WN8 at 2400 games?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

HarlandWhite #1 Posted May 15 2018 - 11:22

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 1149 battles

Hey all, I still consider myself kinda average at this game as I'm just at 2400 games now (this account is a re-roll after starting on the EU server for awhile, but both accounts total 2400 games). Just trying to get a feel for if I'm starting to get better, or if I should uninstall, or what. My ratings and WN8 got a lot better once I started down the M48 Patton line...apparently mediums are my thing because once I settled into the playstyle, I started seeing way better games and stats than I was used to. I'm currently at 1,100 WN8. Is that an expected rating for someone with 2400 games? Is it crap?

Currently grinding the T20 after having two MoE on the E8...I loved the E8, felt like I was rocking that thing, but this T20 feels like a totally different beast and I feel like I'm struggling in it. Must admit, getting kinda discouraged. I know it's a poke-and-shoot kinda tank and theoretically shouldn't be too different from the E8, but I think I got too used to the high rate of fire in the E8 and re-adjusting to something like the T20 is kicking my [edited].

Thanks for opinions/advice.

_Tsavo_ #2 Posted May 15 2018 - 12:09

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 42760 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

I've 3 marked both the T20 and Easy8, they're both comfortable mediums with great gun depression and okay mobility (better in the T20) the big difference is you go from the pew, pew playstyle of the E8 to a more refined Ridge and hill poke on the T20 using alpha and good gun handling to bully your way through things versus shooting your way out with a ton of shells.

As for WN8, I wouldn't personally put it on the forefront of worries.  I suggest playing for wins and the wn8 will follow.  As for what's good wn8 for less than 5k games?  Probably 900-1200 I'd say with a win rate right in the 50-51% range.  I generally don't expect base competency until 5k games (I consider base competency being squarely average and good contributing your HP in damage plus a 50%+ win rate) so for 2400 games you're on a solid track towards good.

Wn8 isn't exactly a good player v player tool anymore, but is a good personal measuring stick

Pipinghot #3 Posted May 15 2018 - 12:58

Major

• Players
  • 25960 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View PostHarlandWhite, on May 15 2018 - 05:22, said:

Just trying to get a feel for if I'm starting to get better, or if I should uninstall, or what.

No one can decide that but you.

Public battles are for everyone, from the best to the worst, never let anyone tell you different. Every player has to decide how good they want to be, and how hard they want to work at it. This is a game, so you have to decide your goals. Do you want to be really good? How hard do you want to work at being good? If you want to win more, and have better stats, then you'll keep working at it because this is a pure PvP game and nothing comes for free. The only time that other people have any say in whether you're good enough is when you join a clan that is specifically organized to do team battles (like Skirmishes and Clan Wars), and every clan has different requirements.

We all play this game for fun, the question is, "What is fun for you?" If winning is part of your fun then you have to decide how much time and work you want to put into getting better and winning more, no one can answer that for you.

SKurj #4 Posted May 15 2018 - 13:44

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 13512 battles
I am at 11k+ games and if I am lucky my wn8 is around 1k.  Difference for me is I have played the game for years, but not consistently.  I play for a few months, ragequit or burn out and come back over a year later, and each time I have to relearn...

MacDaddyMatty #5 Posted May 15 2018 - 13:50

Major

• -Players-
  • 28188 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

OP, you have combined less than 10000 battles - so really worrying about stats will distract you at this time (IMHO).

Just play and learn, enjoy and ignore the trolls. It took me 12k games before I knew what I was doing.

o7

~MDM

Edited by MacDaddyMatty, May 15 2018 - 13:51.

NomaeTheJester #6 Posted May 15 2018 - 16:32

Captain

• Players
  • 14317 battles

Over 1k WN8 is very good for 2400 games. You definitely have the potential to be very good at this game. Keep playing, even if that WN8 starts to go down. At 2400 games you are still early in accumulating experience (I mean real experience, not in game). 2400 sounds like a lot, but in terms of WOT's learning curve it really isn't.

According to Wotlab's time machine, at 2735 battles I had just pulled my winrate above my lossrate, but I was still below 50%. That means I probably had somewhere in the 900 WN8 range. And look at me now, over 10k battles later, I'm still improving steadily and my recent WN8 is (barely) purple (Ok that's enough stroking my epeen, it was just supposed to be an example). So yeah, you're great.

Edited by NomaeTheJester, May 15 2018 - 16:33.

HarlandWhite #7 Posted May 15 2018 - 23:24

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 1149 battles
Thanks guys, you've reassured me. I'm gonna keep fighting the fight. lol.

