map

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Pavys #1 Posted May 04 2018 - 13:56

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 41047 battles
  • [OTTER] OTTER
I believe that several players have already experienced one of the following: playing on a map you don't like or with a tank that has extreme disadvantage on one map.

Recently the PUBG, which has only 2 maps (soon 3), has already noticed the willingness of the players to select the map that pleases you the most. How did you come to that conclusion? 
They saw that some deleted a file in the game folder! The result of the analysis was to implement the option of choosing maps:

Map select in PUBG:

In World of Tanks, "open maps" can be awful for heavy tanks and "closed maps (cities)" bad for artillery or other situations like adapting map strategy...

I suggest then that WG limit a number of maps that we can choose to "banish" from our random list. Between 2 to 3 would be great and if there is any map that has high rejection the company could analyze and improve its gameplay.

Pros:
- Customization of the player;
- Improvement in the player's experience of the game;
- Map performance analysis.

Good luck on the battlefield (whatever you want! lol)
Pavys.

Edited by Pavys, May 04 2018 - 14:03.

moogleslam #2 Posted May 04 2018 - 14:09

Major

• Players
  • 34608 battles
  • [CLAWS] CLAWS
Well done.  I thought about making the exact same post when I heard about this for PUBG a while back, and I've proposed this for WoT several times.  I'd suggest letting players opt out of ~3 maps for now.  ~5 if we get all the removed ones back.  It should be enough to make a difference in a players map experience, but not so much that they are able to impact their stats in a meaningful way.

CynicalDutchie #3 Posted May 04 2018 - 14:10

Major

• Players
  • 38863 battles

almost every MP game allows you pick the maps you play on, WG prefers to shove crapdown our throat like prok and erlenberg with our only option being suicide.

This game could really use some sort of map selection or at the very least allow you to opt out of certain maps as you suggested and as has been suggested many times before.

MacDaddyMatty #4 Posted May 04 2018 - 14:22

Major

• -Players-
  • 22943 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

So...

I grid grind TDs and de-select all the city maps?

Then Grind HTs and deselect all the open maps?

:sceptic:

This seems like open maps would be a 100% camp fest that would end in 0-0 draws.

Cities would be fun - until some MT snuck around the back and capped you out.

Nah.

CynicalDutchie #5 Posted May 04 2018 - 14:24

Major

• Players
  • 38863 battles

View PostMacDaddyMatty, on May 04 2018 - 14:22, said:

So...

I grid grind TDs and de-select all the city maps?

Then Grind HTs and deselect all the open maps?

:sceptic:

This seems like open maps would be a 100% camp fest that would end in 0-0 draws.

Cities would be fun - until some MT snuck around the back and capped you out.

Nah.

Open maps are already massive campfests, just look at prok and campinovka

MacDaddyMatty #6 Posted May 04 2018 - 14:27

Major

• -Players-
  • 22943 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

View PostCynicalDutchie, on May 04 2018 - 08:24, said:

Arguable but I'll give it to you.

But now imagine no tanks pushing the 1 or 9 line of either map, because they're all TDs on the back...

Oh, and Arty is systematically blind-firing the 1/2 doz bushes.

:arta:

CynicalDutchie #7 Posted May 04 2018 - 14:39

Major

• Players
  • 38863 battles

View PostMacDaddyMatty, on May 04 2018 - 14:27, said:

Arguable but I'll give it to you.

But now imagine no tanks pushing the 1 or 9 line of either map, because they're all TDs on the back...

Oh, and Arty is systematically blind-firing the 1/2 doz bushes.

:arta:

Wouldn't effect me because I would opt out of those maps regardless of the class I'd play. And like the OP said, maps that have a high opt out rate either from certain classes or just in general could be improved by WG to be more balanced for all classes or simply removed entirely.

although if the "improvements" on maps like Erlenberg, Fjords and Fisherman's bay are anything to go by they're better off removed permanently.

MacDaddyMatty #8 Posted May 04 2018 - 14:46

Major

• -Players-
  • 22943 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

View PostCynicalDutchie, on May 04 2018 - 08:39, said:

although if the "improvements" on maps like Erlenberg, Fjords and Fisherman's bay are anything to go by they're better off removed permanently.

Aye there is the rub.

Too oft it seems, the cure is worse than the disease.

Silversound #9 Posted May 04 2018 - 15:20

Major

• Players
  • 37676 battles
  • [-P-] -P-
My guess is that this will never happen in WoT.

dnaman #10 Posted May 04 2018 - 15:54

Captain

• Players
  • 28233 battles
  • [_EOS_] _EOS_
I think as MacDaddy points out, this would likely be game breaking.  No thanks.  I have to deal with the same maps and teams you do.  I would love to have more maps back.  

the_dude_76 #11 Posted May 04 2018 - 15:57

Major

• Players
  • 31654 battles
  • [GSRM] GSRM

View PostCynicalDutchie, on May 04 2018 - 13:24, said:

So let's make it worse by ensuring that only TD's, arty and lights choose those maps 

Block Quote

they're better off removed permanently.

Which would be the end result if too few people were willing to play on certain maps. Sure there are maps that I dislike but there are already too few maps in the game. I don't see how removing more of them would make for a more positive gaming experience.

Kamahl1234 #12 Posted May 04 2018 - 16:08

Major

• Players
  • 18366 battles

A game like PUBG leads itself well to having map selection, due to long map styles and extreme size of maps, doing this allows players to take the months needed to properly learn all of a map.

WoT is different. Not all games benefit from this. A favorite for you may not be a favorite for the majority, so you may rarely if ever see that map if players could exclude maps from their rotations.

At best it will make people think there's even less maps than there already is, and lead to more complaints about wanting more maps, and more unhappiness when new maps aren't favored so they feel it's "wasted" if it isn't perfect from the word go. 

I don't think removing maps is a good idea, and we shouldn't be really in favor of those unless they themselves have severe (statistical) balancing issues that can't easily be addressed, similar to how Port was.

BattlecryGWJ #13 Posted May 04 2018 - 16:18

Major

• Players
  • 34740 battles
  • [RSRDD] RSRDD

Doesn't seem likely to happen unless WoT reduces the total number of maps available to play on.  If they reduce the number of maps available at any given time to perhaps 5 or so, then I could seem them piloting a program to allow players some control over map selection to see what happens to the overall rotation and queue times.

TsarCidron #14 Posted May 04 2018 - 16:29

Major

• Players
  • 6596 battles
  • [RAIDM] RAIDM

As an alternative, instead of "a list of rejected maps" by the player, how about where entering battle, you are presented with two maps and you just select one of them.  You are on a timer vs the others in cue at the same time however.  If you run out of time, WG selects for you. This would be on a "per battle" basis.   

Example: I am in my arty, and screen asks me to select between Map A - Prok, and Map B - Himmelsdorf.     I select Prok.   But, if I take to long (10sec or so) I get whatever it selects.

Also tagged with map

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users