• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

DomoSapien #1 Posted May 07 2018 - 23:08

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 13235 battles
  • [WGA] WGA

Hey Tankers! 
This week's featured map for Map Mondays is: Steppes!
Last week's guide: Province
Map Mondays Master List
Check out the video below and enjoy the soundtrack for Steppes on a tour through the scenic mountainous countryside, featuring a massive German Railway gun in the backdrop.

Having received just a few tweaks to the Northeast and Southeast Corners, the flow of gameplay on Steppes remains relatively the same, with a bit more potential for brawling in the Northeast.
Visual Guide: 

Spawn Sniping: 
Both Spawns offer ample opportunities for sniping, and countering light tanks bold enough to play up the middle in the "Danger Zone" or scout along the field. There are some rocks in the field that LT's like to rush, so be aware of these locations as they can become quite a nuisance if they manage to dig in behind hard cover.
It's important to note that you will often struggle to find targets unless you flex over to another flank after the initial deployment phase. Keeping in mind that placing your vehicle somewhere that you must wait for a flank to collapse is planning for failure! Doing so is also a disservice to your team, because your allies are fighting with one less teammate to support them. Rotate early, and rotate often.

Expand

Eastern Brawl:
Typically, most of your Mediums will gravitate towards the East, however it's necessary to have a healthy supply of Heavies to brawl along the lower riverbed area on the far East. While there are opportunities to trade shots on the steppe above, the majority of your Eastern Push will be decided in this riverbed. However, it's important to remember that you need to defend the Western Flank as well. Deploy carefully, since leaving either side might leave your allies (our you) outgunned.

Expand

The Northeast Corner

This area is arguably the one that has undergone the most significant changes. The previous drop down to the riverbed was scattered with some small hills and valleys, as well as an elevated sniping area that may offer temporary concealment for Stealthy TD's and mediums. It's now possible for the North team to fall back early when losing the Riverbed area, and engage in a hull-down brawl while covering their retreat to base. Always remember that it's better to stay alive and keep firing than pick up some extra damage at the cost of your hitpoints.

Expand

The Western Brawl:
While it's easy to say that this is where most Heavies and large-caliber assault TD's will go, it's important to note that committing your entire heavy push to this flank may very well result in your East flank being outgunned. There is no one-size-fits-all solution to steppes; making note of the enemy team composition and predicting their deployment, as well as flexing away from your initial positions as long as you have the mobility is of paramount importance on this map. Take care when approaching distant cover positions, as a favorable spawn point for the enemy may result in your getting tagged with some shots while you cross. Utilize the rocks and hill-cover to go hulldown, but take care to avoid enemy SPG fire or relocate often. There isn't much vertical cover to go around here.

Expand

That's about it! Do you have any go-to spots on Steppes?

What do y'all think of this weekly guide series? Are the screenshots etc. helpful? Would they be helpful to new players? Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

_Gungrave_ #2 Posted May 08 2018 - 00:32

Major

• Players
  • 40712 battles
Aww, no mention of the J2 bush...that bush is so OP for sniper tanks so long as they have an understanding of spotting mechanics.

omi5cron #3 Posted May 08 2018 - 01:20

Captain

• Players
  • 20365 battles
  • [2323] 2323
J2 bush is/was great. cant really say in new version,have only gotten north spawn.

_Gungrave_ #4 Posted May 08 2018 - 02:59

Major

• Players
  • 40712 battles

View Postomi5cron, on May 08 2018 - 01:20, said:

J2 bush is/was great. cant really say in new version,have only gotten north spawn.

Its still the same old reliable bush...hell of a lot better than that crappy rock that north spawn gets in the west.

DomoSapien #5 Posted May 08 2018 - 15:26

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 13235 battles
  • [WGA] WGA

View Post_Gungrave_, on May 07 2018 - 17:32, said:

Aww, no mention of the J2 bush...that bush is so OP for sniper tanks so long as they have an understanding of spotting mechanics.

View Postomi5cron, on May 07 2018 - 18:20, said:

Feelsbad, man.. I've been playing this game for 6 years and I don't think I've ever sat in that bush.

