Okay Im confused about which TD line to go with.

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Bada_Bing_Bam_Boom #1 Posted May 25 2018 - 16:44

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 1228 battles

So I just learned about campaigns and how we can get free tanks after completing a crap load of missions. I have decided on the American SPG line for the arty missions. I keep reading that I should be doing Russians for the heavy line because its easier to learn in. As for lights Im thinking the Russian line and that leaves me with the TD's

I keep reading post that say the German line is bad for starting but then I also read others who say its not too bad. My issue is two things. I want to use the German line because the accuracy seems to be best within the German lines. I want to be that sniper guy, way at the back so I think accuracy should be at the top of my list?

My other question about the German TD line is why are there two lines and whats the diff, I seem to like the hetz/stug line till tier 5idh snd the other line looks good from t6 and up?

So I guess Im just looking for some thoughts about whats the diff between the two german lines and which line would be better for a player who wants to snipe a lot rather than battle up close.

The_Illusive_Man #2 Posted May 25 2018 - 16:56

Major

• -Players-
  • 12743 battles
  • [RDDT] RDDT

So, this is the best chance to influence a new player. I would hold off on both the missions, and any TD line for now. Concentrate on learning the game, and getting some good tanks, and crews.

To improve, I would watch these guys:

_Marine

Circonflexes

SirFoch

LemmingRush

https://www.youtube....-6umt_NOCR709Ng (Taugrim)

https://www.youtube....BdByoYXbydaoBzQ (Orzanel)

(Formating messed up for some reason...)

There are some others, Ill update those later, when I can get on twitch.

Edited by The_Illusive_Man, May 25 2018 - 17:11.

nasfan #3 Posted May 25 2018 - 16:58

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 24517 battles
I used the American turreted TD line (leading to the T110E4) to complete TD15-1 (T28 Proto) and TD15-2 (T30).  Turrets do make things easier.  

dominator_98 #4 Posted May 25 2018 - 17:00

Major

• -Players-
  • 20151 battles
  • [NUFFS] NUFFS

The Grille line gets good at tier 8 for most players, but I enjoyed the tier 5-7 as well. The Grille line has no armor, so it’s trickier to play because spotted = dead. The other line generally has slower tanks with more armor and less accurate guns. At your battle count, you’ll probably enjoy the armor of the JPE100 line. The tanks in the Grille 15 line require you to know good map positions and have an excellent understanding of vision mechanics. 

Many of the guns are shared between the mid tiers, so if you change your mind at tier 7, you’ll have a lot of work done already. Also, none of the reward tanks are especially good, so don’t play tanks you hate just to get the reward.

Fiend_73 #5 Posted May 25 2018 - 17:37

Sergeant

• Players
  • 52315 battles

I've played a ton of games in German TD's and I'm here to say if you want to do one line of TD's go with the Swedes.

Swedish accuracy > German accuracy

As for the diffs between the 2 German lines, the big one is the rhm gets a turret and so do the 9 and 10 after it.

The other line is better armored but by no means should be a front line TD. Not even the tier 10 because its so slow and the reload is long, easy to get flanked. JagPZE100.

There are 2 lines because at the time everyone was whining the Germans didn't have auto loaders so WG gave us TD auto loaders. Then the tier 10 waffle was so OP it was nerfed and eventually removed.

I will stick to my advice of going the Swedish TD line. I've never played a TD with such accuracy it can hit a dodging fast light tank with auto aim barely in my render circle.

Camo will be your best bet for crew skills asap.

Almighty_Johnson #6 Posted May 25 2018 - 17:48

Captain

• -Players-
  • 21909 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

View PostBada_Bing_Bam_Boom, on May 25 2018 - 10:44, said:

So I just learned about campaigns and how we can get free tanks after completing a crap load of missions. I have decided on the American SPG line for the arty missions. I keep reading that I should be doing Russians for the heavy line because its easier to learn in. As for lights Im thinking the Russian line and that leaves me with the TD's

I keep reading post that say the German line is bad for starting but then I also read others who say its not too bad. My issue is two things. I want to use the German line because the accuracy seems to be best within the German lines. I want to be that sniper guy, way at the back so I think accuracy should be at the top of my list?

My other question about the German TD line is why are there two lines and whats the diff, I seem to like the hetz/stug line till tier 5idh snd the other line looks good from t6 and up?

So I guess Im just looking for some thoughts about whats the diff between the two german lines and which line would be better for a player who wants to snipe a lot rather than battle up close.

I completely agree with The_Illusive_Man.  Wait to start the missions till you have a better grasp of the game.  WoT is really easy to learn (in theory) but has a VERY steep learning curve to master.  He quoted all the go-to video guys.  I'm partial to Lemming Rush and Taugrim, though when you are just starting out, Quicky Baby can also be good.

Most people don't really start to gain competency for about 5,000 battles.  (sooner if you get real training out of the gate)

You also will need to take the time to grind out tank lines and develop your own style.  Plus you need the time to build crew skills.  Every time I start anew line, I'm reminded how much of a performance difference a 3-5 skill crew makes over a stock one.

