Map mondays Map guide Strategy Himmelsdorf

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

DomoSapien #1 Posted May 14 2018 - 23:31

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 13275 battles
  • [WGA] WGA

Hey Tankers! Are you ready for another thrilling episode of Map Mondays?
This week's map is one we all know and love (unless we're playing SPG's): Himmelsdorf!
Last week's guide: Steppes
Play the video below and listen to a remastered take on the original WoT Battle theme while traversing the rubble piles and ruined buildings lining the streets of Himmseldorf, then dive into the guide below.

I'm trying a few things out with the visual format for the images in the guide, Let me know if these flow a little better than previous guides, or if you prefer one of the older screenshot formats!
Visual Map:

MAP KEY/LEGEND:

The flow of battle on Himmelsdorf is the embodiment of your typical North/South map. It is unlikely that an East/West split will occur, and typically the team that gains dominance of a particular flank ends up snowballing the rest of the game and wiping up the team that lost the flank. The hill is arguably the most important section, as many other areas can be defended with an aggressive position on the hill. On the other hand, if you commit most of your forces to a hill push, it is of paramount importance that you push effectively and quickly! Dawdling on the hill while allowing the enemy to sweep the Tracks or Tank Alley will result in your team's untimely demise!

TANK ALLEY

The alleyway in the east infamously known as Tank Alley is your go-to Heavy Bruiser location. Vehicles with strong turret armor or TD's with a heavily armored superstructure such as the T110E3, JagdpzE100, Maus, Type 5 Heavy etc. will feel right at home in Tank Alley. Offering hull-down positions and sidescraping opportunities for both teams, it is a vital push. Leaving this flank undefended is highly inadvisable. Note that Tank Alley is susceptible to crossfire from the West across the field in the middle, as well as certain areas of the hill. Think twice before overcommitting to the push unless you can get through it quickly and cleanly.

EXPAND

THE HILL

The hill is often the deciding factor on Himmelsdorf. There is a fine balance in terms of deployment, as it is necessary to deploy enough vehicles to hold (and preferably win) the hill, but ensure coverage for other important map areas. There are spotting opportunities, hull-down opportunities, brawling opportunities, as well as a degree of possible SPG support. If a team manages to sweep the hill and push down into Tank Alley for a pincer move, your other flanks will crumble rather quickly. 

EXPAND

WEST ALLEY

The West Alley tends to attract more TD's than HT's, as it arguably doesn't offer as much hard cover as Tank Alley, and favors vehicles with good sniping Characteristics. The firing positions for the West Alley cross over a bit with firing lanes from other areas of the map, so it's important to keep an eye on how many enemy vehicles are remaining and which push is going in/against your favor. It's possible for you to get sniped from the hill, so keep an eye on that minimap!

EXPAND

THE TRACKS

Typically, LT's and SPG's gravitate towards the tracks. The tracks are a risky push, with enemy TD's likely to be lurking behind several corners (See screenshots above as well). Stay mobile, grab whatever cover you can find, and also be aware of snipers on the hill. Vision control is key for lategame, spotting leftover TD's and aggressively pushing the enemy back line to hunt SPG's will be your likely lategame play in a Light Tank. It's possible to support this flank in a medium or heavy as well as situations present themselves, but make sure you have enough map coverage elsewhere.

EXPAND

THE BUNKERS/MIDDLE:
The middle field is a bit of a deathtrap. Theoretically you could rush across and proximity spot enemy tanks by hugging a wall, but it's likely that they will be spotted by allies in Tank/West alley anyway. Approach with caution. As for the bunkers, they do allow for some sniping opportunities across the field, but your mileage will most certainly vary here. I am a firm believer in the notion that by deploying to a position that will not offer you opportunities to deal damage to enemies until the lategame, you are planning for failure and putting your team at a major disadvantage. Don't overcommit to the bunkers, you'll probably be more useful elsewhere. That isn't to say you should ignore them entirely, but be aware of where your allies/enemies are and deploy accordingly. 

EXPAND

That one was pretty screenshot-heavy, wasn't it? Hopefully everyone enjoyed it, and some will find it useful! As always suggestions and feedback on my guides or guide format are welcome and appreciated.

OPINIONS FROM THE COMMUNITY:

EXPAND

See you on the battlefield.

Edited by DomoSapien, May 15 2018 - 22:10.

omi5cron #2 Posted May 15 2018 - 00:00

Captain

• Players
  • 20473 battles
  • [2323] 2323
i am really liking the map breakdowns you guys are putting up.easy to take in,even for a meh player such as me.thanks for the work!

