Made the mistake of installing XVM

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Platedmeat #1 Posted May 18 2018 - 07:01

Sergeant

• Players
  • 41294 battles

Soooo after playing 42k+ battles vanilla I finally decided to install XVM to really see what all the fuss is about it. Yes I know from the forums all the pros and cons about it, but I wanted to see for myself. First battle ok, lookie at all the pretty colors, I liked a couple of features like the tank been spotted already thing even after it goes un-spotted, and the stats you can see in the garage. Then I really started looking at players before the battle begins, and for the most part teams were even color wise. Yes now and then you got a OMG WTH line up, but not as often as people think. Then I started looking even closer at players, and ya know what.…….

Well let me start this section by saying YES I KNOW I am just an average player and I am fine with that. I have tanks I do really good in and tanks I'm too stubborn to give up playing because I am determined to get better in them.....and yea tanks listed for me that I sold a long, long, time ago that were ok to crappy......lol kinda like now. Over time I have always tried to improve, learn, not make stupid mistakes, and contribute to the team as much as possible...….

Tell ya what, after really looking close at some peoples stats, I started to become one of "those" people....you know, the ones calling people out over xvm stats. I can honestly see why now it happens and it is understandable to me. When you look and see people with 10, 15, 20k+ games played and see what they do in battles and it is very obvious they are making no effort/showing signs of improving over what the stats say it can be frustrating as hell.

YES I KNOW IT'S A GAME...….yes I know the idea is to have fun.....yes I know some people do not care about stats too much.....BUT when you see high battle count players still playing like they are brand new to the game ya really gota wonder why they are not improving and like I said before I now understand why some people rage at others because believe it or not there are players that like to win AND have fun when they play too. 

Thankfully the patch we just had gave me all the reason I needed to un-install XVM and happily go back to vanilla.

DorkBeard_The_Flatulent #2 Posted May 18 2018 - 07:34

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 2112 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

I look at the pretty colors and go "Hey cool. Let's prioritize kills if possible", but I'm a scrub. Or, I'll see the colors and after getting my @$$ handed to me and go "Yup. That purple makes sense."

Otherwise my favorite part about any mod is the crew moving ability. I really try not to get wrapped up in the colors too much. Nice info, but it can really tilt a person.

Bilderberger #3 Posted May 18 2018 - 07:36

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 5379 battles
  • [TBOOM] TBOOM
Umm.  Not everyone is a good gamer, but they like playing the games.  I'm pretty sure every multiplayer game has people who are not good.

Not to mention this game is pretty complex.  More so then the usual shooters.  

Bonehead_1_1 #4 Posted May 18 2018 - 10:55

Private

• -Players-
  • 9630 battles
  • [T_K_M] T_K_M

View PostPlatedmeat, on May 18 2018 - 07:01, said:

Tell ya what, after really looking close at some peoples stats, I started to become one of "those" people....you know, the ones calling people out over xvm stats. I can honestly see why now it happens and it is understandable to me. When you look and see people with 10, 15, 20k+ games played and see what they do in battles and it is very obvious they are making no effort/showing signs of improving over what the stats say it can be frustrating as hell.

YES I KNOW IT'S A GAME...….yes I know the idea is to have fun.....yes I know some people do not care about stats too much.....BUT when you see high battle count players still playing like they are brand new to the game ya really gota wonder why they are not improving and like I said before I now understand why some people rage at others because believe it or not there are players that like to win AND have fun when they play too. 

Thankfully the patch we just had gave me all the reason I needed to un-install XVM and happily go back to vanilla.

You stated above ,how you understand how some people do not care about stats, And yet still griping about the number of battles they have for that person.. Keep in mind not all of us care much  for being the best player in a GAME.. I could be much better in the game IF i cared more about those stats. Yet i like to be aggressive. It bugs the crap out of me to see a whole team go one way ,leaving a whole flank wide open. The (team) all goes one way rushes forward then stops when they encounter the enemy. The whole team then dies right there . Because they are to afraid of pushing forward. A lot of of it is people not watching the map.

I mean why bother following the lemming train ,knowing  9 out of 10 times it will stall out ?  No one wanting to scout is another problem.  The XVM is helpfull to a point. Yet like you already mentioned. It does draw your attention away from what really matters in the game. Like  having fun. Trying out your own ideas, etc etc.  For all you stat padders that sit in the back griping about us on the front lines ,  keep it to your selves.. let us the average to below average players do our thing.  Just because stats do not show a player is a good player . Doesnt  mean they arent good.  Ive had to prove that to a couple people in game. If the stats were my goal, id be much better.    The Xvm like i have uninstalled for the same reasons you mentioned above.  It is distracting ..... imo..

Knagar #5 Posted May 18 2018 - 11:37

Captain

• Players
  • 20105 battles

View PostBilderberger, on May 18 2018 - 01:36, said:

Umm. Not everyone is a good gamer, but they like playing the games. I'm pretty sure every multiplayer game has people who are not good.

Not to mention this game is pretty complex. More so then the usual shooters.

No one said everyone has to be good. The point being made is how can to play 40,000 or more games and still only be as good as when you first started.

Generally doing something over and over again leads to you getting better, not staying the same. 

Putting a little effort into something, even a game, is never a bad thing. Some people just can't be bothered.

And no, this game isn't any more complex than any other game. It's pretty straight forward, take the enemies HPs before they take yours. Not making bad trades, running out yourself ahead of any backup, and so on.