At this point, just sponge up info, enjoy the game while you explore it, develop skills and technique, and perhaps join a teaching clan.  (H-Hour is a good one)  If you see me around, you can also hit me up.  I'd be happy to get you in Teamspeak and help you out.

Welcome to World of Tanks.  GL/HF

DVK9 #7 Posted May 25 2018 - 17:50

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 24924 battles
  • [-TX-] -TX-

View Postdominator_98, on May 25 2018 - 10:00, said:

The Grille line gets good at tier 8 for most players, but I enjoyed the tier 5-7 as well. The Grille line has no armor, so it’s trickier to play because spotted = dead. The other line generally has slower tanks with more armor and less accurate guns. At your battle count, you’ll probably enjoy the armor of the JPE100 line. The tanks in the Grille 15 line require you to know good map positions and have an excellent understanding of vision mechanics. 

Many of the guns are shared between the mid tiers, so if you change your mind at tier 7, you’ll have a lot of work done already. Also, none of the reward tanks are especially good, so don’t play tanks you hate just to get the reward.

I just want my waffle back and they can have the grille 15 and I will toss in 10 more tanks to sweeten the pot

AndrewSledge #8 Posted May 25 2018 - 18:11

Captain

• -Players-
  • 31380 battles
Unless you're planning on going all the way to high tiers quickly (and I recommend you don't), I think the best low tier TDs to grind the first set of missions in is the US turreted TD line. The tier 4 M8A1, tier 5 T67, and tier 6 Hellcat are all excellent TDs, and their turrets make things much easier. Both German lines are good, but I would recommend the armored line for beginners. The Hetzer, Stug III, and JgPz IV are decent, but you will find them more difficult to play and more frustrating than the Americans.

dominator_98 #9 Posted May 25 2018 - 19:22

Major

• -Players-
  • 20151 battles
  • [NUFFS] NUFFS

View PostDVK9, on May 25 2018 - 10:50, said:

I just want my waffle back and they can have the grille 15 and I will toss in 10 more tanks to sweeten the pot

How about no. They need to do more removing and nerfing of stupid tanks, not bring them back.

Bada_Bing_Bam_Boom #10 Posted May 25 2018 - 20:43

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 1228 battles

Hey everyone, thanks for so much good imput.

I have been watching my friends play for years and it obviously has helped a bit but I know I am still a noob.

I tried something that seemed to work well, My friend said to grind my italian tank to T4 and then buy a 100% trained crew and grind them up to one or two skills. I think I will do the same thing here. I am going with the German line for accuracy and for my Step Mom being German (she will get a kick out of the crew voices). I think I will take go to T5 and then grind out a few skills for the crew then move up the Grille 15 side (seems more like a sniper). I had thought about doing the Swedish line but it just doesnt make me want to do it, nothing special IMO.

I wont be going crazy trying to fullfill campaigns but it sure does add some reason to play. I would love to get the extra credits and a tan or two would be nice.

OH yeah, Just curious, seems weird that the first reward is the same as the T5 German TD thats in the game, I look at the stats of the tank and the original seems to be a little better?

Thanks again for all the imput guys.

3nr0n #11 Posted May 25 2018 - 23:18

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 18189 battles
  • [K-H] K-H

T67 will help you get a lot of the missions done, like killing without being spotted, or getting 3x times you hp in damage.  I have the t67 in my garage and using it for the HTC campaign.

Be patient on the completion of the campaigns, and sooner or later the missions will complete themselves.  And if you didn't already know it you don't have to do them in order 1-15 you can pick and choose a mission, say mission 7 but mission 3 has not be completed yet.

Captain_Rownd #12 Posted May 25 2018 - 23:45

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 2316 battles
Swedish is the correct answer, IMNSHO

Bada_Bing_Bam_Boom #13 Posted May 26 2018 - 05:13

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 1228 battles

View Post3nr0n, on May 25 2018 - 23:18, said:

T67 will help you get a lot of the missions done, like killing without being spotted, or getting 3x times you hp in damage.  I have the t67 in my garage and using it for the HTC campaign.

Be patient on the completion of the campaigns, and sooner or later the missions will complete themselves.  And if you didn't already know it you don't have to do them in order 1-15 you can pick and choose a mission, say mission 7 but mission 3 has not be completed yet.

View Post3nr0n, on May 25 2018 - 23:18, said:

Didnt know that, thank you

RC_1140 #14 Posted May 26 2018 - 05:22

Captain

• Players
  • 58750 battles
  • [-NHL-] -NHL-

STRV 103B is hands down the best sniper td at t10. Best camo and best accuracy with good pen, good mobility, and trolly armor (vs certain calibers). 

T8-10 is good but I think below that the line is meh so its something you will work towards. T67 is good for a lower tier and the SU 152 worked really well for me, did the 4k damage mission with it when I had few high tier tds. 

I did do some of the missions I was having issues with in the jpz e100 but I can't recommend it. 

Edited by RC_1140, May 26 2018 - 05:25.

