Frontline Poll: Arty/airstrikes

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

Poll: Strike reserves (126 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 100 battles in order to participate this poll.

Do airstrikes and arty strikes make Frontline more or less fun?

1. More (55 votes [43.65%])

Percentage of vote: 43.65%

2. Less (41 votes [32.54%])

Percentage of vote: 32.54%

3. Bacon (30 votes [23.81%])

Percentage of vote: 23.81%

Vote Hide poll

diego999 #21 Posted May 16 2018 - 21:16

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 31282 battles
  • [-4K-] -4K-

Yesterday I got hit by one of those lovely arty strikes when trying to cap in a Prosciutto. From 100%HP to dead in 3 seconds. Not a chance to repair, move, retreat, nothing.

Waaaaaaaay too broken.

LpBronco #22 Posted May 16 2018 - 21:26

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 38166 battles
  • [TG] TG

View Post_Tsavo_, on May 16 2018 - 08:22, said:

The airstrike bomber run is fine, it doesn't delete you but may finish you off if you're low HP.

The real pile of fecal matter is the arty strike consumable and the fact that arty can stack both strikes in addition to it's own stun strike.  

It's rage inducing to be whacked by arty, stunned, only to burn your kit and start to move just to be whacked by an arty strike with a buncha shells and if you survive that, guess what?  Oh, yeah, the bomber run to finish you off.

Arty players who pull that on me become my only goal and I'll spend the rest of the game seeking them out exclusively.

As much as I want to agree with you in concept as soon as you have to start writing special rules for one class then something is obviously broken. It doesn't matter if you're being focused by a grieving spg player (which I consider them all to be as this is what WG has programmed them to be) or focused by three different strikes by other players the end result is just NOT fun or conducive to making me want to hit the next battle button. Ultimately, the fewer times I hit "Battle" the less money WG makes.

Ape_Drape #23 Posted May 16 2018 - 21:34

Captain

• Players
  • 39004 battles
  • [SOT] SOT

The arty strikes and bomber runs should go.

This is the territory of SPGs. This is an SPG's role in the game. SPGs are subject to RNG just as every other vehicle in the game is while arty strikes and bomber runs are not.

_Brew_ #24 Posted May 16 2018 - 21:37

Major

• Players
  • 19649 battles
  • [HARMZ] HARMZ
More fun.  

Hurk #25 Posted May 17 2018 - 02:49

Major

• Players
  • 49727 battles
  • [KGR] KGR

View Post_Tsavo_, on May 16 2018 - 06:22, said:

The airstrike bomber run is fine, it doesn't delete you but may finish you off if you're low HP.

The real pile of fecal matter is the arty strike consumable and the fact that arty can stack both strikes in addition to it's own stun strike.  

It's rage inducing to be whacked by arty, stunned, only to burn your kit and start to move just to be whacked by an arty strike with a buncha shells and if you survive that, guess what?  Oh, yeah, the bomber run to finish you off.

Arty players who pull that on me become my only goal and I'll spend the rest of the game seeking them out exclusively.

i dont waste time with the strafe attack any longer, instead i load up rank 5 engineering and take 10 seconds off the capture clock while you and your friends try to cap. 

for the record, i have had a heavy perfectly centered in the arty strike and done a whole 46 damage to him with the entire thing. its still firing from the friendly side of the map, and its still standard arty attacks with extremely small splash ranges. 

Mojo_Riesing #26 Posted May 17 2018 - 14:28

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 17180 battles
  • [R8DER] R8DER

View Post_Tsavo_, on May 16 2018 - 05:22, said:

I get it, multiple arty hits ARE frustrating and having the artillery player ALSO have the arty strike is....interesting.  Maybe not so frustrating when it's the red team player who's pinning you (and your team) down that get's triple whammied!  Going to "get" the guy who done you is ok.

However...if ever this or any game induces rage in me....it's time to find something else to do.

