Berlins Five cromwell b isu-122s thunderbolt is-2 rudy

25 replies to this topic

Jambijon #1 Posted May 08 2018 - 20:22

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 3004 battles
  • [WGA] WGA

Hello Tankers!

With the Berlin's Five going on sale, some of the community guys wanted to provide a breakdown of the tanks included in the bundle.  All tanks included come with a "zero skill" Brothers in Arms.

Most of it you may have already known and if you have any other input, please share!

IS-2:

Other than the T29 the IS-2 is definitely my go-to tier VII heavy.  The gun on this thing is amazing for tier VII.  Having a 390 alpha is really helpful when your dispersion is lacking and though its hull armor is a little thinner than the IS it’s definitely angled more efficiently so it doesn’t have that flat “shot trap” the IS has.  I would usually try to get into a position where my cupola was somewhat tucked away behind cover since it’s a fairly large target.  Your weak points are pretty pronounced so it’s best to ensure they can’t aim at you without moving their turret.

- Jambijon

Pros:

• Decent penetration and high alpha damage for Tier VII
  • 50 HP more than IS
  • Well angled armor with no “shell trap” at the turret base like the IS has

Cons:

• Terrible dispersion (0.44)
  • Only -6 gun depression
  • Tight internal module/crew placement makes it prone for critical damage.

Interesting fact:

A single unit of 10 IS-2s from the 72nd Regiment engaged and claimed to have destroyed no less than 41 Tigers and “Ferdinand’s” in several engagements between April and May 1944, claiming the loss of eight tanks.

Image from tanks-encyclopedia.com

Cromwell B:

The Cromwell B is a community favorite for tier VI strongholds. With nominal differences from the original Cromwell, players will feel right at home in the Crommie B, sporting its trademark white star and bumper stickers. Arguably the perfect marriage between DPM and mobility, Cromwells in general have amazing run-and-gun capabilities. If you're up against a team of these in a Strongholds battle, take care to focus fire and take these things out one-by-one because you want to take their guns out of the fight ASAP.

-DomoSapien

Pros:

• It goes really fast (64km/h)
  • Decent gun depression
  • A platoon of 3 is a force to be reckoned with
  • Runs circles around slower tanks (flanking nightmare)
  • Awesome DPM

Cons:

• Armor? What armor? (Very thin, not sloped very well)
  • Module/Crew damage should be expected
  • Can’t mount Vertical Stabilizer
  • Inaccurate gun when moving

Interesting fact:

“They saw extensive action with the British Army, forming part of the 6th Airborne Division7th Armoured Division, 11th Armoured Division, Guards Armoured Division, and 1st (Polish) Armoured Division. The tank was also used by the 1st (Czechoslovakian) Independent Armoured Brigade Group as part of the First Canadian Army in Dunkirk.”[10]

“Cromwells were used as the main tank in the armoured brigades of the 7th Armoured Division, while being used in the armoured reconnaissance regiments of the other British armoured divisions (Guards Armoured Division and 11th Armoured Division) in North-west Europe. It excelled at this task because of its speed and low profile.[20] The tank was praised for its speed and reliability, while its low profile made it harder to spot.”

Image from tanks-encyclopedia.com

M4A3E8 Thunderbolt VII:

I am a big fan blocking damage and at a distance the 123mm hull armor can perform very well when standing off against some fast firing mediums and light tanks. Blocking TD and Heavy Tank rounds is asking a lot of the Thunderbolt. Flanking with the beast is pretty great, which is what my favorite thing to do. You know and it pays tribute to the way the Creighton rocked the tank world.

