Wargamer won't let me recoup 500 gold - really?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Cheesehead1964 #1 Posted May 18 2018 - 14:33

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 7299 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

I was retraining a Soviet crew member so he could be the extra radio man with BIA in my T-28E w/F-30. I retrained an A-43 crew member but couldn't find him when I went to the T-28 (I figured out later the game shifted it from the barracks to the A-43) so I retrained an extra Loza crew member, then couldn't find him either (also got moved from barracks into the tank). Then I realized that the game had moved both crew members from the barracks to their respective tanks. So I'm out 1000 gold for wanting to retrain one crew member. That's a lot of gold.I asked Wargamer to restore the 500 gold for the Loza crew member, as I only needed to retrain one crew member.

Pretty honest thought dumb mistake. Wargamer's response:

"Hi Cheesehead1964,

Thank you for contacting World of Tanks Support!

Unfortunately, we do not have the tools to add, edit, or otherwise modify crewmen, and will be unable to directly reverse this transaction.

For future reference, here are some examples of things we can and cannot restore:

A few examples of what we can offer to reverse:

• Accidental Gold to Credit conversions
  • Tank Restorations (You can request multiple vehicles per Exception)
  • Accidental Ammunition purchases using Gold
  • Reversing accidental garage slot purchases

Actions we cannot currently reverse:

• Actions dealing with Crew or Crew XP
  • Experience or Research
  • Gold spent on Name Changes or Account Management
  • Actions made regarding Clans or Clan ManagementWe apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, as we can certainly empathize with your situation as we know how long it can take to grind a crew.

We encourage you to read the following knowledge-base article detailing this information here:
What are Exceptions and How Do They Work?

Again, we apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your understanding. If you have any further questions or concerns please check out our FAQ's

Have a great day!"

Wow. Really?

GeorgePreddy #2 Posted May 18 2018 - 14:39

Major

• Players
  • 14345 battles
  • [L_LEG] L_LEG

Seems reasonable to me. Be more careful in the future. Sorry it cost you 500 gold to learn that, but we all learn from our mistakes in life (if we're smart).

Da_Craw #3 Posted May 18 2018 - 14:45

Major

• -Players-
  • 25840 battles
  • [DOG5] DOG5
Had the same thing happen to me.  Seems a bit arbitrary, but I can see it from WGNA's perspective too.  Employee time to fix player mistakes would get expensive fast.

MacDaddyMatty #4 Posted May 18 2018 - 14:50

Major

• -Players-
  • 26594 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

Its a bummer Cheese.

The good news is 500 gold is like $2.75?

YANKEE137 #5 Posted May 18 2018 - 15:16

Major

• -Players-
  • 10283 battles
  • [6-ACR] 6-ACR
Made a similar blunder once, same response.  I don't think it's a good policy for paying customers to get stiffed like that, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

GenPanzer #6 Posted May 18 2018 - 15:23

Major

• Players
  • 39588 battles
Training crew members for premium tanks is your first mistake.

Cheesehead1964 #7 Posted May 18 2018 - 15:32

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 7299 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostGenPanzer, on May 18 2018 - 15:23, said:

Training crew members for premium tanks is your first mistake.

Not what I was doing. Using the T-28E to train the A-43 but the T-28E needs extra radio man and I wanted them all to have BIA so I was retraining someone in the barracks I could do that with.

Silver lining is I damn near aced the T-28E (class 1 with five kills and High Caliber) this morning.

Edited by Cheesehead1964, May 18 2018 - 15:53.

xrays_ #8 Posted May 18 2018 - 15:48

Major

• Players
  • 48673 battles
  • [FELOW] FELOW

I once put 20 gallons of gas in my car when I only wanted 15, so I siphoned out 5 gallons and handed it back to the attendant... He was not impressed.

x.

Cheesehead1964 #9 Posted May 18 2018 - 15:55

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 7299 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View Postxrays_, on May 18 2018 - 15:48, said:

I once put 20 gallons of gas in my car when I only wanted 15, so I siphoned out 5 gallons and handed it back to the attendant... He was not impressed.

x.

