down an already small map.  Now add the fact that render distance is able to span both cliffs just promotes camping.  Why would anyone want to move if they could just shot targets all the way across the map?  So much for dynamic play?  The middle section is an absolute death trap that offers nothing to the map.  Make the map even bigger so that the cliffs are out of render range from the other side and maybe you've got something going.  

 

I also can't understand the indestructible low walls in the town sections.  Really? A two foot high wall that a 60 ton tank can't destroy or drive over unless going full speed? 

 

I'm sorry for the rant, usually don't comment much, but this map needed to stay in the history books.



DomoSapien #55 Posted May 11 2018 - 17:04

    Community Coordinator

  • Administrator
  • 13738 battles
  • 541
  • [WGA] WGA
  • Member since:
    12-28-2012

View Post_Critical_Hit, on May 10 2018 - 08:32, said:

I have to say that Province is a terrible map at high tiers.  Lots of high tier tanks have really good vision crews.  Sure, the map is bigger, but there are sections on both sides that are not usable, thus shrinking down an already small map.  Now add the fact that render distance is able to span both cliffs just promotes camping.  Why would anyone want to move if they could just shot targets all the way across the map?  So much for dynamic play?  The middle section is an absolute death trap that offers nothing to the map.  Make the map even bigger so that the cliffs are out of render range from the other side and maybe you've got something going.  

 

I also can't understand the indestructible low walls in the town sections.  Really? A two foot high wall that a 60 ton tank can't destroy or drive over unless going full speed? 

 

I'm sorry for the rant, usually don't comment much, but this map needed to stay in the history books.

Well, from my experience you don't really want to sit in the middle on a standard battle, but I'm still curious to see how it will play on Assault or Encounter mode, since I haven't had the chance yet.

Feedback is fair and good! Making a note of everyone's feedback and adding it to my next report.

View PostIron_Soul_Stealer, on May 09 2018 - 19:26, said:

 

The map I am interested in {Mittengard}, is already designed, and was functioning perfectly fine. It just needs to be put back in the game. And I would even take it "as is" {in its SD format}.

 

At least give it back to us for use as an optional 'smaller' map for 1v1 /smaller team training battles etc. I don't care if you don't use it in the regular map rotation for random battles, because I usually never play anything under tier 5 anyway. But I would like Mittengard returned to us. So, would you please put that in your feedback report..?

 

*And while you're at it, you should give us back Ghost Town, too. Thanks.

 

 


I think you may be overestimating the amount of control over development that a Community Coordinator has. There is no way for me to personally guarantee the implementation of a suggestion, or somehow bring maps back into rotation or the game client in general. Apologies, but currently I feel my time is better spent writing guides for maps that are currently in rotation. If Mittengard or Ghost Town are brought back, I promise I'll make guides before they hit the live server, just like I did for Province. But yes, I'll make a note of it in my next report as well!

 



Iron_Soul_Stealer #56 Posted May 12 2018 - 01:38

    Major

  • Players
  • 3183 battles
  • 9,682
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View Post_Critical_Hit, on May 10 2018 - 09:32, said:

I have to say that Province is a terrible map at high tiers.  Lots of high tier tanks have really good vision crews.  Sure, the map is bigger, but there are sections on both sides that are not usable, thus shrinking down an already small map.  Now add the fact that render distance is able to span both cliffs just promotes camping.  Why would anyone want to move if they could just shot targets all the way across the map?  So much for dynamic play?  The middle section is an absolute death trap that offers nothing to the map.  Make the map even bigger so that the cliffs are out of render range from the other side and maybe you've got something going.  

 

I also can't understand the indestructible low walls in the town sections.  Really? A two foot high wall that a 60 ton tank can't destroy or drive over unless going full speed? 

 

I'm sorry for the rant, usually don't comment much, but this map needed to stay in the history books.

 

I have to agree. I didn't like the "new" Province, either. And I'm just being honest. I wanted to like it, but just like that new FL mode, it just wasn't happening for me...:facepalm: *It's still the same old campfest that it always was. Borrrrring.

