• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

Blackgunner #21 Posted May 17 2018 - 02:15

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 13630 battles
  • [JMO-H] JMO-H

View PostNunya_000, on May 16 2018 - 20:13, said:

If people choose to buy skins to the point that it sends a message to the developers that says "Hey, we like this, do more", than wouldn't that mean that they are popular and are attractive to a majority of customers?  Sounds like you just might be afraid that you might be in the minority.

The problem with it is that it is such a money sink that it gives developers a cop out to put out subpar content and stagnate development.  It's fine if they can manage to both continue to develop and do skins, but most games with skins haven't been able to keep up with that.  Their development is stagnated to near irrelevance.

Zuikakoo #22 Posted May 17 2018 - 02:15

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 17601 battles
after the stupidity that was the T34B the IS-6B and the Schwartzpanzer I read from the developers and they promised PROMISED they learned their lesson and yet here we are, ok WG what the heck lesson did you learn?

Skyrimosity #23 Posted May 17 2018 - 02:16

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 17201 battles

View PostBlackgunner, on May 16 2018 - 17:46, said:

Dear Gentleusers of the Forum,

I'm here today to implore you, don't buy this new KV-2R or the BDR G1 B Skin!  Skins and the like have been the downfall of so many games.  It's just a terrible path for an MMO to take.

Soon they'll be pulling team members from development of new tanks, new tech trees, new maps; all to throw into this money sink of skins.

"Oh, we don't have to work on generating quality content anymore; we just need an intern with minimal art skills to make a skin and we'll sell it for $10!"

Jesus Christ please no.  Don't encourage Wargaming to go down this terrible path.  Refuse to buy into this skin thing.  We don't need a shop full of 50,000 skins for tanks and no maps to play them on.

Deny them this.

"Here is this thing that is an option for you to buy. I am asking you not to spend your money on it, because slippery slope is a fallacy that is a slippery slope and we don't wanna be on that." Clearly, the people who work on tank skins also design new maps. More customization is obviously bad for the game, somehow, because some reason. Allowing users to enjoy content they want to buy is immoral and quite frankly should not be allowed. 

Blackgunner #24 Posted May 17 2018 - 02:20

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 13630 battles
  • [JMO-H] JMO-H

View PostSkyrimosity, on May 16 2018 - 20:16, said:

"Here is this thing that is an option for you to buy. I am asking you not to spend your money on it, because slippery slope is a fallacy that is a slippery slope and we don't wanna be on that." Clearly, the people who work on tank skins also design new maps. More customization is obviously bad for the game, somehow, because some reason. Allowing users to enjoy content they want to buy is immoral and quite frankly should not be allowed. 

​It'd be nice if a game could do both; but in the history of gaming that has not been the case.

Chronus1327 #25 Posted May 17 2018 - 02:22

Sergeant

• Players
  • 2127 battles
  • [PNTRS] PNTRS
i don't give a hoot about the Skin Tank.  I'm buying a premium KV2, the slot, and ahh, a Zero-Skill crew that i'll put in my favorite soviet tank.

tonkmato #26 Posted May 17 2018 - 02:27

Captain

• Players
  • 14124 battles

View PostBlackgunner, on May 16 2018 - 18:12, said:

​Begone, satan.  Relic will be the downfall of all of WOT.  My forefathers the IOC said it!  :)

remember the good old days when IOC was relevant? Neither do I 

Krovven #27 Posted May 17 2018 - 02:27

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 16633 battles

Cosmetic microtransactions are a method of monetization that is completely harmless to gameplay and the entire population of a game. Cosmetics have never ruined other games and I'd like to hear what games you think that have been.

Game companies are in the business to make money. If you have a problem with that, then you should go find another hobby.

To add to this...they have an option for you to choose whether you see these new skins. Use it if you dont like it.  Furthermore they already made it far cheaper to use existing camo in game as it can be removed and applied to other tanks. PLUS you only need 1 piece of camo to get the camo benefit in game, this lowering the previous cost of you choose this route. There is even a mod to make this easy.

