Play for Fun

play for fun

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

Praematura #141 Posted May 20 2018 - 13:25

Captain

• Players
  • 49961 battles
This is a team game, as such if you play bad your directly reducing the chances of a win for the 14 other “teammates.” Being bad at this game and getting owned constantly is no fun either. I don’t use xvm or even look at names of players, just tanks. You can see who is bad by where they go and what they do. Your in a heavy tank on the beach don’t be surprised when the team loses because you took a key asset in the wrong lane. When I started years ago I drove my Maus so badly people tried to to TK me. I learned where to go and that’s all anyone can ask. Learn something and contribute to the team. If you enjoy the game but teamwork is anathema try playing a non- team game.

Kenshin2kx #142 Posted May 21 2018 - 21:28

Major

• -Players-
  • 18111 battles

View Post_Tsavo_, on May 18 2018 - 11:27, said:

Oh, the grammar police!  Better run or your going to find them coming after you for you're screw ups!

Spoiler

Normally I'd agree with you, but there are circumstances where a debater makes it a point of knowledge expertise or of absolute information accuracy ... other than that, I frame most text exchanges as 'grammer liberal' mode - where almost anything goes, so long as the poster makes a valid point or observation. 

Sgt__Guffy #143 Posted May 22 2018 - 02:11

Captain

• -Players-
  • 3710 battles

View PostCognitive_Dissonance, on May 18 2018 - 11:18, said:

Nice catch, sorry, doh!

So in high school I took Latin and studied the use of Latin suffixes and prefixes in the English language, and yes we studied the roots and history of English.

I learned to spell it the old way, the new way, and yes, I did misspell it once at first, which meant I used the wrong word. This is why English is a difficult language to learn, lol. :trollface:

View Postkekaha, on May 18 2018 - 13:13, said:

Except you used the wrong word four times in three different posts, not just "once at first". You want some more Merriam-Webster? Try "I can't really decide if your excuse is more specious or spurious".

I studied Latin in Jr. High and HS, and yes this does mean I was learning about one of the roots of modern-day English. I guess we'll have to agree that there's a difference between "studying" and "learning".

View Post_Tsavo_, on May 18 2018 - 15:27, said:

Oh, the grammar police!  Better run or your going to find them coming after you for you're screw ups!

Spoiler

View PostCognitive_Dissonance, on May 20 2018 - 06:01, said:

They came, beat me about the head for my spelling, but gave me a pass because all 5000 or so of my users can still get to our cloud ERP system. So far a good weekend, only Escobedo MX had one group of tablet users with an issue, no other problems. That makes for a great tanking weekend!

Now,now! Play nicely.

Cognitive_Dissonance #144 Posted May 22 2018 - 19:04

Major

• Players
  • 40641 battles
  • [ANASS] ANASS

View PostKenshin2kx, on May 21 2018 - 14:28, said:

Normally I'd agree with you, but there are circumstances where a debater makes it a point of knowledge expertise or of absolute information accuracy ... other than that, I frame most text exchanges as 'grammer liberal' mode - where almost anything goes, so long as the poster makes a valid point or observation. 

Not that it matters I am sure, but as I pointed out, I was moving back and forth between an Active/Failover pair of firewalls while testing new/old code on two units during a live migration. So I would surf here, respond here, while flipping back and forth (over 5 days) between firewall code versions before actually moving to the final upgrade on both firewalls. So yeah, I was moving fast, and despite some push back from grammar police, the only reason I was in that Latin class is because I tested out of the "regular" English classes everyone else took. But, I foobed up, if you can't grant me a pass in this instance (maybe you did), not too worried about it, as 5K end users can still get to our Cloud ERP systems and never noticed a blip as I migrated from Cisco Prime/CX to Cisco FirePower/SourceFire engine. Besides, it has been hashed so much, not bothering with changing anything, it is all there for posterity.

Edited by Cognitive_Dissonance, May 22 2018 - 19:05.

Kenshin2kx #145 Posted May 22 2018 - 19:21

Major

• -Players-
  • 18111 battles

View PostCognitive_Dissonance, on May 22 2018 - 08:04, said:

Not that it matters I am sure, but as I pointed out, I was moving back and forth between an Active/Failover pair of firewalls while testing new/old code on two units during a live migration. So I would surf here, respond here, while flipping back and forth (over 5 days) between firewall code versions before actually moving to the final upgrade on both firewalls. So yeah, I was moving fast, and despite some push back from grammar police, the only reason I was in that Latin class is because I tested out of the "regular" English classes everyone else took. But, I foobed up, if you can't grant me a pass in this instance (maybe you did), not too worried about it, as 5K end users can still get to our Cloud ERP systems and never noticed a blip as I migrated from Cisco Prime/CX to Cisco FirePower/SourceFire engine. Besides, it has been hashed so much, not bothering with changing anything, it is all there for posterity.

As far as I'm concerned, its all good ... it appears you had your reasons for distraction.

Rimrender #146 Posted May 22 2018 - 19:42

Captain

• Players
  • 7866 battles
  • [SCARY] SCARY

Two groups, different year, same argument:

I dont really care about winning cause tanks are fun and i know that im playing against Those Guys.

I will never improve my game play and dont really care, tier 5 is nice. 

What is WN8?

vs

I spend every free second in game.

My ego is hardwired to my stats.

I openly attack and degrade anyone whose third party stats don't meet my ideal pixel metric. 

I attack and insult players i don't feel belong playing in B tier or C tank.

I team kill arty to make a point.

Of course i play for fun and unless you play exactly like me then you arent having fun!

Nunya_000 #147 Posted May 22 2018 - 20:56

Major

• Players
  • 21111 battles
  • [PACNW] PACNW

View PostRimrender, on May 22 2018 - 10:42, said:

Two groups, different year, same argument:

I dont really care about winning cause tanks are fun and i know that im playing against Those Guys.

I will never improve my game play and dont really care, tier 5 is nice. 

What is WN8?

vs

I spend every free second in game.

My ego is hardwired to my stats.

I openly attack and degrade anyone whose third party stats don't meet my ideal pixel metric. 

I attack and insult players i don't feel belong playing in B tier or C tank.

I team kill arty to make a point.

Of course i play for fun and unless you play exactly like me then you arent having fun!

Pretty much

Hurk #148 Posted May 22 2018 - 23:44

Major

• Players
  • 54694 battles
  • [KGR] KGR

View PostBillT, on May 16 2018 - 12:51, said:

No argument from me.  But how often do you run into a player like that?  It's been months since I've seen anyone suicide off a cliff.  I occasionally see people ram allies and make suicide runs, but I have no reason to think it's because they "play for fun".  That seems more like what someone does when they're upset.

And while you're limiting the "play for fun problem" to such clearly objectionable cases, other posters are saying that every red player is playing for fun.  They're complaining that people aren't good enough and use "play for fun" as an excuse not to improve.

It's sort of like "camping". The terminology is vague enough to let different people define it very differently and mistakenly think they're talking about the same issue, so it breeds confusion.

lets ask a slightly different question. how many tanks per day, do you see, that make no effort toward victory conditions and simply wait for the game to be won or lost by someone else? 

because to me, sportsmanship doesnt mean simply not being an jackhole, it also means trying to play properly. in a game with clear objectives, that means working toward them, however badly.

Edited by Hurk, May 22 2018 - 23:44.

Also tagged with play for fun

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users