- KrzyBoop

Pros:

• Comes with a “zero-skill” Brothers in Arms Crew
  • Great frontal hull armor (123.5mm)
  • Large tracks that will eat up HEAT shells
  • Excellent gun handling, dispersion and aim time rival other tier 6 American mediums
  • Decent top speed with good ground resistances

Cons:

• Turret armor is lacking compared to other E8/Jumbos
  • Bad acceleration, power to weight ratio, and has trouble climbing up hills
  • Has several weak-points – cupola, roof, turret ring, and machine gun port.
  • Low signal range

Interesting Fact:

“Abe Abrams wore out six tanks – all named Thunderbolt – during the war, but he never had one shot out from under him. He usually rode at the head of his columns, standing in the turret and chewing on a cigar. The New York Times reported”

Image from warfarehistorynetwork.com

ISU-122s:

This tank made me fall in love with TDs.  It speed is decent and the armor might be lacking, but oh man, once you get into a good position this thing just melts tanks.  There isn’t a lot to say.  This thing pumps out DPM and will sometimes bounce a couple shots with its front armor since the gun mantlet is rather large.

- Jambijon

Pros:

• Incredible DPM (+3k with BIA crew)
  • Good gun stats for a tier VII with a 122mm gun
  • Decent top speed
  • Great crew trainer for higher tier soviet TDs

Cons:

• Shell velocity is very slow – Have to lead your shots
  • Turn speed is lacking
  • Narrow gun traverse
  • Only the gun mantlet provides any real protection

Interesting fact:

"Whilst the ISU-122 tended to use armor piercing rounds, due to supply issues, they often found themselves firing high-explosive shells designated OF-471. These shells weighed 25 kilograms, had a muzzle velocity of 800 m/s, and had a 3 kilogram TNT charge. This proved absolutely excellent for AT duties as the explosion and shock-wave sent across the mechanisms on the targeted tank were sometimes enough to knock it out even without penetrating!"

Image from tanks-encyclopedia.com

T-34-85 "Rudy":

This tank is special to me because both of my parents immigrated to the United States from former-soviet-bloc Poland, and I still remember seeing re-runs of the show from which it originates, “Czterej pancerni i pies” (that’s Polish for “4 Tankers and a Dog” ) , on TV when I would visit family in Poland as a child.

While “Czterej Pancerni i Pies” was most well-known for the TV adaptation, it originates as a novel by Janusz Przymanowski. A key difference between the two is that in the novel, “Rudy” was a T-34, and not a T-34/85. Functionally, in-game the Rudy is virtually identical to the T-34-85, with negligible differences in weight and concealment. If you know how to play the T-34-85, you know how to play the Rudy.

- DomoSapien

Pros:

- Solid penetration and alpha for a medium of its tier
- Decent overall mobility and gun handling

- Great jack-of-all-trades medium

- Awesome decals on the turret, chassis, and barrel (featuring the crew’s hand/pawprints, the tank’s designated number 102, and the Polish White Eagle crest

Cons:

- Average hull and turret armor will not protect you from most vehicles of your tier or higher

- Happy gun: this vehicle does not have a lot of gun depression at -7 degrees
- Szarik doesn’t bark anymore :(

To clear up a common misconception, there is no special barking noise for 6th sense on the Rudy. This was a common misconception caused by some popular modpacks and some misinformation on one of our shop articles. We got quite a few "my dog isn't barking" tickets in Support, to the point where one of my colleagues actually had a sticky note on his monitor that said "the dog doesn't bark. It's a MOD!"

I'm dumb and I should feel dumb - Domo

Image from dziennik.pl

Interesting fact:

"Rudy" is Polish for "Readhead" or "Ginger" - it was named after the fiance and love interest of Gunner-Radio Operator Janek Kos, a red-haired supporting character by the name of Marusia Ogoniok. The vehicle receives its moniker in episode 5 of the television series.

Thanks for stopping by!  Good luck out there!

Edited by DomoSapien, May 09 2018 - 18:41.