NeatoMan #27 Posted May 17 2018 - 15:13

Major

• Players
  • 25530 battles
I like the airstrikes that force defenders to clear out of a newly captured zone.  It keeps the battle moving forward.  I think defenders would spawn camp if they didn't have to clear out, especially when you only manage to cap out with one or two tanks.

Deputy276 #28 Posted May 17 2018 - 15:15

Major

• Players
  • 17929 battles
  • [3_NZ] 3_NZ
Thank you for the bacon choice. Since I never played, and have no interest in zombie tanks, bacon sounds REAL tasty :D

F0R_M07H3R_RU5514 #29 Posted May 17 2018 - 15:33

Major

• Players
  • 48854 battles
  • [FATE] FATE
I chose bacon, but I'll be repurchasing the Tier VIII Lorraine arty and will be using both consumables, so my reply may change to "More Fun".

Hurk #30 Posted May 17 2018 - 18:08

Major

• Players
  • 49727 battles
  • [KGR] KGR

View PostF0R_M07H3R_RU5514, on May 17 2018 - 07:33, said:

I chose bacon, but I'll be repurchasing the Tier VIII Lorraine arty and will be using both consumables, so my reply may change to "More Fun".

i did that (and scout) for a while, dropped the strafing run for engineering 5 instead.  stopping cap for 10 seconds is huge.

BillT #31 Posted May 17 2018 - 18:59

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 26417 battles
  • [FADES] FADES

View Post_Tsavo_, on May 16 2018 - 08:22, said:

I pretty much agree that the consumables stack too well.  And SPGs can mount four; I can pre-aim where I think you are, use my scout plane to light you, have a shell in the air before your Sixth Sense goes off, stun and track you, and then drop an arty barrage that should arrive before you can react, repair, and get out of the area.  And I still have an air strike to follow up with.  I'd be stupid not to take advantage of it, but yeah, I feel a little guilty.

On the other hand, while playing an SPG you will rarely make General -- and you can forget about being the first General.  Your profitability is poor because even if you don't die, your ammo is so expensive that the net credits per shot is paltry and of course, there are no premium SPGs.  I made General once and still barely cleared 100K credits net; in heavy/medium tanks just making major is good for two or three times that.  Your XP is similarly weak because you always share XP with the spotter.   

If you're attacking and your team stalls, you're highly vulnerable to being killed in your starting zone by enemy light tanks or air-spotted artillery strikes.  Any tank (not just enemy SPGs) can now kill you with its own arty strike, if you get spotted... and I usually get spotted 2-3 times per game in FL.   When your team captures the first zone (A-B-C), the battle runs away from you faster than you can keep up in most SPGs.  When defending, the loss of a zone puts you immediately on the new front line, so you have to turn and run at top speed and hope a light tank doesn't find you before you reach cover.  If you're defending in the final zones, there is no place to hide at all.  Attacking or defending, if a front stagnates you run out of ammo, and the positioning of the repair/reload points forces you to either drive way back behind your lines and spend several minutes not shooting, or to move dangerously close to the front and risk being spotted and killed.

On top of all that, the game mode only allows 10% of the tanks to be SPGs, compared to 20% in pub matches. SPG players get longer queues.  Only one SPG can spawn per front, so if the rest of the people on your front die and respawn on a different front, you're screwed.

I'm not complaining.  I'm just pointing out that it's not all strawberries and cream for the SPG players, either. This mode is considerably more challenging for SPG players (I like that), while being less rewarding (which I don't like). 

Sgt__Guffy #32 Posted May 17 2018 - 19:15

Captain

• -Players-
  • 3147 battles

View Postdiego999, on May 16 2018 - 14:16, said:

Yesterday I got hit by one of those lovely arty strikes when trying to cap in a Prosciutto. From 100%HP to dead in 3 seconds. Not a chance to repair, move, retreat, nothing.

Waaaaaaaay too broken.