HighCharity_AkemiHomura #3 Posted May 15 2018 - 12:00

Captain

• -Players-
  • 10131 battles
  • [OHARU] OHARU
Change Erlenberg the old was amazing now is ----------------------- *************************************

YANKEE137 #4 Posted May 15 2018 - 13:51

Major

• -Players-
  • 9473 battles
  • [6-ACR] 6-ACR
Himmelsdorf could benefit from some changes, it is way too stale.

BabA_YA6A #5 Posted May 15 2018 - 14:25

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 26103 battles
Himmelsdorf is one of the oldest maps in the game and one of the most boring one as well.

13Jake55 #6 Posted May 15 2018 - 15:32

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 14297 battles
Change a few sight lines add some cover in center plaza and make a 3 lane battle. 

DomoSapien #7 Posted May 15 2018 - 16:31

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 13275 battles
  • [WGA] WGA

View PostLewdPrincess, on May 15 2018 - 05:00, said:

Change Erlenberg the old was amazing now is ----------------------- *************************************

This is a Himmelsdorf map guide, not Erlenberg?

View PostYANKEE137, on May 15 2018 - 06:51, said:

View PostWOLPERTINGER_, on May 15 2018 - 07:25, said:

Himmelsdorf is one of the oldest maps in the game and one of the most boring one as well.

View Post13Jake55, on May 15 2018 - 08:32, said:

Change a few sight lines add some cover in center plaza and make a 3 lane battle. 

Personally, Himmelsdorf has always been one of my favorite maps. While I feel there is a degree of truth to 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' I do understand how someone who has probably played thousands of battles on the map might feel otherwise. On the other hand, there are quite a few players who vocally expressed their dissatisfaction with changes to Fjords when I wrote a map guide for that one; there will always be a group that wants things to stay the way they are and another group that wants them to change. Finding the balance between them is key.

View Postomi5cron, on May 14 2018 - 17:00, said:

i am really liking the map breakdowns you guys are putting up.easy to take in,even for a meh player such as me.thanks for the work!

Thank you! No really, thank you. I appreciate you taking the time to leave a bit of positivity on my thread, the reception to my guides has not been very encouraging for how many hours it takes to make them. It's good to know that there are some folks who benefit from these, and with that in mind I'm happy to continue writing these weekly guides.

xtc4 #8 Posted May 15 2018 - 18:03

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 23823 battles
  • [DHO-X] DHO-X

I am not sure that I agree that the hill is decisive. It takes time to climb it. And once you are there, you place yourself on the edge of the map in a non-flexible corridor. Sure, there are opportunities to cross-fire if you win the hill. But you can also be cross-fired from D3 and G3, which are more flexible positions to boot.

I would say that winning the lower level is more important and is more often decisive.

DomoSapien #9 Posted May 15 2018 - 18:48

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 13275 battles
  • [WGA] WGA

View Postxtc4, on May 15 2018 - 11:03, said:

I am not sure that I agree that the hill is decisive. It takes time to climb it. And once you are there, you place yourself on the edge of the map in a non-flexible corridor. Sure, there are opportunities to cross-fire if you win the hill. But you can also be cross-fired from D3 and G3, which are more flexible positions to boot.

I would say that winning the lower level is more important and is more often decisive.

Excellent points! Would you favor a particular lower lane over the others in general, or is it largely dependent on the vehicle you're playing? 

xtc4 #10 Posted May 15 2018 - 18:57

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 23823 battles
  • [DHO-X] DHO-X

View PostDomoSapien, on May 15 2018 - 12:48, said:

Excellent points! Would you favor a particular lower lane over the others in general, or is it largely dependent on the vehicle you're playing? 

To be sure, it depends on my tank and on the team comps and deployments. I might go tracks, 3 line, or tank alley.

In a very fast light tank, I may even start with a scouting run directly into the middle danger zone, make a right-angle turn west, and then come back on the 2 or 3 line. Sometimes you see quite a bit and might allow alert teammates to get shots up the middle.

BTW, I forgot to say thanks for these guides.

DomoSapien #11 Posted May 15 2018 - 19:19

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 13275 battles
  • [WGA] WGA

View Postxtc4, on May 15 2018 - 11:57, said:

To be sure, it depends on my tank and on the team comps and deployments. I might go tracks, 3 line, or tank alley.

In a very fast light tank, I may even start with a scouting run directly into the middle danger zone, make a right-angle turn west, and then come back on the 2 or 3 line. Sometimes you see quite a bit and might allow alert teammates to get shots up the middle.