Ken_McGuire #2 Posted May 08 2018 - 23:12

Captain

• Players
  • 28760 battles
  • [O-VER] O-VER

View PostJambijon, on May 08 2018 - 14:22, said:

IS-2:

Other than the T29 the IS-2 is definitely my go-to tier VII heavy.  The gun on this thing is amazing for tier VII.  Having a 390 alpha is really helpful when your dispersion is lacking and though its hull armor is a little thinner than the IS it’s definitely angled more efficiently so it doesn’t have that flat “shot trap” the IS has.  I would usually try to get into a position where my cupola was somewhat tucked away behind cover since it’s a fairly large target.  Your weak points are pretty pronounced so it’s best to ensure they can’t aim at you without moving their turret.

- Jambijon

Pros:

• Very good penetration and damage for Tier VII
  • Very high pen with HEAT rounds

Very good penetration for tier VII??? Great alpha, yes. Good DPM even. But 175 pen is actually quite low for a tier 7 HT. In fact, the only tanks I can think that are WORSE in AP pen are the British tier VII's. Is it workable, yeah - especially with 122mm x3 overmatching a lot. But Very good pen it does NOT have.

In addition, the Soviet IS-2 does not get HEAT. It gets APCR with 217 pen. I wouldn't call this "very high pen" either...

Cromwell B:

Cons:

• Inaccurate gun

I would say that the Cromwell B has decent accuracy at 0.35 - at least by tier 6 standards. The thing is that it has horrible gun bloom and so if you are moving anything, you don't get that accuracy.

M4A3E8 Thunderbolt VII:

I am a big fan blocking damage and at a distance the 123mm hull armor can perform very well when standing off against some fast firing mediums and light tanks. Blocking TD and Heavy Tank rounds is asking a lot of the Thunderbolt. Flanking with the beast is pretty great, which is what my favorite thing to do. You know and it pays tribute to the way the Creighton rocked the tank world.

- KrzyBoop

Pros:

• Comes with a “zero-skill” Brothers in Arms Crew
  • Great frontal hull armor (123.5mm)
  • Large tracks that will eat up HEAT shells
  • Excellent gun handling, dispersion and aim time rival other tier 6 American mediums
  • Decent top speed with good ground resistances

Cons:

• Turret armor is lacking compared to other E8/Jumbos
  • Bad acceleration, power to weight ratio, and has trouble climbing up hills
  • Has several weak-points – cupola, roof, turret ring, and machine gun port.
  • Low signal range

To be totally honest, for me the biggest "con" is the gun. Its base pen (128) is rather weak - especially for the questionable mobility. And while the gun handling is decent, the accuracy (0.38) is not as good as many other tier 6  MT's, and so you hitting weak points turns into more of an RNG thing than I would like. Add in the low alpha compared with other tier 6 MT's and so-so dpm... That said, for having that good frontal armor, especially at range, it is a good trade off.

While the signal range is hardly great, it is just barely worse than the Cromwell - which admittedly is not good either.

For the ISU and Rudy I would say you nailed it. But I would add that in the ISU I wish it could hold more ammo. That way I would be able to have enough of a supply of whatever round I want, depending on MM.

Edited by Ken_McGuire, May 08 2018 - 23:17.

BabA_YA6A #3 Posted May 08 2018 - 23:19

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 26287 battles
  • [T_K_O] T_K_O

IS-2:

Pros:

• Very good penetration and damage for Tier VII.                                        If you face maximum Tier VIII.
  • Very high pen with HEAT  APCR rounds.                                                  HEAT is only available on the Chinese IS-2. Facing Tier nine's (most of the time) and having a 217 mm premium round pen...LOL Smile_popcorn1.gif
  • 50 HP more than IS                                                                                    With the current 3-5-7 MM the 50 HP are no big advantage.

Interesting fact:

A single unit of 10 IS-2s from the 72nd Regiment engaged and claimed to have destroyed no less than 41 Tigers and “Ferdinand’s” in several engagements between April and May 1944, claiming the loss of eight tanks.

Edited by WOLPERTINGER_, May 08 2018 - 23:49.