Working as intended. It should stay.

Fractured_Raptor #33 Posted May 17 2018 - 19:22

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 18650 battles
  • [-RISK] -RISK
Nope. They aren't quick to charge and it prevents camping. If you want to hide behind a building to cap or camp a location in something with armor? Expect to get annihilated. It gives both teams an edge if you're smart with them. 

Fractured_Raptor #34 Posted May 17 2018 - 19:23

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 18650 battles
  • [-RISK] -RISK

View PostSgt__Guffy, on May 17 2018 - 13:15, said:

Working as intended. It should stay.

Yup. I bet he was hiding behind a building, which is what the strikes are for. Clear the reds or most of them then cap in force. 

LpBronco #35 Posted May 17 2018 - 21:32

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 38166 battles
  • [TG] TG

View PostNeatoMan, on May 17 2018 - 09:13, said:

I like the airstrikes that force defenders to clear out of a newly captured zone.  It keeps the battle moving forward.  I think defenders would spawn camp if they didn't have to clear out, especially when you only manage to cap out with one or two tanks.

Not sure why they get a free pass on the territory, but it is rarely possible to clear the zone without taking it up the tailpipes. There needs to be a moratorium on pursuing the defenders as they vacate the zone equal to the time until the airstrikes implement or do away with this element. There also needs to be a spawn protection mechanic that allows you to spawn without taking damage as it seems the start/end game both allow you to respawn in sight of the op for. Overall as a diversion, Frontlines is interesting although it's the size of the maps that I like the most. I don't find the overall game play to be that rewarding although the credit and experience economy seem pretty good.

Captain_Rownd #36 Posted May 17 2018 - 22:01

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 2159 battles

View PostFractured_Raptor, on May 17 2018 - 19:22, said:

Nope. They aren't quick to charge and it prevents camping. If you want to hide behind a building to cap or camp a location in something with armor? Expect to get annihilated. It gives both teams an edge if you're smart with them. 

Flanking is so easy and has become so routine on these maps there's no need to worry about "camping".  My main complaint is becoming all the heavies that are more interested in "flanking" up the sidelines rather than working into cap. 

_Holman_ #37 Posted May 18 2018 - 04:15

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 34632 battles
If all tanks have the artillery and air strikes, what is the point of having regular spgs in the mode?

Mojo_Riesing #38 Posted May 18 2018 - 05:45

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 17180 battles
  • [R8DER] R8DER

View Post_Holman_, on May 17 2018 - 19:15, said:

If all tanks have the artillery and air strikes, what is the point of having regular spgs in the mode?

A very good point.  With only 10 vehicles per side it seems the initial value of artillery players is in the first moments of the game, and having only 9 actual tanks to seize a capture point is a disadvantage.  Perhaps the player controlled arty/air strikes are intended to discourage artillery vehicle play?

Captain_Rownd #39 Posted May 18 2018 - 08:09

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 2159 battles

View PostMojo_Riesing, on May 18 2018 - 05:45, said:

A very good point.  With only 10 vehicles per side it seems the initial value of artillery players is in the first moments of the game, and having only 9 actual tanks to seize a capture point is a disadvantage.  Perhaps the player controlled arty/air strikes are intended to discourage artillery vehicle play?

No it isn't a disadvantage at all.  From what I've seen SPGs will ALSO lay air/artillery strikes on you as well, tracking you and knocking out your engine/driver so you're easier to hit with their main gun. SPGs are very useful in the capping game.  My T26E5 frequently gets nuked by this layering of multiple strikes.  (I guess I should be flattered by such individual attention, actually)

Edited by Captain_Rownd, May 18 2018 - 08:09.

GonnaBBQU #40 Posted May 18 2018 - 09:07

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 41517 battles
I find it hilarious that most people hate arty in normal game modes, but when it is put into the frontline mode just about everyone is using arty strikes. Nothing but hypocrites in this game.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users