Arty vs Frontline Arty Strike

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Lesser_Spotted_Panzer #1 Posted May 16 2018 - 17:27

Major

• Players
  • 75115 battles

Regular arty  encourages camping. Try to scout and blam. Try to flank and blam. Camp behind a rock or building and you are fine.

The Frontline arty strike lets you hit targets behind rocks and buildings, but the delay it takes from activating to hitting is long, so firing on a moving target is a waste.

So regular arty fails to do what the devs claim its purpose is, but the arty strike achieves this.

Perhaps they should consider changing how regular arty works to be more like the arty strike model?

the_dude_76 #2 Posted May 16 2018 - 17:34

Major

• Players
  • 32219 battles
  • [GSRM] GSRM

View PostLesser_Spotted_Panzer, on May 16 2018 - 16:27, said:

Regular arty  encourages camping.

Really?? Says who?? Because it has the exact opposite effect on me. When there is arty in the game, especially more than one, I'm constantly on the move, constantly re-positioning. In my experience arty players tend to give up and move on to someone else if you're not sitting in one spot making it easy for them...

Shaddow_Ghost #3 Posted May 16 2018 - 17:37

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 20656 battles
I agree. I think the purpose of the artillery strikes are to test artillery changes.. would be great imo.

Hurk #4 Posted May 16 2018 - 17:37

Major

• Players
  • 51158 battles
  • [KGR] KGR

the devs claim artys role is 2 things:

1. to prevent people from taking up spots of advantage (specific example, a hull down IS7)

2. to disrupt wolfpacks of tanks. (no specific example, but imagine your average rush of 5 fast mediums).

arty is perfectly fine at handling #1. arty is not very good at handling #2 

that you misunderstand the definition of "camping" is not the devs problem. 

https://en.wikipedia...Camping_(gaming)

YANKEE137 #5 Posted May 16 2018 - 17:39

Major

• -Players-
  • 10077 battles
  • [6-ACR] 6-ACR
The smoke screen feature is nice, I'd like to see that in pubs.

dominator_98 #6 Posted May 16 2018 - 17:40

Major

• -Players-
  • 19896 battles
  • [NUFFS] NUFFS

View Postthe_dude_76, on May 16 2018 - 10:34, said:

Really?? Says who?? Because it has the exact opposite effect on me. When there is arty in the game, especially more than one, I'm constantly on the move, constantly re-positioning. In my experience arty players tend to give up and move on to someone else if you're not sitting in one spot making it easy for them...

When there’s more than one arty in the game, being at the front of the battle can mean you lost 3/4 of your hp to tanks you can’t see. Sure, moving around makes it harder for them to score a direct hit, but with the crazy splash radius, they don’t need to hit very close to you.

Better to stay unspotted and snipe than get pummeled from the redline while you’re just trying to fight.

the_dude_76 #7 Posted May 16 2018 - 17:52

Major

• Players
  • 32219 battles
  • [GSRM] GSRM

View Postdominator_98, on May 16 2018 - 16:40, said:

When there’s more than one arty in the game, being at the front of the battle can mean you lost 3/4 of your hp to tanks you can’t see. Sure, moving around makes it harder for them to score a direct hit, but with the crazy splash radius, they don’t need to hit very close to you.

And it's that crazy splash radius that makes camping behind a rock a waste of time.

Block Quote

Better to stay unspotted and snipe than get pummeled from the redline while you’re just trying to fight.

Sure, if you don't mind losing most of your matches...

And how is it any different than getting pummeled by TD's that can't be seen, even though they can see you??  This is a much, much bigger issue. I can push on an SPG and he can't do sht without the help of his team spotting me. A lone TD can sit and hold a flank without ever getting spotted. How many games have you lost because a couple TD's sat back and took out everything that advanced on them without ever getting spotted??

Personally I don't get it. I rarely have any problem with arty. I enjoy the matches where there is none but I enjoy a challenge and arty provides more of that.

Boouck #8 Posted May 16 2018 - 18:16

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 5934 battles
  • [4HIM3] 4HIM3

View PostHurk, on May 16 2018 - 17:37, said:

2. to disrupt wolfpacks of tanks. (no specific example, but imagine your average rush of 5 fast mediums).

arty is perfectly fine at handling #1. arty is not very good at handling #2 

I love it when 3 or 4 or 5 tanks are grouped together when I am in my T92 HMC...One shot and lots of damage

BillT #9 Posted May 16 2018 - 18:16

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 26731 battles
  • [F-3] F-3

View PostShaddow_Ghost, on May 16 2018 - 11:37, said:

I agree. I think the purpose of the artillery strikes are to test artillery changes.. would be great imo.

The same thought occurred to me.

As an arty player, there's much I like about the FL Arty Strike:

- it falls at a very high angle, so it's fairly easy to hit people hiding behind obstacles

- it does damage over time, rewarding people who move out of the beaten zone immediately

- it blasts an entire area, not just a single shell, so it's less random

- it feels like an actual barrage

What I don't like:

- beaten zone is rather too small; spread should be larger, with the same number of rounds dropping, making a less dense barrage.

- the effect is too short; I'd prefer it to sustain longer, with a lower rate of fire.  (Same number of shells arriving over say, 20 seconds instead of 5 seconds).  I'd like it to be more of an area denial weapon, rather than a ninja strike.

Can it be applied to SPGs?  I don't think so.  If an SPG has to sit still for five or ten seconds once it starts shooting its barrage, that makes counterbattery fire very easy.   Allowing one gun tube to fire an entire barrage stretches reality farther than anyone wants to take it, anyway.  So to do the barrage thing would mean turning SPGs into an off-map class and eliminating the actual vehicles... I just can't see it happening.

Hurk #10 Posted May 17 2018 - 02:17

Major

• Players
  • 51158 battles
  • [KGR] KGR

View PostBoouck, on May 16 2018 - 10:16, said:

I love it when 3 or 4 or 5 tanks are grouped together when I am in my T92 HMC...One shot and lots of damage

yes, but thats not exactly what they are talking about.. they are talking about fast flankers that simply zoom in and overwhelm the enemy with shots before that enemy can handle it. IE 5 mediums vs say, 3 tanks, include a couple big slow heavies, and they are all food for those fast mediums. arty is intended to help with that somehow, but they lack the abiltiy to disrupt it because the tanks are both moving fast, and not clumped for a single strike. in the days of one shot arty kills, people were less willing to over expose themselves to wolkpack tactics since someone was going to die for it. 

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users