Jambijon #4 Posted May 09 2018 - 00:18

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 3004 battles
  • [WGA] WGA

Ken_McGuire

Very good penetration for tier VII??? Great alpha, yes. Good DPM even. But 175 pen is actually quite low for a tier 7 HT. In fact, the only tanks I can think that are WORSE in AP pen are the British tier VII's. Is it workable, yeah - especially with 122mm x3 overmatching a lot. But Very good pen it does NOT have.

In addition, the Soviet IS-2 does not get HEAT. It gets APCR with 217 pen. I wouldn't call this "very high pen" either...

You are absolutely right!  Thanks for pointing that out.  I've made the appropriate changes.  

Ken_McGuire

I would say that the Cromwell B has decent accuracy at 0.35 - at least by tier 6 standards. The thing is that it has horrible gun bloom and so if you are moving anything, you don't get that accuracy.

Added better clarification to that bit

Edited by Jambijon, May 09 2018 - 00:19.

__WarChild__ #5 Posted May 09 2018 - 14:35

Major

• -Players-
  • 19567 battles

I somehow missed this post yesterday (maybe it was during my "timeout" )  Great post though!  Really appreciate your personal insight and experiences with these different tanks.

+1 OP!

:great:

__WarChild__

Edited by __WarChild__, May 09 2018 - 14:36.

maddogatc #6 Posted May 09 2018 - 15:58

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 29952 battles

View PostJambijon, on May 08 2018 - 19:22, said:

IS-2:

- Jambijon

Pros:

• Decent penetration and high alpha damage for Tier VII
  • 50 HP more than IS

Cons:

• Terrible dispersion (0.44)
  • Only -6 gun depression
  • Tight internal module/crew placement makes it prone for critical damage.

Terrible gun dispersion.  Everyone one knows Russian tanks have the most accurate guns in the game no matter what the stats say.  Watch this video comparing shots of KV-2, least accurate gun in game, vs Leopard 1, one of the most accurate guns in the game, both tanks still, fully aimed in.  KV-2 just as accurate as the Leopard 1.  Accuracy stats in this game are bullsh*t.

https://www.youtube....h?v=oKZ95l005wE

Edited by maddogatc, May 09 2018 - 15:59.

FlakKnight #7 Posted May 09 2018 - 16:01

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 12776 battles
The dog definitely barks

SpectreHD #8 Posted May 09 2018 - 16:32

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 16529 battles
  • [TT] TT
The 76mm M1A2 really needs a buff. 128mm penetration is just inadequate at Tier 6. It can perform when the US nation was released all those years ago. Now? No.

TheseViolentDelights #9 Posted May 09 2018 - 16:57

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 9755 battles
Yeah. Compare the guns on the Cromwell B, Pudel & Rudy to the one on the Thunderbolt.  Americans are stuck with a tier V gun facing up to tier VIII opponents. 

DomoSapien #10 Posted May 09 2018 - 16:58

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 13585 battles
  • [WGA] WGA

View PostFlakKnight, on May 09 2018 - 09:01, said:

The dog definitely barks

bravo9er #11 Posted May 09 2018 - 18:14

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 20589 battles
  • [FATE] FATE
I'm fairly certain the dog bark sixth sense sound was a unique feature to the Rudy when it was first released.  In fact, it preceded the standard sixth sense sound.  It was the only tank that made sound when the sixth sense went off.  The dog bark went away when the sixth sense sound was added to the game to all tanks, at which point the sound was nerfed to the same sound as all other tanks.

the_Deadly_Bulb #12 Posted May 09 2018 - 18:19

Major

• Players
  • 21757 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

Berlin 5 sold only in a bundle for $100+?

No thanks, only need the TB, have the rest.

Once again poor monetisation (read greed) means no money for WG from me. :honoring:

Yes I also call "Shenanigans"

Edited by the_Deadly_Bulb, May 09 2018 - 18:20.

