Why Doesn't Arty Take Advantage of Killing Red Arty When Spotted?

Spotting Artillery

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

_Kradok_ #21 Posted May 15 2018 - 09:29

Captain

• -Players-
  • 29015 battles
  • [NUFFS] NUFFS

View PostI_QQ_4_U, on May 14 2018 - 23:10, said:

Because they're smart?

Considering that most SPG's are one to two shots to most tanks if an SPG is spotted by something chances are it will be dead long before you can even move you're reticle to it. Better to hit more dangerous targets.

They may be reloading, unless you keep something spotted it goes dark after 10 seconds, about 20 to 30 seconds before most SPG's have loaded.

They may just not be able to hit them.

Having said that I can guarantee that SPG's are the number one target of other SPG's because they are usually the biggest threat right from the get go of the battle. Take them out and it makes your game much much easier.

^^^

I'm an arty guy first and foremost.  Marked every tier X SPG; 2 on the BatChat.  I'm not an 'elite' player, nor will I ever claim to be...That said, I'll hold my own, and can carry a conversation

If a light communicates his intentions, I'll track his progress and hit whatever he spots.  Counter arty is one of my priorities - especially on maps with obvious arty spots (South spawn on Cliff, Either spawn on Mines, Murovanka, Prok, Mannerheim, etc...)  

But...  Various arty have various limits.  Getting asked to counter when I'm in the Bishop, FV304 or ConqGC on many maps is laughable...and I'm also fearful of the lemming train leaving me vulnerable on one flank, or the team killing idiot who simply hates arty, the crap RNG...yada yada yada....  

Bottom line - I counter arty as soon as possible - they're a threat to me also, AND it helps the team.  

GonnaBBQU #22 Posted May 15 2018 - 11:09

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 44071 battles
I play arty alot and it just depends if I will counter arty or not if spotted by friendlies or concentrate on whichever  flank is being lost.. Most times it is the latter and if I don't then I'm gonna get rushed once the flank is lost. I rather shoot enemies which are more a threat to me than an arty on the redline on the other side of the map. 

edk_tpr #23 Posted May 15 2018 - 11:45

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 43629 battles
  • [SHIRE] SHIRE
player who wants to deliberately scout AND communicate effectively is a blessing (see Taugrim's 132 review), those that run around in a figure 8 wondering why no one is shooting what was spotted; needs to understand that by the time a large arty reposition's and the aim reticle shrinks that target has long disappeared.   Given a choice between taking off a one-shot tank/gun (72 dmg) or hitting a Type5 (72 dmg or less)   I'll take the first choice, any auto-loader is high on the priority list too.   Lastly due to the removal of AP rounds, tanks in a cluster where you can damage multiple targets are too good to pass up.

FrozenKemp #24 Posted May 15 2018 - 11:51

Major

• Players
  • 48635 battles
As an occasional arty player I would absolutely switch to that target if I could.  The hesitation I sometimes I have with counter battery all has to do with the delays while waiting to see a tracer and worried about only splashing the target.  But if a scout had one continually spotted and unmoving I would take that shot every time.  I know that my fellow teammates will be happier and probably more aggressive with that artillery gone.

pilgrim2223 #25 Posted May 15 2018 - 13:17

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 22175 battles
  • [13-AD] 13-AD

View PostEricmopar, on May 15 2018 - 03:39, said:

I have a question.

Since I have almost full camo and binoculars on my SPIC now, I'm sometimes able to get behind the red lines and spot the red arty just sitting in the open.

I'm wondering why the green arty never takes advantage of this to get rid of an obvious threat on the map?

I can call in a strike both in chat and highlighting the grid, but nothing happens.

Same with OP tanks out in the open too.  It seems logical to take them out when they aren't under cover and just sitting there shooting, but rarely does green arty respond to take out the most dangerous targets.

Sometime the reds are just sitting all clumped together, another perfect arty target and again, nothing...

Lets not prioritize a type 5, we might win...

