• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Elbroth #1 Posted May 16 2018 - 21:24

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 30855 battles
  • [REL-A] REL-A

Ok I am so confused........

I have been top Damage in many battles 10 - 11 K dmg  done now and yet never make it to General... What really does affect the leveling.. It cant be damage done..

Please help I would like to enjoy the mode more

Antediluvian #2 Posted May 16 2018 - 21:36

Corporal

• Players
  • 3549 battles

objectives yield the best results - capture/ killing tanks in the capture circles

GeorgePreddy #3 Posted May 16 2018 - 21:37

Major

• Players
  • 14345 battles
  • [L_LEG] L_LEG

I've done it a few times... it is largely damage done, but there is a minimum level you must achieve and a couple other factors. I don't pay much attention to that kind of fluff so I don't remember exactly what they were.

Antediluvian #4 Posted May 16 2018 - 21:41

Corporal

• Players
  • 3549 battles

View PostGeorgePreddy, on May 16 2018 - 20:37, said:

I've done it a few times... it is largely damage done, but there is a minimum level you must achieve and a couple other factors. I don't pay much attention to that kind of fluff so I don't remember exactly what they were.

the bs - ive reached general sub 5k damage

SturmEnte #5 Posted May 16 2018 - 21:41

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 28897 battles
It is probably damage/assistance damage factored by distance to the objective.

Ded_man #6 Posted May 16 2018 - 21:43

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 23653 battles
  • [-OGR-] -OGR-

Leveling up is based on experience earned. Thereby, doing things to increase your experience gain will rank you up faster. Doing raw damage, especially outside of 200 meters, often isn't enough or will take a lot. I've had many 12k-14k damage done, never made it to general and really don't try.

You want to capture, do base defense, spot, fire at targets that you too are spotting within 200 meters, etc. Anything that will help get you flat bonuses to experience earned.

Taggeth #7 Posted May 16 2018 - 22:08

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 11069 battles
  • [FRAY] FRAY

They give more xp for capping to encourage players to cap.  There are a lot of random battle players that think "kill all, don't cap."  This is to discourage that mentality.

To be fair to everyone, they also award higher xp to those that challenge the capping team.  Taking/denying the objectives will get you to general rank faster than anything else.

ThePigSheFlies #8 Posted May 16 2018 - 22:14

Major

• Players
  • 61985 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP

View PostDed_man, on May 16 2018 - 15:43, said:

Leveling up is based on experience earned. Thereby, doing things to increase your experience gain will rank you up faster. Doing raw damage, especially outside of 200 meters, often isn't enough or will take a lot. I've had many 12k-14k damage done, never made it to general and really don't try.

You want to capture, do base defense, spot, fire at targets that you too are spotting within 200 meters, etc. Anything that will help get you flat bonuses to experience earned.

this, that being said more than once I have gotten to general, but not "first" so therefore not "general of the army" and then also finished the game with in some cases a couple hundred more total xp than the original general.

I don't think I've broken 11k total damage yet, I'm way too aggressive.

I have however had multiple matches where I had 15k combined.

Realign #9 Posted May 16 2018 - 22:14

Captain

• Players
  • 27851 battles
  • [RS] RS

View PostElbroth, on May 16 2018 - 15:24, said:

Ok I am so confused........

I have been top Damage in many battles 10 - 11 K dmg  done now and yet never make it to General... What really does affect the leveling.. It cant be damage done..

Please help I would like to enjoy the mode more

Game length is the biggest determiner (just because its less time to get enough done), 10-11k dmg can easily only be Major.  I find that kills are better than damage for ranking up, especially if you get them on tanks capping objectives.  But yeah short games its tough to finish out top ranks.

Ded_man #10 Posted May 16 2018 - 22:28

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 23653 battles
  • [-OGR-] -OGR-

View PostThePigSheFlies, on May 16 2018 - 16:14, said:

this, that being said more than once I have gotten to general, but not "first" so therefore not "general of the army" and then also finished the game with in some cases a couple hundred more total xp than the original general.

I don't think I've broken 11k total damage yet, I'm way too aggressive.

I have however had multiple matches where I had 15k combined.

Yeah, I'm not aggressive enough. I've grown quite content being the red-line sniper most battles. But I won't for a second pretend that doing 14k damage is a superb feat and if done with the right tank, easy breezy on defense (starts with medium, caps her off with a Skorp/Strv1). Great for credits, piss poor for exp. I've only one General badge in my service record out of all the FL matches I've played, I'm such a dirty farmer.

xrays_ #11 Posted May 16 2018 - 22:32

Major

• Players
  • 45961 battles
  • [FELOW] FELOW

I once received General status as a defender before any of the A/B/C zones were completely capped because I kept resetting, spotting, assisting, etc. You need to be aggressive on defence, lighting tanks, providing resets, and anything you can do to motivate your team to help block and/or eliminate capping tanks.

The FL ranks are mostly based on XP-based events. Do things that generate XP and you'll rank up.

x.

Anublister #12 Posted May 16 2018 - 22:49

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 62636 battles
  • [--T--] --T--

It's hard to be aggressive if you're playing solo and you're 1v3 vs super platoons. Platoons should be removed from frontline, or restricted to certain prime time hours. Middle of the day tomatoes make attacking virtually impossible against a decent platoon that can cycle out damaged members to repair. I couldn't get close.

Also I've seen unicum hunters braving the rear lines hunting for stragglers. I find this behavior reprehensible and WG should make the bombardment more severe, more frequent and disallow usage of rear healing grounds after a zone has been captured. 

