So about the P.43...

Italian Tanks P.43 Tier 5 Mediums

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

NovaTempest #1 Posted May 06 2018 - 18:25

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 10434 battles

When the italian line first came out, I had enough free XP to sprint straight to the Tier 5 and even managed to get a few upgrades for it. I heard using straight HE on the Tier 4 was hilariously fun most of the time, and the first two guns of the P.43 have that same HE Pen. As I have experience with the T-34-85M, I've been rather cozy in the P.43 in terms of angling the front and what not.

The problem I have with this tank is its top gun. It is extremely disappointing for a top gun as it hardly has any major improvements over the other two guns, in fact its worse in some ways.

On paper, while its better penetration on standard and gold rounds makes sense, as does its reduced HE pen (To balance it out obviously), the fact that it has the worst aim time of all three guns despite being the longest one is perplexing. Couple that with all three gun's poor accuracy for the tier, and the tank will have issues even at close range if it has to move the gun very much.

Again, i can see how the devs tried to balance out the top gun of the P.43, but with how I have played it / tried to play it, it just doesn't really work out to well. I got so annoyed with it I demounted it and went back to the second gun, and have been using a combination of both HE and AP. Whats also concerning me is that this same gun is the P.43 bis' stock gun... and i am dreading the thought of that. In fact this whole situation is giving me flashbacks of my extremely excruciating grind through the E 50. Although its thankfully not a tier 9 tank, i'm getting the same feeling at tier 5.

I hear the tier 6 fully upgraded is great, but the original P.43 feels like a potentially good tank with a polished turd top gun. Can we get it (the top gun) re-balanced with at least slightly better accuracy and aim time if tweaking the alpha is out of the question?

Otherwise I think this tank isn't too bad off, i've been able to do a decent overall amount of spotting damage in it oddly enough, so that fact alone makes me excited with what the devs are going to come up with for the Light/medium hybrid line, especially if they end up classifying them as light tanks.

But am I the only one thinking this way about the P.43's top gun?

Edited by NovaTempest, May 06 2018 - 18:39.

Kamahl1234 #2 Posted May 06 2018 - 18:31

Major

• Players
  • 18396 battles

Aim time isn't related to barrel length and is purely a balance statistic. 

The way these tanks are set up, the "top gun" isn't the only viable gun. Or at least this is the case for tier 6 and 7. You trade some accuracy, aim-time (not much even) and some DPM to get more alpha and penetration. Rather than making it an outright better gun, it changes how the tank is played. 

NovaTempest #3 Posted May 06 2018 - 18:36

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 10434 battles

View PostKamahl1234, on May 06 2018 - 12:31, said:

Aim time isn't related to barrel length and is purely a balance statistic. 

The way these tanks are set up, the "top gun" isn't the only viable gun. Or at least this is the case for tier 6 and 7. You trade some accuracy, aim-time (not much even) and some DPM to get more alpha and penetration. Rather than making it an outright better gun, it changes how the tank is played. 

Dynamic... but odd if that is the case. So by that logic the second gun is the best gun for how I prefer to play the tank... :amazed:

Dont get me wrong, I like the makeup of the italian tank line, I just so far have had issues with the P.43's top gun. Yet in the Tier 5's case it's top gun doesnt do any more alpha damage than the other two, so its even more of an iffy choice.

Edited by NovaTempest, May 06 2018 - 18:38.

Maltfourti #4 Posted May 06 2018 - 19:05

Captain

• Players
  • 46806 battles
  • [FORTH] FORTH

View PostKamahl1234, on May 06 2018 - 12:31, said

I haven't gotten that far in the line yet, but from what you're saying, it sounds a lot like some of the french tanks, where the top gun often has crippling drawbacks. I kind of like that in a way, cause it means you set it up to suit your playstyle, as opposed to the normal setup of "all top parts required".

InappropriateHandHolding #5 Posted May 06 2018 - 19:40

Captain

• Players
  • 39575 battles
  • [YOUJO] YOUJO
The tier 4 and 5 Italians are ment to be played in brawling range if you are top tier and if you are bottem tier well good luck to you doing anything

KanataKonoe #6 Posted May 06 2018 - 19:45

Major

• -Players-
  • 31310 battles
  • [AMICO] AMICO

I loved the tier 4 Italian tank....