Even taking the time to do a little research would go a long way. Takes but a hot minute to watch a video on YouTube. I personally credit my stats to QB. I know he's become a bit of a WG shill as of late, but the guy can play and has great advice.

You can also join clans like the WoT Academy I think it is, full of good players willing to answer questions, platoon, and help out.

Can try your luck submitting replays the ZevenNA when he streams and he will watch them and tell you where you're going wrong and where you went right. 

The options to help improve are limitless in this game, people just have to want to learn and get better. The amount of people who don't care just frustrates those who do.

Bobomite #6 Posted May 18 2018 - 11:45

Captain

• Players
  • 19090 battles
  • [BOBO] BOBO

View PostKnagar, on May 18 2018 - 04:37, said:

No one said everyone has to be good. The point being made is how can to play 40,000 or more games and still only be as good as when you first started.

XVM is not sliced by time.  So if you see a player with red stats in a tank you have no idea if he ran it 6 years ago and just dusted it off today.

DrWho_ #7 Posted May 18 2018 - 11:47

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 9566 battles

I sort of agree with you OP but I react somewhat differently. If a person has played 10k or more games there's probably nothing I can say that will make a difference so I don't, usually ....I'm only human

However if I see newbie make some idiot moves I may send them a PM after the battle and offer up some advice in a polite manner, not because I'm all that good myself but people have helped me and the least I can do is return the favour by trying to help a rookie avoid some of the more glaring mistakes

KeepYourselfSafe_xD #8 Posted May 18 2018 - 12:00

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 4546 battles
  • [YOUJO] YOUJO

View PostKnagar, on May 18 2018 - 11:37, said:

It's as if you're learning to use a tool and after 40,000 tries you still don't know how to use it close to proper.

edit:

View PostBobomite, on May 18 2018 - 11:45, said:

XVM is not sliced by time.  So if you see a player with red stats in a tank you have no idea if he ran it 6 years ago and just dusted it off today.

Edited by KeepYourselfSafe_xD, May 18 2018 - 12:02.

Kerosedge #9 Posted May 18 2018 - 12:02

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 19353 battles
  • [CRIMZ] CRIMZ
Ban it XVM needs ta go.

DieselDog79 #10 Posted May 18 2018 - 12:26

Captain

• Players
  • 31186 battles
Ran XVM for years.  Last year I got sick of installing mods after every update.  When I was playing vanilla my stats went up by a lot.   I have been XVM free for almost a year and will never install it again.  I'm playing better then I ever have, because I'm not obsessing over other people's game play or that purple player on the enemy team.   

MacDaddyMatty #11 Posted May 18 2018 - 12:47

Major

• -Players-
  • 22947 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

IF XVM showed a players last 1000 battles IN THAT PARTICULAR TANK.

It would be useful.

It doesn't.

flaviosquilla #12 Posted May 18 2018 - 13:46

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 32909 battles
  • [DYNO] DYNO

I used XVM for a long time. I don't know if it was before or after I uninstalled it that I realised even the best players make silly mistakes.

Now I just look at some of the clan tags and then watch how everyone plays (you can easily see who I playing well and who isn't)

Urabouttudie #13 Posted May 18 2018 - 13:58

Captain

• Players
  • 20356 battles

I had to uninstall it because all of the red players on my own teams...

I kept finding myself shooting my own teammates every battle because I couldn't distinguish my own XVM red teammates and the red enemy teammates...

Just wasn't enough yellow, green, blue and purple players to tell the difference between friend and foe...

so I uninstalled it before I got banned

Says #14 Posted May 18 2018 - 16:58

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 12093 battles
It can be pretty depressing lol.

Marchosia #15 Posted May 18 2018 - 17:30

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 17585 battles
Ditched it about a year ago as well.  I honestly felt like I played the player vs playing the tank.  Understanding the tank you're going up against and understanding the tank you're playing, I feel play a larger role in how you react vs how you would react vs. a good player.  I'm not sure if this makes sense.  

Lord_Hiney #16 Posted May 18 2018 - 18:16

Major

• -Players-
  • 13635 battles
I stop using it a year and a half ago or so (followed by going full vanilla about a year ago), and I play better and have more fun without it. Its usefulness is overstated IMO; who gives a [edited] about overalls, and all you need to know about a player is told to you by how they’re playing/positioning/etc. And it just makes it easier to get tilted. I’ll never use it again, and happily so.

_Brew_ #17 Posted May 18 2018 - 18:27

Major

• Players
  • 19674 battles
  • [HARMZ] HARMZ

I don't use any mods.  Never have.  So I really don't know what XVM makes the game interface look like, but based on the descriptions I've heard I imagine something like this:

Urabouttudie #18 Posted May 18 2018 - 21:48

Captain

• Players
  • 20356 battles

View Post_Brew_, on May 18 2018 - 09:27, said:

I don't use any mods.  Never have.  So I really don't know what XVM makes the game interface look like, but based on the descriptions I've heard I imagine something like this:

pretty much...now try and separate your own tomato teammates from the enemy tomatos...

ezover #19 Posted May 18 2018 - 23:10

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 7751 battles
What people fail to take ino account is, some people will never be good, someone's kid could be playing, or like myself I take huge breaks from the game and it takes a long time to start getting what limited skills I have back.

SwedishBob_ #20 Posted May 18 2018 - 23:18

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 1350 battles
  • [MOVE] MOVE
I guess better than XVM does  .......    true story bro   :great:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users