This is a great game mode and as usual exploiters are doing their best to ruin the fun.

Edited by Anublister, May 16 2018 - 22:50.

ThePigSheFlies #13 Posted May 16 2018 - 23:00

Major

• Players
  • 61985 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP

View PostAnublister, on May 16 2018 - 16:49, said:

It's hard to be aggressive if you're playing solo and you're 1v3 vs super platoons. Platoons should be removed from frontline, or restricted to certain prime time hours. Middle of the day tomatoes make attacking virtually impossible against a decent platoon that can cycle out damaged members to repair. I couldn't get close.

Also I've seen unicum hunters braving the rear lines hunting for stragglers. I find this behavior reprehensible and WG should make the bombardment more severe, more frequent and disallow usage of rear healing grounds after a zone has been captured. 

This is a great game mode and as usual exploiters are doing their best to ruin the fun.

I've platooned with 1 player for 2 matches.  I also have migrated to sneaking into the back lines to farm arty, and afkers or even the completely oblivious rental players when on defense. 

when I see triple platoons in close proximity to each other, I tend to go to another flank.  

reprehensible is arty, air raids, and arty strikes used to focus when someone is so inept at the game they couldn't be bothered to do more than keymash the keyboard with their feet

Anublister #14 Posted May 16 2018 - 23:10

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 62636 battles
  • [--T--] --T--

View PostThePigSheFlies, on May 16 2018 - 22:00, said:

I've platooned with 1 player for 2 matches.  I also have migrated to sneaking into the back lines to farm arty, and afkers or even the completely oblivious rental players when on defense. 

when I see triple platoons in close proximity to each other, I tend to go to another flank.  

reprehensible is arty, air raids, and arty strikes used to focus when someone is so inept at the game they couldn't be bothered to do more than keymash the keyboard with their feet

We agree to disagree. I also try to avoid 3 man platoons, but where does that lead? And try going from C to B without a LONG commute. I'll play a wait and see since this game mode is new. I just noticed it getting a LOT harder to advance now the key positions have been memorized. It might just play out that some games are unwinnable, or not worth playing through. That was not what I was hoping for when this came out. Since the best rewards are achieved the longer the game lasts, perhaps the supers will hold back. I wonder though, the urge to pile on is so irresistible to so many online players. 

Edited by Anublister, May 16 2018 - 23:11.

_Gungrave_ #15 Posted May 16 2018 - 23:47

Major

• Players
  • 40520 battles
  • [JGRN] JGRN

You can do it with damage but you'd need an unrealistic amount of around 12k to 13.5k damage. What carries more weight in terms of rank XP is assisted damage and resetting or capping the cap points along with damaging the turrets.

Bongfish was smart in that regard to deter those who do nothing but damage farm.

Edited by _Gungrave_, May 16 2018 - 23:48.

Captain_Rownd #16 Posted May 17 2018 - 01:34

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 2159 battles
I only have 1 heavy in my rotation, so I don't go into the caps much, and only if there's a group push forming.  Going it alone just gets you wrecked and carpet bombed fast, and all for naught since the cap resets when you die anyway.  That's probably why I rarely make it to Captain level.  I have to see the right opportunity at respawn to choose the heavy and get the lumbering beast to the cap at the right time. 

MetGreDKo #17 Posted May 17 2018 - 02:19

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 20369 battles
  • [R-7] R-7

You don't need a heavy to go into the caps. I do it all of the time with my medium tanks, including paper tanks like the 40t and progetto premium. It's simply situation dependent. Take the flanks and knock out tanks then get a push in there so you can cross fire anyone that tries to reset thus erasing the threat before real damage is dealt.

Hurk #18 Posted May 17 2018 - 02:36

Major

• Players
  • 49727 battles
  • [KGR] KGR

i've gotten general playing only arty. its not damage based at all, its action based. 

ive also high ranked several times while being only middle or low damage. again, actions taken, not damage done. 

damage farming is the wrong way to play this mode. 

MetGreDKo #19 Posted May 17 2018 - 02:44

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 20369 battles
  • [R-7] R-7

Damage farming is where most of it will come from and proper play in general anyway as you want to lock them out of their tanks causing them to wait and otherwise just want to clear the zone of their vehicles whether to make capping easier or impossible. It gives your team a numbers advantage. That said, kills, resets, caps and assist all contribute and are still necessary for that extra kick.

I also believe there's an extra bonus somewhere in there for defenders whether it's contributing to an objective kill, being in the region of it or your team getting it. Along with a zone being defended when you're in it. I haven't paid much attention to the particulars to say for sure on how much and when.

Captain_Rownd #20 Posted May 17 2018 - 04:27

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 2159 battles

View PostMetGreDKo, on May 17 2018 - 02:19, said:

You don't need a heavy to go into the caps. I do it all of the time with my medium tanks, including paper tanks like the 40t and progetto premium. It's simply situation dependent.

Sure, situational.  But usually the situation will be wrong.  ;)  Usually (always?) when I have tried capping with a medium in Frontline I got killed in short order, which is not helpful.  But sometimes it is necessary to try it due to the timer.  Last time I tried helping cap in my Type 59 a GW Panther/Tiger nuked me from orbit with 0:00(!) left on the capping clock and 0:02 left on the game clock, and the next thing I saw was the "Defeat" screen.  The other time I remember trying it a Lorraine did a suicide run to death clip my T-44 in the cap.  Still, desperate times called for desperate measures. 

Edited by Captain_Rownd, May 17 2018 - 04:33.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users