Interesting, I'll definitely need to give this a whirl next time I'm scouting on Himmelsdorf. I always feel like I'm not making a contribution in my LT's when I get this map. Swinging around to the west alley and potentially spotting some TD's before they can set up shop sounds like a pretty reliable move!

View Postxtc4, on May 15 2018 - 11:57, said:

BTW, I forgot to say thanks for these guides.

Thank you for the support <3 I really do appreciate it!

StrachwitzPzGraf #12 Posted May 15 2018 - 19:44

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 34997 battles
  • [PSYCO] PSYCO

Guides are always appreciated -- thank you!

Only thing I note here is that there are two additional viable SPG locations A5 and K4 -- of these K4 is the better -- but both allow you to put shells on top the hill sooner and will less exposure than running to the A1-2 and/or K1-2 areas -- both of which have more firing opportunities of course, but I usually start at A5 or K4 and move after 1 or 2 shots to a location that reflects the oppositions deployment and where my shell might do the most good.

DieselDog79 #13 Posted May 16 2018 - 01:01

Captain

• Players
  • 31190 battles
could use a few tweaks. something done with the center so it would see more use.   

SenaKashiwazaki #14 Posted May 16 2018 - 03:09

Major

• -Players-
  • 16148 battles
  • [-L-L-] -L-L-
Great guide as always! :)

xtc4 #15 Posted May 16 2018 - 15:02

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 23823 battles
  • [DHO-X] DHO-X

View Posttimelabor, on May 15 2018 - 13:44, said:

Guides are always appreciated -- thank you!

Only thing I note here is that there are two additional viable SPG locations A5 and K4 -- of these K4 is the better -- but both allow you to put shells on top the hill sooner and will less exposure than running to the A1-2 and/or K1-2 areas -- both of which have more firing opportunities of course, but I usually start at A5 or K4 and move after 1 or 2 shots to a location that reflects the oppositions deployment and where my shell might do the most good.

Oh, yes. I like getting this map in something like the Bishop or FV304. From that A5 or K4 spot, you can put a hailstorm on heavies brawling tank alley. 

DomoSapien #16 Posted May 16 2018 - 16:09

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 13275 battles
  • [WGA] WGA

I appreciate everyone's input and positivity! You guys are awesome. If there's anyone whose tips I forgot to add to the 'community' section, please let me know and I'll make sure to update the thread :)

Plays_With_Matches #17 Posted May 16 2018 - 17:56

Major

• Players
  • 27349 battles
  • [K-H] K-H

Himmilsdorf is one of my least favorite maps. The only good thing about that map is you are mostly arty safe on about 75% of it. Other than that you stuck in a bunch of corridors with the new armor meta of the Obj 268 v4, etc... 

Probably the only map is like less than Himmilsdorf is ENSK.

PS: I should probably mention that as I am writing this post I just came off a match where I nearly got one-shotted by a 183 on the hill top of Himmilsdorf in my Pather II :(

Edited by Plays_With_Matches, May 16 2018 - 17:59.

_Gungrave_ #18 Posted May 17 2018 - 06:34

Major

• Players
  • 40798 battles

View PostYANKEE137, on May 15 2018 - 13:51, said:

Well if they added some walls around the hill to restrict the blanket hill fire across the map that would be a nice start.

Sure arty supporters will complain but no one cares about them.

ThePigSheFlies #19 Posted May 17 2018 - 21:34

Major

• Players
  • 63008 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP

View PostDomoSapien, on May 14 2018 - 17:31, said:

Hey Tankers! Are you ready for another thrilling episode of Map Mondays?
This week's map is one we all know and love (unless we're playing SPG's): Himmelsdorf!

uhm, no.

I despise small maps like this and ensk, and it's not because SPG game play...

honestly the only folks that "love" this map are those that love to brawl, or they're in slow pig tanks like the Maus and T95

Nonamanadus #20 Posted May 19 2018 - 14:37

Major

• Players
  • 27797 battles
  • [HBG] HBG

Kinda an unforgiving map if your team does not play together right off the start, especially on the hill. Saying that I had some good games with the UDES flanking the castle becuase my team knew how to play the map and one huge bonus is arty being hamstrung on it.

View PostLewdPrincess, on May 15 2018 - 11:00, said:

......sewage.

One of the most dynamic maps was turned into another funnel map, must have been the same group who thought the Object 268 Version 4 was balanced. :sceptic:

Also tagged with Map mondays, Map guide, Strategy, Himmelsdorf

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users