• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

Realign #21 Posted May 11 2018 - 21:05

Captain

• Players
  • 27851 battles
  • [RS] RS

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/577965-frontlines-for-dummies/

My frontlines for dummies, 3 minute or less text guide to frontline.  Now with more picture!

StrachwitzPzGraf #22 Posted May 12 2018 - 14:28

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 36281 battles
  • [PSYCO] PSYCO

For those of you who reviewed my guide -- thank you for wading though that 6 pages!   As I noted tactics would evolve and in the brief time since I linked it to this page there have been notable improvements to attack and defense both.

I won't try and maintain the tactical portion -- things change too fast, but wanted to emphasize the basic theme (as I see it) for this mode: Move, be aggressive, and capping (or stopping capping) is paramount to the win.

This mode is more of what I wanted from WoT virtually as soon as I learned the basics.  Thank you WG!

RF_Van #23 Posted May 15 2018 - 05:54

Captain

• Players
  • 10580 battles

View Posttimelabor, on May 09 2018 - 11:39, said:

I have REVISED my guide slightly and replaced the copy on Google Docs:

Here's the link to my posting in the WoT Forum Guides theads

http://forum.worldof...est-submission/

and here is the link to my guide

https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

That link is also in the Guides section post.

Well done. Lots of detail, tactical information, and a good use of map diagrams in the second half, laying out the common scenarios around each of the cap zones. Definitely a useful guide, thanks timelabor.

Jambijon #24 Posted May 15 2018 - 16:24

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 3004 battles
  • [WGA] WGA

Thanks for all the awesome submissions!  There is still time to enter and please ensure all changes or updates are done before 7:00pm PST | 9:00pm CST | 10:00pm EST. 

__WarChild__ #25 Posted May 15 2018 - 17:04

Major

• -Players-
  • 19413 battles

I don't have the time to submit a formal guide, but here's my informal one:

Front Line for Dummies:

1) Use a Premium Tank you had to pay $ for.

2) Load your favorite #2 shell

3) Use the "W" strategy on all maps

4) Shoot until you run out of ammo and then find a golden oasis to restore yourself

5) Rinse and Repeat until the clock runs out.

Guaranteed Satisfaction every time!

:medal:

__WarChild__

PS - Great job TimeLabor!  That's excellent work there :great:

Realign #26 Posted May 15 2018 - 19:25

Captain

• Players
  • 27851 battles
  • [RS] RS

View Post__WarChild__, on May 15 2018 - 11:04, said:

I don't have the time to submit a formal guide, but here's my informal one:

2) Load your favorite #2 shell

^ How to do Frontline wrong....

Azwing #27 Posted May 15 2018 - 20:27

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 24190 battles

Here’s a possible addendum about Combat Reserve mechanics that could be added to someone’s guide:

FRONTLINE COMBAT RESERVES

Combat Reserves are abilities / vehicle enhancements that can be used when playing Frontline (FL) mode. There are six types of Combat Reserves available: Airstrike, Artillery Strike, Engineering, Inspire, Recon Flight, and Smoke Screen.

Reserves are acquired by spending Supply Points in the Manage Reserves screen accessed by clicking on your FL tier level medallion on the Frontline garage screen. Each Reserve has five levels. Each level costs 1 Supply Point which is earned for each FL tier level you gain. Reserve levels decrease cooldowns, increase duration and effectiveness, etc. Note, you should spend your Supply Points as soon as they are earned, there is no benefit to holding on to them. Also note, Reserves are reset when you advance to the next Prestige level. At Tier 30, you should have all six Reserves at max level 5, when you begin working on the next Prestige level, you will reset all Reserves to zero.

Reserves are not restricted by vehicle class, only by available slots. Vehicles have between one and three Combat Reserves slots, depending on vehicle class:

Medium and Heavy tanks – 1 slot

Tank Destroyers – 2 slots

Light tanks and SPGs – 3 slots

Combat Reserves are assigned to the vehicle in the FL Garage before entering a battle. Reserve slots are shown on the right side of the consumables/equipment slots. Keybinds apply as per normal consumables (i.e., in battle, use Reserves with 7, 8, and 9 on your keyboard). Reserves are permanent, once applied. Reserves can be switched at no cost. Note that the Reserve does not expire and does not need refreshed between battles.