Its all been said above including trolls   :trollface:  but when i play my arty i do play counter arty, i even stay still at spawn point if i see a scout setting off to spot and follow his/her direction across the map so if you ever want to pltn hit me up and we could benefit from some serious credits/xp ;)

SKurj #26 Posted May 15 2018 - 13:48

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 13512 battles

I can tell you where to find the answer:

Play arty

sergeantmine09 #27 Posted May 15 2018 - 16:16

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 12644 battles
  • [HHOUR] HHOUR
The only time I deny shooting at enemy artillery is when I am putting the hammer on enemy tanks hindering an assault on our friendlies. If I am on that Type 5, it is probably because it is abusing our boys in green

Seth_VonLiopod #28 Posted May 15 2018 - 16:41

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 17849 battles
You don't own a SP I C. You have one tank over tier V, and it's a Defender. 
Pics or it didn't happen.

BLEW_U_UP #29 Posted May 15 2018 - 18:05

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 25359 battles
If im playing and enemy arty is spotted I will kill him right away ! If no spots on enemy arty I will shoot tanks until he is spotted ! :arta:

Numerius_Titurius_Sophus #30 Posted May 15 2018 - 18:13

Captain

• -Players-
  • 12848 battles
  • [GSH] GSH
I don't play arty often, but when I do and enemy arty is spotted, I seldom move my site to shoot at it because lit arty usually dies within a few seconds anyway.

Hurk #31 Posted May 15 2018 - 21:50

Major

• Players
  • 52252 battles
  • [KGR] KGR

its actually quite hard to shoot a just lit target before it escapes. 

re-aim time on almost all arty is >15 seconds. tanks go dark in ~10. 

so unless the target was already close to where i was already aiming, and i was already reloaded/close, the chances are slim i will shoot it before it can escape your vision. 

QuicksilverJPR #32 Posted May 15 2018 - 21:55

Major

• Players
  • 25878 battles
  • [RPG] RPG

View PostEricmopar, on May 14 2018 - 21:39, said:

I have a question.

Since I have almost full camo and binoculars on my SPIC now, I'm sometimes able to get behind the red lines and spot the red arty just sitting in the open.

I'm wondering why the green arty never takes advantage of this to get rid of an obvious threat on the map?

I can call in a strike both in chat and highlighting the grid, but nothing happens.

Same with OP tanks out in the open too.  It seems logical to take them out when they aren't under cover and just sitting there shooting, but rarely does green arty respond to take out the most dangerous targets.

Sometime the reds are just sitting all clumped together, another perfect arty target and again, nothing...

Usually I can counter arty without them being spotted.  About 75% of arty players go to known places on the maps, and sit there all game.

Look for tracers, put rounds down range.  I blind shoot spots knowing arty goes there and have gotten kills and not even seen a tracer in the first place.  Same thing for known camping spots for scouts/light tanks.

Pipinghot #33 Posted May 16 2018 - 00:03

Major

• Players
  • 25960 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View PostEricmopar, on May 14 2018 - 23:08, said:

Yeah, so why when I'm on said hill and pop shotting and spotting all this, sometimes for a couple of minutes... still nothing even when you have like 3 arty.

Even if I leave, the map shows their last location, which is usually where arty still is...

You will never truly understand the issues unless you spend some time playing arty. Your "issue" is really not an issue at all, go walk some miles in their shoes.

LT_Moon #34 Posted May 16 2018 - 02:35

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 48402 battles

OP. Play it to understand the issue. Until you are experienced with all types of the tanks, you will keep having this kind of questions.

p.s. Sorry Pipinghot. I didn't read your post when I posted mine :)

Edited by LT_Moon, May 16 2018 - 02:36.

