• [MOVE] MOVE

View Post_Platform, on May 17 2018 - 09:36, said:

I'm buying twelve.

I can't afford 12 only 10 ..... :P

Krovven #62 Posted May 18 2018 - 02:56

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 16847 battles
Did I miss that list of games that had their downfall from selling skins? Cus I dont see anything anywhere. I figured it was going to be a really long list that I couldn't miss it...

Lolz :D

JA_Pinkerton #63 Posted May 18 2018 - 03:08

Major

• Players
  • 33251 battles

View PostBlackgunner, on May 16 2018 - 18:46, said:

"Oh, we don't have to work on generating quality content anymore; we just need an intern with minimal art skills to make a skin and we'll sell it for $10!"

This seems to me a much more desirable outcome then the current intern with minimal design skill working on maps and tank balance.

Blackgunner #64 Posted May 18 2018 - 04:59

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 13882 battles
  • [JMO-H] JMO-H

View PostKrovven, on May 17 2018 - 20:56, said:

Did I miss that list of games that had their downfall from selling skins? Cus I dont see anything anywhere. I figured it was going to be a really long list that I couldn't miss it...

Lolz :D

​Downfall was more for dramatic effect. The real phrase we're looking at is developmental stagnation.  When overall development or progress of the game is stalled out with no real content updates.  This doesn't mean the game is unsuccessful, just that it is no longer progressing.

People have mentioned League of Legends, Dota, Battlefield.  All of these are good examples of games that have a successful niche, but are in developmental stagnation.  When new, quality content is dropped in favor of cosmetics.  Many people will tell you each new Battlefield is really more of just a reskinned one.  A different time period, a different reality.  But under it all, it's still the same car.  Granted, we're talking about a singular series of games here.  Instances like tactical shooters, games like Siege which broke into a whole new thing, and is continuously adding new content even with (very minor) but still present customization options.

A game can be successful and still be stagnant.  Unfortunately, it's more of an exception than a rule.

Edited by Blackgunner, May 18 2018 - 05:01.

_C00KIE #65 Posted May 18 2018 - 08:52

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 25547 battles

... and let the backpedaling begin.

Well done OP.

ZYKLOP_ #66 Posted May 18 2018 - 11:27

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 26888 battles
  • [3_NZ] 3_NZ

Too late.

But is there a reason why the BDR was only a skin but you have to buy the whole KV-2?

FrozenKemp #67 Posted May 18 2018 - 11:29

Major

• Players
  • 53451 battles
  • [8ARMY] 8ARMY
If the new Centurion just been a skin I might have bought that instead of an additional premium tank.  I don't really need credits right now and a skin would have been cheaper. 

Edited by FrozenKemp, May 18 2018 - 11:29.

Gtraxeman #68 Posted May 18 2018 - 16:51

Captain

• Players
  • 34803 battles
  • [DHO6] DHO6

View PostAknazer, on May 17 2018 - 10:18, said:

I don't care if they add skins or not.  For me the draw would be to get a premium tech-tree tank.  I'm not interested in these but a premium T71DA would be pretty sweet for example.  Or think of some other T2-8 tank that you enjoy.  Now you get to play the tank that you enjoy while also making credits and training your end-tier crews.  For me THAT is the real draw of such a thing, playing a "tech tree" tank that I enjoy without needing to have a dedicated crew for it and also getting to make credits.

This reskinned tech tree premiums and skins may be the future, I have a feeling that the pool of tanks, real and blueprints, are growing smaller. Ones that would fit the timeframe of WoT.

Doesnt bother me any, I like this game and would like to see it make money for a long time.

Krovven #69 Posted May 18 2018 - 18:25

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 16847 battles

View PostBlackgunner, on May 17 2018 - 19:59, said:

​Downfall was more for dramatic effect. The real phrase we're looking at is developmental stagnation.  When overall development or progress of the game is stalled out with no real content updates.  This doesn't mean the game is unsuccessful, just that it is no longer progressing.

People have mentioned League of Legends, Dota, Battlefield.  All of these are good examples of games that have a successful niche, but are in developmental stagnation.  When new, quality content is dropped in favor of cosmetics.  Many people will tell you each new Battlefield is really more of just a reskinned one.  A different time period, a different reality.  But under it all, it's still the same car.  Granted, we're talking about a singular series of games here.  Instances like tactical shooters, games like Siege which broke into a whole new thing, and is continuously adding new content even with (very minor) but still present customization options.

A game can be successful and still be stagnant.  Unfortunately, it's more of an exception than a rule.

So LoL, DOTA 2 and Battlefield are in developmental stagnation?  Uhh ya ok, you are clueless.  I won't talk about LOL much, since I have never played it and never will and don't know their business model.  But I do know it's the #1 most played game in the world and is the biggest revenue generating game in the world.   DOTA 2 I also don't play, but I see the news...it get's a major update every 2 months, recently switched from twice a year...but more increased updates equals stagnant according to you.  Battlefield 1 and SW battlefield are both still getting content releases and new Battlefield games are being developed right now. Also not a F2P game and uses a more standard pay to play + DLC packs business model. So ya, again, not stagnant.  