Fine. I'm an idiot for training two crew members, but my main gripe is that the stupid program shifted the crew member directly into the other tank. I expected to find it in the barracks when I wanted to use it in the T-28E but it wasn't there.

Pipinghot #10 Posted May 18 2018 - 16:30

Major

• Players
  • 25960 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View Postxrays_, on May 18 2018 - 09:48, said:

Your argument is false for multiple reasons.

1) Just a couple of months ago I returned a $500 dollar air conditioner unit to Home Depot for a full refund, five hundred dollars. Your example is fake, trying to score hypothetical points, my example is real.

2) Returns are a real thing that exist, not a farcical concept as you're trying to imply. Almost every retail business accepts returns even when they are the consumer's fault because it's a smart form of customer service (and remember, this is a retail company).

3) Gallons are a physical commodity (or they would be real, if you weren't making up a fake example) whereas game gold is an artificial construct that's not even made up of pixels. A pixel tank at least has the properties of being something you can use to play the game with. But WoT's game gold (like every other in-game premium currency) is nothing more than an accounting trick to create a false degree of separation between real money and in-game actions. The very fact that game-gold exists is an elaborate con designed to fool rubes like you into thinking that people shouldn't expect customer service in return for their money.

Game companies love to use the excuse "we don't have the tools to do that" or "we can't do that" to reverse transactions, which is only true when they have failed to do their job properly. Any computer transaction is reversable, "can't" is a lie. They write their own code, they create their own game, there is no valid excuse for not being able to reverse transactions involving gold.

Mind you, if the OP had played a bunch of battles with that crew member before asking for the transaction to be reversed, then there might be a legitimate argument for refusing to reverse the transaction, that would be a different discussion.

But if that crewman was sitting in a tank, unused since the conversion, then Wargaming's refusal to reverse the transaction make them the bad actor in this situation.

Cheesehead1964 #11 Posted May 18 2018 - 17:15

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 7299 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostPipinghot, on May 18 2018 - 16:30, said:

Your argument is false for multiple reasons.

1) Just a couple of months ago I returned a $500 dollar air conditioner unit to Home Depot for a full refund, five hundred dollars. Your example is fake, trying to score hypothetical points, my example is real.

2) Returns are a real thing that exist, not a farcical concept as you're trying to imply. Almost every retail business accepts returns even when they are the consumer's fault because it's a smart form of customer service (and remember, this is a retail company).

3) Gallons are a physical commodity (or they would be real, if you weren't making up a fake example) whereas game gold is an artificial construct that's not even made up of pixels. A pixel tank at least has the properties of being something you can use to play the game with. But WoT's game gold (like every other in-game premium currency) is nothing more than an accounting trick to create a false degree of separation between real money and in-game actions. The very fact that game-gold exists is an elaborate con designed to fool rubes like you into thinking that people shouldn't expect customer service in return for their money.

Game companies love to use the excuse "we don't have the tools to do that" or "we can't do that" to reverse transactions, which is only true when they have failed to do their job properly. Any computer transaction is reversable, "can't" is a lie. They write their own code, they create their own game, there is no valid excuse for not being able to reverse transactions involving gold.

Mind you, if the OP had played a bunch of battles with that crew member before asking for the transaction to be reversed, then there might be a legitimate argument for refusing to reverse the transaction, that would be a different discussion.

But if that crewman was sitting in a tank, unused since the conversion, then Wargaming's refusal to reverse the transaction make them the bad actor in this situation.

Exactly. I filed a ticket RIGHT AWAY.

So I can recover a crew I accidentally dismissed (I've done it) and a rare tank I sold (I've done that too), but I can't recover gold for a crew person I accidentally retrained? Really?

The game sent BOTH crew men to their tanks when I expected them to be in the barracks when I went to put them in the T-28E w/F30. That seems like a game malfunction to me. I couldn't find them in the barracks, so I assumed I hadn't trained them right. Very non intuitive.

Maybe Wargamer should look at what I've spent on the game (way too much) and reconsider.

But fine - if they want to lose a regular customer over $2.75. I have a family of six and I regularly bought bikes, accessories, and repairs from a local bike shop. The replaced a tire on a bike that I didn't ride for a week after. The first time I rode the bike, the tube failed. They wouldn't replace it - like a $5 item. I'd spend thousands over the years there, and they lost my business over $5.