Bada_Bing_Bam_Boom #8 Posted May 16 2018 - 01:51

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 1228 battles

View PostHarlandWhite, on May 15 2018 - 11:22, said:

Hey all, I still consider myself kinda average at this game as I'm just at 2400 games now (this account is a re-roll after starting on the EU server for awhile, but both accounts total 2400 games). Just trying to get a feel for if I'm starting to get better, or if I should uninstall, or what. My ratings and WN8 got a lot better once I started down the M48 Patton line...apparently mediums are my thing because once I settled into the playstyle, I started seeing way better games and stats than I was used to. I'm currently at 1,100 WN8. Is that an expected rating for someone with 2400 games? Is it crap?

Currently grinding the T20 after having two MoE on the E8...I loved the E8, felt like I was rocking that thing, but this T20 feels like a totally different beast and I feel like I'm struggling in it. Must admit, getting kinda discouraged. I know it's a poke-and-shoot kinda tank and theoretically shouldn't be too different from the E8, but I think I got too used to the high rate of fire in the E8 and re-adjusting to something like the T20 is kicking my [edited].

Thanks for opinions/advice.

why would you uninstall?  why does it matter what your stats are anyways, mine are good but it has nothing to do with me.

TankFullOfBourbon #9 Posted May 16 2018 - 16:47

Major

• Players
  • 27157 battles
  • [DHO6] DHO6
The T20 is a superb tank when upgraded, but as with all the other tanks playing stock sucks. Dont give up on it. It is a different beast though, you leave the high rof for hard punches. Your gameplay will need to change too.

Edited by TankFullOfBourbon, May 16 2018 - 16:48.

HarlandWhite #10 Posted May 20 2018 - 01:37

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 1149 battles
Yeah adjusting to the T20 from the E8 has been a huge task in itself...I settled into the E8's gamestyle really quick and easy, then the T20 came along and just choke slammed me. I'm getting better in it though. I got 1 MoE on it already, and my average damage in it is 810 currently. WN8 went up 30ish points over the last couple of days.

I think I'm gonna stick with the T20 until I feel I've gotten really comfortable with the playstyle of it...maybe until I achieve 2 MoE. It looks like the next three tanks in the line are very similar so it would serve me well to get good at the T20.

dunniteowl #11 Posted May 20 2018 - 03:33

Major

• -Players-
  • 23886 battles

Now that you've got that sorted...  Let me ask you what I feel is the most important question in this equation overall:

Are you having a good time playing on the whole, regardless of how 'well' you're playing?

A]  If your answer is "No," and you don't think that will change, then, "YES," uninstall...

B]  If your answer is "Yes," and you getting better over time is just icing on the cake, then, "NO," do NOT uninstall.

I hope that sorts out any final points of contention for you.

GL, HF & HSYBF!

HarlandWhite #12 Posted May 20 2018 - 14:38

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 1149 battles

View Postdunniteowl, on May 20 2018 - 03:33, said:

Now that you've got that sorted...  Let me ask you what I feel is the most important question in this equation overall:

Are you having a good time playing on the whole, regardless of how 'well' you're playing?

A]  If your answer is "No," and you don't think that will change, then, "YES," uninstall...

B]  If your answer is "Yes," and you getting better over time is just icing on the cake, then, "NO," do NOT uninstall.

I hope that sorts out any final points of contention for you.

GL, HF & HSYBF!

That's a good question actually...I think the most accurate answer is when I'm playing well, yes I'm enjoying the game more than any other game I have. When I play like garbage over and over, I wanna destroy my computer desk.

That's probably the most truthful answer.

Edited by HarlandWhite, May 20 2018 - 14:38.

dunniteowl #13 Posted May 20 2018 - 14:54

Major

• -Players-
  • 23886 battles

Then you should stay and learn.  You sound like the sort of person who takes a challenge personally to get better at something.  Then again, most folks who come here asking for help and not excuses are that way.

Then there are those who arrive looking to assuage their bruised egos.

As a PSA to anyone reading this.  Read that last sentence above again.  Don't be that guy.

GL, HF & HSYBF

HarlandWhite #14 Posted May 27 2018 - 01:25

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 1149 battles
So I guess I'm really finding my place in the T20/American mediums in general...wow...I mean I'm not bragging, just super stoked and can't believe that I'm doing so good: http://www.wotinfo.n...59286&server=US

HarlandWhite #15 Posted Jun 09 2018 - 19:33

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 1149 battles

Guys! It finally freakin' happened...

I have officially aced and 2-marked the T20. WOW that was hard. But I finally achieved it. YES!! That was possibly the hardest thing I've done in a video game in years.

Edited by HarlandWhite, Jun 09 2018 - 19:34.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users