Zuikakoo #35 Posted May 16 2018 - 11:36

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 18264 battles

View PostSKurj, on May 15 2018 - 13:48, said:

I can tell you where to find the answer:

Play arty

A strange bit of news for World of Warships, the CV's (aircraft carriers), another tacked on minigame, is being trashed.   They've pulled all 4 of the premium CV's out of the shop *one of them was brand new and had been on sale for less than a week* and have come out in their developers discussions and have said, the CV's are getting trashed.   

So in short, WG has finally gotten the nerve to put an ax a minority swathe of a player base, are getting ready to tell them to try their luck in court and go play Fortnite.    So what does this mean for World of Tanks?   It means that Wargaming has finally gotten the guts to take care of their game, to cull out the unpopular types for the benefit of the majority.   So if they can do it to CV's, then there's absolutely no reason that they aren't going to do it to SPG's. 

So, hold off on getting too invested in that SPG.

Ericmopar #36 Posted May 16 2018 - 13:08

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 1071 battles

View PostSeth_VonLiopod, on May 15 2018 - 08:41, said:

You don't own a SP I C. You have one tank over tier V, and it's a Defender. 
Pics or it didn't happen.

I meant Pz1c... I don't know why, but I confuse those two.

I_QQ_4_U #37 Posted May 16 2018 - 13:53

Major

• -Players-
  • 18355 battles

View PostMirellemagic, on May 16 2018 - 11:36, said:

A strange bit of news for World of Warships, the CV's (aircraft carriers), another tacked on minigame, is being trashed.   They've pulled all 4 of the premium CV's out of the shop *one of them was brand new and had been on sale for less than a week* and have come out in their developers discussions and have said, the CV's are getting trashed.   

So in short, WG has finally gotten the nerve to put an ax a minority swathe of a player base, are getting ready to tell them to try their luck in court and go play Fortnite.    So what does this mean for World of Tanks?   It means that Wargaming has finally gotten the guts to take care of their game, to cull out the unpopular types for the benefit of the majority.   So if they can do it to CV's, then there's absolutely no reason that they aren't going to do it to SPG's. 

So, hold off on getting too invested in that SPG.

They're not being 'trashed', they are being changed. Could make them better.

Ape_Drape #38 Posted May 16 2018 - 14:45

Captain

• Players
  • 40647 battles
  • [SOT] SOT

View PostEricmopar, on May 15 2018 - 03:39, said:

I have a question.

Since I have almost full camo and binoculars on my Pz1C now, I'm sometimes able to get behind the red lines and spot the red arty just sitting in the open.

Edit do to brain fart.

There are a number of reasons...

Number one is they were aimed somewhere else and are probably reloading. Both of these take a lot of time.

Number two... There's a more pressing situation going on elsewhere on the map.

Number 3... Getting the sight on the target waiting for the circle to shrink and then firing usually ends up in your shell hitting an already dead spg.

BillT #39 Posted May 16 2018 - 15:19

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 26879 battles
  • [F-3] F-3

View PostEricmopar, on May 14 2018 - 21:39, said:

Your premise is incorrect.  While driving arty I've killed dozens of enemy SPGs in exactly that situation.  

There are many reasons it might not have happened in your cases.  Maybe your friendly arty was reloading and the enemy disappeared before he could aim and shoot. Maybe the enemy SPG was beyond his firing range.  Maybe he was prioritizing another target.  Or maybe he wasn't paying attention.

Edited by BillT, May 16 2018 - 15:20.

BillT #40 Posted May 16 2018 - 15:24

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 26879 battles
  • [F-3] F-3

View Postmrmojo, on May 14 2018 - 22:19, said:

It's the arty club: I won't shoot you if you don't shoot me.

There's no such thing.  Arty LOVES shooting other arty, because they're about the only thing we can still reliably one-shot.  We like it so much we'll even fire blind at tracers or likely locations in hopes of hitting an enemy SPG.

Your arty "club" is as mythical as the "light tank club" where one LT intentionally lets an enemy tank through so it can kill a friendly SPG.  A couple of jerks bragging on the forums that they do this doesn't make it an actual thing.

Also tagged with Spotting, Artillery

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users