I'll give you another example...Path of Exile, their entire F2P business model is built on selling skins and cosmetics and they are very successful.  They release new game content and new seasons every few months; in fact just a few months ago they doubled the size of the campaign.

When you straight up lie to justify and make your case on something, it completely undermines your position.  

To put it simply, you don't have a clue. 

WangOnTheLoose #70 Posted May 18 2018 - 18:36

Major

• -Players-
  • 28902 battles
  • [PUBBY] PUBBY

View PostBlackgunner, on May 17 2018 - 22:59, said:

So what you are really saying is that you made up a bunch of junk in your OP and when asked to back it up you couldn't......... ok cool!  You should really catch up with the new video game economy, skins are a very successful form of micro-transaction.  Not even sure why you have a problem with them, they have literally zero effect on game play so if you don't like them you don't have to buy them and you don't suffer any in game repercussion for it.  Sounds great to me.

Edited by WangOnTheLoose, May 18 2018 - 18:38.

Kerosedge #71 Posted May 18 2018 - 19:04

Captain

• Players
  • 21406 battles
  • [CRIMZ] CRIMZ
Have to have a prem KV2. It's the king of derp and now a king you can place your hyper skilled TX crews in. It's beyond glorious.

Blackstone #72 Posted May 18 2018 - 19:38

Major

• -Players-
  • 21659 battles
I implore you, don't pay attention to the OP. :trollface:

Edited by Blackstone, May 18 2018 - 19:39.

Rides_with_Death #73 Posted May 18 2018 - 19:43

Major

• Players
  • 35324 battles
  • [F0CUS] F0CUS
wouldnt skins people can buy, that you can turn off how they display if you dont like how they look, be better then adding in more prem tanks?

FunPolice_ #74 Posted May 18 2018 - 19:49

Major

• Players
  • 30662 battles
  • [RDDT] RDDT

Adding cosmetics is vastly better for the game than constantly adding OP/power crept tanks to make their buck.  I can check a box and instantly ignore non-historical stuff so I can negate any impact it has on me.  I cannot tick a box and remove defenders or 268v4s from the game....

We already rarely get maps so I doubt cosmetics will take away from map design, and they only look at game mechanics every other leap year anyways....

So I'd suggest the opposite.  I support cosmetics in games as they are far and away the least influential in changing the way a game plays.

JellyFishBob_ #75 Posted May 18 2018 - 23:24

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 5014 battles
  • [MOVE] MOVE
I would buy the new KV2-W IF and only IF I didn't have to uncheck the paint thingy for SOME people to see the cool skin .......  that is all ... carry on   :great:

BoredSightsNA #76 Posted May 19 2018 - 01:15

Captain

• Players
  • 26482 battles
That other tank game like this one but with modern tanks has MANY tech tree tanks turned premium with reskins (aka Reskiniums). I see that this game has been using this same practice but not on the same scale as that other tank game. Some tech tree tanks in the other game have 3 different reskins for the same tech tree tank. This among other reasons is why that other games population on their NA server is dead in PVP and almost dead in PVE. No need to grind up the other games tech tree if you have the money. That makes it almost impossible for new free players to get into games because most players are queuing up in higher tier games with their reskiniums.

Red_Ensign #77 Posted May 19 2018 - 01:19

Major

• Players
  • 7328 battles
skins are the least harmful thing they've sold in a while.

OLDIRTYBOMBER #78 Posted May 19 2018 - 14:51

Captain

• -Players-
  • 11773 battles
  • [DONKY] DONKY

Would be better if they just moved to pay for cosmetics and removed pay for tank performance aka pay to win.

_Gungrave_ #79 Posted May 19 2018 - 15:13

Major

• Players
  • 45503 battles
  • [-SRP-] -SRP-

Its no real big deal because eventually someone is going to buy the skin, rip it, create a mod for it. This way you don't have to pay for any skins they release and you can use them. Others won't see it but not like that matters because most don't care while many keep non historical stuff turned off anyway.

Only real way WG can make a real profit with skins is if they put a lockdown on skin mods to prevent people from ripping any using their skinned tanks for free.

Edited by _Gungrave_, May 19 2018 - 15:14.

iway #80 Posted May 19 2018 - 21:26

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 11115 battles
  • [SKY_C] SKY_C
funny i think the skins idea is much better then most of the prems they come out with. sell a new skin for 10-15 for an old prem i got. sure i give wg 10 bucks if the skin is nice. wg likes a skin a modder has, wg gives the modder X% and they sell the skin. everyone wins. we don't get crappy prems, and only ppl who want the skins buy them. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users