Note that a Reserve, once acquired in the Manage Reserves screen, can be applied to all vehicles. That is, there is no limit to the number of tanks with Airstrike, for example, and the cost of the Airstrike Reserve is only paid once (i.e., when you acquire it with a Supply Point). You don’t acquire five Airstrikes for five different tanks. You acquire one and it can be applied to all five of those tanks. Similarly, as the Reserve is advanced in levels, this applies to all vehicles that have that Reserve applied.

The Reserves

Note: effects increase with levels.

Airstrike – Cause damage and stun vehicles (16 seconds) in a 50 x 30 meter area. Damage and stuns award experience and an “additional reward.”

Artillery Strike – 4 second artillery strike on a 10 meter diameter area. Damage decreases with distance from the center of the strike. Experience awarded for causing damage.

Engineering - Provides a constant 30% bonus to the resupply speed and 30% bonus to the refresh speed of Resupply Points. Also grants a 60% bonus to base capture speed for the attacking team. On defense, damage to an attacker adds 5 seconds to capture time. Additionally, Engineering allows defenders to block base capture by driving inside the base circle.

Inspire - Inspire provides 10% crew performance of the vehicle and of all allies within a 40-m radius for 40 seconds. Effect stays active on allies for an additional 10 seconds after they leave the 40-m radius. Damage caused by Inspired allies earns experience.

Recon Flight – 15 second duration spotting within a 750-m area consisting of 4 circles, each 300 m in diameter. Spotted vehicles are lit for 20 seconds. Spots are shown to the player who activated Recon Flight, but transmitted to other players within the Signal Range. Experience is granted as per spotting damage.

Smoke Screen - 200 by 50 meter smoke screen that lasts 30 seconds. Blocks spotting and conceals vehicles within the specified zone. Vehicles within the smoke screen have 2/3 of the View Range value.

Finally, use of Reserve types is up to the player. Use of Reserves will vary depending on playing style, vehicle class, and battle circumstances. Some suggestions include: Engineering on brawling heavy tanks for capping/de-capping, Smoke Screen to shield allies trying to capture, Artillery Strike or Airstrike to dislodge stubborn defenders, and many more. Suggestion: any Reserve that has a cooldown should be used relatively quickly when it’s off cooldown since dying adds an additional cooldown period. A less optimal use of a Reserve is better than an unused Reserve on a dead tank.

JBomb001 #28 Posted May 15 2018 - 23:12

Private

• -Players-
  • 12530 battles
  • [PN_DR] PN_DR

Here is a link to my PDF version of the guide, hosted on Google Drive:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pmPCp3CnOGxFX-ngE0pP71TQfd_8BGct/view?usp=sharing

It's currently set (theoretically) to allow anyone with the link to view, but I have sometimes had trouble with access/permissions in the past, so let me know if there are any issues! This is my first time submitting something for a competition, so I'm excited to see where it goes!

Edit: Also, if you download the PDF, the Table of Contents has clickable links to the different sections :)

Edit #2: Also also, I realize that this is long AF. It's meant to be a reference, so people would only read the sections relevant to their questions about the mode, rather than reading through the entire thing (but it could be read in that fashion as well). And, honestly, my semester just ended and I didn't know what to do with my newfound free time, so I spent most of it the last couple of days working on this, lol.

Edited by JBomb001, May 15 2018 - 23:18.

__WarChild__ #29 Posted May 15 2018 - 23:23

Major

• -Players-
  • 19413 battles

View PostRealign, on May 15 2018 - 12:25, said:

^ How to do Frontline wrong....

