Frontline Poll: Arty/airstrikes

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

Poll: Strike reserves (127 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 100 battles in order to participate this poll.

Do airstrikes and arty strikes make Frontline more or less fun?

1. More (56 votes [44.09%])

Percentage of vote: 44.09%

2. Less (41 votes [32.28%])

Percentage of vote: 32.28%

3. Bacon (30 votes [23.62%])

Percentage of vote: 23.62%

Vote Hide poll

NeatoMan #41 Posted May 18 2018 - 13:51

Major

• Players
  • 25782 battles

View PostLpBronco, on May 17 2018 - 15:32, said:

Not sure why they get a free pass on the territory, but it is rarely possible to clear the zone without taking it up the tailpipes. There needs to be a moratorium on pursuing the defenders as they vacate the zone equal to the time until the airstrikes implement or do away with this element. There also needs to be a spawn protection mechanic that allows you to spawn without taking damage as it seems the start/end game both allow you to respawn in sight of the op for. Overall as a diversion, Frontlines is interesting although it's the size of the maps that I like the most. I don't find the overall game play to be that rewarding although the credit and experience economy seem pretty good.

I try get a head start on clearing out when it becomes obvious that we are going to lose the cap.  It's not that hard to read the situation.  If I am right there at cap trying to reset it, or think there is no way I'm going to make it out in time I stay put and farm as much damage before getting overrun.   No big deal, just respawn somewhere else.

I like it that my obsolete tier 8 german tanks are now useful after gathering so much dust the past few years. 

F0R_M07H3R_RU5514 #42 Posted May 18 2018 - 14:29

Major

• Players
  • 49624 battles
  • [_SF_] _SF_

Ok, last night, I exclusively played the Lorraine.

So much fun.  Shoot at stuff until all of my consumables are ready.  Then, pre-aim where I know there will be a target.  Send in the reconnaissance plane.  Drop the air strike to track.  Drop the arty strike to paralyze.  Shoot my round to destroy.  Rinse and repeat.

I'm sure my targets had beaucoup fun as well!!

BillT #43 Posted May 18 2018 - 16:29

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 26731 battles
  • [F-3] F-3

View PostMojo_Riesing, on May 17 2018 - 23:45, said:

A very good point.  With only 10 vehicles per side it seems the initial value of artillery players is in the first moments of the game, and having only 9 actual tanks to seize a capture point is a disadvantage.  Perhaps the player controlled arty/air strikes are intended to discourage artillery vehicle play?

Remember, they limit arty to one per front (3 on a 30 player team).  So that's half as many arty as you might have in a random match (3 on a 15 player team or 20%).

Maybe they're throwing a bone to arty haters by reducing the number of SPGs that can play.  (I do get annoyingly long queue times when I play an SPG  in FL).  Or maybe they're playing with this to see if they can limit arty to 2 per match in regular games.

On the other hand, SPGs get to mount LOTS of special equipment, so  you can bet the SPG player is also using an arty strike, an airstrike, and a spotting plane. And all of these work great for the SPG because he's normally in the overhead view mode; and since he can use them all in combination along with his regular shot, they probably work better for SPGs than they do for other tanks.   They make playing an SPG even more fun than it is in pub matches because you have  more things to do  and more "combo attacks".

notsonooby #44 Posted May 18 2018 - 19:18

Corporal

• Players
  • 3910 battles

View PostF0R_M07H3R_RU5514, on May 18 2018 - 13:29, said:

Ok, last night, I exclusively played the Lorraine.

So much fun.  Shoot at stuff until all of my consumables are ready.  Then, pre-aim where I know there will be a target.  Send in the reconnaissance plane.  Drop the air strike to track.  Drop the arty strike to paralyze.  Shoot my round to destroy.  Rinse and repeat.

I'm sure my targets had beaucoup fun as well!!

Don't mediums only have 1 available consumable?

The most annoying thing about arty strike is getting into a nice hull down position, getting some shots, and then 5 arty consumables just struck my centurion engine deck, killing me instantly without any chance to unmaneuver. They should make some sort of global cooldown for arty strike(i.e. 1 guy uses, 10s before next guy can)

Boogydude #45 Posted May 18 2018 - 19:18

Private

• -Players-
  • 7851 battles
  • [MUPPS] MUPPS

View PostCaptain_Rownd, on May 15 2018 - 13:25, said:

They need to get rid of air/artillery strike.  SPGs fill this role just fine.  There's no need to give everyone on the battlefield carpet bombing capabilities. 

amen brother

Mojo_Riesing #46 Posted May 18 2018 - 23:54

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 17763 battles
  • [ACATS] ACATS

Edited by Mojo_Riesing, Jun 07 2018 - 09:20.

Corylus #47 Posted May 19 2018 - 03:05

Corporal

• Players
  • 10533 battles
Remove the tanks completely and just have a mode exclusively devoted to top-down gameplay. Playing this evening 20-50 splash hits from airstrikes per game. Smaller area so you aren't hit on the move all the time. But at the very least lower the audio spam/number of strikes which is unbearable when you have a couple+ players simultaneously dropping their strikes on you to prevent capping.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users