Is there a plan/timeline for re-doing all the old missing maps?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Arctander2 #1 Posted May 17 2018 - 15:16

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 20034 battles
I love the new HD maps, but I'm definitely missing the handful of ones that they didn't do in HD. I searched around the forum for any official word, but didn't see anything... anyone know if they're working on them and if so, when they expect we might see them?

FrozenKemp #2 Posted May 17 2018 - 15:36

Major

• Players
  • 48074 battles
There was a list shared which listed some old maps they were working on, but I would not expect WG to release a planned schedule because they know it leads to people complaining anytime a problem occurs and something is late. 

Ape_Drape #3 Posted May 17 2018 - 16:04

Captain

• Players
  • 40299 battles
  • [SOT] SOT
They already said there were no plans to do the fun maps (Dragon Ridge, Pearl River, Northwest, South Coast) in HD.

dnaman #4 Posted May 17 2018 - 16:19

Captain

• Players
  • 30202 battles
  • [DBLTG] DBLTG
They need to reconsider bringing back those maps 

Ape_Drape #5 Posted May 17 2018 - 17:03

Captain

• Players
  • 40299 battles
  • [SOT] SOT

View Postdnaman, on May 17 2018 - 16:19, said:

They need to reconsider bringing back those maps 

They never admit when they are wrong which is the first step in reconsidering something.

BlinkingDuck #6 Posted May 17 2018 - 17:05

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 382 battles

View PostFrozenKemp, on May 17 2018 - 15:36, said:

There was a list shared which listed some old maps they were working on, but I would not expect WG to release a planned schedule because they know it leads to people complaining when a problem/lack of priority occurs and something is late as always. 

Fixed your post for you.

They have one unpaid part-time intern doing the maps and she only works during summers.  She works on the maps after her other duties are done which includes painting the office, cleaning it etc.  If she has time left in her 2 hour day, she will gab with others for a bit then work on the maps.

Edited by BlinkingDuck, May 17 2018 - 17:08.

Hurk #7 Posted May 17 2018 - 18:22

Major

• Players
  • 51687 battles
  • [KGR] KGR

View PostBlinkingDuck, on May 17 2018 - 09:05, said:

Fixed your post for you.

They have one unpaid part-time intern doing the maps and she only works during summers.  She works on the maps after her other duties are done which includes painting the office, cleaning it etc.  If she has time left in her 2 hour day, she will gab with others for a bit then work on the maps.

if you have no idea what it takes to do a job, the best thing to do is not comment. I've built maps for games before... not even 3d maps either. it takes weeks. and that was NOT generating any of my own assets, but only using those included in the toolkit i was using (again I had a toolkit to use, did not have to create my own) and that was a vastly simplified system where pathing, etc, were all pre-created scripts that you just set points and it calculates for you, etc.

actually generating a map from scratch, and then over time balancing that map, etc, is the work of months for several people. 

BlinkingDuck #8 Posted May 17 2018 - 18:27

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 382 battles

View PostHurk, on May 17 2018 - 18:22, said:

if you have no idea what it takes to do a job, the best thing to do is not comment. I've built maps for games before... not even 3d maps either. it takes weeks. and that was NOT generating any of my own assets, but only using those included in the toolkit i was using (again I had a toolkit to use, did not have to create my own) and that was a vastly simplified system where pathing, etc, were all pre-created scripts that you just set points and it calculates for you, etc.

actually generating a map from scratch, and then over time balancing that map, etc, is the work of months for several people. 

Even if it took 6 months per map and not weeks and only 1 team working on it there should be many more maps then there have been.  A game like this bringing in its $$$ there should be MULTIPLE teams.

I am not sure, but I am reasonably certain there are LESS maps then when I started.  If you think that is acceptable because I don't understand the job, then we have no common ground to discuss.

Edited by BlinkingDuck, May 17 2018 - 18:31.

commander42 #9 Posted May 17 2018 - 19:13

Major

• Players
  • 24282 battles
  • [T-R-P] T-R-P

View PostBlinkingDuck, on May 17 2018 - 12:27, said:

Even if it took 6 months per map and not weeks and only 1 team working on it there should be many more maps then there have been.  A game like this bringing in its $$$ there should be MULTIPLE teams.

I am not sure, but I am reasonably certain there are LESS maps then when I started.  If you think that is acceptable because I don't understand the job, then we have no common ground to discuss.

I think we(me and a few others in another thread awhile back) figured out that the list of REMOVED maps was as big or bigger than the list of current maps.  Which is utterly ridiculous that it would even be close to the same size.  Especially because most of those maps they had 0 good reason to remove

Silversound #10 Posted May 17 2018 - 19:23

Major

• Players
  • 38784 battles
  • [-P-] -P-

If a map was designed for the old square view range, it's not coming back.

Get over it.

commander42 #11 Posted May 17 2018 - 19:32

Major

• Players
  • 24282 battles
  • [T-R-P] T-R-P

View PostSilversound, on May 17 2018 - 13:23, said:

Get over it.

that makes 0 difference for 90% of the removed maps. Get over it.

Mokoma #12 Posted May 17 2018 - 20:11

Major

• -Players-
  • 13858 battles

View PostSilversound, on May 17 2018 - 13:23, said:

Get over it.