Edited by Cheesehead1964, May 18 2018 - 17:27.

Devildog8 #12 Posted May 18 2018 - 17:29

Major

• Players
  • 10231 battles
  • [RSHRK] RSHRK

Had the same issue with a clan tag that got messed up, I asked them if they could help me fix it, response I got we cant fix it, I surely laughed after hearing that excuse, and went on to tell them they were full of it, they own the program they can do whatever they wanted to do, dont hand me that excuse, 10 mins later he was asking me for the updated tag so he manually put it in and he did, so yeah don't listen to the "I cant" crap, they most certainly can.

Keep badgering they will give in, if your in the right

Bada_Bing_Bam_Boom #13 Posted May 18 2018 - 17:52

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 1228 battles

View PostGeorgePreddy, on May 18 2018 - 14:39, said:

Seems reasonable to me. Be more careful in the future. Sorry it cost you 500 gold to learn that, but we all learn from our mistakes in life (if we're smart).

That sounds pretty mean to me. Also terrible business tact. You sir would never prosper as a business person if thats how you handled your client base. 

World of Warcraft is a good example of a good company with good rules. If a player screws up they simply revert the situation back to propr to the screwup.

WOW does this because they know the money is still going to get spent so why make an enemy of a player by strong arming them, instead make the customer a fan by simply helping them.

There is NO excuse for not returning his gold other than "too bad your loss".

WangOnTheLoose #14 Posted May 18 2018 - 19:01

Major

• -Players-
  • 25731 battles
  • [TG] TG
I did something similar a while ago, pretty much the same response.  Not that I blame them but they should let you undo anything training \ skill wise until you actually play a battle with the crew member.

Pipinghot #15 Posted May 18 2018 - 19:23

Major

• Players
  • 25960 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View PostWangOnTheLoose, on May 18 2018 - 13:01, said:

I did something similar a while ago, pretty much the same response.  Not that I blame them but they should let you undo anything training \ skill wise until you actually play a battle with the crew member.

You should blame them, it's ok to do so, and you should be persistent. Consumers need to be persistent in order to show companies that they need to be responsive.

TLWiz #16 Posted May 19 2018 - 01:45

Major

• -Players-
  • 20567 battles
  • [DSSRT] DSSRT

View PostBada_Bing_Bam_Boom, on May 18 2018 - 17:52, said:

That sounds pretty mean to me. Also terrible business tact. You sir would never prosper as a business person if thats how you handled your client base. 

World of Warcraft is a good example of a good company with good rules. If a player screws up they simply revert the situation back to propr to the screwup.

WOW does this because they know the money is still going to get spent so why make an enemy of a player by strong arming them, instead make the customer a fan by simply helping them.

There is NO excuse for not returning his gold other than "too bad your loss".

The customer is not always right and the load on customer support if they allowed reversals on any in game (and allowing unlimited account databse editing access to CS) spend no matter how minor would be quite expensive. I have screwed up too, but it is on me. Sorry about your gold though. A $2 lesson I guess. They do have a pretty long list of things they will cover.

Edited by TLWiz, May 19 2018 - 01:46.

_War_Lock #17 Posted May 19 2018 - 01:48

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 16242 battles
They aren’t too helpful with reversing our mistakes. I made a big free xp conversation mistake which they could/would not correct for me. I now know too, to be careful with any gold expenditures. 

Bada_Bing_Bam_Boom #18 Posted May 19 2018 - 03:07

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 1228 battles

View PostTLWiz, on May 19 2018 - 01:45, said:

The customer is not always right and the load on customer support if they allowed reversals on any in game (and allowing unlimited account databse editing access to CS) spend no matter how minor would be quite expensive. I have screwed up too, but it is on me. Sorry about your gold though. A $2 lesson I guess. They do have a pretty long list of things they will cover.

doesnt cost them anything to correct a players mistake, other than wage covering the 5 minutes of time needed to correct the issue. 

please dont make excuses for WOT they are a company playing on a world stage, they should be held accountable just as any other good company.

There is no debate, just a choice of doing the right thing or the wrong thing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users