CabbageMechanic #6 Posted May 08 2018 - 16:25

Senior Community Manager

• Administrator
  • 7718 battles
  • [WGA] WGA

View PostDomoSapien, on May 08 2018 - 06:26, said:

Feelsbad, man.. I've been playing this game for 6 years and I don't think I've ever sat in that bush.

xtc4 #7 Posted May 08 2018 - 16:29

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 23565 battles
  • [DHO-X] DHO-X

The east still seems to be the key to the map. As before, a team that wins the east can most easily dominate both bases and flex back and forth between them.  I almost never go west in any tank; my team's deployment has to require me to go west before I go there. (The canard that heavies go west and mediums go east is just foolishness and always has been.)

More than any other map, I see players texting that they are going west because "someone has to protect that flank." I want to gnash my teeth when I see that. Your flank is wherever you are. A team can pretty easily lemming train east and protect the base from the hull-down positions around A7 or G0.

In the old days, I might have rushed out to the spotting position at E7 in a light tank. But nowadays, that move seems almost suicidal and rarely bears fruit.

If you spawn north and have a hard turret, that side-hill position at B9-C9 still seems pretty dominant.

Edited by xtc4, May 08 2018 - 16:34.

DomoSapien #8 Posted May 08 2018 - 21:29

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 13235 battles
  • [WGA] WGA

View Postxtc4, on May 08 2018 - 09:29, said:

The east still seems to be the key to the map. As before, a team that wins the east can most easily dominate both bases and flex back and forth between them.  I almost never go west in any tank; my team's deployment has to require me to go west before I go there. (The canard that heavies go west and mediums go east is just foolishness and always has been.)

More than any other map, I see players texting that they are going west because "someone has to protect that flank." I want to gnash my teeth when I see that. Your flank is wherever you are. A team can pretty easily lemming train east and protect the base from the hull-down positions around A7 or G0.

In the old days, I might have rushed out to the spotting position at E7 in a light tank. But nowadays, that move seems almost suicidal and rarely bears fruit.

If you spawn north and have a hard turret, that side-hill position at B9-C9 still seems pretty dominant.

If I'm playing a heavy with really strong frontal armor (say, top tier in my mutant, IS-3, or Defender) and I can bait shots on my pike against the front corner rock on the South side of the West, I like to go there and see how long I can confuse the enemy team into thinking there are more tanks there with me. Often you can stall the flank long enough to give your overwhelming East push the momentum it needs. 

I would agree that it seems like you can make the most difference by committing the bulk of your push to that riverbed area, hugging the side where the flag would be on an encounter battle and trading hull-down shots. On the other hand I've had a few games now where we successfully push past that area, only to get bottlenecked by enemy crossfire in the Northeast corner. I had a Tiger (P) push out to the little rock formation at A8 and punish the hell out of me every time I turned my turret away from him. 

_Gungrave_ #9 Posted May 08 2018 - 22:38

Major

• Players
  • 40712 battles

View PostCabbageMechanic, on May 08 2018 - 16:25, said:

I don't think I've ever seen WG staff meme joke one another before LOL.

DomoSapien #10 Posted May 08 2018 - 22:48

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 13235 battles
  • [WGA] WGA

View Post_Gungrave_, on May 08 2018 - 15:38, said:

I don't think I've ever seen WG staff meme joke one another before LOL.

Yeah he got an upvote from me on that one xD

D_Jackson531 #11 Posted Jun 14 2018 - 03:39

Sergeant

• Players
  • 53051 battles
  • [ROGER] ROGER

I enjoy Steppes, but I tend to play faster tanks with gun depression... and they love this map.  Ridges and lots of open ground for speed, speed, speeeeeed!

When in a TD  or medium, I always go east - either spawn.  I feel like I've got better flexing options for pushing the cap or running to defend the base.  

If in a heavy, well, if it has gun depression greater than 6 degrees, east it is.  otherwise I have to decide: is it worth the risk of going west?  If my team looks weak in the east the answer is no, and I go east.  But if west looks under gunned I go that way.  

Lights get the most variety, but I nearly always push the middle 'road' and spot first, seeking data to help my team deploy, then rush off to support a flank (...you guessed it; usually east!)  About one match in ten or so this results in getting spotted and insta-gibbed by TDs but I find I win more often when I get the spots.  

SPG play... well, set up where you can get shots at the east as best you can, and open fire.  If in a fast SPG, be ready to run away if everything goes wrong.  Don't hide in J0, it's not a very good place to be...

Also tagged with Map Mondays, Map guide, guide, maps, steppes guide

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users