That doesn’t even begin to make sense. There have been other changes to game mechanics that make it difficult to rebalance the older removed maps sufficiently to reintroduce them, but that’s not one of them.

Krovven #13 Posted May 17 2018 - 20:26

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 16633 battles

View PostSilversound, on May 17 2018 - 10:23, said:

Get over it.

Haha I forgot that was ever even a thing. 

And that really has nothing to do with the map designs.

Silversound #14 Posted May 17 2018 - 20:42

Major

• Players
  • 38784 battles
  • [-P-] -P-

Clearly Hurk was correct, you guys are clueless.

I'm tempted to try and explain view range and how balance works, but I'm pretty sure it would be a waste of our time.

Edit: I can't help it. I feel a need to elaborate.

Think about what I said above while you look at this map.

Think about view range and balance.

No really... THINK about it.

This map would have to be completely rebuilt to compensate.

Every map that was removed had different reasons for removal.

But any map designed and balanced on a diagonal was completely wrecked by the circle view range change.

It's not a hard concept to grasp.... unless you don't know how view range works in this game.

Hurk #15 Posted May 17 2018 - 20:45

Major

• Players
  • 51687 battles
  • [KGR] KGR

View PostBlinkingDuck, on May 17 2018 - 10:27, said:

watch this and learn something:

View Postcommander42, on May 17 2018 - 11:13, said:

I think we(me and a few others in another thread awhile back) figured out that the list of REMOVED maps was as big or bigger than the list of current maps.  Which is utterly ridiculous that it would even be close to the same size.  Especially because most of those maps they had 0 good reason to remove

watch the video above. then also realise no maps at all were removed for 1.0, there were simply maps that were not remade. 

the maps removed in the past, before 1.0, were removed because they were not good maps, they were not balanced. 

Ape_Drape #16 Posted May 17 2018 - 21:00

Captain

• Players
  • 40299 battles
  • [SOT] SOT

View PostSilversound, on May 17 2018 - 19:23, said:

Get over it.

Explain the continued presence of Himmelsuck, Ensk, Mines, Malinovka, Abbey, Prokhorovka, Ruinberg....

Edited by Ape_Drape, May 17 2018 - 21:00.

_Gungrave_ #17 Posted May 17 2018 - 21:03

Major

• Players
  • 42205 battles
  • [X-OUT] X-OUT

There is no set schedule because you have so many maps which get leaked on armored patrol, daily bounce, wot-news, and status report. Those maps don't always make it into the game but the ones which we are likely to see is...

Port - A new map with no relation to the old Port map they removed years ago.

Swamp- its being redone though I don't understand why it was removed in 1.0

"Mirrormap" - This is some strange looking map in that its literally one where the each half of the map is the exact same as the other. While this map would offer some balanced gameplay map wise I feel that like always the MM will still favor one team with the tanks that are most suitable for that map. Overall this mirror map seems like a WG pipe dream when you consider MM's hard on for giving one team all the big guns.

Karkhov - God I wish they would just toss this map in a dumpster but because its based on a Russian city they gotta rework this and put it back into the game...effing idiots.

Thats all the leaked maps I can think of right now

Silversound #18 Posted May 17 2018 - 21:06

Major

• Players
  • 38784 battles
  • [-P-] -P-

View PostApe_Drape, on May 17 2018 - 12:00, said:

Explain the continued presence of

Himmelsuck - Not on a diagonal.

Ensk - Not on a diagonal.

Mines

Malinovka

Abbey - Not on a diagonal.

Prokhorovka - Not on a diagonal. 

Ruinberg - Not on a diagonal.

Reading is hard; I never said they were all removed for the same reason.

Nor did I say that there was only one reason per map for them to be removed.

So... look at your examples.... Then let it sink in that you are wrong.

Next we can discuss physics, and how that change made some maps unworkable.

...these forums are so very frustrating at times.

Hurk #19 Posted May 17 2018 - 22:29

Major

• Players
  • 51687 battles
  • [KGR] KGR

View PostApe_Drape, on May 17 2018 - 13:00, said:

Explain the continued presence of Himmelsuck, Ensk, Mines, Malinovka, Abbey, Prokhorovka, Ruinberg....

stop moving your goal posts. either complain about maps removed or get out of the thread. this is not a thread about maps that stayed. 

commander42 #20 Posted May 17 2018 - 23:47

Major

• Players
  • 24282 battles
  • [T-R-P] T-R-P

View PostHurk, on May 17 2018 - 14:45, said:

watch this and learn something:

watch the video above. then also realise no maps at all were removed for 1.0, there were simply maps that were not remade.

the maps removed in the past, before 1.0, were removed because they were not good maps, they were not balanced.

not being remade=removed
anything that WAS in the game and is not in the game currently is removed no matter what terminology you want to use for it.  They had plenty of time to update the maps to HD that they wanted to keep in the game, they should have either finished faster or pushed back 1.0.

As for the rest of the maps,  them not being good maps is your opinion, many people do not care if one side wins 1% more. Randoms is not competitive play, maps shouldn't have to be entirely balanced.  As long as it isn't really extreme no map should ever be removed for balance reasons, period.(thousands of others share this opinion although apparently you and WG disagree)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users