I'm hating the tier 5... I ain't a fan of the aim time.

NovaTempest #7 Posted May 06 2018 - 20:08

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 10434 battles

View PostSenaKashiwazaki, on May 06 2018 - 13:45, said:

I loved the tier 4 Italian tank....

I'm hating the tier 5... I ain't a fan of the aim time.

Again, whats hilarious is that the Tier 5 has hull armor identical to the T-34-85M, so...

View Postminneerminneer, on May 06 2018 - 13:40, said:

The tier 4 and 5 Italians are meant to be played in brawling range if you are top tier and if you are bottem tier well good luck to you doing anything

Basically what Minneer said, Though I tend to wind up in standoff medium range, and if you load HE odds are your shots will hurt when they land on their targets. The P.43 can almost one-shot T67s which I find hilarious. I nuked two today. :D

I think one other major problem is that I tended to get bottom tiered this weekend (I say this in past tense because as I speak i got the P.43 bis off a very nice win in the P.43.), and that the P.43 is also very vulnerable to arties, I had a Grille one-shot me from full health in that tank... :arta:

Edited by NovaTempest, May 06 2018 - 20:11.

oldewolfe #8 Posted May 06 2018 - 20:14

Major

• -Players-
  • 25564 battles
  • [1STBN] 1STBN

Ditto on the 4 and 5, but I also liked the 3 as well.....      5 was just Way Unimpressive....

The 6 is, shall we say less than Stellar as well....      Yah, the 90mm is Nice when it works, but it's too Erratic in the long run....      Some due to Slow Velocity that is Corrected on Paper, but I have yet to see it since I don't have it Yet...    

I have a Good Crew in there from my Progetto 46, and still it's disappointing at times....

Kamahl1234 #9 Posted May 06 2018 - 20:40

Major

• Players
  • 18396 battles

View PostNovaTempest, on May 06 2018 - 17:36, said:

Dynamic... but odd if that is the case. So by that logic the second gun is the best gun for how I prefer to play the tank... :amazed:

Dont get me wrong, I like the makeup of the italian tank line, I just so far have had issues with the P.43's top gun. Yet in the Tier 5's case it's top gun doesnt do any more alpha damage than the other two, so its even more of an iffy choice.

A few lines are like this actually, especially with some where the upgrade results in things like decreased DPM in favor of higher alpha. 

If you prefer to use the second gun and do better with it, all the power to you. For the tier 5 it seems to be more about what you're comfortable with, whether it's better handling with lower pen, or worse handling with better pen (both small amounts).

Kamahl1234 #10 Posted May 06 2018 - 20:42

Major

• Players
  • 18396 battles

View PostMaltfourti, on May 06 2018 - 18:05, said:

I haven't gotten that far in the line yet, but from what you're saying, it sounds a lot like some of the french tanks, where the top gun often has crippling drawbacks. I kind of like that in a way, cause it means you set it up to suit your playstyle, as opposed to the normal setup of "all top parts required".

In the regards of the Italians, these are less "crippling" but the top guns have some drawbacks to the middle guns, and aren't just straight upgrades. But yes, kind of similar idea to the French tanks where you choose based on your preferred way to play, yeah. 

I share this, as it makes tanks less reliant on the top gun and offers more variety. Though not all tanks are suited for it.

Shibadogdog #11 Posted May 06 2018 - 20:42

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 55318 battles
  • [DPS] DPS
There are lots of tanks that this is true of, many times the top gun looks better on paper but the DPM goes way down. The highest pen/damage- long reload and poor aim times. It's up to you to figure out what works with your play style .

TheRedstoneBox #12 Posted Nov 05 2018 - 01:52

Private

• -Players-
  • 964 battles
  • [_G_M_] _G_M_

oof just play murica

i havent tried the line yet but im lookin forward to it

but as others have said, i see it best played as a brawler, more of a head-on type or medium range.

yes im a noob but im ok at this game

hp means horse power right? see i told you

Edited by TheRedstoneBox, Nov 05 2018 - 01:55.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users