Krovven #28 Posted May 17 2018 - 02:29

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 16633 battles

View PostP0NYTANK, on May 16 2018 - 15:58, said:

I just want 2 things from WG:

1.- Let us choose to play w / o Arties

You have that choice...its called Blitz.  Buh bye you won't be missed.  

Krovven #29 Posted May 17 2018 - 02:44

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 16633 battles

View PostBlackgunner, on May 16 2018 - 17:15, said:

The problem with it is that it is such a money sink that it gives developers a cop out to put out subpar content and stagnate development.  It's fine if they can manage to both continue to develop and do skins, but most games with skins haven't been able to keep up with that.  Their development is stagnated to near irrelevance.

Name one...

You don't seem to have a clue how game development works.  Modelers, Programmers, Producers, Game Designers, Sound Engineers, etc etc etc, are not making skins. 2D and 3D Artists are designing and making skins including the 3D items that have been being added to the HD models.  

Zuikakoo #30 Posted May 17 2018 - 02:46

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 17601 battles

View PostKrovven, on May 17 2018 - 02:29, said:

You have that choice...its called Blitz.  Buh bye you won't be missed.  

Go talk to the CV players in WoWS and ask them about their future.    If they actually do it, if the CV's actually go, then there's no reason at all for SPG's to survive.

KanataKonoe #31 Posted May 17 2018 - 02:47

Major

• -Players-
  • 18893 battles
  • [-L-L-] -L-L-
The skins should not be payed for... But maybe earned in events..... The last thing I need is people having cuter tanks then me..... :( 

_Platform #32 Posted May 17 2018 - 02:50

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 10656 battles
  • [RELIC] RELIC

View PostBlackgunner, on May 16 2018 - 21:20, said:

​It'd be nice if a game could do both; but in the history of gaming that has not been the case.

You still have yet to provide one example where the implementation of cosmetic customization has been the downfall of a game.

Zuikakoo #33 Posted May 17 2018 - 03:01

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 17601 battles

View Post_Platform, on May 17 2018 - 02:50, said:

You still have yet to provide one example where the implementation of cosmetic customization has been the downfall of a game.

I am going to have to agree with you, while this is a blatant moneygrab, its not exactly a problem, this is what we asked for, a solution to the endless stream of OP premium tanks, this is one up from WG opening a Patreon or a Gofundme.   Its just a KV2 that somebody paid a lot of money for.   It's not going to ruin the game anymore than the Fury or the Sherman Loza did, and if the stupid look of the crappy kitbash fantasy tank makes you upset, you just go into settings and turn on Historical Only camo.   Go into the settings and turn it off, you'll never even notice them.   To top it all off its totally skippable too, if you like the look of the fantasy tanks, there's plenty of Mod skins out there to fill your battlefield with crazy looking tanks.

FrozenKemp #34 Posted May 17 2018 - 03:08

Major

• Players
  • 48089 battles

View PostKrovven, on May 16 2018 - 20:44, said:

Name one...

You don't seem to have a clue how game development works.  Modelers, Programmers, Producers, Game Designers, Sound Engineers, etc etc etc, are not making skins. 2D and 3D Artists are designing and making skins including the 3D items that have been being added to the HD models.  

Even within 3D artists you have subdivisions of labour.  You would be stupid to take your level artists and make them create tank skins because that is not what they are good at.

diego999 #35 Posted May 17 2018 - 03:44

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 32002 battles
  • [C-T-L] C-T-L

We're still waiting for the list of games doomed by skin sales.

Krovven #36 Posted May 17 2018 - 03:51

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 16633 battles

View PostFrozenKemp, on May 16 2018 - 18:08, said:

Even within 3D artists you have subdivisions of labour.  You would be stupid to take your level artists and make them create tank skins because that is not what they are good at.

In a mature development cycle such as WoT, 2D/3D artists aren't going to have a lot of work outside of new textures and models for maps and new camo's, although a different story since they just upgraded the graphics and redoing maps.  So they may have more to do to keep them busy, or additional staff added.  I just checked Wargaming Careers page and they have over 200 job openings advertised around the world, 23 of which are in the Art category. A 2D Artist and a 3D Artist are also specific jobs listed for World of Tanks in Belarus.  

