Why Doesn't Arty Take Advantage of Killing Red Arty When Spotted?

Spotting Artillery

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

Ericmopar #1 Posted May 15 2018 - 03:39

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 923 battles

I have a question.

Since I have almost full camo and binoculars on my Pz1C now, I'm sometimes able to get behind the red lines and spot the red arty just sitting in the open.

I'm wondering why the green arty never takes advantage of this to get rid of an obvious threat on the map?

I can call in a strike both in chat and highlighting the grid, but nothing happens.

Same with OP tanks out in the open too.  It seems logical to take them out when they aren't under cover and just sitting there shooting, but rarely does green arty respond to take out the most dangerous targets.

Sometime the reds are just sitting all clumped together, another perfect arty target and again, nothing...

Lets not prioritize a type 5, we might win...

Edit do to brain fart.

Edited by Ericmopar, May 16 2018 - 13:09.

elemantis #2 Posted May 15 2018 - 03:44

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 13546 battles
  • [DEVON] DEVON
unfortunately most arty just go for something else since enemy arty usually die before your team arty can kill them. and remember arty takes a while to reload I hate having light put up 9 targets and [edited]that they died and I never shot anything while I am still load

death_stryker #3 Posted May 15 2018 - 03:49

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 4568 battles

Tunnel-visioning is all too common, especially when playing arty due to the ability to continuously shoot at targets. As little skill as arty may take, some situational awareness is still necessary, and many bad arty players lack even this.

If this frustrates you, try platooning with artillery (this also really helps with completing some of the later LT missions).

I'm encouraging playing arty?

...what have I done?

TheMadPizzler #4 Posted May 15 2018 - 03:50

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 39738 battles
  • [JARHD] JARHD
It's almost like arty has a 45 second reload... .. which is totally whack!  Like.... why don't they just shoot stuff when it appears?    I've also heard aim time is really good too.. so they should just change targets and shoot.  When I'm a scout, and I scout stuff.. people just need to shoot it.

Edited by TheMadPizzler, May 15 2018 - 03:51.

The_Pushok #5 Posted May 15 2018 - 03:57

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 10403 battles
  • [IT420] IT420

-some have a long reload

-they could be aimed at other things, requiring to shift, wait for the aim time, can take some time for this

-higher priorities going on at the time

-cannot actually hit it due to obstacle

-tunnel vision, not paying attention to chat/pings

-out of range

-maybe they are just idiots

jt1alta #6 Posted May 15 2018 - 04:08

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 34458 battles

A 40 second reload is to be expected at tier seven and eight. That feels like an eternity when scouting.

And this:

View PostThe_Pushok, on May 14 2018 - 18:57, said:

-some have a long reload

-they could be aimed at other things, requiring to shift, wait for the aim time, can take some time for this

-out of range

And :

Sometimes, stuff slides off my pizza.

Red_Ensign #7 Posted May 15 2018 - 04:15

Major

• Players
  • 7327 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

if you spot something that's way on the opposite side of the map from where they're currently aiming, their aiming circle will probably max out if they move to that (especially if they have to turn their hull).  they have to decide if they can aim down that new target before you die and/or the target goes invisible again.  usually keeping their aim to one area is just more productive than screwing up their aim to try for an outlier.

and also, personally I think it's more effective to obliterate soft(er) targets than chipping away at one hard target the whole battle and maybe not even killing him.  the type 5 is just as hooped if you take away all his teammates.  and as for spotted arties, I DO switch to that target.  again, because it's an easy quick kill (even if they vanish), and they can be a force multiplier, and they're an immediate threat to me.

mrmojo #8 Posted May 15 2018 - 04:19

Major

• Players
  • 19728 battles
  • [-LEG-] -LEG-
It's the arty club: I won't shoot you if you don't shoot me.

ViseGrip #9 Posted May 15 2018 - 04:38

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 40986 battles
  • [ROCKY] ROCKY

View PostEricmopar, on May 15 2018 - 02:39, said:

I have a question.

Since I have almost full camo and binoculars on my SPIC now, I'm sometimes able to get behind the red lines and spot the red arty just sitting in the open.

I'm wondering why the green arty never takes advantage of this to get rid of an obvious threat on the map?

I can call in a strike both in chat and highlighting the grid, but nothing happens.

Same with OP tanks out in the open too.  It seems logical to take them out when they aren't under cover and just sitting there shooting, but rarely does green arty respond to take out the most dangerous targets.

Sometime the reds are just sitting all clumped together, another perfect arty target and again, nothing...

Some arty do not have the range to reach clear across, other times the arty may not be the biggest threat on the battle field. Most of the time ....... by the time my reticle gets to 0 he has gone dark.

Dirizon #10 Posted May 15 2018 - 04:41

Major

• Players
  • 27063 battles
  • [THUGZ] THUGZ

View PostEricmopar, on May 14 2018 - 22:09, said:

No artillery, except maybe GWE, T92, Conq GC shoot at a Type 5. Nevermind in priority.

Arty does not want to do 72 damage with a direct hit to a heavy tank with huge sheets of thick and spaced armour. 

stalkervision #11 Posted May 15 2018 - 05:00

Major

• Players
  • 55811 battles

View Postmrmojo, on May 14 2018 - 22:19, said:

It's the arty club: I won't shoot you if you don't shoot me.

Wish this was true. When playing arty and your spotted you had better learn to move better then michael jackson!

Ericmopar #12 Posted May 15 2018 - 05:08

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 923 battles

View PostTheMadPizzler, on May 14 2018 - 19:50, said:

It's almost like arty has a 45 second reload... .. which is totally whack!  Like.... why don't they just shoot stuff when it appears?    I've also heard aim time is really good too.. so they should just change targets and shoot.  When I'm a scout, and I scout stuff.. people just need to shoot it.