The title of my posting is "Front Line for Dummies"

RF_Van #30 Posted May 16 2018 - 00:42

Captain

• Players
  • 10580 battles

View PostAzwing, on May 15 2018 - 11:27, said:

Here’s a possible addendum about Combat Reserve mechanics that could be added to someone’s guide:

FRONTLINE COMBAT RESERVES

Combat Reserves are abilities / vehicle enhancements that can be used when playing Frontline (FL) mode. There are six types of Combat Reserves available: Airstrike, Artillery Strike, Engineering, Inspire, Recon Flight, and Smoke Screen.

Reserves are acquired by spending Supply Points in the Manage Reserves screen accessed by clicking on your FL tier level medallion on the Frontline garage screen. Each Reserve has five levels. Each level costs 1 Supply Point which is earned for each FL tier level you gain. Reserve levels decrease cooldowns, increase duration and effectiveness, etc. Note, you should spend your Supply Points as soon as they are earned, there is no benefit to holding on to them. Also note, Reserves are reset when you advance to the next Prestige level. At Tier 30, you should have all six Reserves at max level 5, when you begin working on the next Prestige level, you will reset all Reserves to zero.

Reserves are not restricted by vehicle class, only by available slots. Vehicles have between one and three Combat Reserves slots, depending on vehicle class:

Medium and Heavy tanks – 1 slot

Tank Destroyers – 2 slots

Light tanks and SPGs – 3 slots

Combat Reserves are assigned to the vehicle in the FL Garage before entering a battle. Reserve slots are shown on the right side of the consumables/equipment slots. Keybinds apply as per normal consumables (i.e., in battle, use Reserves with 7, 8, and 9 on your keyboard). Reserves are permanent, once applied. Reserves can be switched at no cost. Note that the Reserve does not expire and does not need refreshed between battles.

Note that a Reserve, once acquired in the Manage Reserves screen, can be applied to all vehicles. That is, there is no limit to the number of tanks with Airstrike, for example, and the cost of the Airstrike Reserve is only paid once (i.e., when you acquire it with a Supply Point). You don’t acquire five Airstrikes for five different tanks. You acquire one and it can be applied to all five of those tanks. Similarly, as the Reserve is advanced in levels, this applies to all vehicles that have that Reserve applied.

The Reserves

Note: effects increase with levels.

Airstrike – Cause damage and stun vehicles (16 seconds) in a 50 x 30 meter area. Damage and stuns award experience and an “additional reward.”

Artillery Strike – 4 second artillery strike on a 10 meter diameter area. Damage decreases with distance from the center of the strike. Experience awarded for causing damage.

Engineering - Provides a constant 30% bonus to the resupply speed and 30% bonus to the refresh speed of Resupply Points. Also grants a 60% bonus to base capture speed for the attacking team. On defense, damage to an attacker adds 5 seconds to capture time. Additionally, Engineering allows defenders to block base capture by driving inside the base circle.

Inspire - Inspire provides 10% crew performance of the vehicle and of all allies within a 40-m radius for 40 seconds. Effect stays active on allies for an additional 10 seconds after they leave the 40-m radius. Damage caused by Inspired allies earns experience.

Recon Flight – 15 second duration spotting within a 750-m area consisting of 4 circles, each 300 m in diameter. Spotted vehicles are lit for 20 seconds. Spots are shown to the player who activated Recon Flight, but transmitted to other players within the Signal Range. Experience is granted as per spotting damage.

Smoke Screen - 200 by 50 meter smoke screen that lasts 30 seconds. Blocks spotting and conceals vehicles within the specified zone. Vehicles within the smoke screen have 2/3 of the View Range value.

Finally, use of Reserve types is up to the player. Use of Reserves will vary depending on playing style, vehicle class, and battle circumstances. Some suggestions include: Engineering on brawling heavy tanks for capping/de-capping, Smoke Screen to shield allies trying to capture, Artillery Strike or Airstrike to dislodge stubborn defenders, and many more. Suggestion: any Reserve that has a cooldown should be used relatively quickly when it’s off cooldown since dying adds an additional cooldown period. A less optimal use of a Reserve is better than an unused Reserve on a dead tank.

Thanks for this...good info and a useful addition.