DomoSapien #13 Posted May 09 2018 - 18:32

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 13585 battles
  • [WGA] WGA

View Postbravo9er, on May 09 2018 - 11:14, said:

I'm fairly certain the dog bark sixth sense sound was a unique feature to the Rudy when it was first released.  In fact, it preceded the standard sixth sense sound.  It was the only tank that made sound when the sixth sense went off.  The dog bark went away when the sixth sense sound was added to the game to all tanks, at which point the sound was nerfed to the same sound as all other tanks.

Lol! You guys are killin' me. Do you run QB or Aslain's? I bought the Rudy as soon as it came out, even before I was working with WG, answered more support tickets than I'd care to remember about the dog not barking, every time a new patch came out after there was a Rudy sale. Szarik never barked for me when 6th sense went off.

I'm going to go hide in a corner for the rest of the day

View Postthe_Deadly_Bulb, on May 09 2018 - 11:19, said:

Berlin 5 sold only in a bundle for $100+?

No thanks, only need the TB, have the rest.

Once again poor monetisation (read greed) means no money for WG from me. :honoring:

I'm going to go hide in a corner for the rest of the day

Well sir, you might want to retract that call of Shenanigans! You will indeed be able to purchase individual vehicles in standalone bundles this month. We listen sometimes :)

Edited by DomoSapien, May 09 2018 - 18:38.
I was totally wrong

the_Deadly_Bulb #14 Posted May 09 2018 - 18:35

Major

• Players
  • 21757 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostDomoSapien, on May 09 2018 - 09:32, said:

Lol! You guys are killin' me. Do you run QB or Aslain's? I bought the Rudy as soon as it came out, even before I was working with WG, answered more support tickets than I'd care to remember about the dog not barking, every time a new patch came out after there was a Rudy sale. Szarik never barked for me when 6th sense went off.

Well sir, you might want to retract that call of Shenanigans! You will indeed be able to purchase individual vehicles in standalone bundles this month. We listen sometimes :)

The delay is the definition of shenanigans. LOL :great:

Szarik barked for me. Always liked that about the Rudy.

No idea why WG had his voice box removed. Such drastic surgery on such a nice dog. :D

Edited by the_Deadly_Bulb, May 09 2018 - 18:37.

bravo9er #15 Posted May 09 2018 - 18:37

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 20589 battles
  • [FATE] FATE

View PostDomoSapien, on May 09 2018 - 10:32, said:

I'm guessing you were using mods?  There were some mods that conflicted with the dog bark.  I wasn't using mods.  Dog barked fine, just like how QB showed us in his YouTube video.

DomoSapien #16 Posted May 09 2018 - 18:39

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 13585 battles
  • [WGA] WGA

I'm dumb. You all get upvotes :teethhappy:

the_Deadly_Bulb #17 Posted May 09 2018 - 18:41

Major

• Players
  • 21757 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostDomoSapien, on May 09 2018 - 09:39, said:

I'm dumb. You all get upvotes :teethhappy:

#makeszarikbarkagain

TheseViolentDelights #18 Posted May 09 2018 - 20:58

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 9755 battles
I bought the Rudy as my very 1st Premium partly because I thought the dog barked. 

the_Deadly_Bulb #19 Posted May 10 2018 - 05:32

Major

• Players
  • 21757 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostTheseViolentDelights, on May 09 2018 - 11:58, said:

I bought the Rudy as my very 1st Premium partly because I thought the dog barked.

Szarik did bark, honest.

I don't remember when he went quiet but he hasn't made a sound in a very long time, mods or none.

Deputy276 #20 Posted May 11 2018 - 15:43

Major

• Players
  • 19063 battles
  • [3_NZ] 3_NZ
Go into the garage and click on the dog. Mine sure barks loud and clear. Even fools my cat. :) Don't know about him doing it in-Battle. i don't have 6th sense. I just assume everyone can see me at all times.

Reply to this topic

For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users