Yeah, so why when I'm on said hill and pop shotting and spotting all this, sometimes for a couple of minutes... still nothing even when you have like 3 arty.

Even if I leave, the map shows their last location, which is usually where arty still is...

I_QQ_4_U #13 Posted May 15 2018 - 05:10

Major

• -Players-
  • 15842 battles

Because they're smart?

Considering that most SPG's are one to two shots to most tanks if an SPG is spotted by something chances are it will be dead long before you can even move you're reticle to it. Better to hit more dangerous targets.

They may be reloading, unless you keep something spotted it goes dark after 10 seconds, about 20 to 30 seconds before most SPG's have loaded.

They may just not be able to hit them.

Having said that I can guarantee that SPG's are the number one target of other SPG's because they are usually the biggest threat right from the get go of the battle. Take them out and it makes your game much much easier.

I_QQ_4_U #14 Posted May 15 2018 - 05:16

Major

• -Players-
  • 15842 battles

View PostEricmopar, on May 15 2018 - 05:08, said:

Yeah, so why when I'm on said hill and pop shotting and spotting all this, sometimes for a couple of minutes... still nothing even when you have like 3 arty.

Even if I leave, the map shows their last location, which is usually where arty still is...

I think you're either exaggerating or using one example for conformation bias. Not to mention most of your games are in tier 3 where most players have no idea what they're doing and if you're spotting SPG's for minutes at a time(especially with your 252) the question isn't why are SPG's not shooting them, it's why are YOU not shooting them?

Pipinghot #15 Posted May 15 2018 - 05:56

Major

• Players
  • 25960 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View PostEricmopar, on May 14 2018 - 21:39, said:

I have a question.

Since I have almost full camo and binoculars on my SPIC now, I'm sometimes able to get behind the red lines and spot the red arty just sitting in the open.

Because it's easy to play armchair quarterback and assume that everyone should do exactly what you want them to do, when you want them to do it, without thinking about the fact that they already have their own tactics, their own priorities and their own targets picket out.

Just because you think you've lit up the best target for them to shoot at doesn't make it true. And even if it happens to be true at that particular moment, that doesn't mean that your arty is ready and able to change their targeting from somewhere else over to the target that you have lit up. Compared to other classes, most arty takes a long time to reload and a long time to aim, and it's not just as simple as saying, "Hey arty, I lit them up, it's your fault that you didn't kill them fast enough."

If you really want to understand how to work well with your arty and to understand why they don't automatically do what you want, you should play a few hundred games in arty so you can see how often your teammates incorrectly think they've created the perfect opening for you. Go walk a mile in their shoes before you complain about it.

scHnuuudle_bop #16 Posted May 15 2018 - 06:36

Major

• -Players-
  • 15761 battles
  • [MUG-T] MUG-T

To be fair, he isn't really complaining, more asking why.

There are always lots of targets usually lit up if a light is spotting the artillery. It is a matter of priority, if I have several tanks and Td's shooting up my team, I am trying to help them, digging out hard to hit enemy red. The traverse and aiming on artillery is very slow, and even a slight twitch of the tracks and the reticle blooms and it is another 5 or so seconds to get a decent aim. 

So, if I am aimed at a red tank, I will wait til I am loaded and shot before picking another target. The bigger the artillery the slower all this takes. And as has been said already, getting aimed causes a bit of tunnel vision til the shell is fired, so your pings and requests may get missed.

Sometimes, what you have just lit is not reachable, either by distance or tall cover.

Most of the time I move and even if not I always  review the map between shots, I try to pay attention to requests and notices, and there are always people dedicated to hunting me. In a lot of cases, when it takes 5 seconds to turn, another 5 to aim, and still wait for the remainder of 30 seconds for a load, what was spotted is not lit anymore, or moved. If after all that, and it was artillery lit up, I make an effort to watch for tracers, I will try and countdown the loading time of what was spotted.  Unfortunately, usually someone else gets lit up, and there are multiple requests for fire .

Most don't ignore your spotting, I realize your vision is my bread and butter. 

Edited by scHnuuudle_bop, May 15 2018 - 06:49.

mjmdiver #17 Posted May 15 2018 - 06:51

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 4703 battles

Let me preface this by saying I'm not a particularly skilled or experienced arty player, but I seem to do better in that type than others overall.  I will play arty after running LTs or MTs for a while to slow down again. I also will focus on arty during missions for that type, but I seem to polish off the SPG missions pretty quickly.

I absolutely will move to counter arty if I have a shot available and am not targeting someone in a crucial situation... but it takes a long time to get re-aimed if it is a long way away from where I was targeting, and if that is the case, I look to see if they are going to get plonked by someone else before I pull my reticle off the place I was targeting before they got lit.

Arty can be very deadly and any opportunity to take them out of the game is worth taking in my opinion. But, as has been discussed, there are lots of reasons that people don't, and all of them probably claim some credit in the reasons you don't see more counter arty at times.

FlakKnight #18 Posted May 15 2018 - 07:26

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 12687 battles
Low IQ

TheseViolentDelights #19 Posted May 15 2018 - 07:28

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 8076 battles

View PostThe_Pushok, on May 15 2018 - 03:57, said:

-some have a long reload

-out of range

this guy nailed it

Dadrox #20 Posted May 15 2018 - 09:00

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 15059 battles
  • [77ARC] 77ARC

If I see one and I am able I shoot it before it shoots me.

Also tagged with Spotting, Artillery

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users