We also know from interviews in the last 4-6 months that they are putting more emphasis on improving the HD models in-game and more specifically the end-user customization of the HD models.  To paraphrase 'allowing players to customize their tanks with logs, nets, helmet, etc.'  And we also know that they said with the addition of the Unique Camo selection section that they intended to start bringing us more unique camo's for customization.

Edited by Krovven, May 17 2018 - 04:25.

ArmorStorm #37 Posted May 17 2018 - 04:23

Major

• Players
  • 35395 battles
  • [F__R] F__R

View PostBlackgunner, on May 16 2018 - 19:08, said:

​You don't understand how economics work.  If people buy these skins, it's saying to the developers "Hey we like this do this more".  Which encourages them to further make more skins.  Which more people buy.  Which makes them make more. Then people will buy more. Then they can't make them fast enough so they take team members from developing tanks or tech trees or clan wars to keep up with demand; which then puts everything else behind; but they're still making money.  It's not about what I can or can not afford (which I can afford to buy everything in the shop and then some, I'm a CNC Machinist after all.); it's about choosing not to buy something that will be detrimental to the state of the game in the long run.

I disagree.  I would MUCH rather have skins or skinned tanks available for people to purchase than the continual introduction of OP premium tanks which power creep the older models.  Defender > IS-6> KV-5 BUT KV-2 Valhalla (or whatnot) = KV-2 from the tech tree in a match.  The BIA crew and the training/income bonuses are welcome and will be worth the money to some, probably me after I see a few rolling around in battles.

sometims_naive #38 Posted May 17 2018 - 04:50

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 35395 battles
  • [UGKB] UGKB

View PostKrovven, on May 17 2018 - 03:51, said:

In a mature development cycle such as WoT, 2D/3D artists aren't going to have a lot of work outside of new textures and models for maps and new camo's, although a different story since they just upgraded the graphics and redoing maps.  So they may have more to do to keep them busy, or additional staff added.  I just checked Wargaming Careers page and they have over 200 job openings advertised around the world, 23 of which are in the Art category. A 2D Artist and a 3D Artist are also specific jobs listed for World of Tanks in Belarus.  

We also know from interviews in the last 4-6 months that they are putting more emphasis on improving the HD models in-game and more specifically the end-user customization of the HD models.  To paraphrase 'allowing players to customize their tanks with logs, nets, helmet, etc.'  And we also know that they said with the addition of the Unique Camo selection section that they intended to start bringing us more unique camo's for customization.

With current bobject tide, bottom tier mm and corridor maps (shame that the last one doesn't rhyme) a few additional sandbags and spare track links would matter little as long as they don't count as armor...

The only thing I would look forward to is that like the KV-2 ®, previous prems like Strv 81, Pz 58, Skorp G can have their clown skin shed as styles and get normal camo.

Krovven #39 Posted May 17 2018 - 05:04

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 16633 battles

View Postsometims_naive, on May 16 2018 - 19:50, said:

With current bobject tide, bottom tier mm and corridor maps (shame that the last one doesn't rhyme) a few additional sandbags and spare track links would matter little as long as they don't count as armor...

The only thing I would look forward to is that like the KV-2 ®, previous prems like Strv 81, Pz 58, Skorp G can have their clown skin shed as styles and get normal camo.

Since you are quoting me...I'm not sure what your point is as your complaints have nothing to do with the topic. Or maybe you are trying to make some snyde comment about them hiring artists, despite that I said they had over 200 job openings.  Maybe you should go look at what they are.   Whether you like skins/camo or not, they are part of the game.  Just because you don't like unique skins/camo doesn't mean everyone doesn't.  If you don't like the direction of the game...there is the door  ---->>. 

Ded_man #40 Posted May 17 2018 - 05:14

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 24868 battles
  • [-OGR-] -OGR-
How long has Team Fortress been around?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users