 

View PostDomoSapien, on May 11 2018 - 11:04, said:

Well, from my experience you don't really want to sit in the middle on a standard battle, but I'm still curious to see how it will play on Assault or Encounter mode, since I haven't had the chance yet.

Feedback is fair and good! Making a note of everyone's feedback and adding it to my next report.


I think you may be overestimating the amount of control over development that a Community Coordinator has. There is no way for me to personally guarantee the implementation of a suggestion, or somehow bring maps back into rotation or the game client in general. Apologies, but currently I feel my time is better spent writing guides for maps that are currently in rotation. If Mittengard or Ghost Town are brought back, I promise I'll make guides before they hit the live server, just like I did for Province. But yes, I'll make a note of it in my next report as well!

 

View PostDomoSapien, on May 09 2018 - 12:20, said:

 

Not really sure what gave you that impression, ....

 

Then who should I be corresponding with if I want these two maps brought back..? {Mittengard, and Ghost Town}. Can you suggest me a WG staff name...? And again, I'm not asking you for a personal guarantee, all I'm asking for you to do is try. And for some help. Can you promise me you'll do that..?

 

*Oh, and regarding that highlighted part...

Actually, I was just trying to make a point there. That comment stems from an unnecessary and insulting comment made from another player here, in this forum, who seems to think I'm just a "filthy casual player", and I should go take a flying [edited] leap elsewhere. Do you agree..? 

 

Spoiler

 

 

 



YANKEE137 #57 Posted May 12 2018 - 17:41

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 10335 battles
  • 3,256
  • [6-ACR] 6-ACR
  • Member since:
    08-17-2015

View PostDomoSapien, on May 11 2018 - 17:04, said:

Well, from my experience you don't really want to sit in the middle on a standard battle, but I'm still curious to see how it will play on Assault or Encounter mode, since I haven't had the chance yet.

Feedback is fair and good! Making a note of everyone's feedback and adding it to my next report.


I think you may be overestimating the amount of control over development that a Community Coordinator has. There is no way for me to personally guarantee the implementation of a suggestion, or somehow bring maps back into rotation or the game client in general. Apologies, but currently I feel my time is better spent writing guides for maps that are currently in rotation. If Mittengard or Ghost Town are brought back, I promise I'll make guides before they hit the live server, just like I did for Province. But yes, I'll make a note of it in my next report as well!

 

 

​He's reporting on us!  Don't turn around uh oh! Der Kommissar's in town uh oh!

DomoSapien #58 Posted May 15 2018 - 18:47

    Community Coordinator

  • Administrator
  • 13738 battles
  • 541
  • [WGA] WGA
  • Member since:
    12-28-2012

View PostIron_Soul_Stealer, on May 11 2018 - 18:38, said:

 

I have to agree. I didn't like the "new" Province, either. And I'm just being honest. I wanted to like it, but just like that new FL mode, it just wasn't happening for me...:facepalm: *It's still the same old campfest that it always was. Borrrrring.

 

 

Then who should I be corresponding with if I want these two maps brought back..? {Mittengard, and Ghost Town}. Can you suggest me a WG staff name...? And again, I'm not asking you for a personal guarantee, all I'm asking for you to do is try. And for some help. Can you promise me you'll do that..?

 

*Oh, and regarding that highlighted part...

Actually, I was just trying to make a point there. That comment stems from an unnecessary and insulting comment made from another player here, in this forum, who seems to think I'm just a "filthy casual player", and I should go take a flying [edited] leap elsewhere. Do you agree..? 

 

Spoiler

 

 

 


Well, like I said I added your suggestions to bring back Mittengard and Ghost Town to my feedback report. There is no WG Staff member that you can simply talk to and guarantee your suggestions are implemented. It's not a simple question of getting an inside contact and finding the right person to talk to. We do not cater to individual players, but rather the community as a whole. We value every player's opinion and we don't place more value on one player over another. 