View PostJBomb001, on May 15 2018 - 14:12, said:

Here is a link to my PDF version of the guide, hosted on Google Drive:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pmPCp3CnOGxFX-ngE0pP71TQfd_8BGct/view?usp=sharing

It's currently set (theoretically) to allow anyone with the link to view, but I have sometimes had trouble with access/permissions in the past, so let me know if there are any issues! This is my first time submitting something for a competition, so I'm excited to see where it goes!

Edit: Also, if you download the PDF, the Table of Contents has clickable links to the different sections :)

Edit #2: Also also, I realize that this is long AF. It's meant to be a reference, so people would only read the sections relevant to their questions about the mode, rather than reading through the entire thing (but it could be read in that fashion as well). And, honestly, my semester just ended and I didn't know what to do with my newfound free time, so I spent most of it the last couple of days working on this, lol.

Very nicely done JBomb...excellent detail, tactical information, and use of maps. A comprehensive and well organized guide.

BlackFive #31 Posted May 16 2018 - 05:19

Major

• Players
  • 28267 battles
Good luck all!

Jambijon #32 Posted May 16 2018 - 23:14

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 3004 battles
  • [WGA] WGA
Thanks again everyone!  We have compiled the guides and will be announcing the winners this Friday!

Jambijon #33 Posted May 18 2018 - 19:43

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 3004 battles
  • [WGA] WGA

The votes are in!

Thank you for all who took the time and participated in the this little contest!  The guides came out amazing!  Very informative, great job everyone!

Alright, the winners are as follows:

1st Place:  JBomb001

T26E5 Patriot or T26E5 (no skin)

10x  +50%Credits for 2hr

10x 100% XP for 2hr

10x 200%  Free XP for 2hr

2nd Place: timelabor

10x  +50%Credits for 2hr

10x 100% XP for 2hr

10x 200%  Free XP for 2hr

Participation reward:

sahmlockhart
BlackFive
bjorn1984
Private_Public
Realign

5x  +50%Credits for 2hr

5x 100% XP for 2hr

5x 200%  Free XP for 2hr

Congratulations everyone!  You should see those items credited to your account shortly. 

Happy Friday and enjoy your weekend!

StrachwitzPzGraf #34 Posted May 18 2018 - 20:20

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 36281 battles
  • [PSYCO] PSYCO
Congrats to JBomb -- his guide is amazingly complete and professional -- Well done and you deserved the win!

JBomb001 #35 Posted May 18 2018 - 20:50

Private

• -Players-
  • 12530 battles
  • [PN_DR] PN_DR

Woo, exciting! This was a lot of fun to work on!

And thanks, timelabor, I appreciate it! I also enjoyed looking through your guide and seeing what perspectives you had on the mode =)

(And also, thanks to RF_Van for the early feedback about my guide!)

BlackFive #36 Posted May 18 2018 - 21:24

Major

• Players
  • 28267 battles

View PostJBomb001, on May 18 2018 - 20:50, said:

Woo, exciting! This was a lot of fun to work on!

And thanks, timelabor, I appreciate it! I also enjoyed looking through your guide and seeing what perspectives you had on the mode =)

(And also, thanks to RF_Van for the early feedback about my guide!)

Congrats!

RF_Van #37 Posted May 20 2018 - 21:38

Captain

• Players
  • 10580 battles
Congrats to all who contributed. I have read each of the guides, or in Sahm's case watched it, and found them to be very helpful in understanding various aspects of the FL game mode. Well Done guys.

Anotherfriginreroll #38 Posted May 22 2018 - 15:37

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 7548 battles
  • [B-RAT] B-RAT
Another unpublished secret contest......

Hadez411 #39 Posted Jul 13 2018 - 14:24

Sergeant

• Players
  • 16259 battles
  • [O-VER] O-VER
need moar contests

Hadez411 #40 Posted Jul 18 2018 - 14:15

Sergeant

• Players
  • 16259 battles
  • [O-VER] O-VER
Do I need to come work for WG so we can get some more contests on the go or what?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users