Bada_Bing_Bam_Boom #15 Posted May 26 2018 - 06:38

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 1228 battles

View PostRC_1140, on May 26 2018 - 05:22, said:

STRV 103B is hands down the best sniper td at t10. Best camo and best accuracy with good pen, good mobility, and trolly armor (vs certain calibers). 

T8-10 is good but I think below that the line is meh so its something you will work towards. T67 is good for a lower tier and the SU 152 worked really well for me, did the 4k damage mission with it when I had few high tier tds. 

I did do some of the missions I was having issues with in the jpz e100 but I can't recommend it. 

Fine Ill say no to de Germans!

Guess I will have to get The Swedish MOdel Team to be my crew from the missions.

Niiiice

TankFullOfBourbon #16 Posted May 26 2018 - 14:05

Major

• Players
  • 26176 battles
  • [DHO6] DHO6
Dont be that sniper guy at the back or any other guh at the back, OP.

Bada_Bing_Bam_Boom #17 Posted May 26 2018 - 15:28

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 1228 battles

View PostTankFullOfBourbon, on May 26 2018 - 14:05, said:

this confuses me, I thought snipers tried to stay at the maximum distance?

My friends say to stay as far back using sight rings and then once you shoot, to back up and then stop to shoot again and back up etc?

Hmmm

3nr0n #18 Posted May 26 2018 - 16:07

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 18189 battles
  • [K-H] K-H

There are a lot of variables and each match is different, you have to watch the mini map, see where your team is pushing and where they are defending.  Keeping  your tank at a distance will help but you cannot effectively engage targets that are beyond your render range.  Knowing your view range and working it to your advantage is part of the fight and being flexible enough to move to support a flank is part of it. 

Knowing the maps and areas that the enemy are likely to be set up or moving to or moving through is a large part of playing a TD.  Experienced players will be 95% certain that TD's will be in certain spots on certain maps and you can either target those areas by blind firing them if there is not an enemy spotted there or try and maneuver into a position that will allow you to spot/engage the enemy in that location.

Your light tanks are your friend and the longer they stay alive to spot for you the more chances you have to win/survive.  Supporting them and the other team members by positioning yourself in a location that you can engage the targets that are spotted is vital.  Your role as a TD is not to camp but provide support for either the attack or the defense depending on the TD you are playing.  I am not saying that you cannot sit and watch a likely avenue of approach but if you see that the enemy has overwhelming numbers on one side of the map and you have not spotted/shot at anyone on the other side of the map relocate to support.  Remember your vehicle has tracks on it and it can move.

When I play my Jagtiger I run with the heavies and fight on the front in a support role but when I am playing my T67 I maneuver around behind the heavies/mediums taking shots at the spotted enemy to help kill them track them or just deny them an area to either poke out from or move from cover to cover.

Lean the maps, learn the basic game mechanics, and watch the mini map and last but not least remember it's a game and have fun.

Captain_Rownd #19 Posted May 26 2018 - 20:13

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 2316 battles

View PostBada_Bing_Bam_Boom, on May 26 2018 - 04:28, said:

My friends say to stay as far back using sight rings and then once you shoot, to back up and then stop to shoot again and back up etc?

Hmmm

Whatever gets the job done.  Sometimes you have the luxury of sitting way back, but you'll have a lower hit rate at that larger distance and will be able to do less of your own spotting from there. If there isn't cover (city/corridor maps) or you choose to fire from an exposed spot like a ridgeline you will need to abuse the zone between maximum spotting and draw distances as much as possible.  

View Post3nr0n, on May 26 2018 - 05:07, said:

Experienced players will be 95% certain that TD's will be in certain spots on certain maps and you can either target those areas by blind firing them if there is not an enemy spotted there or try and maneuver into a position that will allow you to spot/engage the enemy in that location.

People say stuff like that a lot but any bush with a line of fire towards where the enemy happens to be spotted will work, and that cover is all over most maps.  Given that the enemy is always moving around I don't sit in the same place every battle.  (though I don't use any of the big barn-shaped TDs which are harder to hide)

FrontenacDuVandoo #20 Posted May 27 2018 - 03:56

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 8652 battles

View PostBada_Bing_Bam_Boom, on May 26 2018 - 09:28, said:

View PostTankFullOfBourbon, on May 26 2018 - 14:05, said:

Hmmm

Ignore him. Just like you can ignore all the people who will tell you to not play SPG.

Being in the back is ok as a TD, as long as you're not too far back. Just make sure to move up as your flank gains ground. Keep an eye on the mini-map, if you see that the enemies are only outside your render range it's time to move up.

What you want to avoid is playing so much defense that you only start shooting once the enemy has gained ground.

It takes some time to find that ground, and also to recognize the situations where you need to stay back vs. the one where you should move up.

As for choosing a line I really like the German line myself, with the StuG III G at tier 5 being a favorite and really good at doing the sniper at a distance. The gun is really accurate and can has good pen.

The Swedish TD only start to get going at tier 6, lower than that they're rather average.

Don't be afraid to test them both if you're not sure. This isn't a race, and there's no harm in switching around.

Edited by FrontenacDuVandoo, May 27 2018 - 04:02.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users