With that in mind, one player's opinion does not outweigh the opinions of the entire community, while I respect your opinion, (and am happy to present it to my superiors) I can't promise you that I'm going to fight tooth and nail to bring back those two maps (Nor do I have the power to do so even if I did make this my personal crusade). If it fits into our design roadmap then it will be implemented, as far as we know there might even be development going on for these two maps as we speak. I've heard just about as much regarding Mittengard and Ghost Town as you have, so anything is possible. 

As for the insults that were directed at you, I'm sorry to hear about them. I am most definitely a "filthy casual" in that case, with my 13k battle count and mediocre stats. Elitism in the community is detrimental to virtually everyone, and I hope to see the conversations on our forums becoming more positive over time. 



Iron_Soul_Stealer #59 Posted Jun 10 2018 - 03:34

    Major

  • Players
  • 3183 battles
  • 9,682
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View PostDomoSapien, on May 15 2018 - 12:47, said:


Well, like I said I added your suggestions to bring back Mittengard and Ghost Town to my feedback report. There is no WG Staff member that you can simply talk to and guarantee your suggestions are implemented. It's not a simple question of getting an inside contact and finding the right person to talk to. We do not cater to individual players, but rather the community as a whole. We value every player's opinion and we don't place more value on one player over another. 


With that in mind, one player's opinion does not outweigh the opinions of the entire community, while I respect your opinion, (and am happy to present it to my superiors) I can't promise you that I'm going to fight tooth and nail to bring back those two maps (Nor do I have the power to do so even if I did make this my personal crusade). If it fits into our design roadmap then it will be implemented, as far as we know there might even be development going on for these two maps as we speak. I've heard just about as much regarding Mittengard and Ghost Town as you have, so anything is possible. 

As for the insults that were directed at you, I'm sorry to hear about them. I am most definitely a "filthy casual" in that case, with my 13k battle count and mediocre stats. Elitism in the community is detrimental to virtually everyone, and I hope to see the conversations on our forums becoming more positive over time. 

 

Again, all I'm asking for is your promise that you will genuinely try to help return these two maps to us. I'm not asking you for a personal guarantee.

 

*Mittengard and Ghost Town are very fun maps. And because of their small size, they are perfect for smaller group training room battles and for 1v1. And again, I'm not asking you, or WG, to put those two maps in the regular random battle map rotation. Just give them back to us for training room battles. I'm fine with that.

 

And regarding the unnecessary insults that were thrown my way... Well, I have to say that I don't appreciate that kind of behaviour, either. I will certainly admit that I'm not perfect, and I tend to get a bit passionate about what I believe... and I voice my opinions accordingly. However, I DO NOT go around this forum deliberately insulting others and looking for a fight. That's just petty...and does not contribute anything meaningful or constructive to the game, or to life in general. 

 

View PostYANKEE137, on May 12 2018 - 11:41, said:

 

​He's reporting on us!  Don't turn around uh oh! Der Kommissar's in town uh oh!

 

Dude, thanks for the 80's flashback.

And as I stated above...*I'm not asking for a 'personal guarantee', here. I'd be happy with the promise to try.

 

 

 



taugrim #60 Posted Jun 16 2018 - 15:31

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 28378 battles
  • 202
  • Member since:
    04-13-2013

View PostRothbardian, on May 05 2018 - 13:19, said:

Just played Province in a Tier 9. Absolutely ridiculous. Machine gun fight in an elevator.

 

It's taken me some time and experimentation, but I've found that Province has a lot of interesting fields of fire and opportunities to play vision games in high-tier battles. The OP shows some of those fields of fire in the pictures in the first post.

 

I think it's an interesting map, and certainly way way better than the prior version of Province.

 

Here's a long battle showing how to play Province as a light tank:

 

 

The one criticism that I've heard that I do agree with is that the middle ground floor field is simply not playable - anyone going down there will get obliterated.


Edited by taugrim, Jun 16 2018 - 15:36.






Also tagged with Map Mondays, Map guide, maps, map, guide, strategy

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users