Can someone break down spotting for me

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Kozer #1 Posted May 17 2018 - 18:03

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 410 battles

So I played this game years and years and years ago and just kinda came back to it. 

I am doing so so, but one aspect is driving me insane. And that is when I am in cover, and take 1 shot at a guy and suddenly take shots from like 3 other people who I cannot see in return. 

I get it, shooting reveals me, but why is it I oh so often take that shot against someone and within 3 secs am taking more return fire from people behind cover, that I cannot see at all. Even when I am looking where the shells are coming from? 

Its more than just a little frustrating. 

Example: Frontlines I am a defender by E I believe. I am coming from our spawn and am rolling up a hill that lets me look out over across at where the enemy comes from. There are no bushes here but I am expecting to at least be able to get a shot off. 

As soon as I come around that corner to where I can see the enemy I am hit and tracked from a guy I cannot see in the direction I am now facing. This is probably the recon plane, but why can I not see him in return? 

Another example, I am behind some bushes overlooking a cap point. There is an enemy somewhere opposite of me, but I can no longer see him, but he doesn't know I am there. I shoot an enemy that comes out near where that other enemy is. Suddenly that one enemy shoots and yet again tracks me, but I cannot see him in return. There are allies closer to him than enemies closer to me. 

Like, I get it, that I am bad at this game. I only just came back afterall. But I like to think I understand how cover works, since I did read that wiki page. Are these just cases of far better crews than I have? And if so good lord. 

Edited by Kozer, May 17 2018 - 18:04.

tonkmato #2 Posted May 17 2018 - 18:06

Captain

• Players
  • 14124 battles
  • [REL-A] REL-A

MacDaddyMatty #3 Posted May 17 2018 - 18:06

Major

• -Players-
  • 24812 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

Yes

and

https://www.clandday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=65

Watch those and let us know if you still have Q's.

NomaeTheJester #4 Posted May 17 2018 - 18:23

Captain

• Players
  • 13908 battles

If you can't be bothered to watch the undoubtably helpful videos above:

1. You will never spot someone past 445 meters. If you can see someone further away than that, an ally is spotting for you. Thus you will never spot someone firing at you from great range, no matter how good your crew or equipment is.
  2. Any bush between you and the enemy that you can see through will not hide you at all once you fire. Think of firing as destroying any nearby bushes for a few seconds. If you pull back far enough for the bush to go opaque, you can fire with only the base camo reduction, the bush will still hide you. The enemies may be doing this.
  3. It is your view range vs their camo. If they are outside your viewrange you will never see them. Doesn't matter if they are driving full speed off a cliff firing their gun and covered in disco balls and strobe lights, you will not see them. For the Defender this is a measly 350 meters. If they are within your view range, you still might not see them. Some tanks still have decent camo even while firing, an UDES has ~20% camo with a camo net, while firing. That knocks your defender's 350m view range down to 280. So a UDES could fire at you from the middle of an open field at 280 meters and you would not see him.

The points above are why I am a proud member of the viewrange master-race. I believe you should try to improve your viewrange as much as possible in almost every tank.

Edited by NomaeTheJester, May 17 2018 - 18:25.

wkcw1 #5 Posted May 17 2018 - 19:09

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 14226 battles
  • [GGNKR] GGNKR

There are lots of resources on youtube. Some good ones are made by 4tankersanddog and even Claus Kellerman has some vids on spotting mechanics.

do you have a fully trained crew on your defender? Have you fitted binocs or optics?

Awestryker #6 Posted May 17 2018 - 19:20

Major

• Players
  • 25184 battles

View Posttonkmato, on May 17 2018 - 12:06, said:

^^^awesome video...

Edited by Awestryker, May 17 2018 - 19:24.

PuddleSplasher #7 Posted May 17 2018 - 20:07

Major

• Players
  • 36118 battles

Drat my answer was lost.

In short you have 218 battles and a re-rolled account.

Why should anyone assist you?

OK, You are asking about what we can see and not about scouting.

If I see any single part of your tank as I move my mouse/reticle around your tank and I see the enemy colour then I shoot at it. RED is the enemy. 10m, 100m, ... I shoot nad I hope I hit your tank.

It really is that simple. Do not allow any part of your tank to be "uncamouflaged".

Edited by PuddleSplasher, May 17 2018 - 20:11.

_C00KIE #8 Posted May 17 2018 - 20:16

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 23046 battles

View PostNomaeTheJester, on May 17 2018 - 10:23, said:

If you can't be bothered to watch the undoubtably helpful videos above:

1. You will never spot someone past 445 meters. If you can see someone further away than that, an ally is spotting for you. Thus you will never spot someone firing at you from great range, no matter how good your crew or equipment is.
  2. Any bush between you and the enemy that you can see through will not hide you at all once you fire. Think of firing as destroying any nearby bushes for a few seconds. If you pull back far enough for the bush to go opaque, you can fire with only the base camo reduction, the bush will still hide you. The enemies may be doing this.
  3. It is your view range vs their camo. If they are outside your viewrange you will never see them. Doesn't matter if they are driving full speed off a cliff firing their gun and covered in disco balls and strobe lights, you will not see them. For the Defender this is a measly 350 meters. If they are within your view range, you still might not see them. Some tanks still have decent camo even while firing, an UDES has ~20% camo with a camo net, while firing. That knocks your defender's 350m view range down to 280. So a UDES could fire at you from the middle of an open field at 280 meters and you would not see him.

The points above are why I am a proud member of the viewrange master-race. I believe you should try to improve your viewrange as much as possible in almost every tank.

Those are absolutely the key points. Read them. Know them. Live them.

@OP - It is SO refreshing to see someone say "please explain this thing I don't understand, so that I too may abuse the noobs" vs "OMG SO MANY HAX!!!!!".

Keep it up, and you're on your way to true mastery.

tonkmato #9 Posted May 18 2018 - 00:13

Captain

• Players
  • 14124 battles
  • [REL-A] REL-A
Wow cookie, long time no see 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users